March chat

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: March chat

Just had a lovely pork chop with a just as delectable beer.  Yum, yum, yum.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I could go for a beer, but for some reason I think my job wouldn't approve : )  I will drink it vicariously through you!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I'll probably get something from Trader Joe's.  A salad maybe :) 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ambergirl, I'd share if I could!  Winter, I hope you find something tasty.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Kar, can you post your potato pancake recipe? Thanks!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

They have a really good greek pasta and a chicken ceasar, not sure what I'll choose.  Dinner we are having chicken with shake and bake.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sure, Liz.  It's enough of a variant of the Joy of Cooking version that I guess it's OK, but it's based on that.

Winter, I love shake n bake for everything.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Kargivers/Joy of Cooking's Potato Pancakes

6 medium potatoes
    2 lg eggs, lightly beaten
    1 large onion, minced
    1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs (I like Progresso's Parmesan)
    3 Tbl all purpose flour
    1 tsp Kosher salt
    1 tsp smoked paprika (optional)
    1/2 tsp ground pepper

Boil (parboil) potatoes for 10 - 12 minutes (a metal skewer should go through with some resistance; they should not be done all the way), drain, soak in cold water to cool, drain, peel, and grate.  Yield 2 cups grated potatoes.  If you don't have enough, grate peeled raw ones to make up the difference.

In the meantime, mix all other ingredients.  Add potatoes, combine, and fry on a medium-hot griddle with canola oil until well browned.  If not serving immediately transfer to pre-heated toaster oven.

I served them with a mixture of 1/2 hummus, 1/2 fat free sour cream.  Delicious!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I don't believe I was looking for any input whether I should use it or not. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I get migraines, but they have nothing do with MSG.  No allergies in my household of MSG.  Carry on. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Thanks Kar, looks pretty simple! :) I have been craving them so bad lately!

Winter, did you get migraines when you were pregnant? I have had 2 or 3 and it is so debilitating, especially when all you can take is Tylenol.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

This is very old information.  I have been aware of MSG for many years. Unless you have allergies, no worries.  Reminds me of a funny saying, "I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned most people die of natural causes."  Carry on with your Shake and Bake Winter!  Stuff is good and hasn't killed anyone yet : )

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleFilly. Show LittleFilly's posts

In Response to Re: March chat:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: March chat : More important, what did you think of the Parenthood finale?     
    Posted by dog-lady[/QUOTE]

Bittersweet! Loved the wedding; loved that Julia was able to adopt another child; was intrigued that said other child was not who she was looking for - but she and her husband now get to keep a wee one out of foster care. Sadz that Hattie will be in Cornell when Parenthood returns (but happy for her).

How did you like it, DL?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Liz how are you and the little one doing? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleFilly. Show LittleFilly's posts

I don't understand parents who won't take the effort to prepare a meal that their child actually likes.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

OMG !  Just came in to see what was happening on the boards - they're baaaack! Gave me a laugh and a half anyway.

Winter your supper sounds good to me.  Made up some cole slaw this afternoon to go with chicken tenders - I was going to do a stirfry.  Have one packet of the Shake and Bake left, think I'll do a quick bake of them in that instead.  Thanks for the idea.  Enjoy.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

tt, see what happens when you leave???  LOL!  I have no idea what I am going to have.  I have some chicken defrosted but not sure what I want to go with it or even if I want to cook it.  Might be a cereal night.  Cold and raw out.  Hope I don't wait too long for my bus.

ETA:  Looks like BDC lent a helping hand : )

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I pulled the card table out into the middle of the l.r. and have been working on the puzzle.  Great day to do it, found an unsolved crime program on one of my new channels and watched a couple of segments of that while doing the puzzle.  Had no idea you guys were having so much fun here with unexpected "guests"!  Have a good night, Amber and Winter.  Chat tomorrow.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

You have a good night too tt.  Chat tomorrow everyone!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, my...go for a nice walk in the woods and come back to this, again.

Anyway, Liz, the potatoes are super quick and easy.  Even quicker and easier if you like them a little on the crunchy side (which I don't as much); you can grate them all raw without parboiling first.  Oh, I add a cup of grated cheese, too, but lessen the salt if you do that.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleFilly. Show LittleFilly's posts

In Response to Re: March chat:
    [QUOTE]exacerbate migraine symptoms in some people includes: Cheese Chocolate Citrus fruits Hot dogs Monosodium glutamate Aspartame Fatty foods Ice cream Caffeine withdrawal Alcoholic drinks, especially red wine and beer                                        BTW: A neurologist will tell you that if you have migraines to avoid all the above foods including all artificial sweeteners (stevia too).
    Posted by dog-lady[/QUOTE]

Excellent. Thank you, DL!

That Stevia business is a racket.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, I've been meaning to ask you about the texture of the potatoes when you put them in pancakes raw instead of parboiling first.  I know you prefer them that way - are they soft?  A little crunchier/chewier?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I've only had them that way so don't know any other - but I think they probably are a little meatier.  Certainly get cooked.  It's much quicker, so worth a try unless you prefer a softer texture.  I've posted it before, grated potatoes, grated onion, an egg, salt and pepper, and enough flour to hold together, drop into vegetable oil in skillet, turning once, and draining on paper towels.  I bought potatoes this week but no sour cream, so will have them, probably Sat night with applesauce.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

My MIL is coming over for a wheat-free dinner....I am going to shut the computer off for the night...Thanks again Kar for helping me out this morning... our collective conversations brightened up my day!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, tt, for the description.  I'll try them sometime when I'm in a hurry and haven't planned ahead.  I do like them very soft, but if you like the the other way I'm sure that's good, too!

icer, it was my pleasure to help you post that great photo for everyone to enjoy. You and the rest of the Chatters are always welcome to send me your photos to make totally anonymous to post.

Sections
Shortcuts