March Weekday Chats - 2009

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Yikes! We've got a lot of snow here. Have seen the plows go down the street once only, but guess we should consider outselves lucky - heard on the news that in Saugus to save money they're not going to plow the side streets?? How can they do that when people pay their taxes? How are kids there supposed to get to school - people get their cars out and go to work? And, what about fire or ambulance emergencies? Whoever made that call would be getting a lot of flack, I would think from outraged taxpayers.

tt

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Possibly the idea came from the person who writes the checks for the city and knows that soon there may be no money to write checks with

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Glad I don't live in Saugus. The street snowplow got stuck right in front of our driveway (must be really bad out there) - so at least I know, they are plowing our side streets. As a taxpayer I would not be a happy camper, if they didn't plow my street. They don't plow side streets as often as our main streets, but they do plow them - barely.
    I guess, if there is no money, then there is no money. What will come next?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Bump? - before I pull myself away from this computer -

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from circles82. Show circles82's posts

We do have snakes, especially once you are out of the city or somewhere like South Mountain where Ken hikes. Rattlesnakes of many kinds, coral snakes, sidewinders, etc are a few of the at least 18 kinds of venomous snakes found here. There are quite a few non-venomous snakes as well. I used to go hiking around Saguaro Lake and there was once a rattlesnake in my path. As long as you back up slowly and don't startle it, then it's usually fine. I don't know if Ken has scorpions in his area, but they usually tend to show up more often in the house in the summer in my experience or if there is construction nearby, especially if there is jackhammering involved. We also have a black widow spider that lives in one of the pillars that supports our back porch. I haven't seen any tarantulas recently - not usually in the urban areas. It wouldn't surprise me to see one out on a hike though, especially in the summer.
    Once, while down very near the border on a camping trip many years ago with my parents, there was a flock (?) of tarantulas crossing the road - there were hundreds of them. Driving over the hundreds of them created one of the most awful crunching sounds I've ever heard. My skin crawls thinking of it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

My skin crawls just reading about the snakes. I could never live where there were snakes - that kind anyway. A couple of years ago one of my cats brought up a garter snake from my cellar and laid him at my feet! He was dead. I used my grandfather's shillelagh that came from Ireland to flip and flip it til I had it out the back door and up into the yard. I was screaming the whole time! Seeing snakes make me physically ill.

tt

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, I am with you. I still remember when you had one of your cats bring a snake up from your cellar. Even MY skin was crawling. I can't read about them and I can't watch them on TV.
    I just love how you use the word 'shillelagh' - I don't think many knows, what it is. But since it was your grandfather's - there is no other word for it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

For those who don't know, a shillelagh is an Irish walking stick. Mine is a beautiful heavy polished blackthorn stick that stands proudly against a doorway in my living room. Since my grandfather brought it over from Ireland when he came, and both he and my grandmother died before I was born, I treasure it.

tt

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

When I hike on South Mt. I stick right to the trails.....most of the time. I have even gone out on the desert south of me which is the Gila River Indian Res. There I stick to the dirt roads also. I have never seen a snake. We did have a scopion or 2 in the house though. They are scary. I am more concerned about running into a coyote and one doesn't have to go to the Mts. for that. I saw on just a half mile from my house.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from circles82. Show circles82's posts

I did have to Wikipedia the shillelagh. That is really neat that you have it. What a treasure!

We don't have coyotes nearby, but my parents, who live closer to the Salt River reservation have them run down the street in their neighborhood occasionally. I used to drive through the Reservation on my way to work and would see them in the early mornings. I actually kind of miss them, but only from the safety of my car.
    I've been stung by scorpions twice (while pregnant, no less). They are incredibly fast little critters. You just have to check shoes before you put them on and be careful about dark places. My dad and uncle used to take these scorpion-hunting excursions around the back yard with a black light, because they glow, and capture them in peanut butter jars with BBQ tongs. My uncle has since moved, but last time I visited my parents' house, sure enough, Dad pulled out the jar from the garage to show me his latest prizes. This time, there was a centipede of some sort in there as well with three scorpions. Yuck. I guess it is better than burying them though, because the poison stays in the stinger and the dog would probably dig them up. They were all kind of small, too. Smaller is not better. Those huge black African ones you see at the zoo hardly have any poison. It's the little clear ones that really pack a punch.
    Enough with the creepy-crawlies though. I'll drop it.
    Applied for 5 more jobs today. I 'fired' the temp agency I was working with so I have a little more freedom now to apply with their competitors. It's a bit of a relief, but will definitely be more of a relief to actually have steady employment.
    I did just get a new order in though, for a luau. Key Lime candles and Grapefruit soaps for the bathrooms. Should be nice and fresh in here tomorrow.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

