March chat

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: March chat

Pingo, we won $2.00 :)  and we bought 10 tickets.  tt, y our goodies in your freezer sound great.  I'll take those curtain rods down as payment for the tasty treats. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In Response to Re: March chat:
    [QUOTE]Pingo, we won $2.00 :)  and we bought 10 tickets.  tt, y our goodies in your freezer sound great.  I'll take those curtain rods down as payment for the tasty treats. 
    Posted by Winter2011Bride[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I'm not in the mood for curtain washing now.  In fact, see Bravo has the reruns of Milliionaire listings in NY, and may settle down and rewatch that a bit.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, everyone!  The salt and sugar draws moisture out of the meat; it makes sense, but I didn't think about it before I pulled it out far smaller than when it went in.  I didn't weigh it before cooking, but Alton Brown's recipe implies that a 5 lb brisket will become a 2 1/2 lb corned beef.  So, I'd count on losing 1/2 its weight in the 10 day brine.

Winter, I hope your mom's taxes are straightforward and not much of a task.  When I was single and all I had was one W-2, it took me about 10 minutes to do my taxes, and I had my refunds in 3 - 10 days.

Ambergirl, I wouldn't refridgerate the cake; it can dry it out, and there's no need, as tt said.

I want cake, now...

Hey, funny story from this morning.  DH was digging in the cabinet where he keeps all his equipment manuals, and he ran across a GIA report and reciepts that he handed to me to put away, asking what they were for.  After a few minutes of confusion, I figured out it was regarding his ex-fiance's engagement ring, lol.

I doubt we'll get 3 inches.  The snow is coming down as it has been all morning, but it's not sticking, thankfully.  DH is in the garage working on whatever piece of equipment he needed a manual for.  I need to get on the stick and shower and get the kitchen put together after having made pancakes for breakfast.  We've got far more boiled dinner veggies than meat.  I really wish I'd brined two briskets...

ETA:  Winter, we bought 11 tickets and also will recoup $2. :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Anmber - it's the Grammercy Park episode -

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Obbieite. Show Obbieite's posts

After hearing so much about the "wowie" cake I have to check out the recipe and make it.  It sounds fabulous!  I bought 15 ($2) tickets and only won $2 also.  So I'm in the hole for $28.  The furniture store took my chair and ottoman out of here on Tuesday b/c someone from Englander/Lazyboy was going to be in town and would look at it.  They promised to have it back yeserday.  I now have a call into them looking for it.  I'm also cleaning out stuff that I've put away in a "safe place" and am going to have a yard sale in a couple of weeks.  The places that I consider "safe" are  so safe that I can never find them again.  I'm having fun finding things that I really thought I would use and absolutely needed..yeah, right.  Now they are going to a yard sale or be donated.  Back to my Spring cleaning. Obbieite

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

LOL, love your "safe place" admission, Obbie - I guess you could say the same thing of DH given he just unknowingly gave his wife his ex-fiance's diamond report he found in the "safe place" he tucked it 10 years ago.  My grandmother, too - she would find Christmas presents she had tucked away literally years later sometimes.  I hope you get a satisfactory result with little time and effort with the Lazy Boy furniture debacle.  They owe it to you to get it right for all that $$$.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Obbie,

Just sat down after putting my last tray of peanut butter cookies in the oven.  I have 10 minutes to type!  Feel like a traitor - have always used my mother's recipe, but the last couple of times they seemed too sugary to me, so followed the Jiff Peanut Butter one.  Not as strong a peanut butter flavor even tho p.b. amount is the same - I think it's because they use all brown sugar and my mom's called for half white/half brown.  Oh, well, they're certainly edible as evidenced by my three taste tests!

I know what you mean about those treasures.  I was hanging onto these because I kept telling myself that I would have "one more yard sale", which I know I won't.  It's not worth the effort put into it for the small returns - at least on the things I have.  Now that these are safety tucked into a box marked "G.T." I can let them go.  I stop and think of the real treasures he cleans out and donates.

The reviews of the Wowie Cake speak for themselves, I think, no need for me to sing it's praises further.

Kargiver, that's too funny about your DH's old girlfriends diamond evaluation - do you think he really didn't know what it was?  Hope you saw that you got a better deal!

Have left Bravo on while I bake and putz around, reruns, but I like reruns of certain shows.  Jeff Lewis is on now, last year's episodes whose theme was much better than this.

Oops, the bell rings -

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I hope that's company for you, TT.  DH is washing and painting walls today, and I am cleaning the kitchen.  We just had a little cereal lunch, and he is out to do a few little errands.

