May 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Re: May 2013

No theme, but a color scheme. Yellow, fuschia and purple.  DD will be the theme - I'm going to hit up CTS for a ton of cheapo frames and have a bunch of our favorite pictures of her for centerpieces with balloons tied to them.  I figure it'll be a way for people to mingle form table to table to see all the different pics. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Nice!  How about a cute game to win the pic at your table?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Do you think people would want them?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Have a wowie cake (not cupcakes) in the oven.  Couldn't stand it any longer.  Choc chip cookies just weren't cutting it.  Need some rich dark chocolate (with a little squirt of whipped cream!)

Planning on sitting out back reading again, as soon as the cake comes out.  Don't want to waste this beautiful day by being in.  Ran A/C in car this morning and it seemed alright, not terribly cold, but cool at least.

Novem, I think anyone going to your pumpkin's party would love a picture of her.  They'll all be there because they love her.  Speaking of which, ran into my little pumpkin today, who gave me a big smile and some "digga digga digga" accompanied by hand motions.  Noone will be happier than me when he starts using real words.  Altho, this morning, I did hear something that began with an "H" sound.   So, I'm inclined to agree with his mother that he can talk when he wants to.

Nice picture of the new tractor, Kargiver.  Nice to be able to eat your own produce.

Buzzer's buzzing, you know where I'll be!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Novem, how cute. tt, I'll be over for a piece of wowie cake.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

My copy of Country Living came today and in it are featured chicken coops with a little scratching area enclosed with chicken wire.  Several models, one is even on wheels that  you can just wheel to another area to give them a new scratching plot.  I thought of you, Kargiver.  Any yen for a few chickens?  Looking at these pictures made me want some, not that I'll get any.  Don't know if they are still allowed here, when neighbors a couple of houses down first moved in many years ago, he had chickens for quite a few years.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Have a lovely evening everyone.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT I saw those photos too.  Almost made me want some chickens, which I know are allowed here, but, with the number of animals around here I figure it would be just an expensive way to feed the foxes....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Hats,

Have been reading through the journal I found - no new entry yet, there hasn't been anything interesting/exciting to write about this week-end.  I sure was busy 12 years ago.  Didn't realize how often I had friends for lunch or supper, or went to their houses after a day of shopping.  Guess part of the slow down is when we all quite driving at night!  My youngest would be surprised to see how often he left his toddler with me for 2-3 hours while he took care of errands.  AND, my DIL would be horrified to see how I used to let him play out back with his trucks in the dirt!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello everyone,
    Just wanted you all to know, I have not forgotten you today. How can one forget old friends?
    Had a really busy day. Called doc as soon as I got up. He wanted to see me. Got there at 10:30. Then the day went with doc visit, blood work and x-rays. More seeing the doc - and you know how it goes. Busy running around. Fortunately my lungs are still clear, but he didn't like the way my cough sounded. So Late afternoon I picked up a prescription for some antibiotics from Costco. OH my, with my experience I could have told him that this morning, "Just scribe me something and I will be fine." Especially since he knows, how I am against taking any meds. He agrees w/ me, but these days with malpractice suits and all, doc are careful to follow the books. Such a waste of time and money.

November, I think Kar's suggestion is such a great one. If I was invited (hint, hint) I would love to have one of those pictures.

tt, please save a piece of your Wovie Cake for me. Haven't made it is quite a while. Now I have such a craving for it  (wonder why), and i don't even like chocolate that much. I think it must the whipped cream.

Kargiver, I just LOVE tt's suggestion of you keeping a chicken coop. Have DH ever thought of it? You keep bees. Now imagine to go and collect your very own eggs? You have the room for it, and we would have another of your ventures to follow. The Pioneer Woman in our circles. Go for it pal.

Don't think anyone will be on tonight. Chat tomorrow. Nighty night.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ugh, you've touched on a sore Kargiver household subject, my friends, chickens!  DH wants them.  I don't.  LOL, let's just leave it at that! ;)  Oh, and we don't actually KEEP bees, we REPLACE bees every year, sadly, but neither of us mentioned it this April when we were supposed to order another 3 lbs of them to die in our care.  I think DH has resigned to let the neighbor's bees do the work on our farm.  LOL, life is funny.