I boy at church got stung by a scorpion and had to be rushed to the hospital because he was in anaphalectic (SP?) shock.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

As requested, here are a few that we have tried and liked from that crock pot receipe site:

Crock pot easy swiss steak
    Crock pot festival sausage
    Chicken a la King
    Chicken in the crock pot
    90's style crockpot coq vin

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Circles,

Glad to hear your candle/soap business is really taking off. Is the luau there in AZ or are you shipping it to another state? Someone really thought it through to include citrus soaps in the bathrooms. That's party planning! Hesitate to mention her name because I know from reading one of the other threads that you're not a fan of hers, but it sounds like Sandra Lee.

How is the job market out there? Do you feel there are openings in the field you are looking into?

As for the scorpions, I don't think I could get used to being on the look out for them either. I love N.E. We have coyotes that walk down the middle of my street late on a summer night, but unless you're really small in stature, they aren't going to bother you. Garter snakes make me shudder, but they aren't going to do any damage either. I'm safe here.

Watching The Early Show this morning I got the scoop on Project Runway, but will try to stay true to the threads and post that info over there.

Good luck with your job search.

tt

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello everyone, I am in for the day. Came down with a miserable cold. I have been doing so well all winter, but I just knew this would happen.
    My old book keeper, who is so generous to come and help us out a few hours a week, had a terrible cold last Thursday - and I just knew, it would be coming to me.
    She was breating germs down my neck and I took over the mouse and the key board when she left. I even tried to sanitize those with sanitizing hand soap.
    Anyway, here I am feeling miserable.
    No, I am not asking you for your symphaty - I will get over it. Just hope you all take care of yourselves. - Pingo

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

You have a good day to be home and stay in and take care of you. I went out just to clear the car and fill the feeder and felt as tho my face was frostbitten - of course, that's because I'm such a delicate flower!

Emailed the library early on that I wouldn't be in today. I'm hunkering down, just had a salad with taboule on top, and a cup of green tea flavored with mandarin orange. Nice.

Sorry you're under the weather, but glad you're home. I was beginning to feel I was the only one on the boards. Hate a day like that. Now you can keep me company.

Did you have work yesterday? And did your new bookkeeper start?

tt

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from circles82. Show circles82's posts

The luau is here. It is for a friend of mine. Her sister is moving to HI. The candles were her idea, but I 'upsold' the soaps. She wanted another wedding cake soap for her bathroom, so I just suggested that she might also want some citrus the guest bath for the party guests. I do like to plan parties and events of all kinds. I usually have my Christmas plans done before Thanksgiving, because that's the one big one I have every year. (Big in terms of plans, not usually in the amount of people, although that varies from year to year). I also have experience in planning events for non-profits.

Mostly my deal with Sandra Lee is just that the tables are overdone and impractical - no room for food or conversation, which is the point of the gathering, and much too expensive. Most of her meals could be done without the prepackaged stuff just as easily and cheaper. I guess it is just my cheapskate side coming out. I think one can entertain simply and beautifully at the same time.

The job market is the pits.My industry has shrunk drastically. I've applied for well over 100 various positions since the layoff in August and not a single bite. I've branched out in every way, but the problem is that I am either overqualified and so they don't take me seriously (such as my applications for grocery clerk), or my previous experience coming from the mortgage industry (for a Wall St. Co. which no longer exists) causes my resume to go directly to the round file. I've tried to highlight my sales and customer service experience outside the context of lending, but it's a hurdle I have yet to overcome.