I bought a lot of mincemeat this Xmas and did not get a chance to make the pies or our family's mincemeat cookies. So I found a recipe for muffins that turned out to be the best muffins I ever ate (except for my Mom's blueberry ones.)  Anyone interested in the recipe?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Yes, I am.  I have half a pkg. of the condensed mincement in the fridge, picked it up and looked at it, almost tossing it last week, and then, put it back, - I think - wait til I go look - yes it's still there.  In fact, it's about 3/4 full.  On  the side of the pkg. is a recipe for "Prize Cookies" - I've made that several times and that's good too.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm sure he didn't - he said, "Oh, no, she asked for those papers and I had no idea where they were." (I guess she kept the ring!)  That cabinet is stuffed with 2 big piles of manuals and totally random "important" stuff.  And, blush, yes, I am happy with the comparison, although, hers was quite nice.  I truly got the better deal, anyway, in just him!

Your mother might have liked the less sweet cookies better, too - I'm sure she'd approve.   I, too, like the peanut butter flavor to not be overpowered by sweetness.  Yum!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Mincemeat Bran Muffins

These tasty bran muffins are a quick and easy way to enjoy the rich taste

of mincemeat. A great addition to holiday breakfast or brunch.

This recipe would also make good mini muffins, for a bite-size treat.

Ingredients:

2 1/4 cups flour
    1 1/4 cups bran
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 eggs, beaten
    3/4 cup melted butter
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    2 cups milk
    1 1/2 cups mincemeat

vanilla to taste....

Directions:

In a large bowl, combine flour, bran, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

In another bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Pour over dry ingredients and stir just until moistened.

Spoon batter into greased or paper lined muffin tins. Bake at 375 degrees F.

for 18 to 20 minutes. Makes about 2 dozen muffins. (Mine were finished at

15 minutes, maybe cook at 350? 

The muffin cups were greasy, but when cooled they

dried and the muffins came out of the paper well.  Also, next time I would

add a little vanilla.)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

A bit of the right hand side is cut off (by BDC margins).  What temp did you bake them at, and for how long?  15" at 350 ?  I would halve the recipe since a doz muffins at a time are plenty for this small household.  Some recipes don't do well reducing, do you think this one could be successfully halved?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I tried to fix the cutting off - I had to edit it six times.  Anyhow, I baked them at 375 making a note to try 350 next time.  If I hadn't torn the kitchen apart I would make a batch to answer that.

I think you could cut it in half - or you could freeze the extras!

In Response to Re: March chat:
    [QUOTE]A bit of the right hand side is cut off (by BDC margins).  What temp did you bake them at, and for how long?  15" at 350 ?  I would halve the recipe since a doz muffins at a time are plenty for this small household.  Some recipes don't do well reducing, do you think this one could be successfully halved?
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Have you peeked in my freezer lately?  LOL  I barely squee-ee-eez-ed two pkgs of the peanut butter cookies I baked today in!  Thanks for the clarification of baking time.  (Just woke up from a little nap after my afternoon peanut butter cookie snack!)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Lovely day with Mom today.  Went to Moonstones in Chelmsford for lunch, it was very good, if anyone is in that area I recommend it.

Lots of cooking and baking going on, huh.  Just found out our ice maker is leaking - argh.  Trying to determine whether to fix it or just buy a new fridge.  Oh well.

Pretty chilly, but no sign of snow!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

Hi All--Been running around, and not on the board. Had things to do the last 3 nights-very unusual for me to be out at night ! Seems like everyone is well, and baking/cooking away.
    Winter and Amber- I am still on book 2--not making much headway. Are you still enjoying the books? 
    TT-I think you can hold more in that freezer--get busy ! Glad your cousin seems to have had no lingering effects of her fall. Scary. Just hung up from a friend, and she is  in a lot of pain-found out she has 3 herniated discs. She will be getting a shot next week-has a 3 week FL trip planned, so she is worried .No golf, aerobics, yoga for 6 mos anyway.(that wouldn't bother ME!) But she loves it, so I feel bad for her. She and her husband are good friends to us.
    Kar-funny about the ring paperwork--yes, you did get the best of the deal!
    Did some food shopping today--got a 20 lb turkey for tomorrow. Making a big dinner, just like Thanksgiving. We love Turkey,, and have only had 3 in the last two years. I like to get one in before the warm weather comes. Then the leftovers, and the soup. DD, DS1 will be here-not sure who else. I will invite my mom, of course.  DH is very confused this week-driving me a little crazy. UGH.
    Prin-too bad about your ice maker-hope it can be fixed ! I have often thought my icemaker is my favorite thing. I never had one before , and never want to go back to making ice cubes. I use a lot of ice. I drink lots of ice water, and lots of ice in my white wine. DD says "why dont you have a little wine with that ice??"
    Think I will have some ice right now. Now the big question,,,water or wine?? UM__wine.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Busy day today. To have DH help me to take down the stuff from the high shelves was a bad idea indeed. He can't throw anything away. We almost got into an argument. So I gave up, and did my own closet instead.
    Made a very nice pizza for lunch. Instead of the usual tomato/pizza sauce, I spread the crust with ricotta cheese and placed the additions (slivers of garlic,  thinly sliced tomatoes, slices of chicken kielbasa and half a Jalapeno cut in thin rings) on top of that. Then sprinkled with Mozzarella cheese. It was delicious.
    Had a late lunch. Now pondering what to make for supper. Have lamb stew for one person and plenty of soup in the fridge. Will have to make do.  - Pingo

