May 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: May 2013

Now that they have her in there, SS is doing much better.   Of course, she is a favorite of the nurses, with her cheery outlook.  She confided to me about the doctor assigned to her care, "Oh, if only I were younger - - - -"

A little chill is in the air here now, Kargiver.  Just put a light coverup on, and brought in my chair.  Lasagna for supper here, and I took some frozen fresh strawberries out of the freezer and am eating sections of them as they thaw enough.  On list for shopping this week, mushrooms, eggplant, lean turkey breast cold cuts, a lean piece of salmon, asparagus for another strata or perhaps just in an omelet.  I get these healthy kicks every once in a while and it does no harm certainly, probably just a shock to my sugar laden system!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Sounds like a great shopping list to me, tt. Try this salad, if you wish. I made it for lunch for company, and they loved it. Cook some asparagus - just a couple of minutes, they should be crunchy. Layer them on a few lettuce leaves - I used the butter lettuce. Sprinkle with a bit of vinaigrette - whichever one you like - and top it off w/ a "smiling egg" (hard white, runny yolk). I used the spears, but the next time I make it, I will cut it in bite size pieces. Easier to maneuver.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Sounds good, Pingo.

Went out into the kitchen to close the window and stopped dead in my tracks, a couple of good size rabbits nibbling on the grass.  Bigger than what I have seen before in my yard.  Happy to have some back, they are probably living on the back lot where cuttings and tree limbs are thrown.  Now I'll have to investigate to see what they enjoy to eat.

Shutting down for the night.  Computer mysteriously straightened itself out after I threatened to call Comcast - no problem all day.  Hoping tomorrow when I turn it on I fall into the same cache and have a problemless day.  Hope to chat with you then.  Goodnight.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning, - I'm in!  In the computer, that is, it's faster than it has been in months - don't know what the mysterious solution was, but I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

Going out around 10:00 but will be back in time for Y&R, I hope, and available to chat then if anyone's on the boards.  Chatting, in between doing chores around the house.  Cousin is coming over Thursday, so looking at decorations etc. with a fresh eye to make things gleam.  And will put a call in to SS when I get back.  Have a feeling they are getting her ready to go back home in a day or two.

Good luck with your son's science project, Winter.  How did he decide to write his presentation of the project?  Any signs of pea blossoms yet?  I'm dying for you to actually get an edible pea.

Question for you, Pingo, have you ever used the asparagus stems that you snap off for anything but a soup?  I saved the last batch and froze them, and I'm wondering if I cook them longer, if they'd be edible in a strata, or would they still be too woody?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning. Science Fair project is at school and set up. I forgot to take a picture so I will do that tonight. This morning there were two different projects on mold, one on different amounts of soil and plant growth and one interesting one was how much Dog urine kills a plant. This boy had to collect it every day.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, just read your post. No pea flowers yet and another sprout (regular soil) got damaged on the ride. He wrote it up saying that the Organic soil one was in fact higher, but that the margin wasn't large enough so his his hypothesis was wrong. He also noted that the regular soil plant looked thicker, fuller and greener.

Sadly, we can't plant the peas in our yard (animals that will eat them) but we will try to keep them healthy so they will grow from the pot.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Wonder who thought up the dog urine one??  The boy or his father or older brother??  Sounds like something my older boys would have told the youngest to do.  That's one project I would have discouraged.  lol

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I wondered the same thing tt. But it was put together very well.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Winter, he did a great job with the Results - you must be so proud of him for his ultimate handling of it.  He learned a lot.  I had to collect urine from Graice once for a UTI...I hope they had to collect it from a male, lol; it would have been easier!

my having a cold, not allergies, was confirmed this morning when the full blown cold hit hard.  DH was quiet and got his own breakfast so I slept 'til 9.  I'm eating leftovers from SIL's dinner last Sunday.  Yummy lemon chicken.  Nt exactly breakfast fare, but I've never cared much about those rules. ;)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Happy Science Fair Day to DS, Winter.

