May 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Re: May 2013

56! years, SS, is a great accomplishment, Congratulations!  I'd ask for ice cream for a week!  You deserve it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, everyone,

spent an impromptu day with the trips and fam - left early got home late since DH took today off and I wouldn't have to worry about Gracie.  Had a wonderful day.

pingo, have a fab time in Bermuda!

ss, glad you got back in and congrats on 56 years, WOW!!

didn't sit down all day...so tired, but exhilarated for spending quality time with my friend and helping the fam out in the kitchen.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Another beautiful day.  Every morning when I check out the back windows, more has come alive in the backyard.  This morning, the wisteria has formed it's green buds, and the green and white ornamental grasses have sprung up.  Birds are up the back part of the yard, pulling up worms. - Speaking of meals for birds, the sparrows  have discovered the grass seed.  Saw them scratching around out there yesterday.  That's another thing to add to my "look for" list - a shallow metal or crockery dish that will inconspicuously sit in the cement bird bath (see avatar).  That was here when we bought the house 48 years ago, love it, but it has always leaked.  Want to find something that won't stick out like a sore thumb to sit in it, especially this year that there are so many sparrows nest building in the shrubs out there.

Up at 6:00, so my plan was to get dressed quickly, run up to S&S and do a little shopping before the ceiling guy came, since  he said yesterday it won't be until 9:00-9:30.  Hunger is always sitting right up front when I get up tho, and I know from past experience that when I shop before I eat - the carriage fills up.  So, here I am, an hour later, having had coffee and raisin toast with cream cheese, but no way near ready to run out.  Guess my early shopping expedition isn't going to happen.

Wondered where you were yesterday, Kargiver, glad it was a fun day and not because you were down with a headache.

SS, as usual, your anniversary card is one of the missing - looking for a funny one, but those are harder and harder to come by, that is, without being snipey or obnoxious.  You know I wish you both well tho, and I'll check in with you tomorrow.

Now I really do have to get myself ready in case he decides to come at the 8:00 time that was planned before.  Hope there's some activity on the boards today.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

I thought of how I should have popped on before I left while making their staple lemon cake mid-morning so you wouldn't worry, but it was too late, sorry!  We had a full, great day.  Saw the Dad for ~15 minutes as they sat down to dinner and enjoyed the reactions to it.  They always invite me to stay and eat, but the point right now is to leave them with leftovers so she can have a break - every minute counts in their long, difficult days, and a lunch all prepared...well, you understand.

things are popping here, too, every day!  The greenhouse lettuce and spinach is nearly ready for salad bowls.  Our grasses and day lilies are making strong comebacks, and the apple trees are about to flower.  Yay for Spring from the North Shore to the Worcester hills!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

After giving you the heads up on Petey, I stopped and realized that you are not one to read long postings/blogs, your style is to skim read.  So, I won't even ask you if you have enjoyed her ranch life that she manages with RA.  But, another that I enjoy and am enjoying now particularly is JoeyJoan who evidently has quite a piece of property right in NJ.  She too, includes pics and yesterday and today are pics of a "condo" her husband put out for the bees, which have moved right in.  Enjoyable posts to start the day off with, interesting, down to Earth ladies, both.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I hadn't looked at it yet, but if it's got longer posts it's not necessarily a show stopper, lol.  Thanks for the reminder!  We didn't buy more bees to kill this year...hopefully, they'll get better homes elsewhere. ;)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Perhaps they saw ads for the condos in NJ!

ETA:  Phew!  Have to go peel off a layer of clothing.  It's warming up here.  Certainly don't need the sweatshirt on.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

tt, Like your new avitar....real pretty.  Had to log in again this AM, don't mind doing it as long as they let me in.....Nice out today, hope it stays this way.....love pooking around in the yard, but only it the weather is warm....reading the paper I notice lots of flea mkts are popping up.....love looking, not much of a buyer...  Pingo, hope you enjoy your cruise, I have heard they are terrific, especially all the food thats available all the time.....Few errands to run, so take care all and thank you all  so much for the congrats.....ss

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Just popping on for a moment to say hello.  Ran over to Costco to get some storage bins.  All my childrens' books are going into the attic until there's someone new to read them.  The bookcase freed from that will move to the office to hold my books and files which have been growing.  I will be 'wicked' busy over the next two weeks, meetings galore, work etc. but I usually read even if I can't post. 

