March chat

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: March chat

What adorable photos to return to.  I can see why you thought Cheerio was outside for a second, ambergirl.  Cheerio has the cutest places to hang out.  And, that Yoda!  He's sexy and he knows it ("naked" M&M commercial music playing).  

I've got our ticket...DH wanted 20, but I reminded him that going from 0 tickets to 1 is huge since you can't win if you don't play, but going from 1 ticket to 20 is just a waste of 19 more dollars.  He agreed, so we're in for as little as possible.  And, I'll wait 'til we win to give myself a headache thinking about what we'll possibly do with our 1/2 a billion dollar take.

And, I've got to get the beef rinsed and all nestled in its braising pot...so off I go to the kitchen.  Can you smell the brine?  Mmmmm...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I love that M&M commercial : )  Wish I was having corned beef...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Well, I'm trusting you ladies to be right about the brine keeping the meat safe, but I have a tiny bit of doubt (no offense - if I didn't really believe you I'd toss it in the trash) so we'll try it on ourselves before we have you over for sandwiches tomorrow. ;)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Try googling it on one of the food sites.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

No, I know you're right.  Honestly, I'd have tossed it, otherwise!

ETA:  Here's proof - he's safely nestled in his allspice, pepper, bay leaf, infused hot bath. :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Seriously, better safe than sorry.  Google brining corned beef and see if you did it per safety instructions.

ETA:  I think you said you had followed Alton Brown's recipe.  Out of curiosity, I just googled it, it certainly sounds pretty straight forward.  Dying to know how it turns out.

Cleaned out linen closet and then medicine cabinet, condensing 3 pkgs. of bandaids into one and throwing out bits and pieces, saving only the latest scripts.  One box is full of previous "treasures" from linen closet that will go off with G.T. next time they are here, and a little later I may tackle the toyroom closet/shelf.  More boxes coming from G.T.and DIL.

Have a great week-end everyone.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Well, as best I can tell it should be OK.  I followed the instructions to the letter.  My only question was that the use by date was 4 days ago, but you all said that the brine extends that - I can't find a thing that addresses that particular issue with brining.  But, what you guys said makes total sense to me - if it was going to be OK without any preservatives through 4 days ago, it would be OK with salt and sugar to preserve it for 6 more days.  It smells soooo good, I'd be stunned if it were actually bad.  Thanks for your concern, though - I've had food poisoning, and know it's not fun.

ETA:  Yes, I used Alton Brown's, but since DH doesn't care for saltier things, I reduced the salt by 25%.  75% of the salt plus the sugar should be enough to preserve it, though, I think. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

That is one of my favorite commercials Kar.  Corned beef looks good. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Mine, too, Winter - I get miffed when they play the shortened version!

Just got back from our walk, and the house smells so good.  Now, to add the veggies...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Success!  And, I recommend Alton Brown's recipe with a 25% reduction in salt - it was PERFECT.  The taste of the seasonings, especially the juniper berries was very prevalent, moreso than in any store bought one I've ever had.  The flavors were absolutely excellent.  I doubled the cabbage, but other than that followed the recipe exactly.  DH concurs - BEST EVER, and wishes there were more meat, and he's usually one who prefers a vegetarian meal. Next time I'll brine two at a time.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I know everyone is probably sound asleep right now but I have insomnia at times and this is my lucky night : ( On the up side I havr crafted msny recipes from it. I decided to bake the Wowie cake tonight as a test. As I am wiping the cake off my face, may I say it is delicious! ! I bought whipped cream and Lord did it just make it better! I am going to refrigerate what is left and make a new batch tomorrow for my friend. Thank YOU tt for such an awesome recipe : ) back to reading Hunger Games and hoping I get tired. Chat tomorrow my friends.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

May I add I preheated my oven and added 15 minutes and checked it after 30 minutes AND ended up testing it with toothpick and finger... Ended up being done at 34 minutes.. lmao!' ETA: See! I did pay attention!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Amber after your sleepless night, I hope you're sleeping in this morning.  I had busy dreams in vivid color, after I got into one of the bags of Easter jelly beans watching TV!  Glad you like the cake, I don't know of anyone yet who hasn't liked it if they were a chocolate lover.

Your corned beef dinner looks scrumptious, Kargiver.  Are you glad you went to all the prep now?  How big a piece of meat was it to begin with?  They do shrink down.

Glad to see no snow on the ground when I got up, and so sorry, to hear the winning ticket was sold in MD.  I'll unpack my bags for Grammercy Park.  Cheerio had confiscated a box yesterday and had begun putting her scratching box, comb, and a couple of stuffed mice in it, ready to go at a moment's notice.

Amber, usually Mothermitzi is up late nights too, surprised she didn't jump in when she saw your insomnia post.  I used to love to get up mornings and see her post waiting there from the previous night.  Like having a letter waiting for you.

Still on a cleaning out mode, so I'll see what soft stuff I can pull out today and pack in bags, only had the one box.  First a nice breakfast of scrambled eggs, pumperknickel toast, coffee.  Hope to see chatting later on.  Have a good day.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

Congrats on a successful Wowie Cake, Ambergirl!!  Any left?  Hint, hint...

