May 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

Re: May 2013

In response to kargiver's comment:

Non-organic growing soil has fertilizing chemicals to help the plants grow...like Miracle Grow.  USDA Organic fruits and vegetables cannot be grown using chemical fertilizer.

I agree that organic is far better - not in terms of nutrition (as has been pointed out ad nauseum in the media) but in terms of how polluted the soil gets and how much pesticide we really want to eat.  Also, GMO food like wheat really IS different in that, for instance, it has more gluten which is clearly causing a large part of the population real problems.  As is hormonally injected food - and we wonder why kids are going through puberty at 9...

ETA: I wasn't saying organic isnt better because it spoils faster (I'd rather eat an apple capable of oxidizing, personally), I'm pointing out that it makes perfect sense that Winter's son's project plants show the non-organic ones growing faster than the organic ones.

Great info  on organics here, Kar and CT--As for the hormones, and kids reaching puberty eraly, so true. And scary.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

In response to kargiver's comment:

Good morning,

CT, yes, it is scary, and telling people it's nutritionally the same (vitamins, fiber, etc) is throwing the general grocery consumong public off the real scent, but it is really all about the huge money that "traditional" (nice euphemism, huh) farming brings in.

tt, DH wanted pancakes last night for dinner so we, too, had leftover, heated up pancakes for breakfast.  Funny on the same day - we hardly ever have them!  Actually, I'm saving mine for a savory lunch with goat cheese and marmalade...yum......

speaking of yum, I did make the goodies I had said I was going to make for a week, lol, yesterday.  And, I used the Vitamix to powder the coconut sugar so was able to make real buttercream frosting for DH that won't cause his inflammation problem to act up.  I froze most of them.  Our wedding cake froze well (with buttercream) so I'm assuming it'll be ok.

pingo, I think of you every time I use the vita - love, love, love it.

winter, you must be psyched about the fence.  It's great we'll have nice weather for you to get it all cleaned up and looking perfect.

Was out playing this morning with Gracie, and we had to come in - the blackflies are out en masse.  Yuck!

Have a great day, everyone,

~kar

Kar--I think of YOU when I see the commercials for the Vita blender--I forgot Pingo recommended it to you. I need a good blnder, but mainly for crushing ice for summer drinks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

In response to Ihavemyhats' comment:

56! years, SS, is a great accomplishment, Congratulations!  I'd ask for ice cream for a week!  You deserve it.

Congratulations on 56 years, SS !   I cant seem to see where it says that, just Hats' congratulations to you.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

I'm sorry--worrying over how to respond to the older posts, so I think I will give up and start fresh. I do want to hear about Pingos cruise, though, and how all the mothers day plans went! Gardens started--plants popping--this is a great time of year. Lights were flickering here, and lots of thunder, but very little lightning or rain. Phone has been ringing like crazy, so not getting muh catching up accomplished. Have "sort of" plans to out with a gf tomorrow night- will see what happens. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good to have you back on the boards, Tulips.  Shutting computer off for the night, hoping I have connection tomorrow.  Comcast tech coming out in afternoon.  Chat then.  Goodnight.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Tulips, I am sorry to hear about your husband's passing.  I know he was ill but I am sure it was still a wrench to you and your family.  I know you took good care of him, I remember many posts where you said 'we are eating such and such because DH wants it"  or similar. Thanks for letting us know.

I hope we will see a lot more of you now.  Glad you have work to occupy you, but we would be glad to see you in the evenings.  Don't worry about catching up, just jump right in. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, tulips, we're so sorry for your loss, but comforted to know he was peaceful and not in pain.  He had the wife of wives ushering him to Glory making his time on earth a joy.  Grief does nutty things to us - allow yourself the process.  Hugs and prayers, kar

ETA:  I missed the posts after your first, tulips, before I posted this, sorry.  Of course, just jump in fresh, we don't mind or fault you for not catching up.  We're glad to have you back!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Oh, Tulips, I am so very sorry.  I am glad you have a good support system.  Just from reading your post over the years(s), your love for him was so evident.    Please know that we are here to support you in any way you need it!  We missed you.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Tulips, I am so very sorry for your loss. I know from your posts that you took great care of him and that you have a wonderful support system. Take it one day at a time, and we are here for you if you need us.

My son did not place in his project, honestly, I think many of the kids parents did these projects, sigh. But he was pleased with it and hopes he gets a better grade then he did last year. The dog urine project got second place, it was well done.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

In response to Winter2011Bride's comment:

Tulips, I am so very sorry for your loss. I know from your posts that you took great care of him and that you have a wonderful support system. Take it one day at a time, and we are here for you if you need us.

My son did not place in his project, honestly, I think many of the kids parents did these projects, sigh. But he was pleased with it and hopes he gets a better grade then he did last year. The dog urine project got second place, it was well done.

I judged a science fair once, asked the child 'what is the last sentence of this paragraph (it had been cut off) she said "I don't know, my Dad did it at work."  You are so right that the parents do the work, especially at the elementary/middle school level.  Believe me, your son learned more than they did.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Thanks hats. Next year the 7th graders get to make a volcano, explode and make do an essay on it, and they usually have a partner.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Winter, I'm sorry he didn't place, but he did learn how to interpret results objectively, and that's a huge, important lesson.  I hope the grade reflects the maturity with which he ultimately handled it.  Parents have always done many of the science projects...another reason I hated the whole experience.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Have been "in" and then "out" and now am "in" again.  Wondering now if it's something to do with connections to modem, lost connection again when I moved computer table out to do a good dusting in back of it.  Surge of power I tried after a few minutes, brought it back.  We'll soon see, 1-3 is the appointed time for tech.

