May 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: May 2013

In response to Winter2011Bride's comment:

tt, please let ss know that I'm thinking of her and hoping she feels better; must be very painful. Yes, they have Baked Alaska...it's so good. You can get either Hot Fudge or Strawberry drizzled on top, I go for the Hot Fudge.

Ah, I would go for the strawberry in that instance.

Just heated up the bowl of chop suey leftover.  Has sprinkled a little nutmeg in the browning of the chicken, think I can taste it just a little.  Noone seemed to notice or question "What is that I taste?" !

I will tell SS you are sending good thoughts when I talk with her the end of the afternoon.  Told her DD to tell her not to pick up her cell if she doesn't feel up to talking.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Tell SS that I hope she heals quickly.  Rib injuries are very painful; tell her not to stint on pain meds.  I think it's easier to heal if one can move a little. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Winter,
    I promised to give you some specifics in regard to our cruise. The best part of this cruise was, that it took off from Boston. No airports, airlines and stay-over-night hotel to fight. The cruise was nice. Especially for us, since there were no phones and no computers/iPads to use. So all we could do was to relax. And we both needed that.
    Our room was very nice. Large and w/ a balcony. Mid ship - so convenient to everything. You can get rooms w/o a balcony, but I would recommend one, as you on this particular cruise are spending a lot of time on the ocean. We used ours a lot. It had a fold out sofa, and there is plenty of room for 3 people.
    Since you said you would be bringing your DS, I need to tell you, there were really no activities for a pre-teen/teenager. Could be b/c schools are still in session. Plenty of activities for families with small children - like balloon twisting f. ex. Also many of the areas with bars, were banned for children under 18.
    The first two days and the last 3 days we spent on the ship. There were lots of adult activities, but unless your DS like to suntan or swim, there would not be much for him to do. We couldn't use the sundeck or the pools going, b/c the air was freezing cold. Coming back it was warmer, and we enjoyed both.
    The eat-all-you-want buffet is always there. It was ok, but the menu never changed. After a few meals there, a change was needed. There were only two restaurants that was complimentary. The other 7 restaurants had a cover fee. From $15 (Chinese) to $70 (steak house) pp.
    Portions served in the restaurants were very small. Great for me being on Loseit!, but not enough for a grown man. I ordered a strip steak f. ex. It was 1/2 inch thick and about the size of a deck of cards served w/ 2 small wedges of roasted potatoes and 3 broccoli florets. DH compensated for it by ordering 2 appetizers (soup and salad), and our friends ordered 2 entrees. And you could always get pizza and french fries 24 hours a day. Food is not that important to us, but many was complaining. I don't know your family's eating habits, but I wanted to bring it up.
    Bermuda is very nice. Much more well kept than the Caribbean. The ship's excursion fares are outrageous. You will find plenty of cabs and transportation at the dock. They charge you per hour. F. ex., the ship charges $50 pp for a trip on the glass bottom boat to see the sea life and coral reef. It is w/i walking distance from the ship, and only $20 pp at the window. They also have public buses, where you can buy a day pass for $15. Then you can get off and on, wherever you want.
    We did have a great time. But would we go with Norwegian again? Probably not. This was our 4th cruise. The Disney cruise was definitely the best of them, then Princess to Alaska, followed by the Norwegian and Carnival coming in last.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sun is out, but brrrr!  Wondering if the wood stove is really done for the year, and Gracie is, too - she's curled up in front of it as if to say, well, you know. ;)

Sounds like everyone had a lovely MD weekend, that's great.  Well, except poor SS - I hope she got her KFC before her fall. :(

Pingo, what a trip!  Odd that you'd have to pay extra to get something other than what became the "same old buffet."  And, for extra $$ the portions should have been satisfactory for a grown man!  If most men order a meal they pay that much extra for they'd be ticked to have such skimpy portions.  I'd be as happy as you were, though, since there's no way to bag 1/2 for later.  You did great, by the way, re LoseIt - I read and responded in that thread.  I think Carnival is last on everyone's list at this point.  How much more can that brand take before it, er, sinks?

Took Gracie to her annual appointment which, come to find out upon our arrival, that it's NEXT MONDAY.  Whoops.  She was bummed and plunked her butt down facing the door into the exam area (in total confusion) when I told her it was time to go.  Smart dog.  Dumb Mama. ;)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just talked with SS and she is, of course, still in a lot of pain, and taking pain meds they gave her.  Has an appt. tomorrow with her p.c.  I gave her all your best wishes.