Pingo - I hope you feel better soon. Wish I could send you some of the soup I made from the pot roast leftovers and stock.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Bump!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"Now you can keep me company."

or maybe not

I'm off to wash the floors.

tt

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from circles82. Show circles82's posts

Oh man, guess this means I should head off to the bank. I've been procrastinating.
    I nearly bumped your bump of my bump over on the other thread. I was hoping dear Pingo would join us today since she is home.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I had thought Pingo would be on the boards today too, not on the Reality Show thread, because I know she doesn't watch much TV. That's why I started a separate thread on that topic for those of us who have our favorites that we watch. Didn't want to aggrevate those who don't, but it seems today it did aggrevate her.

Boredom or not, at least I got the floors washed. Keep some chicken nuggets and fries in the freezer - the grandkids love those - but baked some up for my own supper tonight with plenty of ketchup and sweet/sour sauce. Found a new sour cream with choc filling coffee cake on a site today and will scoot out to the store tomorrow for some sour cream needed. Must be plenty rich, takes a whole cup of butter (margarine here). No matter how good I am with breakfast I always want a little sweetness to finish it off.

tt

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hi tt,
    Hubby called off work yesterday - incl. our new book keeper. We knew, not many employees would come in (even though one of my employee will come in all the way from Fitchburg - rain or snow. But some from "next door" will not - go figure) - We gave them the day off - with pay. That does not happen too often. For a small company like ours it is a lot of money.

Today I am just drinking hot tea with lemon and sleeping most of the day. No appetite what so ever. Think Mr. Pingo will bring home pizza - even though I have plenty of food in my freezer - I just don't have the energy to make anything. And I really don't care for pizza either. A yougurt will be fine for me. Amazing how much a cold can do to you to feel so miserable. Not to worry, I will be fine tmw - or the next day. Thanks all for your well wishes. - P

[Quote]You have a good day to be home and stay in and take care of you. I went out just to clear the car and fill the feeder and felt as tho my face was frostbitten - of course, that's because I'm such a delicate flower!

Emailed the library early on that I wouldn't be in today. I'm hunkering down, just had a salad with taboule on top, and a cup of green tea flavored with mandarin orange. Nice.

Sorry you're under the weather, but glad you're home. I was beginning to feel I was the only one on the boards. Hate a day like that. Now you can keep me company.

Did you have work yesterday? And did your new bookkeeper start?

tt[/Quote]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi tt -

I thought I would be bored yesterday but ended up working all day on the computer. My boss has given me the option before of working from home on bad weather days, but I rarely took him up on it. However, now I'll think twice about it. It was nice not having to deal with the T. I could have stayed home today, too, but went in anyway. Tonight, I walked by the spot where the Copley farmers market operates and thought, just a couple of months and this place will come alive again.

My pot roast was delicious. I had enough for two meals and a big portion for my father. I will have the last of it for lunch tomorrow. I don't have chicken nuggets on hand, but I do keep fish sticks in the freezer - and tater tots! Every once in awhile I succumb. Can't beat the convenience. I have tartar sauce with the fish and ketchup with the tater tots. We do have our cravings now and then! If I didn't have left over pot roast, I would have had that tonight.

St. Patrick's Day is looming and that means I'm starting to think of Irish bread and corned beef and cabbage. I'll pay attention to the sales next week and see where the best deals are. Last year I think I paid $2.49 a pound for the gray corned beef. I like it better than the brisket.

On Saturday, my neighbor told me he saw one of the hawks sitting on top of the pine tree. I was on my way to pick up my father and didn't stop to chat long. We had an early dinner at the Hilltop. It was not one of our better experiences there.

mothermitzi

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi pingo -

Feel better and stay home! Don't push it.

mothermitzi

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi circles -

I saw a bit on the NBC nightly news about laid off workers reinventing themselves and going back to school, etc... I thought of you and your candle/soap business. You know, that may take off to the point where you don't have to work outside your home. I had to reinvent myself a couple of times. I guess we do what we have to. This recession is different though. I can tell just from the lack of shoppers and diners along Boylston and Newbury Streets that we are in trouble.

Good luck. You seem very upbeat and that's a good thing.

mothermitzi

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

I think I'll reinvent myself and become a lazy bum.....oh...you say I am that already? :)