Nov, like tt said, everyone at the party is there because they love her and would enjoy a pic - I know I would.

I, too, have had a busy day.  Unfortunately, not cleaning the woodwork as planned (loosely, hahaha).  I made a hair appointment for 12:30 in Worcester and took two pairs of pants to the tailor to be shortened.  And, had lunch at El Basha's on Park Ave.  Not bad, not great.  I asked if they had any sparkling wine, and instead of asking if I minded that it was WARM, they served it to me with a water glass full of ice.  Um, really?  And, the kebbeh balls (lamb/beef, fried) were warm,, not hot, and there were only a couple of other patrons.  Oh, well, it was OK and I had a good time, my hair came out great, and it was a lovely day to walk (the tailor, lunch, and salon was all within walking distance).

Came home and walked Gracie and saw just about everyone on our street, I think.  It was quite a social event!

Furminated Gracie and then had to vacuum.  She doesn't like it so it's been too long - you should have seen the pile of fur.

tt, you must really have kept your journal a long time - have you thought about starting up, again?

I could go for some dark chocolate something ooey gooey, but we're in our summer mode around here, and DH doesn't even want his regular baked goods.  I'll have to digga digga into my stash of Trader Joe's chocolate.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Kargiver, I'm waiting for something exciting/interesting to start up my journal again!  May have a long wait.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

No one has exciting stuff going on every day (or, at least that's what I tell myself, ha ha ha), but just keep the journal there for events you'd like to remember.  You just had a nice lunch with your cousin, didn't you?  Pumpkin's "digga digga digga" would be fun to look back on...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

True, the stuff journals are made of.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In response to toytrumpet's comment:

True, the stuff journals are made of.

Exactly!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Kar, until you want chickens, don't get them, as you would do most of the work, given your husband's work hours and the fact that you're home.  And you MUST be home in the early evening every freakin' day to lock them up in their chicken coop or the foxes and raccoons and skunks will get them!  they can't be let our of their enclosed chicken coop to cluck amongst the gardens as we romantically imagine, because the hawks, raccoons and foxes (and coyotes if you have those, too) will eat the poor chickens!  And, while everyone's gotta eat, you would vastly prefer it not be your chickens when you have to deal with the remains and the sadness.  My sister keeps chickens, and she does let them out in her yard (but they do major damage to the garden with their digging for bugs, so you wouldn't allow them on your vege gardens or you'd have nothing) but she has to SUPERVISE them constantly, and still often there is a mad rush to get under the big trees and she'll look up and see a hawk above her yard.  And they go into their coop at night but you have to lock them in so the animals won't get in and eat them.  When they sleep they go nearly comatose, so they have to be safe when sleeping.  but she gets lots of great eggs, she loves her chickens, and she is willing to do the work.  But it must be done by someone who wants to do the work.

Me? I'm so afraid of birds fluttering that I can't go into her enclosed pen because they'll kind of fly from here to there and I just can't do it.  At 48, I just can't do it - and her two kids just walk among them, catching them, holding them, etc.  (shudder) no thank you.  But they are pretty!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Exactly why I don't want them, CT.  DH knows it's in his best interest to let that dream go - life is compromise, and that's one of his.  It's one of those endeavors that's great for OTHER people to do imho.

ETA:  I wasn't going to get into all the many reasons I don't want chickens because I was being so lovingly encouraged to look into it and didn't want to offend, but since you did I might as well add that I predict the "let's own chickens" fad to be just that, a fad, after people find out the hard way that it's a royal pita.  Not to mention they get sick (hence commercial farms feed them antibiotics proactively), and what do you do with a bunch of sick chickens?  If you want chicks, you need a rooster, and they are mean and can literally peck the hens to death (as was happening at our neighbor's place).  And, the noise, my goodness - it sounds like a woman is being brutally attacked down the road every day.  It's a 24/7 job so goodbye lunches East, days with the triplets, etc.   I'd be a prisoner in my own home.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Great practical advice about chicken raising, CT, from one who's seen it first hand.  It would be easy to get caught up in the "romantic", as you say, aspect of being a country farmer.

