May 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: May 2013

Good morning!

tt, that's great it worked out to have a fun lunch out after your moved up appointment.  Gorgeous day to be out and about albeit not too warm yet.

I joined a gym yesterday to start lifting weights.  Not looking to lose any more weight, but I want to protect my bones and be as strong as I can be moving forward.  They open at 9, and I'm going this morning!  

So, here I go...right after my coffee.

TGIF, everyone!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. DS' team won last night, first game they have won, so hopefully it will give them a boost. The team has been a bit down. tt, what a nice day to be out and about. I wanted to go to Brimfield this weekend, but with soccer tomorrow and work on getting the Science Fair project down that's not going to happen.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just got an email from G.T. that they're going to Brimfield this week-end.  There was a time when I was younger and in better walking shape, that they used to pick me up for the week-end, and we would do Brimfield.  So much to see.  You really have to know the value of things if you are going to buy there, but I always relied on the boys to tell me if I was getting the "real thing" at a good price.

Glad your son's team won last night.  I know about frustration with the kids.  The traveling team my GS is on has a couple of times been pitted against older kids because the equivalent age/grade group was not available.  I don't believe in that, they lost by a ridiculous score.  I think his father is beginning to rethink his decision, as are some of the other parents.

Good luck on finishing up the pea growing project.  Any little flowers yet?

Got to finish my prettying up and get a move on.  Enjoy your day.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Congrats to DS's team, Winter!

tt, I'd be furious if my younger kid's team was set up for an assured slaughter by older kids - how discouraging and unfair.

I'm going tomorrow, thanks for the reminder - I need to connect with my Brimfield buddy, a dear friend from my old work who just retired.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

No flowers on the plants yet. He plays on the U12 team, so he's one of the older ones, but he has 5th graders on his team who are 11. He has to move up to the U14 team in September.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    tt, you will be a fantastic tour guide. Will look into some of the things you mentioned. Have never tried those ourselves before, and sometimes it is nice to see new waters (no pun intended). Good luck w/ your Dr.'s appointment. Why is it, I somehow hope, you are seeing an orthopedic? Have a nice lunch w/your cousin. Glad it worked out that way for you.
    What a day yesterday. So hot and windy at the same time. I stopped at Costco, and tt, you know that parking lot when windy. Could hardly push the cart up the lot. Some young chap came to my rescue (yes, there is still nice young people around). He even helped me load my car, and that was a blessing, as the wind kept closing my trunk lid. I must look like a real old lady, that needs help. LOL
    Got those beautiful large globe artichokes at TJ's. Will use them for lunch either tmw. or Sunday. My pressure cooker has a recipe for cooking them. 8 minutes instead of an hour.
    Only 3 more days to go. Things have been quite good, but of course "it is not over until the fat lady sings". Sore subjects have been avoided. Tonight we are going to SIL for dinner, and tmw. we are invited to some common friends'.
    After that beautiful warm day yesterday, it is hard to believe, it has cooled down so much. We had all the bedroom windows open last night and a small fan going. Had to get up in the middle of the night to turn off the fan and close some of the windows.
    On my way to the office for some necessary items to do. You all have a good day. Chat later.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Congrats to DS's team winning, Winter. When my boys were young and participated in all kind of sports, the age difference was a big problem. I can't believe, they haven't fixed that yet. There is a lot of difference in strength and maturity btw. an eleven year old and a 13 year old. Hopefully this win will give them a boost. Good luck to them.
    Any new pictures of the pea-project to show us?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

The ages aren't the problem for my DS. He's on a U12 team, the teams are a good mix of 11/12 year olds. Just we are in a tough decision, the city teams are very very good in soccer. He came from a city team and we used to beat the suburbs, he's just not use to being on the other side..lol.

I'm sure I will have pictures on Monday of hte project. It looks like one of our organic sprouts has bent and died. Afraid to move it because it was the tallest one, can always say it broke on the move in to school Monday.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Why would you say that? It died, and that is the result from your experiment. Not enough nutrition for the "peas in the pod" - of course I meant the pot. Another argument, that organic soil is not a great source for growing vegetables.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

It didn't die, it was broken as we were trying to wrap it around the stick. So we killed (he) killed it by mistake.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

In response to Winter2011Bride's comment:

It didn't die, it was broken as we were trying to wrap it around the stick. So we killed (he) killed it by mistake.