You must have been a little upset with yourself for the trip to the vet's for nothing, Kargiver.  Too bad they couldn't have fit you in as long as you were there - but I know how it is, they're as busy and closely booked as our medical doctors.

Just threw a potato in the oven, and will cook up another ear of corn for supper tonight.

Saw a couple of young kids go by with their fishing rods a little while ago, and one was carrying a pretty good size waste paper basket - for their catches, I guess!  Bringing home supper for Mama.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Poor SS, I can only imagine the pain even breathing causes, and of course you're stuck having to do that no matter what. :(

I was embarrased at my mistake for sure!  But, what can ya do, those things happen.  Gracie was more ticked than I was, not wanting to leave without seeing her favorite doc.

fishing?  Brr, cold day to stand on water's edge.  Hope it was well worth it!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Pingo thanks for the info on the Bermuda cruise. We'd definitely get a balcony. I don't like Carnival either. We've taken Royal and Norweigan. I took a Carnival cruise many years ago. I'll need to investigate because I thought they had a teen program, which would give teens something to do at night. Is there a lot to do in Bermuda though I think the pool and the beach will keep him entertained. 

Have a good night everyone.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Surfing channels last night came across Real Housewives of OC - did you know they had started up again?  Was a new episode at 10:00, and saw that Millionaire Listings of NYC starts up again this Weds. at 10:00.  I love that show, so glad their new season has rolled around.  Real Housewives of NYC is the "housewives" series I prefer, but no inkling when that will start up again.  Think I'll copy and post this on the soap thread - not quite a soap, but pretty close.

Staying up later last night meant sleeping in later this morning, so missed my little breakfast pal.  He may yet stop by after he has made his other rounds.  Getting out by 10:00 this morning, but will make it back in time for Y&R, since tomorrow I've a noon dental appt. and won't see it.  Waiting for cousin to call with dates she has free, so we can set up the Century House, Winter, I'm drooling thinking of that baked alaska.  Been years since I had one of those.  Remember once when the kids were little, attempted making one.  They weren't too impressed, would have rather just had the plain ice cream.  That's kids for you!

Never saw those boys come back from fishing, Kargiver, so don't know if they brought back a bucket of fish or not.  I wouldn't eat anything from that pond anyway, not fast enough moving water.  My boys always did "catch and release" there, still do "catch and release" no matter where they fish now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'd like to have one day of my housewife life be unfettered by a budget, lol. :)

It's 62 in here...time to light the wood stove, can you believe it?

Fish or none, I hope they had fun - I know I'd have been too cold, but guys can take it.

I'm sure Harry made out OK...he's a resourceful fella!

time to make the coffee - already had "dinner" for breakfast - and honestly start the stove. brrr

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. tt, hope you get to the Century House soon. I had French Onion soup, then Prime Rib, Delmonico potatoes, squash, followed by the Baked Alaska. Now I've made myeslf hungry.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

...and me, too, Winter - thanks a lot!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    So cold out! Filled up the bird feeder earlier, and my fingers turned blue. What is it with this weather?
    Have you heard from ss this morning, tt? I once had a bruise on my ribs, and it was no fun. Just can't imagine the pain of a broken rib. One need to move the rib cage after all. Best wishes, ss.
    2 days down, 6 more to go. Made Pasta Primavera with asparagus and snow peas for BIL last night. Was delicious; nothing left. Served it with a spinach/arugula/strawberry salad and garlic bread. Don't know yet, what will be on the table tonight. Those beautiful Globe Artichokes from TJ's are calling me. But what do I serve them with? A rice pilaf maybe? Any suggestions?
    Winter, I would do some research before you book the cruise. There was really not much to do for your DS. But again, it could be b/c right now, not many children can join their parents, as schools are still in session.
    Bermuda is nice. The Horseshoe Beach is very, very nice. Soft pink sand. It is about an hour from the dock, so you do need some kind of transportation to get there. And then there are the Crystal Caves, which are just awesome. Your DS would love those. The glass bottom boat was nice too, but it depends on the weather, what you will see and experience.
    Have a busy day at my office. My CPA is coming. Gotta run. Chat later.
    You all have a great day