Absolutely, tt - I am SO happy for the trouble, and, honestly, the hardest part was the waiting.  It only took 30 minutes to make the brine and stick the meat in it, and then the cooking of the boiled dinner is no different.  I recommend it to everyone who loves that meal - it's so easy but so much better than store bought.  I bought a 5 lb brisket, and if you go by his recipe that calls for a 4 - 5 lb brisket and then to cook a 2 - 2 1/2 lb corned beef, I assume it was about 2 1/2 lbs when I cooked it.  (I ignorantly wondered why he called for two different weights in the recipe - duh.)

Have a great day, everyone,
    ~kar

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Oh, I didn't realize it shrunk during the brining?  Hmmm.  Well, if I had a family still at  home, I might try it, the recipe did look straight forward enough.  Wht's the flavor of the - have to wait til I post so I can flip back a page and see what they were called - juniper berries?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I didn't realize either - I thought it was very odd that he called for a 4 - 5 lb brisket to brine and then the corned beef recipe called for one half that size.  LOL!  

Alspice, juniper berries, and cloves are the flavors I remember most.  Here's the recipe:  Alton Brown's corned beef brine and boiled dinner recipe (2 recipes in 1).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Good morning all.  Busy day on the boards yesterday!  Kar- congrats on your lovely meal.

Went to services for my uncle yesterday.  They were a nice celebration of his life, so many people came.

Spent some time w/my Bro & SIL.  Talk about helicopter parents!  OMG.  I love them to death, but I really don't know how these kids are ever going to be able to function as independent adults.  I won't go into details, but it is really quite shocking!

Going to take mom shopping today, then not sure what's up for later.  Have a great day everyone!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone.  Amber, glad you liked the Wowie cake.  Kar, your dinner looks lovely.  Glad it turned out the way you wanted it.  tt, you've been very busy, but when are you baking?  :) PC, sorry about your Brother and SIL.  How many children do they have?  As for me, I'm stating my mom's taxes for her.  Let's hope they turn out well for her.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Hello ladies, Having a cuppa with wowie cake : ) It is good cold too but going to keep it out for tonight. I cut it in big squares. No problem getting them out of the pan. Will freeze a couple for DD. Gotta get going on the housework and laundry. Have a great day everyone!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Wow, I can now post from my iPhone! Taxes winter, huh, yuck. They have 2 kids who are great, but some of the stories I have are just crazy!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Winter.

The only Easter baking I have left to do are the gingerbread bunnies.  I don't like to make them too far ahead of time, you can freeze them, but to me they taste their best within a couple of days of making, so Friday I'll bake them and Sat frost on their whiskers.  The applesauce muffins, wowie cupcakes, some peach upside down cake, and G.T.'s chocolate frosted egg, are all in the freezer.  The only other dessert I'll make on Sat will be the Spanish Cream.

Have been scouring food sites checking out roasted chicken recipes.  Mine's a big one, almost 8 pounds.  I see the baking temp used now is 450.  Wow.  My mother always baked hers at 350.  I'll probably go with Ina's with lemon, and just figure a longer roasting time since almost all recipes call for one of the smaller (3-5lb.) ones.

Had been looking for an Easter tablecloth that wasn't terribly expensive since I usually go with placemats, but decided to use my old standby one, a green and white check.  Besides, I have this horrible feeling that at the last minute, all who will show up are just my son and DIL, no grandkids.  Probably because of cancellations of yesterday and tomorrow, I'm leaning towards disappointment.

Good luck with your mother's taxes.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In Response to Re: March chat:
    [QUOTE]Hello ladies, Having a cuppa with wowie cake : ) It is good cold too but going to keep it out for tonight. I cut it in big squares. No problem getting them out of the pan. Will freeze a couple for DD. Gotta get going on the housework and laundry. Have a great day everyone!
    Posted by ambergirl[/QUOTE]

Amber, you don't have to refrigerate the cake.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning ladies,
    I won! I bought 5 quick pick and had 3 numbers on one of them. I won't be able to buy a condo at Gramercy Park, but can at least say, I won. Don't even know how little is is. Maybe a free ticket.
    Kar, your corn beef looks fabulous. Glad all your hard work paid off. Had no idea, that a beef brisket shrinks when brined. IMO it should weigh more, with all the brining liquid incorporated in the meat. Did you by any chance weigh it after you took it out of the brine?
    tt, you got me in the mood for cleaning out my "top shelves". Lots of goodies must be hiding there, I am sure. Good weekend to do that. DH has his tennis match today and tmw. a function to attend in the day time. That takes care of  Sunday as well. Will have him help me haul the upper stuff down, before he leaves. I also have a cedar closet downstairs, full of clothes, we never wear. Suits the boys have outgrown and stuff, that is outdated but in excellent condition. I know the Veterans will be happy for it. I also have lots of old towels. Some I use for rags, but I like your idea, tt - to give them to an animal shelter or pet store.
    Sorry Amber, you couldn't sleep last night. Must have been the disappointment of not to be able to move in to Gramercy Park. Glad your cake was a winner. Could it be late chocolate snacking keeping you up? That's another thing on my agenda today. Wowie cupcakes.
    Glad we didn't get snow here. What about you, Kar? They called for 3 inches in the Worcester area.
    Will be around all weekend. Chat later - Pingo

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Funny Pingo : ) Glad someone won. NYC is just a dream for me now. I made the cake late when I knew I wasn't going to sleep. I like my cake cold tt but realized my friend may not so it is on the counter. Having a second coffee to get motivated to clean.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Me too - to clean out another closet, that is.