May 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

May 2013

Happy May Day!  Just got an email from G.T. - had forgotten all about it.  He and the boys used to put a dixie cup full of violets on porches of next door neighbor and the elderly neighbor on the corner, and run and hide.  I've told before how I'm sure the lady on the corner always saw them, but she would make a big deal about, "Ohhhh, who could have left these beautiful flowers for me???"

P.S.  He had heard from father-to-be of the shower we went to Sat and he and wife and several others came down with this same 24 hour thing.  Said lady who had it thought she was over it - wonder if it was the aunt who did all the cooking -

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: May 2013

The year is just flying by, can't believe it's May 1st already. The science fair project is due on May 21st. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to Winter2011Bride's comment:

The year is just flying by, can't believe it's May 1st already. The science fair project is due on May 21st. 

You'll have peas by then!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Whoops!

the experiment is showing why most commercial farmers use non-organic soil.  :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Do you think we will have peas by then? I have no idea hoe long they take to grow. DS actually said he thought the organic would grow faster since people claim organic stuff is better then non-organic. The leaves on the organic one seem to be greener in color though. :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I thought the organic would be faster growing, greener, and bigger.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If that were the case everything sold would be organic!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Organic produce blemishes more easily, rots/oxidizes quicker, and doesn't grow as fast, and the crops don't produce as much per acre.  that's why the commercial farming process got "improved."  People who prefer organic do so because they don't want to eat chemical pesticide, chemical fertilizer, and eat genetically modified food (USDA Organic requires non-GMO), not because the fruit and veggies look bigger and better...they typically are less pretty.

"I don't care about spots on my apples just give me the birds and the bees," is a song lyric that refers to organic produce being easily damaged but better for the environment.  

ETA:  if you want to prove the gmo difference to yourself, buy 3 different varieties of organic/non-GMO apples, and three of the same varieties that are not organic.  Cut them in half and leave them exposed to the air and see which ones turn brown first and the most.  Apples have been genetically modified to not turn brown as fast (some don't oxide at all!) after being cut and to not rot as quickly in storage. growers can make a lot more money that way, obviously.  Same with wheat.  It's been modified to produce more per acre and to last longer in storage.  In the process it has become more glutenous than the original version, hence all the gluten intolerance.

when everything was organic, crops didn't produce as much, were more prone to blight and pest destruction, and rotted faster.  That cost farmers big money.  So, they solved those problems with chemicals and genetic modifications.

ETA:  that song is "Big Yellow Taxi" by Counting Crows

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

May.  Wow.  Almost summer!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Oh, and I need some ideas for apps for the baby shower.  Preferably easy to make/transport and won't spoil outside.  Food is cookout-ish (grilled chicken, tips, salads, etc).  I saw a great zuccini flatbread type deal on FB that looks good and I will probaly do cherry tomato/mozz ball skewers.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

How about fresh fruit skewers too?  pineapple, grape, strawberry.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Good one, TT!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Beautiful day out.  Have been sitting on the front steps reading, Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.  Loving it, fast enjoyable reading.  Nice to have stairposts out there to lean against now if I do want to sit and read.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ah, yes, I was out on the patio soaking up some sun today, too.  Now, to bake more "safe" cupcakes.  

Nov, I made a fruit salad with a mint simple syrup (1:1 sugar and water reduced on stove to syrup with mint), and people raved about how amazing it was.  The mint seriously made it a gourmet dish, and it was so easy!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

G.T. just sent me a "Happy May Day" picture of a patch of growing violets.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

It is a nice day. I'd love to be sitting outside reading.  tt, have the roofers come back to pain your ceiling again or it is all set?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

They are coming Sat morning, 8 a.m.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Hopefully, there are no more problems after that. I'll be headed out soon. Hope everyone has a nice night.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Is it really true that farmers who grow 'organic' use organic soil?  I think they don't - as soil is soil for a farmer - that is, he/she has many miles of farmland and grows on it.  we are the ones who build little plots and put soil in them, or amend with compost, leaves, manure, etc.

I think (although i've not done all the research and can't stop to do so now) that organic veges and fruits are called that because the farmers don't use pesticides, hormones, don't use genetically modified (Monsanto) seeds, etc.  Organic farmers might use fertilizers, but only organic ones, that don't also have poisons that would go back into the ground, or ruin bees, birds, etc.