Also got my hanging basket for the front of the house, figure that it is warmer there and the frost should not get it.  Hope that's true.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Closing a few windows - breezy and cold.  May try to find a sunny warm spot and a new book to start.

Ceiling guy mentioned he had thought how nice the door and wreath looked when he drove by.  Now, I'll wait a couple of more days and then call my son for lawn guy's number - the grass is getting too high for my likings.  Thought he would be by last week.

Gave up idea of running out today, I like the early morning to get my poking done, before everyone else is up and out there.  Gradually moving stuff back into the toyroom, no hurry, I'm sure family will wait until next Sunday (Mother's Day) to stop down.  

Thinking of some American Chop Suey for supper, think there's a little hamburg in freezer and I hope a can of tomatoes on the shelf.  Always a dessert of some kind lurking in there - choc pudding cake I know is in there in individual servings.  That warmed with vanilla ice cream and whipped cream should round it off.  Probably won't be on again today unless there's some more chatter.  Got a lot accomplished this morning, so a leisurely afternoon ahead of me.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Mother's Day!  Checked the calendar to see if my dental appt was this week, and realized a week from tomorrow is Mother's Day.  Since all of the boys will be down at some point anyway, decided to see if I could coordinate them all here around the same time, for a bite to eat.  Nothing fancy, just - I'm not sure what yet.  Only ones I reached were G.T. and partner, and youngest.  He was just going into his son's basketball game.  Depending on how they do this week-end will determine whether or not they play again next week-end.  G.T. and partner can make it.  Left messages at other sons', and will see what turns up.  Determined to make menu easy.  Dessert is a sure thing, will be the strawberry/rhubarb dessert they all love.

Pulled the hose as far as it would go out front and sprayed the grass seed down.  Made a few pink yoyos, thinking that even tho I haven't been able to find a small pillow to cover, will make a small table scarf like I have and put in GD's birthday bag - it's next week-end, so I've got to get myself up to the cloth store and pick up some other coordinating patterns/colors.  I think I can do it by then.  Will double check and see how many I need to make the same size.  She was fascinated with the looks of mine, and could put it on her nightstand.

Hope you all enjoyed the day.  I ended up putting that sweatshirt back on mid afternoon.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ah, yes, Mother's Day is practically upon us...I hope all the mothers here get the praise and appreciation they so highly deserve.

DH wants to go to NH, but BIL...sigh.

Between the birds and the drought, it's going to be tough going for your lawn, tt...hoping it makes it and takes hold!

great job with the projects, tt.  I haven't been able to finish that baby blanket because I can't find another skein of the same yarn; have checked three regular places.  They have had that brand, but not that color...grrr!

made taco baked potatoes for dinner...yummy, fun, and something different.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good Sunday morning,

Well don't give me too much praise for that "project" yet, Kargiver.  I counted the yoyos last night and that small scarf has 66!  I'll never get that done by Sat, plus sew them all invisibly together.  It was a thought, but one that came too late.

As for a NH mother's day visit - you'd be going for his mother, remember.  It's about her on Sunday.  She'd appreciate the fact that you made the effort.  You can always leave after a short visit.

Those potatoes sound delicious.  I did end up with the American chop suey and it tasted so good.  I had to laugh at myself and my "easy" menu for Mother's day.  All yesterday I was writing down menu ideas.  We have those who eat only chicken and turkey, kids who mostly like plain pasta, and now also a son who is a self procrlaimed gluten free eater.  I ended up with a list of recipes that looked like a restaurant!  BUT, after my supper, decided, depending on who is coming, I would make a huge pot of American chop suey only with ground turkey and some extra spices, enough elbow macaroni for both the chop suey and the pasta/butter kids, and chicken legs (of which I have 16! don't know when I thought I was going to eat that many!),.  Oh, and to suit my fancy, 3 batches of cinnamon rolls (Pillsbury canned).  There it is.  The chop suey can be made Sat, and in fact will be better the next day.  Now if I can only stick to my guns.  May throw in there a brown rice skillet dish for gluten free son to have with chicken legs.

I really want to get out early this morning for a couple of quick errands.  Have to google and see what time the stores I have to hit open, and  try to get out.  It's another beautiful day so I imagine we'll all be out enjoying it.  Have a good one.

