March Sunday Mornings - 2009

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Grey skies, but no snow or rain here as yet. Expected to hear a little precipitation hitting the windows during the night, or at least see a light ground cover when I got up this morning. I'll take this short respite.

Along with filling the feeder and birdbath yesterday, I threw out some leftover fruit cocktail, thinking the robin or cardinals might like it. Most of it was gone when I got up this morning, and a squirrel was munching on some, so I'm not sure whether a night visitor got it, or a very early morning squirrel. Doesn't matter. They all have to stock up before we get the amount of snow that's predicted.

My taboule came out good, and seemed to go well with the shrimp. I have an awfully big bowlful left. Think I'll take a boneless skinless chicken breast out, they're real fat ones, pound it down and coat and fry or bake that to go with some today.

Tore a picture and recipe out of a magazine I got yesterday, that has my mouth watering - a tropical pizza, it's called. Spread pineapple mango chipotle salsa on a pizza crust, sprinkle swiss, and monterey jack shredded cheeses over it, and then add thinly sliced red and green peppers and a thinly sliced onion. The picture looks so good. I may just run up to the Stop and Shop - they close for renovations tonight at 6:00 - for one last shopping to pick up the ingredients to make it tomorrow. Much as I complain about S&S prices, etc., I realize I will miss being able pop up there when I need just a few things.

What's on everyone's agenda for today? My afternoon may include some cards if the snow holds off. Neighbor and I hadn't played for a couple of months until one day this week, and now we're bitten by the bug again! -- Who will win the most games? --

tt

Addendum: Just got a call from neighbor saying she'd be up this afternoon, snow or not, and hubby will make supper for all of us. I'm a little suspicious - says she'll bring her own decks of cards!! (tongue in cheek).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

my agenda for today??

Well it started with Blueberry pancakes.

Then in about an hour, church. I have to sing at both services, but the choir can leave before the sermon on the 2d service.

Then out to dinner (see my other threaad)

Afternoon i will probably be doing genealogy on the computer, until choir practice. Doesn't sound too exciting does it, but it works for me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Since I frequently see chat about crock pot cooking, I thought I would tell you about what my wife found.

http://www.50plusfriends.com/cookbook/crockpot/index-5b.html

She copied a whole bunch out and made herself a nice cookbook. (I indexed it for her) She has done several of them and we love the results.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"Doesn't sound too exciting does it, but it works for me."

I find for me, retirement isn't about excitement, Ken, it's about contentment.

I don't have to go out in bad weather if I don't want to;

I can wile away the hours doing whatever I choose that particular day;

I can bake cookies, and be silly with the grandkids, let them put a string of tattoos up my arm (which take quite a few weeks to wash all the way off btw!); play house and ask them for a coloring book and crayons for my birthday;

I can put on whatever mix of colors I feel like each morning - yesterday it was green, red, and blue; and best of all -

I can reminisce about "the good old days", because I'm lucky enough to still have friends of the same generation around, who are also there to listen to my laments about my aches, pains, and "poor me" when I have those days, and then I'm there to listen to them - as well as - rejoice in each other's glad happenings.

All in all, not bad.

tt

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

TT
    Actually I am thoroughly enjoying my retirement. Now i have all the time in the world to do the things I didn't have time to do while working. i love sitting at my computer doing whatever.
    Yesterday I went for another hike on South Mt. It was supposed to be only 4 miles, but somehow I got off on another trail and to get back I had to go some extra and ended up doing 5.25 ( I used a GPS). But it was still fun.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from circles82. Show circles82's posts

[Quote]Since I frequently see chat about crock pot cooking, I thought I would tell you about what my wife found.

http://www.50plusfriends.com/cookbook/crockpot/index-5b.html

She copied a whole bunch out and made herself a nice cookbook. (I indexed it for her) She has done several of them and we love the results.[/Quote]

Thank you so much, Ken! I use my crock pot all the time. It has a permanent place on my counter. This will come in handy.

I was cutting it close on time for the pot roast yesterday, so I postponed until today. I am glad I did. Thank you for all the advice.
    Will let you all know the outcome of the interview as soon as I find out.

