March chat

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Re: March chat

Good to know. I have both, but think I will stick with the original recipe of white. I am now looking forward to making it : )

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I always had a nagging concern about my tendancy toward depression (and having had it severely for a few years) with respect to getting pregnant because the lack of sleep, hormones, anxiety everyone has about being a parent, ...the list goes on and on of exaserbating conditions.  And, you had that intense scare last week with your hubby choking; I'm sure that's still a huge impact on your emotional well-being.  But, the good news is that pregnancy is temporary even if it feels like forever.  9 months with quite a few behind you already, Liz.

Thanks, ladies, yes, I'm feeling much better.  Pingo, you know it - DH definitely coming home today is pepping me up!

Re Hunger Games, I'm intrigued by our different interest levels in it, too.  I thought mm's story about her son reading by flashlight to hide his interest in "all things macarbre" was awesome.

I better get to my to-do list.  

Later,
    ~kar

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I have a slew of things to get done today too, with cousin coming tomorrow and G.T. (only possibly now with forecast of rain - doesn't work well with raking and bagging leaves!) coming Sat.  I'll check in later.  Toodle - -

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

It is funny how each generation has its own "fear" of what and how the younger generation will react to things....I have a very clear memory of being in grade school and doing those clapping games...for example"Old lady Mack, Mack Mack...All dressed in Black..Black Black" Only we were doing the clapping game to Paul Simon and Art Gunfunkle's "Cecilia".....There is a line"Waking up in my bedroom with Cecelia.." We said it in the clapping game and we were wisked off to the Principal's office...a much different time

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I have always used the apple cider vinegar, and it has always come out perfect, so I don't think it matters, whichever vinegar one uses. I googled Wowie cake, and found it interesting, that there are so many nick names for the same cake. Wacky Cake, Dump it Cake, Crazy Cake, Depression Cake - are a few of them. The recipes, which are all the same, are from the 1940s, when dairy products were scarce.
    It must be good, since it survived all these years. And it is. Think I will make a batch of Wowie cup cakes tonight - Pingo

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Amber I too used regular vinegar and I used vegetable oil, because that is what I had at home.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Pingo, I think the best recipes were from the depression era.  Woman really had to put on their thinking caps to make food stretch. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Kar, I do think what happened last week is effecting me greatly. I've been doing a lot of research and anxiety/depression is more common than people think in pregnancy. But, you have to get proper help immediately, or it can become more severe. Throughout my research, I am shocked to see how many women suffer from PDD, and suffer alone, afraid to get help due to worrying about what society will think of them. I've also learned that it is very hard for many people to ask for the help that they need, because unfortunately, mental illness can be seen as a stigma. All reasons why I am going to work on this NOW, rather than waiting to see if it gets worse. Thanks for all of your support and input.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Have any of you read Brad Meltzer, Joseph Finder or Preston & Childs?  If you haven't look them up, they write some great books.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I am going to make the Wowie cake for a family that has just bought a business here in town...They are from India and I know India folk shy away from eggs..I thought it would be a perfect "Welcome to the neighborhood/business Community" offering

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

liz, I applaud you for your courage. You're on the right track.  In the meantime, please know you are in my thoughts and prayers.

pingo, I remember how controversial 'Catcher in the Rye' was at the time.  Seems so silly now.  That was one of the infamous "banned in Boston" books! I'll have to ask my DIL what my GS's are reading in high school these days. 

kar, his fascination started with Edgar Allan Poe and progressed from there. As winter said in an earlier post, you always wonder if you're doing the right thing.  I used to wonder why would he want to read such things and did my best to discourage it.  I soon realized I could not really control what he was reading and backed off.  Always kept a wary eye on him though!  Just part of who he is.

mothermitzi       

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I love to read Winter.  I am going to look them up now on my book club and add what I like to my wish list. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Great idea icer.  I bought my morning glory seeds last week.

mothermitzi

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Liz, ditto what mm said....  My DD does not like to read.  I didn't get it at all.  I read to her every night when she was young.  Being an avid reader since I was a child, I thought it was something I did.  I know realize too that is just who she is. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Liz, being able to relate to much of what you are going through, I'm EXTREMELY proud of you for handling it this way.  Part of the illness is avoidance, and forcing yourself to deal with it head on is a very big deal.  And, it will prove to be the thing that gets you through it successfully and healthfully.  I have every hope for your very bright future even though fear is overwhelming you at the moment.  Trust that it's a temporary, albeit real, thing you have to deal with right now.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In Response to Re: March chat:
    [QUOTE]I am going to make the Wowie cake for a family that has just bought a business here in town...They are from India and I know India folk shy away from eggs..I thought it would be a perfect "Welcome to the neighborhood/business Community" offering
    Posted by icer[/QUOTE]