ETA:  A Sunday morning visit from Harry.  Opened the back door to check the temp, and there he was.  It's going to be a good day.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to kargiver's comment:

Ah, yes, Mother's Day is practically upon us...I hope all the mothers here get the praise and appreciation they so highly deserve.

DH wants to go to NH, but BIL...sigh.

Between the birds and the drought, it's going to be tough going for your lawn, tt...hoping it makes it and takes hold!

great job with the projects, tt.  I haven't been able to finish that baby blanket because I can't find another skein of the same yarn; have checked three regular places.  They have had that brand, but not that color...grrr!

made taco baked potatoes for dinner...yummy, fun, and something different.

Kar..have you tried Hobby Lobby in Manchester NH? They have a pretty expansive selection of yarn. Also...what I have done in the past when I have had a hard time finding needlpoint thread in the exact color I need is to search on Amazon.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!  After enjoying a leisurely breakfast of, yes, tater tacos and coffee, lol, DH whisked us off to the farm coop where Gracie is welcome.  Just got back.  What a gorgeous day!  

Too bad about your project being bigger than anticipated, tt - what to do instead?

Tt, what a list of picky eaters you are sweet to accomodate!  Sounds like you chose some tasty things that everyone will like, as usual.

yes, Mother's Day is definitely about mom, but if her son has a complete screaming meltdown to entertain himself because I'm there it won't be fun for her, either.  He's far more of a problem than any average jo schmo jerk.

Thanks, miscricket.  Good to see you!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

DH took strawberries from last year out of the freezer yesterday so I've got biscuits in the oven for "shortcake" tonight.  Made an Emeril recipe for lunch that I modified to be safe for DH that was EXCELLENT, Shrimp and Egg Fried Rice and Napa Cabbage (Foodnetwork.com) with 1/2 regular cabbage (not napa and far more than the 1/2 cup it called for) and half farro instead of white rice.

I'm thoroughly enjoying a beer the trips' dad gave me - we have the same (excellent if I do say so) taste in beer.  Actually, he turned me into the beer snob I am. :)

now, to vac really quick.  What a mess and so fast!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to kargiver's comment:

Good morning!  After enjoying a leisurely breakfast of, yes, tater tacos and coffee, lol, DH whisked us off to the farm coop where Gracie is welcome.  Just got back.  What a gorgeous day!  

Too bad about your project being bigger than anticipated, tt - what to do instead?

Tt, what a list of picky eaters you are sweet to accomodate!  Sounds like you chose some tasty things that everyone will like, as usual.

yes, Mother's Day is definitely about mom, but if her son has a complete screaming meltdown to entertain himself because I'm there it won't be fun for her, either.  He's far more of a problem than any average jo schmo jerk.

Thanks, miscricket.  Good to see you!

Hi Kar..nice to see you too :-) I don't suppose you'd like to share that recipe for the tater tacos? Sounds like something my son would enjoy. 

TT, you are really nice to try to accomodate everyone's taste. American Chop Suey made with ground turkey is a great idea for a dish. I use ground turkey in a lot of dishes as a substitute for beef. I am the same way. I will prepare multiple dishes to accomodate everyone's tastes..allergies..etc.

There is a nice recipe for Oven Brown Rice that might work out you so that you don't have to watch the rice on the stovetop. I've done this recipe before and you can easily add stuff depending on your taste (some ground tomatoes and basil for an Italian spin..so to speak).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Good morning everyone.  TT - are sure you want to do all of the cooking for Mother's Day?  I think you shouldn't have to lift a finger that day!  I know you enjoy  doing things for your family though.

Mother's Day is getting complicated (of course) with us.  Trying to coordinate so both my mom and MIL and familys are included.  Seeing both my SILs are also Mothers, I would like to have it at my house so they can be spoiled as well.  However, both sets of families (my bro and DH's bro) each have soccer, hockey and lacrosse games they have to be in on Sunday at all parts of the state.  So, it looks like I will be doing brunch, but most likely will have multiple "shifts" of people.  DH has promised me he will help me, and he does, so that will be good.

Weekend was nice.  Saw Mom on Sat, went to my nephew's lacrosse game yesterday.  That was fun and interesting to watch.