Retirement sounds like perfection :)
    We are off to church in about an hour. We are on ushering duty today.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"Yesterday I went for another hike on South Mt"

I have to ask: don't you have SNAKES in them there mountains?

tt

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt and Ken, I envy you both. Have to go to my office today to get a few things squared away, before our new book keeper starts tomorrow. Don't want any 'old' things waiting for her.
    Even though, we are thinking of calling our employees to tell them not to come to work tomorrow due to the storm. We will wait until tonight to see, how everything develops. There has been times, when the meteorologists have been wrong - even though, I feel they may be right about this storm.

Thanks Ken for the crockpot link. Awesome! Are there any of the recipes you have tried, you think there are especially good - or are there any, we shouldn't waste our time on?
    This morning I started a chuck roast since I new I had to be away most of the afternoon. I use my pot all the time, it has been such 'life saver'.
    Well, you all have a nice Sunday. Ken you watch out for 'them snakes' and the rest of us for the coming snowstorm. - Pingo

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Bump!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hi friends,
    I saw this in the Boston Globe Magazine,s food section today. Thought it was interesting. Our firends in AZ may not read the Globe.

Kitchen Aide

The Father of Frozen Foods

During a stint in the Arctic, Clarence Birdseye (1886-1956) observed natives freezing food very quickly in the extreme cold. Later, he set up shop in Gloucester and experimented with an electric fan, ice, and brine to develop and refine a process for high-pressure, rapid freezing of food in small, consumer-ready packages. In March 1930, in an 18-store Springfield test market, he introduced his packaged, quick-frozen foods, under the name Birds Eye. Not long after, the enterprise went national. Fittingly, March is National Frozen Food Month. -- A.R.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Crockpot fans! I recently found this blog which seems to have a lot of great recipes

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

The author tried to use her crockpot every day during 2008, became famous, got on TV, and so is continuing with her blog.

I have her turkey breast recipe in the crockpot right now, plan on some black bean soup later on, and will let you know how it all turns out.

Here's the link to the turkey...

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/11/crockpot-turkey-breast-recipe.html

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi Everybody -

Thanks to Ken and Ihavemyhats for the crock pot recipe links. I have my pot roast all ready to go tomorrow. Dusted off the crock pot tonight. My boss called me earlier and left a message saying stay home tomorrow. I called back and happily accepted. Poor dear, he will have to go in with one or two others. Luckily, I am networked with the office and can stay put.

Spent a nice day in Portland. Went up early this morning and met my friend. We went to brunch and had a nice time catching up and reminiscing. On the way to brunch, I spied a Scandinavian shop across from the restaurant. We popped in afterwards and I picked up all kinds of goodies, the best being a fresh loaf of Swedish limpa. It was snowing heavily by the time I got on the train to come back.I thought for sure it would be snowing in Boston but it wasn't. Guess we're in for it tonight though. There is still a great deal of snow in Maine on the lawns and sidewalks.

mothermitzi

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

The crockpot turkey was pretty good. The smallest I could find was a 6 pounder, and I cooked it 5 hrs 15 mins, which might have been a little too much. I used a whole onion, could have used less, but I added more broth so there's lots of broth left to freeze. I think it will make a nice soup. The turkey was moist. I am trying to eat more protein for my diet, so lots of turkey rollup sandwiches for us this week.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hello everyone,

Just ended our card marathon. Had a delicious supper of roast beef, potatoes, squash and spinach that her husband brought up to us. I made dessert, put some butterscotch ice cream topping in with the bread pudding and ended with a delicious butterscotch pudding.

Glad to see the heavy snow hasn't started as yet. We just have a dusting here. Tomorrow I'll just be a lady of leisure - munch bonbons and read! Sounds as tho you had a nice time in Portland with your friend, mothermitzi. Good you got back before the 2nd storm started.

Did Ken answer me about the snakes? I don't think so, but I do think there are snakes in that state. I'd be terrified to go up in the mountains.