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

On my way out, but had time to read your post, Pingo.  Were people riding mopeds when you were there?  Many years ago that we went, but everyone rented mopeds and drove them to wherever they went.  Quaint!  Chat later.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Mmm, hard to complain about those gourmet meals, Pingo - how delish!  I think rice pilaf is a good choice with the artichokes as would be sauteed garlic shrimp.  I like the large ones, raw and frozen.  I thaw in the sink in a colander under cold water (15 minutes), peel, and sauté in butter and minced garlic.  Cook until opaque and put on top of the pilaf with the pan juices/butter.

missed out on TJ's yesterday due to messing up Gracie's appointment.  Will need to miss it next week because that's when her actual appointment really is.  I hope I don't miss the nice chokes this year...

ETA:  you can prepare individual plates instead of pouring all the pan juices into the pilaf so you can maintain control of your calories.  That's what I do, now, instead of mixing up front, I measure each part of the dish and combine in people's plates.  No one knows the difference; I don't call attention.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Yes, tt, people were indeed riding scooters all over. Not mopeds but scooters. But it is not something we would attempt. Lots of blind corners and very narrow roads. The captain even warned against it - unless you knew how to handle a motor bike. They had some very serious accidents. But of course there are always dare devils.
    Kar, no shrimps - they are vegetarians. I love those large frozen shrimps too, and use them frequently. The shrimps you buy at the fish monger have all been frozen at some point anyway. The exception is the Gulf shrimps, we get in TX. They are fresh from the ocean - never frozen. Oh my, what a difference in taste.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I've been thrilled with the firm organic sprouted tofu from TJs.  You could do a mock garlic butter "shrimp" with that.  YUM!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Looks so pretty out, but alas, still freezing!  Must walk Gracie, anyway, though, because I didn't go yesterday, and she had so much pent up energy last night...

didn't start the stove...was hoping it would get warmer from the sun, but only got 2 degrees out of it.  May have to give in before bedtime or we'll freeze.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Back in and was going to push the thermostat up, but see the temp is 68, so I guess I can live with that - poking around for a recipe to make anyway, and the oven will warm things up.  Debating between blondies and regular gooey brownies.  The chocolate will probably win.  Stopped by the library and took out a book that had an interesting choc chip cookie recipe - that's what got me started.  Still think it will end up being chocolate that wins out tho.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Only 64 in here, but the wood stove is so clean, scrubbed for the warm weather...hate to dirty it.

chocolate, please - I'll be over in a couple of hours... ;)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Brownies are in the oven.  Son just sent me a pic of a family of baby ducklings swimming around his boat (He's out on a pond fishing), and then one up in his boat - complete with sound.  So cute.  He's been out there a long time - was putting boat down the ramp into the water when I talked with him around 9:30 this morning.  That's his relaxation.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

In response to Winter2011Bride's comment:

. Is there a lot to do in Bermuda though I think the pool and the beach will keep him entertained. 

Have a good night everyone.

We and daughter enjoyed the Aquarium/Musuem/Zoo.  Bermuda is not one of those places that is really child oriented.  She was bored a lot but she also was younger.  But if you are cruising, then two good places are all you need.  We were there for 5 days.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I figure 4:00 is a good time to check in on SS, and just got through talking with her.  She had dr.'s appt. today and will see him again in  2 weeks.  He changed her pain meds to something stronger.  She was telling me when she fell, it scared her little 3 yrs. old grandson, his face got white as a sheet.  He was standing there and kept saying to her, "You'll be alright.  You'll be alright.", as she said, that's probably what they say to him when he hurts  himself.  His mother told SS today that yesterday he was telling everyone how brave his Nana was, that she didn't even cry.  Kids are so cute, aren't they?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Omg, adorable!  Poor SS, needing stronger meds, but I can only imagine he should have started her off on what she has now - how painful does something have to be to get real help?  Anyway, at least she has what she needs, now, and hopefully she'll sleep more comfortably at least.  Thanks for the update, tt.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Actually she said she slept all night last night - sitting upright on the couch, but nevertheless, was able to sleep.  And so far, the meds haven't affected her appetite.  She said it's like Christmas, one dau sent her chocolate dipped strawberries, another brought her a housecoat.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Well, at least it's not a completely terrible experience. :)

Sections
Shortcuts