Have a great day everyone!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Couldn't post last night, and had a crazy format of a page.  Wanted to answer you, Miscricket, would love that oven brown rice recipe at some point.  May not use it this time because dessert will be in the oven first, and then the chicken legs.  I do those at 400.

Princess, I understand completely how difficult it is to find a time everyone can be there.  People have other commitments too.  Lilly and her fam I suspect will be going to her father's parents house, DIL didn't say, only that just she and my son will be down.  Haven't heard from intown son or fam yet, and of course, still waiting on the basketball tournament with youngest son's son.  I know he will pop over at some point, but have a feeling this traveling basketball thing will still be going on.

Looks like rain, but Barry Burbank says, no, it will all burn off with temps in the 60's this afternoon.  Have GD's birthday bag to fill, so will be out browsing around today for things.

Starving this morning but want to eat those bananas before they start to brown spot, so instead of bacon and eggs will do cheerios and banana.  Will check in again later.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to toytrumpet's comment:

Good morning,

Couldn't post last night, and had a crazy format of a page.  Wanted to answer you, Miscricket, would love that oven brown rice recipe at some point.  May not use it this time because dessert will be in the oven first, and then the chicken legs.  I do those at 400.

Princess, I understand completely how difficult it is to find a time everyone can be there.  People have other commitments too.  Lilly and her fam I suspect will be going to her father's parents house, DIL didn't say, only that just she and my son will be down.  Haven't heard from intown son or fam yet, and of course, still waiting on the basketball tournament with youngest son's son.  I know he will pop over at some point, but have a feeling this traveling basketball thing will still be going on.

Looks like rain, but Barry Burbank says, no, it will all burn off with temps in the 60's this afternoon.  Have GD's birthday bag to fill, so will be out browsing around today for things.

Starving this morning but want to eat those bananas before they start to brown spot, so instead of bacon and eggs will do cheerios and banana.  Will check in again later.

Hi TT..just let me know. I cook a lot of brown rice..and like this recipe because I don't have to stand over the stove watching it..lol.

It's was really foggy this morning when I woke up..but it's all cleared off now. No sun though. I hear we are going to get some much needed rain. All the same..it's a happy Monday because I looked out my living room window to the sight of hundreds of lilac blossoms. Apparently the previous owner loved lilacs as much as I do :-)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Yes, TT, the forums and discussions on Boston.com were totally messed up last night.  It's appalling to think that the omission of one character from a script can do that, isn't it?

We continued to work on moving furniture this weekend and made progress. Then I made a nice dinner of spaghetti and have a lot of sauce left over for another meal or two; I may freeze it.   I will spend today moving stuff back and doing a few outside errands; library, mother's day and graduation cards, prescription pickup.  It looks as if the rest of the week will be rainy so if you have stuff to do outside, today is the day!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Ohhh, graduation.  Glad you mentioned it.  I have a GD graduating this year.  They are so quiet, almost secretive about their affairs, that I completely forgot this is the year she graduates.  Haven't heard anything about date or any party plans.  I'll have to go online now and google her school and see what the date is.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. We are into our final week of plant measuring, etc. We stop with the measurents on the 13th and then the project is due the 21st. DS will start typing stuff that he has already this weekend, to get a jump on it. As for Mother's Day, no idea what we are doing. Sounds like everyone had a nice weekend. I was down and out most of Saturday with a headache.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hope you're feeling better today, Winter.  Is your son pleased with the project he chose and the way it came out?

Time is getting away from me this morning, almost 10:00 already.  Intown son just called, he is working Sunday, so will stop by early before he goes in.  I've a feeling lunch will just be G.T., me and Newton son and DIL.  G.T. said he is bringing a pasta salad.  Sounds perfect to fit in with the rest, to me.

Have to get going.  Wish the sun would come out.  

BTW, from the front room window I can see sprigs of new grass coming up where I seeded!  Only gave it that one watering, must have been good stuff.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

This getting up at 6:00 to perhaps catch a glimpse of Harry, is driving me nuts.  I eat breakfast so darn early that by 10:00 I'm starving again.  Figured I shouldn't go shopping on a hungry stomach, so just made a lettuce, ham, pickle, swiss cheese on raisin bread!  Looks as tho I may not get out at all today!

Mentioned graduation to son and they have been waiting for dau to decide if she wanted a party - yes, she does, so it may well be held either here or at their good friend's down the street.

Sections
Shortcuts