March chat

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: March chat

Have a good weekend Amber and enjoy your early hour. Be careful with your hill going home. The temp is falling and there are a few slippery places already.
     - Pingo

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I remember the Brigham's in Harvard Square and Out of Town News of about 30 something years ago...

ETA:  It is still there but it's a different owner now. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

Oh, Pingo--nice memory of Dini's !  I believe all the old politicians hung out there, too. Big neon sign.
    Filene's Basement was THE BEST ! The ones in the suburbs were never as good they only had the same name-not even the "Markdown policy" .
    JM muffins--yes, so good-  DSGF gave me some not too long ago that were supposedly from the original recipe-I forget where she got them.
    And __OMG__Cant believe I remember this-it just came back to me--was it Gilchrist's macaroons?

Cant wait to get out of here--Neighbor /friend already sent me mail re having some wine tonight--can't wait !  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi pingo -

The kiosk is still there - Out of Town News.

Did you get your elevator fixed?  Drive carefully.  Looks slippery out. Have a nice weekend.

mothermitzi

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Oh my goodness... Gilchrist macaroons.  My mom worked at the one in Porter Square and I remember she would bring those home to us sometimes. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

1990 was my intro to Boston when I was a freshman in college...feels like a lifetime ago.

Just realized I didn't eat today.  Fasted quite by accident; just not feeling hungry.  Had my regular coffee and a glass of cranberry/pineapple juice just now.  Still not hungry in the slightest despite having taken an hour and a half walk.  We stayed on the road, though, so I didn't have to trudge through thigh/butt killing snow this time or risk falling, again, on the ice underneath.  But, putting on a lentil soup for DH.  Maybe I'll have a, you guessed it, pork chop with my soup.  They go much faster when DH is eating meat!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Kar, I responded to your technology question. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

Kar--wish I could forget to eat.
    Haven't though of pineapple juice in a long time-I used to love it when I was little. With cranberry , too, sounds good.
    I bet it would be even better with some vodka and ice in it  in the summertime !
    You are too funny with the pork chops!

Ok-- getting ready to leave here--looking fwd to whatever take out DH wants-he just told me he does not want any leftovers-- and wine with my neighbor !
    Hopefully I can log in from home this weekend--it is so sporadic when it works or not.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hudson News owns it now, and it has certainly changed character. It is still a news stand, but the old "shack" is there no more. There was a controversy a while ago b/c Hudson did not want to renew it's lease. But some Cambridge organization saved it from the ax. - Pingo

In Response to Re: March chat:
    [QUOTE]I remember the Brigham's in Harvard Square and Out of Town News of about 30 something years ago... ETA:  It is still there but it's a different owner now. 
    Posted by Winter2011Bride[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good rainy Saturday morning,

Never did get to brush the snow off my car, and now the rain has taken care of it for me.

Dragging out my vacuum this morning and see if I can give the l.r. furniture a good going over.  It's a Dirt Devil and too heavy/hard for me to manipulate without back pain, but every once in a while the broom and dustmop just aren't enough.  Going to look into one of the older fashioned tank models that you just pull along the floor.  Don't want to pay an arm and a leg, but did get a little money back from taxes so will use that for what I can get.

I think today is a good baking day too.  Maybe make up a batch of those applesauce muffins and freeze.  Have the makings for another cherry pie, but will wait until after my dr.'s appt. that's in a couple of weeks.  Want to get started on the baby's first St. Paddy's Day poem too.  His mom loves the cards I have been making for him and has called them all "keepers".  Remember the basketball congrats card I made my GS?  I was tickled to hear from his Dad that he has it set up on his bureau, so I know he's enjoying it.  Boys aren't much into gushing thanks over anything!