Well, time for me to get into relaxing clothes and have another dish of that delicious bread pudding - it will help me sleep, you know! (Ha Ha).

Talk tomorrow.

tt

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

tt
    I said something about the snakes on one of the threads, but i can repeat it. Yes, they say there are snakes, there, but if you stay on the trails as one is supposed and as I do, I have never seen one.

i think it was MM or maybe Pingo who wanted to know which of the crock pot receipes we have tried and like. The Mrs. has gone to bed, but i shall try to remember to ask her and reply. We have tried several, I man alot.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning, Kay
    What part of Florida are you living in? My sister lived in Orange Park for years until she moved back up to MA for good. She went back and forth quite a few times, but since her grown children were all in N.E. or other northern states, she finally left the warm temps and resettled back here. Is any of your family still in Florida?

Did you ever contribute in the early paper days of the Chat? If so, what nom did you use? Quite a few of us are long time contributors, some of us keeping our original noms and others taking on new ones. I've always been Toy Trumpet, and really enjoyed the give and take we had then when we all were raising young families and looking for ways to curb expenses, or encouragement in raising the kids.

Can't help you with the spinach and meat pie recipe, but if you google it I'm sure it will bring you to websites that might have a similar one to that you are looking for.
    Hope you will find help in relocating back to N.E. if that is your goal. In the meantime, be glad you're not out in these temps today - 12 degrees in MA.

tt

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good Sunday Morning,

What time is it? I always forget to turn my clocks one way or the other the night before, and then wake up in the morning totally confused! Computer clock says 9:28, so I'll go with that one.

Looks like the last of our warm sunny days for a while. Most of the snow is gone in and around my yard. Animals are starting to "think Spring" too - neighbor said when he got up in the early morning hours a couple of days ago there were 4 deer outside his kitchen window. Something must be sprouting green shoots for them to eat.

Circles, did you have your interview with the reporter? How neat is that. Had you contributed to the "Wedding" thread - is that what created their interest in your opinion?

Pingo, sorry you weren't feeling up to par on your b'day. I know the best present was having your boys home with you tho.

Mothermitzi, I was surprised to see a late night post from you last night - you have such a jam packed week-end. Enjoy the rest of your plans.

Watching the weather forecast for tomorrow closely. Doesn't look too promising for early morning travel. Probably will have to reschedule an appt. Too bad, I like to get these thing over with. I find whenever I postpone an appt., things I have to take care of snowball and there ends up being 3 or 4 in the radius of a couple of days. AM looking forward to a luncheon date towards the end of the week with a former boss of mine who I haven't seen for a few years. It will be fun to catch up on each other's lives.

Hope you all enjoy the day.

tt

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

1. bRRRRR It's cold here. Went down to 48 here last night
    2. had to put on a bath robe when I got up.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning tt,
    Just so you know, many computers are set to change the time for the old spring-forward - and will not cnange until the first weekend in April. My home computer is one, our servers at the office are not.
    My birthday went well, despite my cold. We ended up going to Legal Seafood as all the boys wanted oysters. It was close by and fine with me.

What do I hear - bad weather tomorrow? Have to check that out. Well, as long as it is not Tuesday, when both boys are leaving. At least today is another fine day. Enjoy it - Pingo

[Quote]Good Sunday Morning,

What time is it? I always forget to turn my clocks one way or the other the night before, and then wake up in the morning totally confused! Computer clock says 9:28, so I'll go with that one.

Looks like the last of our warm sunny days for a while. Most of the snow is gone in and around my yard. Animals are starting to "think Spring" too - neighbor said when he got up in the early morning hours a couple of days ago there were 4 deer outside his kitchen window. Something must be sprouting green shoots for them to eat.

Circles, did you have your interview with the reporter? How neat is that. Had you contributed to the "Wedding" thread - is that what created their interest in your opinion?

Pingo, sorry you weren't feeling up to par on your b'day. I know the best present was having your boys home with you tho.

Mothermitzi, I was surprised to see a late night post from you last night - you have such a jam packed week-end. Enjoy the rest of your plans.

