May 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Re: May 2013

So glad the family is rallying around for SS!  And glad she has pain meds now, hope they help.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Just googling around various sites this morning - thinking of what to make for supper.  I have a half of cabbage in the crisper and was just going to boil it up, but came across a recipe for cabbage, kielbasa (I have hot dogs and will substitute those), onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, bacon, stir fried either with potatoes or served over noodles.  With a dollop of sour cream on top, sounds delicious to me, and one I can keep to use for G.T. as long as I use turkey kielbasa.  Always looking for quick lunch put togethers for when they drop in, so sick of chicken.

Now that I have that problem solved, will put the coffee on and get a few things done before it's time to leave for the dentist.  Have a good day.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

I make that with our cabbages, tt, very often - can't wait until we have them.  They are still babies in the greenhouse right now all tucked in with the incubator, I mean heater, on. ;)

Coffee is in order here, too.  It's 61, but we are seeing if the house warms up from the sun before I light the stove.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

My oil burner was on when I got up this morning and it felt so good to stand over the floor register!  That's the biggest thing I probably would miss of this house itself if I ever moved.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. Glad ss has some family checking in on her. Her GS sounds so cute. tt, your dinner tonight sounds good. We are having spaghetti and meatballs, I'll be late for dinner as I have a doctor's appointment. We took our last measurements of the pea plants on Monday. I took a picture this morning, I'll get that up on shutterfly so I can post a bit later. The Organic plant ended up being 1 centimeter taller then the regular, however, the regular plant looks more lush and healthy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

So, which will be declared the winning plant?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I think a centimeter is within the natural tolerance of the seeds, probably not attributable to the soil difference.  I'd go with the lush, healthier looking one as the winner if it were my experiment. That time flew by!  I'm just glad they GREW and he has something to write about and present!  Looking forward to the photos.  GL tonight.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Got the stove going after I realized I wasn't showered and dressed yet simply because it's too cold in here!  It's scorching hot, and the house is up to 62.  Hoping for at least 66 by 10:30 when I'm due to have company for tea.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Well he's very insistent that the Organic plant won!!! But I did tell him that he has to mention the other facts that the other plant is lush and healty looking. Of course by next Tuesday who knows what they look like.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

By next Tuesday you may have little pea flowers - - on one or both - -

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Sounds like the "pea-project" was successful. Like Kar, I would go w/ the lushness instead of the height. One centimeter is not much in plant-speak. I am surprised, the peas didn't do better in the organic soil. I hope you will plant them outside, so you can harvest (however little) some peas.
    tt, your cabbage dinner sounds great. I make it often w/ Chicken Kielbasa. Try to throw in some Caraway Seeds. Gives a nice Scandinavian touch. I never add potatoes and serve it as is with toasted rye bread. DH loves it. You can leave the bacon out too, if you are worried about it's fat content. I use olive oil instead.
    Kar, it is really cold this morning. Can't imagine, what your house will be like w/o heat.  We set the thermostat to 66 - just in case - and our burner turned on in the middle of the night.
    I worked late last night, so we went to Sarpino's pizza for dinner. BIL is Prince Pizza fan and wants to go there, whenever they come here. But we changed his mind last night. He loved Sarpino's. DH has to go to a hearing tonight. Won't be home until late. So tonight they are having dinner at SIL's. Gives me a free evening. 3 days down and 5 more to go.
    My thought are still with you, ss. Hope there is some improvements, so you have less pain and can get a good night's sleep in your bed.
    Ready to go to the office. You all have a good day.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Are you still able to find chicken kielbasa, Pingo?  If so, please tell me where.  S&S doesn't carry it any more.  I have asked and they say they can't get it.  I much prefer the chicken over the turkey.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I know, tt, they are hard to find. We much prefer them to the turkey ones too. When I do see them, I grab a couple, cut them in half (plenty for the two of us) and freeze them. They freeze well.
    Found Rhubarbs yesterday at S&S. Pick up 3 pounds. Cut them in pieces and froze 2/3. They rest will go into my Strawberry/Rhubarb compote this weekend. Yummy!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Ours was delicious.  Made a lot of its own juices too.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, if you like the taste of cardamom, add some the next time you make it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If he had three plants in each soil he'd see that they'd all be different heights (probably w/in a cm of each other), but all the non-organic soil ones would be lusher and greener.  Not a shocking result at all to me; that's why non-organic farming got started in the first place.

The stove got it up to a comfy 68 in here, and I was able to shower, dress, and entertain in comfort.  Good call to light it!

pizza sounds good.  I thought you liked to go to Santarpios, Pingo, maybe I have misread it all this time!

ETA:  Winter, does DS understand that disproving his hypothesis is just as much a win as proving it would have been?  Maybe he's insisting that the cm means it did better because that was his original hypothesis and he thinks he might get a lower grade for having had his hypothesis disproven.  What he needs to consider is that if he obviously chooses the plant that didn't fare as well just to "prove" his hypothesis it won't look good to the teacher from a Scientific Method perspective.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Kar, I explained it to him. Once he writes everything up I will discuss it with him agian. Sadly, he's 12 and I can't make him write anything. DH and I both think that maybe he should say neither grew any faster, one was higher but the other was healthier looking. That is a compromise I think he will like. We will see on Saturday.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

None of us likes to have our hypotheses disproven - I understand!  Maybe if you explain that he can get a lower grade for asserting that the result isn't what it actually turned out to be might persuade him to adhere more strictly to the Scientific Method in the Results portion.  Let him know the teacher will definitely see through it and might (and should) dock him grade wise for not being honest about how the results really seem to have played out.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Does the plant measure more horizontally?  I would just keep the report factual without expressing an opinion.

Afterall, saying something looks healthier is subjective vs objective.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Drawing a conclusion is part of the science project deal, part of the Scientific Method. He just cannot leave that whole section blank and it requires by definition subjective interpretation of the results.  Science and math classes/projects were all I ever cared about in school, and the expectations therefore are burned into my brain.  It would be easier if he could simply report the data, but he must finish it by saying, "...and that means..." to complete the project as per the instructions.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Yes, but he could state the facts, in example, leaves are dark green and large and measure blah blah or the leaves are pale green and small and measure blah blah.

To say something "appears healthier" is an opinion not a fact. imo Undecided

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, it's an opinion.  That's what I'm trying to tell you is a necessary part of the science project.  You must express an opinion based on the facts/measured results of the experiment.  There's a whole section called "Conclusions" and it has to be the presenter's opinion that is based on what's in the "Results" section.  He can't leave that whole opinion section blank.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pouring here...so much for our walk.  I've got cramps to beat the band, anyway, though, so I can't pretend I'm disappointed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

OH, of course I meant Santarpio's, Kar. Have no idea from where I got that other name.

Scientific facts are not facts until multiple experiments have been done, and they all give the same result. Then and only then one can draw a conclusion.
    The pea-project is a junior high school project. I don't believe the teacher is looking for scientific facts.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

We stated that we would measure the height of the plant, we did that. All three seeds did in fact grow.

Kar, I'm giong to try that, but if it doesn't want to do it that's his choice. Last year he got a 89 and I think this is a better project.

Sections
Shortcuts