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hats, your muffins look interesting. I have never used mince meat. I don't even know, what it is. Have seen it in the jars, but never picked one up. Like tt, I would cut the recipe in half. I would not mind to freeze them, but DH would at some point say, "Not those again?" - LOL
    One question though. Why would you want to cut down on the temperature?
    - Pingo

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

What is mincemeat anyway? I have heard of it, but never had it.
    I  have heard of mince meat pie.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The old fashioned "minced meat" was traditionally made of meat, specifically shredded venison, jarred/preserved as a sweet/sour pie filling.  Very aquired taste.  
    Today, however, unless you're in Presque Isle, Maine, people are probably referring to mock minced meat which is made with the same spices, but instead of venison has chopped fruit.  (Oh, it's not really referred to as "mock" - you have to just assume they mean the fruit version unless otherwise noted.)

ETA:  tt, do you know how dangerous it is to show me your freezer too soon before I go to bed?  My dreams...I could raid your kitchen in my sleep!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Yes, today's mincemeat is made of chopped apples and raisins with spices.  Sort of like a chutney, if you are a fan.  It's what you would use to make a mince pie.  Instead, you make the muffins with it.  It's also delicious warmed up as a topping for ice cream!  I will eat it right from the jar!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Hello ladies : ) Insomnia continues but glad it is on the weekend. And no pingo, no chocolate to blame. Lol! Go through this every few months. But it is ok, watching Bridesmaids on HBO. Been wanting to see it forever. My friend left a little while ago. Great time and love her dearly. For all she has been through, and it's a lot, she has an amazing attitude. My house is spotless but somehow I ended up with 2 loads of laundry tomorrow. Well since this is like talking to myself, I will sign off. Although talking to myself is usually the best conversation I have. Nobody talks back and I am always right : ) tt, hope you enjoy my boring conversation tomorrow morning : )

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Hats, noticed you were up late too. Still there? I feel like a little kid in an empty candy store for some weird reason. Kinda liking it : )

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

I'm enjoying it now amber!  Sleep eludes me tonight, too.  Not sure why.  I worked all day.  Wanted to finish first quarter reports and get a jump start on next week.  I'm still spending a good part of the day with our new employees and am behind with my regular work.  Noticed a lot of tourists in town.  Seems like they always start showing up around April 1.  Anyway, I stopped at a restaurant within walking distance of my house and had seared diver scallops and a glass of white wine.  No chocolate tonight and my last cup of coffee was at 2:00PM.  Oh well, I have a lot of shows recorded on my dvr and just put a load of wash in.

I love mince pie.  My grandmother used to make a mince filled cookie.  Growing up, we never had a Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner without a mince pie on the table.  I don't make them anymore because my father and I are the only two who will eat it, and that means I eat the leftovers for two days. I've never had the savory version, only the sweet.

Hope I can get to sleep at some point.  We're having breakfast with DD and family in the morning because they will not be here for Easter.  I have baskets for the girls and my father will have cards for them.  Afterwards, I want to swing by Mahoney's.  I'd like an Easter lily.  It's not Easter for me without the scent in the house. As soon as the daffodils in my containers go by, I'm going to remove the bulbs and plant some allium - the most beautiful shade of blue.  I bought 40 bulbs last fall and never planted them. I think they'll come up quickly.      

My last refrigerator dispensed water and made ice-cubes.  Twice it started leaking and it was a pain in the neck. My son finally turned off the water supply to it. Can't beat the convenience but what a nuisance.

Well, the washer just finished its last cycle which means I've been sitting here too long.  Have a great Sunday everybody!

mothermitzi

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

mm! Made my night even if you are not back on : ) my mom loved mince pie but don't remember ever having it. I normally have DD and BF over for Sunday dinner but they have a wedding. Actually glad as I only have to deal with laundry and relaxing. Must say this is making me happy : ) Bridesmaids is a riot so far!

Sections
Shortcuts