Hope everyone has a day they can hunker down inside, at least until the rain lets up.  I'm thinking a pot of beef stew would taste good on a day like this, and I did spy a pkg in the freezer.  Add that to my list to "to do's".  I'll check in later in the day and see if anyone's on the boards.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I am going to hunker down to work on our parade entry...and I am planning a "shower" for my new grandson...I use the quotes because its Jack and Jill and I am not supposed to call it a shower...I don't care...just want everyone to have a good time and Zachary to get things he will need

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

How is your "DIL" feeling?  I thought of her the other day and then that thought got lost when I was posting.  When is she due?  Baby showers are so much fun, it's such a happy time.  Has she registered anywhere and done a "wish list"?  That's really so helpful to people and you don't get a whole lot of duplicates that way.  My GD at hers last August, got everything she needed, plus some adorable little baby shoes/outfits.  I can't remember what was in the big pkg itself, but one of her girlfriends doubled sided taped a couple of pair of baby shoes on the top of the pkg - make such a cute wrap up.  I remember one of the pairs was a little pair of workboots!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Workboots...That had to be cute!...Its funny...my son and she aren't married..but in certain circles(Her work) we do refer to each other as "in-law" ...I have never been one for formalities...Actually, I think they would have married except for her college debt. She went to NorthEastern, a very expensive college...My son went to a Technical school, not cheap but not as expensive. He finished and got a job...She changed her major a bunch of times then dropped out w/o any degree...this leaves her with a 85 thousand dollar debt and no degree. I am not sure that being indecisive should warrent such a debt

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'm not much for formalities either, Icer.  The only reason my GD married when she did was because altho she and her now husband had lived together for years, and intended to continue to live together, once she became pregnant it became obvious to her that people were judging not her, but the baby.  She said if it took a ring on her finger to assure that no shadows would be cast upon him, fine, they'd marry.

College, I know, such an expense and no guarantee.  Maybe she was just too young to decide what direction she wanted to settle into.  That's tough on them tho, with that kind of debt hanging over their heads.  Maybe at the time she thought she would go back and finish up at some point.  It's very seldom that they do tho.  But, you have happy thoughts ahead now with that precious pumpkin on the way.  A baby's wide eyed wonder and little grins and attempts at talking, just make your heart want to burst.  You'll be a wonderful grandma.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Good morning everyone.  A parade entry icer.  Boy you must be so talented.  Could it be for the St. Patty's Parade?  I know, no details.  Smile

Funny all of this talk about Boston.  I have always lived no more than 1/2 hr from Boston . . but have to admit that I just don't like the city.  I am such a "suburbanite."  All of your memories are so interesting though.  The only time I go to the city is when I have to go to the airport, lol.

Going to S&S to pick up things for Mom and will then head up there to see her.  I'm sure we'll go to lunch then go back to her place and play some cards. 

Have a nice day everyone!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning everyone,
    Boy do I feel blah this morning. Maybe it is the rain. Maybe it is that our dinner company tonight cancelled last night. She wasn't feeling well - coming down w/ something. They are devout catholics, so I was planning on making salmon. Had bought a nice piece at Costco. After the call I cut it up and packaged it in individual packages and froze it. I had the ingredients to make a Trifle, but was not going to make it until this morning. So all is well, I didn't waste anything and I don't have a dessert DH and I have to eat for the next week. Funny though. I am known for always prepare everything ahead of time, but yesterday I didn't.
    DH left before I got up this morning, and I don't feel like going out in that rain - even though I should go to Michael's to sign up for my 20% birthday coupon. Princess have a nice lunch and visit with your mother. "Heading up" to see her. Is you mom far from you? You mentioned, you were looking for another place for her. How is that going? Is your mom into puzzles? Maybe that would be something for her to spent her time with. I am still looking for that BB&B coupon, but it was not in yesterday's mail either. Maybe today.
    Icer, I am sure you will have a wonderful "shower" for Zachary. He will get the most beautiful cake. Of that I am sure. Are you keeping it at your home? Too bad the young couple has to start out w/ such a huge debt. But education is expensive. And even more so, if you have nothing to show for it. Maybe your DIL will go back someday and finish up.
    tt, I have a central vac and I can't use it either. The hose is just too heavy for me to drag around. I am blessed that DH do the vacuuming. My PB son had a small upright, which I loved. It was so light and did a great job. He had promised it to me, when he moved to England - but in the heat of packing and moving, he forgot it. He has to go back in June, when his friend leaves and he has to get rid of his furniture. But unless he takes his car, there is no way I will get it.
    I better get going. Will check in later - Pingo

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Winter, thanks - I am so happy to read your input in Tech.  I answered more up there.

tt, what a day you have planned.  May I suggest the vac we have, it's a 9 lb backpack which, ironically, is awesome on my back.  You can adjust the straps so there is no pulling or discomfort at all, you just float around with just the wand to worry about.  Very long cord, too.  It's commercial, actually, made for hours and hours of vacuuming without feeling heavy.  Royal Backpack Canister

icer, 85 grand in debt with no degree?  I'd be soooo stressed!  How is she...well, never mind, it is what it is!  I hope your "DIL" is doing well with the pregnancy; I hadn't thought of it for awhile; thanks to tt for asking.