Watching the weather forecast for tomorrow closely. Doesn't look too promising for early morning travel. Probably will have to reschedule an appt. Too bad, I like to get these thing over with. I find whenever I postpone an appt., things I have to take care of snowball and there ends up being 3 or 4 in the radius of a couple of days. AM looking forward to a luncheon date towards the end of the week with a former boss of mine who I haven't seen for a few years. It will be fun to catch up on each other's lives.

Hope you all enjoy the day.

tt[/Quote]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from circles82. Show circles82's posts

Pingo, sounds like a wonderful birthday to me. Glad you enjoyed it.

Yes, I had my interview. One of the producers was asking for ideas on doing flowers on a budget and I did my own flower arrangements with flowers from Costco. It went well. She is on vacation this week and the story will be out, with pictures, the following week, I think. I'll let you know.

Got to get ready for church. Have a beautiful day!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Bump!

tt

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good Sunday morning,

I have made 3 different Irish soda bread recipes during the past week, one of them being mothermitzi's from Irish Indian, and really am most pleased with one I made yesterday. It's in the traditional round form with the cross cut on the top, and patted out to a beautiful 8 1/2", rising to a thing of beauty. It incorporates baking soda and buttermilk, in fact, I basted it with a butter/buttermilk mixture several times while it was baking. The only tricky part of the recipe is the range of baking time given - depending on individual ovens. I baked mine 40" and was rewarded with a moist delicious bread with golden raisins throughout. I found it on All Recipes, it's name being Amazingly Easy Irish Soda Bread. If any of you try it, be sure to scroll down and read and heed all the reviews of previous testors. I took their advice and baked mine on a floured parchment paper on a cookie sheet, and did turn down the heat the last 5-10 minutes.

Another site I found was "Society for the Preservation of Irish Soda Bread", that gave a lot of background info on Irish Soda Bread's origin, and also a lot of helpful tips, such as not to knead it too much, as it lets the gases escape. Never knew that. I love to knead and think I have been guilty in the past of overdoing it.

I was having company yesterday and making lasagna. She has a bread machine and brought up a beautiful garlic/basil bread that we had with the lasagna. But, with our cuppa in the afternoon, my Irish Soda Bread was perfect. She was surprised at how high it had risen without the benefit of yeast.

Company is coming today, so will be off the boards. Enjoy what looks like a beautiful sunny Sunday.

tt

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

bump

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Hello all...Today...Honey and I worked on cleaning up...various areas...getting ready for inspections...today, Honey and I ate dinner outside...We used our new outside access door.Honey and Mom are making plans to watch the Simpsons and The Family Guy(w/o me) I hate cartoons...they like them

Life is good!

St. Patty's Day Patade goes right by the house next Sunday...Life gets better!

Icer out

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good Sunday Morning (it's almost afternoon),

Had a great day yesterday at the Aquarium, but word of warning: don't park in the garage right next to the Aquarium. Sign at entrance says in big letters: $19, but then in small print underneath says: "if you park before 8:00 a.m.", which no one has a chance to read before pulling your ticket and driving through the gate. We had to stand outside in the Aquarium ticket line quite a while (another hint: dress warmly, even if it is sunny, the wind coming off the water is frigid), and then took our time inside to see the show with the divers going into the tank to feed and check the fish. Talk about shock - when we punched our parking ticket out to get out of garage, parking fee was $35!! Luckily we didn't let it put a damper on the rest of our day, and we drove to Newbury St. and ate at some nice little place there that was nice and warm and the food and service was good.

Pingo, while standing in line I turned my face up to the sun, trying to remember what you had told me about renovation work your company had done (and trying to get warm!). I thought it had something to do with the aluminum (?) roofing? I didn't see anything wrong with it, no rusting or pieces loosening. Perhaps I was checking out the wrong thing.

Hope you're all having a good Sunday. Circles, the presentation (was it a workshop?) on Graceful Aging sounds good. Hard to be graceful if you're up against it financially, especially those that have worked and saved their whole lives, planning on comfortable retirement years. I'm sure they found it very helpful just to get together with others in the same circumstance.

tt