So, yes, organic fruit and veges aren't the prettiest, but they are the healthiest!  And also organic meat tastes better and also doesn't have those nasty growth hormones, the animals were kept in reasonably healthy and nice environments, and they weren't pumped full of antibiotics.

Organic milk lasts longer than non-organic milk, it's amazing.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Non-organic growing soil has fertilizing chemicals to help the plants grow...like Miracle Grow.  USDA Organic fruits and vegetables cannot be grown using chemical fertilizer.

I agree that organic is far better - not in terms of nutrition (as has been pointed out ad nauseum in the media) but in terms of how polluted the soil gets and how much pesticide we really want to eat.  Also, GMO food like wheat really IS different in that, for instance, it has more gluten which is clearly causing a large part of the population real problems.  As is hormonally injected food - and we wonder why kids are going through puberty at 9...

ETA: I wasn't saying organic isnt better because it spoils faster (I'd rather eat an apple capable of oxidizing, personally), I'm pointing out that it makes perfect sense that Winter's son's project plants show the non-organic ones growing faster than the organic ones.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

That's interesting (and scary) about apples that are non-organic taking longer to spoil.  I haven't noticed that, but I have noticed that our 1/2 gallon of organic milk lasts forever in our fridge!  Whereas non-organic milk would spoil in several days, our organic takes about 2 weeks to spoil.  And that is great for a couple without children who don't go through much milk but want it there when we want it.  I do wish we could get organic 2% milk in quarts - I've only been able to find it in 1/2 gallons. But, since it doesn't spoil quickly, that's not usually a problem.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Up early enough to still have Harry here, talking and waiting for his f.f.  That's always a good start to my day.  Errands that have to be done today, so hoping back cooperates by at least holding me upright.  Winter, did your fence get finished?

Enjoying latest book so much, it's a quick, easy, enjoyable read, and you really get involved with the characters.  She does a great job in giving you a feel of their personalities.  See she has written a previous book, so will check for that when I'm done with this.

Leftover pancakes this morning to heat up.  Plan on getting out early, will check in later.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning. tt, the fence was finished Tuesday. They cemented the gate poles and told us not to use either gate for a few days. We'll get out there Saturday and start some clean up of the yard.Glad you got to see Harry, panckaes sound good. DS had some Eggo waffles for breakfast. Talk to you later when you come back. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning,

CT, yes, it is scary, and telling people it's nutritionally the same (vitamins, fiber, etc) is throwing the general grocery consumong public off the real scent, but it is really all about the huge money that "traditional" (nice euphemism, huh) farming brings in.

tt, DH wanted pancakes last night for dinner so we, too, had leftover, heated up pancakes for breakfast.  Funny on the same day - we hardly ever have them!  Actually, I'm saving mine for a savory lunch with goat cheese and marmalade...yum......

speaking of yum, I did make the goodies I had said I was going to make for a week, lol, yesterday.  And, I used the Vitamix to powder the coconut sugar so was able to make real buttercream frosting for DH that won't cause his inflammation problem to act up.  I froze most of them.  Our wedding cake froze well (with buttercream) so I'm assuming it'll be ok.

pingo, I think of you every time I use the vita - love, love, love it.

winter, you must be psyched about the fence.  It's great we'll have nice weather for you to get it all cleaned up and looking perfect.

Was out playing this morning with Gracie, and we had to come in - the blackflies are out en masse.  Yuck!

Have a great day, everyone,

~kar

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Worked late at the office last night, but I got everything squared away, so I can take it easier today. And that is good, because my way old original hip/back pain is now acting up. Imagine that with all the treatments I had for the past months for other problems, that now are 99% better, I have to deal with this - and on a cruise? Just did my exercises, and that seemed to help a bit.
    Have a couple of errands to do this morning. One is to go to the RMV and get our name on the registration on my car, we bought out after the lease. The other is to go to TJ's and pick up a couple of snacks to have on the boat. On our last cruise I paid $5 for an airplane size bag of peanuts.
    Besides that, I have to water and set up my plants for the week, then do some ironing and pack for both of us. I don't think I will see DH on this side of midnight today.
    Hope you feel better as the day goes by, tt. Have to be the weather change, since we both are suffering. Glad you had a chat w/ Harry.
    Never thought of powdering sugar in the Vita, Kar. But why not? Glad you are making good use out of yours.
    Everyone have a great day.

Sections
Shortcuts