Prin, you and DH are the same that way; he sees no allure to the city.  That's why I go into to kaloop with his sister and he stays home and putts around with Gracie quite happily.  He thinks we are NUTS, lol.

She's finally given up going out with him as he takes care of the snow/sleet mess we got last night.  He's afraid of a having a terrible accident so she's not allowed out when he's plowing, of course, but she doesn't understand and howls for quite awhile.

Have a great day cleaning, cooking, visiting, and hopefully relaxing!

Stay warm, friends,
    ~kar

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, too bad about the cancelled plans, but if you are feeling blah and she is ill it's for the best, right?  The rainy mess out there is totally depressing...  At least you didn't prepare anything special and can save everything for another time.  (It's "devout," by the way.)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks friend!

In Response to Re: March chat:
    [QUOTE]Pingo, too bad about the cancelled plans, but if you are feeling blah and she is ill it's for the best, right?  The rainy mess out there is totally depressing...  At least you didn't prepare anything special and can save everything for another time.  (It's "devout," by the way.)
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My pleasure. :)

It's still raining...I'm not feeling too peppy, either.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I should clarify...DIL started out with 85 thousand in debt with no degree...but she is skilled in teaching sign language...so she volunteers her time to help special needs students..this is how she is working off her debt...but if they get married...the powers at be will want them to pay the $ because my son makes good $. she just has a year or two left to complete her obligation(been at it since 2007)....so they will wait...and as far as the public taking it out on my Grandson...well all I can say is...Just try it!(^<>^)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Keep the vacuum in this room and just came in to drag it out - thinking better of it, found a turbo tool to use on furniture (obviously not used much!) and am thinking I will beg, borrow and steal G.T. some Sat to come down and give my l.r. furniture a good going over for me.

Stew plans fell by the wayside too, saw a couple of containers of lasagna still in there and want to use that up, so have taken out one of them for supper.  Muffins, still may get made - I have the whole afternoon.

Doesn't seem to be raining here now, more of a drizzle.  Still a good day to stay in.  Caught the end of a funny movie, "Last Supper", and am hoping there'll be a good one or two on this afternoon to watch.  You can see my ambition has gone the way it often does - - pfft!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Kargiver, thanks for the vacuum info.  I never could carry around even a 9 lb vacuum on my back - that would really be a picture for a LOLs!  Haven't shopped in Sears for years, but they used to have a good selection.  I want to be able to actually try it out too and be sure I can maneuver it and use the gadgets easily.  At some point will take a ride over there and see what they have.  Thanks for the thoughts tho.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Did you see the backpack vac I recommended?  It feels light as a feather (and is only actually 9 lbs) if you have it adjusted properly - you can just walk around the whole house and only deal with the wand.  The cord is long enough that I can do the whole downstairs without unplugging.  Just in case it got lost in the morning shuffle, here it is at Sears:   Royal Canister Backpack  But, I'm sure G.T. will take care of you, either way!

I'm making up for my lack of food yesterday.  Had a lovely mid morning Mexican snack of a tortilla wrap put in the toaster oven with 3 cheese blend and salsa with a second cup of coffee.  YUM!  

I should start freezing things to pull out whenever.  There are so many times I don't feel like cooking dinner that that would really be a nice perk.

ETA:  Whoops, we were posting at the same time!  Sorry it wouldn't work for you, tt.  If you're heading to Sears, anyway, maybe you could just give it a little whirl before you rule it out.  It's got a wide waist band and padded shoulder straps that make it feel like it's not even there.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I didn't mean to be pushy about the vac - I wouldn't have said any more about it if I'd seen your response before I posted about it again, sorry!

It's kind of foggy here, I think, or is that all drizzle?  Gracie is twitching away sound asleep; I think she chases things in her dreams, lol.  It's that kind of day.