Remember Icer, this is not a tip out of the cake pan cake, it is very moist and I don't think it would do well with trying to get it out all in one piece - I may be wrong, but I always served it cut in squares from the pan, so I would advise baking it in a dish/pan you want to include as your gift.  Let me know if you do take it out all in one piece, I may try that next time - after you do the experimenting!  LOL  Glad to see this old CC recipe making a comeback.

ETA:  Hats made this cake not too long ago, maybe she'll tell us how she presented it -

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In Response to Re: March chat:
    [QUOTE]Liz, ditto what mm said....  My DD does not like to read.  I didn't get it at all.  I read to her every night when she was young.  Being an avid reader since I was a child, I thought it was something I did.  I know realize too that is just who she is. 
    Posted by ambergirl[/QUOTE]

Amber, I read to my 4 boys all the time and out of them, only the oldest 2 like to read.  I read from the time I could go to the library, and my only sister read only a magazine, what was it, I remember - "True Confessions"!  LOL

ETA:  Winter when I was in the library last week I saw a book whose binding said Oh, your post is beyond my reading it now, the one with two names P and somebody - didn't pull it out, but next time I'm in there, I'll take it off the shelf and give it a look/see.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Oh my God, I read True Confessions tt!!  I ran errands for the elderly in my neighborhood when I was 10 years old to get money to buy comic books. I also worked at the Public Library when I was 13.  I read every day when I was a kid.  I feel better knowing not all your boys like reading.  Just always baffled me that some people don't like to read.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I think it's a personality thing, really.  My mom read to me avidly from the time I was born, too, and I'm not much of a reader, although, I do read books now and again.  I was much more of a reader when I was younger, but I was an only child, we moved a lot, and I was often sick with asthma related illnesses.  What else was I going to do, really.

ETA:  mm, I JUST remembered something you'll totally appreciate.  My mother was 100% against anything not age appropriate with respect to violence, sex, whatever, and I always obeyed her wishes even implicitly with things she didn't expressly say I couldn't read or watch.  Except once.  I found an Agatha Christi book when I was 9 at a yard sale that I KNEW she wouldn't approve of my reading, and I secretly bought it and did what your son did...read it under the covers with the flashlight.  I actually remember the page that made me think, "Hm, I think this is what my mom would disapprove of," it was a graphic description of the murdered woman, her "blue face" at the bottom of the stairs is still etched in my mind, but I wouldn't say I'm scarred by it, LOL. :)  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Is "True Confessions" still around, Amber, or was that when you were running errands for the elderly?  I used to be embarrasssed when she would send me to the store to buy it for her (she was in her 20's then and I thirteen years younger).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Preston & Child.  They each write on there own as well, but I'm addicted to the stuff they right together.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Icer, tt is right. You can't get it out of the pan in one piece. You could try to mix it in a bowl and line your pan with parchment paper making sure it sticks out of the pan, so you can lift it out that way. Or make cupcakes. Indians love cupcakes; it is a big thing for them.
    So sweet of you to make the new family a cake. Make sure to tell them it is egg less - or they may not touch it. - Pingo

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I don't think it is tt.  I use to steal my sisters Embarassed  lol!  Icer, I think that is so sweet what you are doing.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Amber, could you DD be dyslexic? Our youngest son couldn't get enough books to read, while it took a lot of pain for our eldest to read his assigned books. It wasn't until high school we found out he was dyslexic. He was a smart kid and learned everything by memory, thus not have to actually read his text books, when he was younger. But it caught up with him in high school, where the teachers just assigned chapters to read on their own. He really struggled. He was on the honor roll and took APs in math and science classes, but he almost failed English in his senior class, not being able to graduate. The schools headmaster solved the problem, by having him "read" books on tape. He realized, the kid had a problem and was no dummy. - Pingo

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

No, she's not dyslexic.  Always did well in school and graduated with Honors.  She just doesn't like to sit and read. It bores her : )