So one conclusion he could put in his report is that he should have had a larger sample size (grown more plants in each soil) in order to make sure that he had data for his experiment.  That is an important thing for young scientists to learn.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Luckily he did have 3 in each plant that grew. But each pot had one that grew much taller then the rest. Actually he is only allowed to test for 4 weeks, so the experiment ran from April 15th - May 13th.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

The project is only in school for a day. It comes in Tuesday morning and we take him home at 7 pm.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Given each pot had one taller plant, height can be ruled out as impacted by the soil difference. He must go with lush = better growth or risk being docked for insisting irrationally that his hypothesis was correct.  It's just as good a result to disprove as to prove your hypothesis!  That's the whole point of doing an experiment - to prove OR disprove your guess you made before you got any data.  but, like Winter has said, she can lead a horse to water, but...  Anyway, I always got good marks with them, but I HATED those projects; always felt like it was a colossal waste of time, but I suppose it really wasn't.  I obviously remember the lessons they taught!

went to the gym this morning and got great coaching. I am confident this year is going to be great in that respect.  Can't wait to see new definition.  In fact, I'm not telling DH yet and seeing if around August he notices. :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Unfortunately we measured for four weeks the height of the plant, which is what the teacher approved we have no data on how wide they were or how lush they were. He has to make a graph with all the measurements, etc. on it. I did these projects in High School not 6th grade. Think they should stay in high school.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Well, I guess he's safe grade wise if he was prohibited from taking anything but plant height into consideration so that's good.  I think the fewer science projects a kid is saddled with for his whole school life the better - one really intense one in high school would be plenty imo.

Just walked Gracie, and it is soooo gorgeous!  She's chilling out front waiting for DH, now, and I've got to put dinner on - lamb chops, baked potatoes, and kale.  my gym trainer said I'm probably still eating too little especially given I'm adding weight lifting so maybe I'll have two chops!

tt, how was lunch and kalooping?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just got in.  Spent 4 of my gift cards - at last!  One of the Macy's had to be 2 years  old!  Got a top in there I really like and used up 2, and then after lunch (at Century House, and yes, we split a baked alaska!) we went to T.J. Maxx and I bought a beautiful brightly woven summer bag with 2 more.  Both purchases were more than I would have normally spent, but that's what gift cards are for - to buy something for yourself you normally wouldn't.

Headed back to my cousin's for a couple of games of Spite and Malice - boy, were we bad at it!  It's been a while since we've played.

Pingo, dr.'s appt. was with p.c., just a regular 4 month check up.   He said what I already knew, hip pain is bursitis.  For now I'll put up with it.  Meds that are available, I can't take.  Not ready for a possibly short term relief of cortisone shot yet.

Nice day to be out and about.  Seems as tho your visit from relatives is going along smoothly, Pingo.  Have they remarked about how beautiful your house looks?  lol

Time to change into some comfy clothes and make a nice tall glass of chocolate milk.  Even tho I brought half of the fried seafood plate home, not hungry at all yet.  Hope everyone has a good week-end.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

What a FUN day, tt!  Maybe the leftovers will make a great lunch tomorrow?

dinner was a huge hit, lamb was perfectly cooked - difficult (imo) because DH likes it medium well, and I like it medium.  Leftovers will be his lunch tomorrow while I'm at Brimfield.

won't be on tomorrow - will be kalooping at Brimfield with dear friend.  Have a great weekend, everyone!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I had fun with Zachary yesterday...his birthday...Honey and I watched him for 3 hours..and....Zack's Mom...is going back to school...I will be with Zachary on Wenesday afternoons in September...Did I tell you he is learning sign language...he has the sign for "more" down pat....such fun

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Racing around to get out of here on time but wanted to wish everyone a blessed day!

chat later :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Icer, doesn't seem possible Zach is a year old??  I remember after he was born that you said they were teaching him sign language.  Is that the sign for more - finger to his lips?  Great that you'll be able to have him one day a week.  Can you arrange your cake making around losing that day to work?  Wish I were younger to help with the care of our pumpkin.  He'd run circles around me tho, couldn't do it at this stage, not and be the fun GGM that I'd want.

Can't get into IE this morning, so once again, glad I also have Chrome.  Can't get at my email, but at least I have Chat.