Sorry, your son didn't place, Winter.  But he's had fun doing the project, and will continue to as the peas develop.  Probably most of the other projects are over now that they have been turned in and the grading has been done.

Put out celery tops last night in hopes of seeing the rabbit again, but they are still there this morning.  Perhaps he was just making the rounds of the neighborhood.  As I said yesterday, he was not the small variety I have seen other years.  Probably sizing up the yards for the one with the best clover.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

In his class there are many professors and doctorates. Three College science profesors. :(

Thanks Kar, he gets his grade tomorrow.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I hope his maturity and objectivity are rewarded with a good grade.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Such sad news to open the Chat to. So sorry, Tulip, to hear your DH passed away. From your posts, I know you loved him and took wonderful care of him. Glad you have your work and family support, to get you through this difficult time. Don't worry about past posts. Start all over. Glad to have you back.
    Sorry, Winter, DS didn't place. But he probably learned more and had more fun doing the project than those "professor-kids". And that is what is important. If it is a good teacher, he/she will notice parents' involvement, and take that into consideration when grading.
    How are you feeling this morning, Kar? Still under the weather? I can't believe it was so hot out your way yesterday. It was pretty cool here in the afternoon. Worcester area: 85 - Boston: 55 according to the weatherman last night.
    We had those large TJ's artichoke globes again last night. They delicious and only available a short time. This time I used the pressure cooker. 8 minutes - and they were done. What a time saver.
    If you like blueberries, run to S&S. I picked up a tray (18 oz, on sale) last night. They are the size of grapes, and oh, so wonderfully sweet. Best blueberries, I had in a very long time. DH and I finished off the entire tray already. Didn't even put them in a bowl, we just kept snacking on them all night. Need to get more tonight.
    Nothing exciting going on today. Have a great day everyone. Chat later.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, pingo.  Moved from constant runny nose to coughing...feeling better than I did when I first got up but not like doing much.  Still in pjs.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I am sure that onion juice of yours will work wonders. Stay in your PJ's and get as much rest as you can. Could you possibly get your walking friend to walk Gracie, so you don't have to?
    Bronchitis this time of the year is not easy to get rid of. And the pollen, doesn't make it any easier.
    Do we have a lot more pollen this year than usual? My black car becomes "green" from just parking in my office parking lot. When I get home, I give it a quick hose off. But it is futile.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Tulips - please add my condolences to those of the group.  My thoughts are with your family.

Too bad for DS, Winter.  I'm sure he'll get a good grade though.  He put in plenty of effort!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'm up and running.  What a gem I had for a tech.  Love the guy.  Got a new modem, a new connector down cellar, plus he also showed me how to get my email on Chrome instead of IE, and activated the caller ID on my TV screen.

Ran up to S&S Pingo, after reading your post and picked up a couple of the blueberries on sale, buy 1/get 1 free.  They look delicious.  Was yearning for a turkey/swiss/pickle/lettuce sandwich, so got the fixings for that for lunch.  Haven't connected with SS yet today, she said to let her call me when noone was coming in and out of her room.  She left a message when I was out, and said she would call later, so I'll leave it that way.

All that's left to do today is measure the length of the valances on my kitchen window, in hopes I can find something tomorrow.  May take along the measurements for bedroom curtains too.  You never know when you might come across just what you're looking for. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, am making syrup, now...should have done so yesterday.  Gracie can live without a walk today; my friend isn't home, but she would have.

tt, banner day!  So nice you got all that accomplished from the tech's visit.  GL finding what you need for curtains.

that reminds me of my own long, lost curtain project...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, I didn't dare to ask, how the "teapot project" was coming along. I guess, it now will have to wait for the long winter evenings, when we need to huddle inside. Hopefully, we will be able to post photos, by the time you are done. I would LOVE to see the final product.

Ruining up to Jo-Ann's tonight. DH is in a meeting and will be home late. DS and DIL bought home some wine bottle covers, when they visited Thailand. They look like the national Thai costumes. Very cute and unusual. I need some silky material and some gold ribbons in order to make them. Just a project, I have been putting on the back burner for a while, since I am not quite sure, how to go about it from a photo I took.

tt, I have quiet a few yo-yo's made. Will be enough for a table runner for DIL's birthday at the end of June. I am not sure if I should put them together in a pattern, or should I just "sprinkle" them around? They are different shades of green.

Time to pack up and go home. It is getting dark around here. Have a good evening everyone. Hope you are feeling better tomorrow, Kar.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I would suggest laying them out when you are done, and then rearranging them in something that is pleasing to the eye.  That's the way I've done my pillows/scarves in the past.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We can post photos, now, if we post to shutterfly, copy from there, then paste here.  So, if the curtains are ever done you'll see them.  Have fun with the costumes, Pingo.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just a brief update on SS.  She continues to improve, still waiting for the go ahead to go home, but she's making progress, and her spirits are good.

Sections
Shortcuts