Been very busy at work lately, but have been checking in on you ladies.  Sending get well vibes to SS.  Nothing like a hot doc to make you feel better, huh?  Good for her!

SIL's baby shower was this past weekend and was a great success.  She was thrilled.  Baby girl was in her glory with all the wrapping paper and tissue strewn about.  She and my nieces were "helping" open the gifts.  Good practice I suppose since her first bday is coming right around the corner.

Have a wonderful day everyone!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good to see you Novem.  On my way out the door, but of course had to take a quick peek before I left!

Did you end up making lollipops for the shower?  Your little one's birthday is coming up so soon?  Doesn't seem possible.

Yes, knowing SS, I'm sure she perks right up when the doc comes in the room, and that there's a little flirting going on there!  lol

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    I am sure ss will try to fake it, so she doesn't have to leave that handsome doc too soon - lol. Hope she is doing much better.
    Good luck with the project, Winter. I am sure DS will get a good grade. Dog urine? I would definitely have discouraged that. How does one collect urine from a dog? That itself is a science project.
    tt, those lovely asparagus ends you break off, is IMO not good for anything but soup. They are very thready, that's why you break them off. I collect and freeze mine too, when I get the thick asparagus. The thin ones are nothing but threads.
    Hope you will feel better, Kar, with some bed rest today. Too bad you are sick, while DH is off. But I am sure he must be puttering round in the yard anyway. Hope he gets some time to pamper you.
    Off to the office. Have a good one everyone. Chat later.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, Pingo - he's my knight. :)  

speaking of asparagus, we've picked record pounds and have eaten it all, lol, none was put in the freezer.  It's slowing down, now, dramatically...the season is about over.  For three weeks it's accompanied every meal in grand style.

have a good day at the office.  How do you like the renovations?  All done?  Smell gone?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'm back.  Sorry you're not feeling so hot, Kargiver.  One of the places I was this morning had someone hacking away.  I couldn't get out of there fast enough, and wash my hands before putting them anywhere near my face.  Bad time of year to pick up a cold.  They can linger on for weeks.

I thought the same about the asparagus stems, Pingo, but you do so many interesting things with bits and pieces, that I thought I'd check with you.  Since asparagus soup isn't my thing, I'll put the stems I had frozen, down the disposal.

Stopped by the library on my way home and picked up another book.  Now I'll  have to be forceful with myself and not sit and read this afternoon.  Much to be done around here.  If I'm home in the afternoon, I seem to let the hours get away from me.

Anyone with cats knows how they keep picking different places to nap.  One chair will be a favorite for a month or so, and then a closet, then a bed.  Yesterday I couldn't find her anywhere and figured she had stayed upstairs when I was up there gathering lighter weight clothes to bring down.  Stood at the foot of the stairs shaking her jar of treats, and she did come running, but not from upstairs.  Couldn't figure out where she had been, but then later in the afternoon when she has disappeared again, I found her asleep on one of the kitchen chairs that was pushed under the table.  When I came in today, I bent down and peeked, and that's where she was again - not even rousing to greet me.  The smell of the tuna I opened for my salad brought her out tho.  She's such a foodie, don't know where she gets that from!  lol

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

I know, tt.  It is going by so quickly.  No lollipops.  SIL's sis who was the official hostess picked cupcakes instead.

Didn't see earlier that you are under the weather, Kar.  Hope it subsides soon.

Since I have asparagus experts at my disposal - when grilling them do I put them on raw with some oil and salt, or should I steam them first and then finish on the grill?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

@tt,  It sounds like your cat may be due for a geriatric workup, excessive sleeping could be a sign of trouble.  Just because a cat is old doesn't mean it's okay for it to be lethargic.

When you take her in for her annual checkup, consider having some blood work done to r/o disorders.

Dental care is always a priority with older pets.  Best of luck, I'm sure your vet will advise you accordingly.