Looks like you have a  beautiful day to head to Brimfield, Kargiver.  Temps will be comfortable too, not too hot for all that poking around.  We always thought we would go out and stay for the week-end and do one side of the street the first day, and the other side the next.  That never materialized, was more for me, I think, because the boys still go out and do it in one day.  G.T. says they won't buy anything, but I'll bet he comes home with some little treasure.  Hope you and your friend enjoy your day and perhaps find a hidden treasure tucked in on some table.

Nursing a sore hip last night and this morning after dr.'s manipulation to see my range of motion.  Once breakfast is over, will ice it a bit.  Don't imagine there'll be much traffic on the boards - week-ends tend to be slow, people busy with their families.  I will check in later tho.  Enjoy.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I'm drinking coffee outside; first time (because I got up very late!)  Yeah, summer is a-cumen in, lude sing cuckoo! Got only one meeting today but it's a long one!  Was invited to a party tomorrow but think I will refrain because I am tires it was a very busy week. 

TT sounds as if you had a fun day yesterday.  Was the baked alaska as delicious as you hoped it would be?

My lilies of the valley are beautiful and smell like heaven. I picked a few and each time I go into the living room I get a whiff.  I am so glad I planted new tulips, the red ones are past but the yello/orange/pink ones are still going strong.  As I drive all around I notice lots of beautiful lilacs.  Yesterday I took a little walk and could not resist sticking my nose into each bush I past.  Lilies and lilacs; too bad they don't last for months at a time!   

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Oh, Hats, I hope Winter isn't reading this, but the Baked Alaska I used to get came as a little mound, like an igloo, covered with the meringue.  When I ordered the baked alaska with two forks so we could share, it came as a generous slice, like pie.  We did get the strawberry sauce to drizzle over, and I know my cousin enjoyed it, and of course, I did too, just my memory of how it is served wasn't fulfilled.

Your talk of the lilies of the valley make me think once more, of Mothermitzi.  She and her father both have patches of them, much more prolific than those in my yard.  I can see the green leaves from  my kitchen window, and will take a walk up the back of the yard when I feel the feeder, to check mine out.  After reading how she would bring big bouquets of them in the house, I tried it, but mine aren't big enough flowers, and didn't last but a day or two after being picked. - - Mothermitzi, are you reading this?  We miss you, please check in.

There is so much to be done in here that I just seem to conveniently forget about each day.  Mundane things, paperwork to be shredded or filed, things to be sorted.  I think I need to make a checklist and cross things off as I accomplish them.  Next I'll be buying a little box of gold stars to give myself when I get things done!

Too bad you have a meeting on the week-end.  Everyone needs a couple of clear days to fill as they want.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Got time to sit down, after serving the family brunch. Home juiced juice (carrot/ginger/orange/strawberry), blueberry pancakes and Mexican scrambled eggs. Odd combination, I know, but that's what they wanted.
    DH took them out for some more shopping. Glad I have this day to myself. Had dinner at SIL's last night, and tonight we are going to common friends' for dinner. Too much going out at night for me. Looking forward to get our life normalized, after so much traveling and house guests. They are leaving Monday morning.

tt, I wish you had asked your pc for some PT. Ultrasound will get the blood flowing and help your bursitis. Of course you can still do it. No need to keep suffering.

I guess our plans for taking a ride tmw. got shot. It is going to be rainy, cold and breezy. Maybe the MFA will do. They have a Michael Angelo exhibition right now, that should be interesting. Some of his sketches for the Sistine Chapel among others. They also have a nice restaurant there, where we possibly could have lunch.

I also miss Mothermitzy, tt. She was such a fine lady, and I especially enjoyed her late night posts to wake up to the next morning. Wish she would check in w/ us and tell us, she is well. Have a great day everyone. Will check in a bit later.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Museum sounds like a great idea for tomorrow, Pingo.  A friend and I used to go in and include lunch there.  Was it strawberry soup or cucumber soup I used to start off with - not sure, it was many years ago.  You have been on such a merrygoround what with your cruise, house being pulled apart, and then company right on top of it.  Next week you'll have to take a deep breath and just, as you say, get back to your normal routine.  I'm sure your BIL and his wife have had a wonderful time.

Sections
Shortcuts