ETA: I commented because it seems like every time you mention the cat, she is sleeping? Maybe I missed some posts... Undecided

However, maybe someone else will benefit from the message.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

OMG

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

November,
    No need to cook your asparagus first. I brush mine w/ oil, then sprinkle w/ a bit of salt and pepper. TJ's has a very nice lemon/pepper grind, which goes well w/ the asparagus. Get the fattest asparagus you can get (the skinny ones are nothing more than peel) and grill them on a hot grill no more than 6 to 8 minutes. I also roast mine. Lay them out on a cookie sheet, brush w/ oil, season and roast in a 400 degree over for 8 - 10 minutes.
    Bon Appetite!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

LOL!!

In response to toytrumpet's comment:

OMG

Thanks Pingo. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Nov, I do mine like Pingo, essentially.  I do all the same but use the broiler 4 minutes, turn, 4 more minutes.  I like the little char.  It will be crisp/tender this way, some people think underdone (but I consider them wrong, lol).

thanks for the well wishes - I'm really struggling with a painful cough and tons of stuffiness. :(

must lie down to probably fall asleep during dr Phil

eta: salt after cooking, plus fresh lemon juice after cooking.  If you want to be fancy, when you turn them, add slivered almonds to toast.  Do not walk away - they burn fast

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Lost the phone and computer for a short time.  TV connection stayed on.  Makes me think the problems I had over the week-end and yesterday early on, were trouble with Comcast, not my computer.

When I called SS yesterday around this time she had company, so will wait another hour and try her then.  Hoping she will sound even better today.

Cheerio is sitting here, (awake), chuckling.  Went into a fit of laughter, rolled on the floor, and laughed so hard she got the hiccups, but she's fine now.  Sometimes certain posts tickle her.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thunder and dark skies here.

tt, have you run your computers "cleaner" lately?  Cleans out old temporary files (auto-generated) and such that can bog down your system.  Hopefully, it's nothihg on your end.  Save that found money. :)

good to know SS is improving daily

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to kargiver's comment:

Thunder and dark skies here.

tt, have you run your computers "cleaner" lately?  Cleans out old temporary files (auto-generated) and such that can bog down your system.  Hopefully, it's nothihg on your end.  Save that found money. :)

good to know SS is improving daily

Lost the computer and phone for an hour again at suppertime.  Again, TV stayed on.  I'm hoping it's just them working on the lines in this area.  Yes, I do clean out the temporary files and cookies - sometimes I think I delete some I should have left there!

Going to give SS a call now while phone is one (my cell is charging because I forget I have it and forget to charge it!)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

Hello old friends--I have come on several times, trying to catch up, and to  tell you my news, but I chicken out and give up. Now I am just jumping in.  I lost my DH a few weeks  ago. After several more hospital stays, since the holidays, it was just his time. He was comfortable, and DD and I were with him round the clock for his last days.  Our sons were in and out, and lots of friends were visiting. We are so blessed to  have such close family  and friends-I don't know what I would have done without them. OK--finally got it out. I  am back to work, so that helps fill the days--I was so lost the first week. Still have my moments where I tell myself I don't know what I am doing-I do some crazy things that make no sense.  Now I am going to make an effort to get back in--at least start with May, or mid april.  Look forward to being back on here!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Oh, Tulips, so sorry to hear your news.  We never know what's going on when we don't hear from one of our Chatters.  Always tend to think they're busy and just not on the boards.  I wish that was all it had been with you.  Glad you are at a point where you feel you can/want to be back chatting with us.  We're always here.

I was on the phone with SS and my phone cut out again.  Spent about 20 minutes on my cell phone (thank Gawd they got me that!) with Comcast and will have a tech come out tomorrow to check wires.  Tried to call her back now and of course a tech was in to draw blood.  She's is doing better tho, said they had her walking the corridors today.  That's a big improvement.

Am going to post this before the phone/computer cut out again.  Again, so sorry, for your loss, Tulips.  And, so glad that you felt comfortable enough with us to drop in again now.

Sections
Shortcuts