Pingo, hope with your meds you're feeling better this morning.  One of the places I was yesterday morning was alive with a virus of some kind.  Hope I did a good enough job of staying from the person carrying it, and keeping my hands away from my face because of anything I might have touched.  Couldn't very well just pick up and leave.

Stay in day today unless it clears up.  Didn't write an entry last night, Kargiver, but may sit down today and do a "catch up" one, since the last entry was in 2006.

I'll check in and  hopefully find some chatter later on this rainy day.  Are you getting rain out there or something heavier, Kargiver?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

It's drizzling here and dark.  Warm, though.  

Good idea to write a catch up entry and then keep it on the table to jot down special things.

Indeed, I hope Pingo is beating the bronchitis.  I am still getting better, but the cough did go down into my chest.  It's going away, though, so still no meds other than Mucinex.  I'm betting it's viral since it started with a cold.  It's been about a week and a half, though, so I'm ready to be DONE.

Made a delicious shake with celery, avocado, and ginger in the vitamix this morning for breakfast.  Very filling.  Still feeling bloated after our heavy party food last weekend, and wanted something to get me back on track.

Maybe will hit S&S today - we are out of some staples.

ETA:  I'm not sure why people tend to romanticize having chickens; I'd be a prisoner in my own home for eggs!  I like eggs as much as anyone but not enough for that. ;)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I can't imagine being there and seeing a coyote get one on the chickens, either.  What an awful thing to have to take care of.

It's easy to get caught up in the romantic idea of farm animals.  When I was a teen, I used to visit a friend in N H whose livelihood was the the milk and eggs they sold.  Was always scared to death of the cows, but thought the cleaning, weighing and size sorting of the eggs at 5:00 each morning, standing in a cold shed with the radio playing, was just the greatest adventure - of course that was just for 2 weeks out of my summer, not every day out of hers.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. I'll stick to being a city girl who lives in the suburbs, thank yoiu very much! I can't imagine a rooster getting me up in the middle of the night, I'm such a light sleeper. I can picture Gracie barking at them throughout the day as well. Kar, I think your decision has been very well thought out and you were a dear to even think about it.

tt, hope you didn't catch the virus.

So DS has chosen the Boy Who Dared as his book.  Here is a summary, The Boy Who Dared is a 2008 novel by American children's author Susan Campbell Bartoletti. It is based upon the true story of Helmuth Hübener, the youngest person to be sentenced to death by the Nazis during World War II. The project (don't know what it entails yet) is due on June 12th.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Indeed - everything is romanticized about adulthood when you're little and it's not your daily job.  I was going to leave it at "thanks, but I don't want to," but CT opened the floodgate of my despising of the idea so I couldn't help but run with it, lol.  I couldn't want to do anything less than own chickens.

ETA:  winter, I have to laugh at the idea of my being a dear about it!  I burst into tears and told DH I would consider having chickens as essentially my house arrest.  

Holy cow, that's a heavy book.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I agree with Kargiver, that's such a heavy subject for a 12 year old.  I'm amazed that he picked that out.  Certainly won't be light reading, and I wonder how he will create a board about it.  A lot, in a short period of time.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

The book is a sixth grade book, the other one, the teacher told him was a fifth grade level and that he couldn't do it. Good news is the books has 30 less pages then the other. I'm not sure about the board either. Ok found it on the class homework site. Here are the particulars of the project...

The Book is now the Movieā€¦

Project Summary: Your job is to create a proposal and poster that will convince a major movie studio to turn your book report book into a movie!  The proposal will be a formal persuasive writing assignment.  The poster is a piece of creative advertising for the potential movie.

The Paper Requirements

Interesting beginning  15 points

3 reasons and I counterargument  60 points

Underline 5 complex sentences  25 points

The Poster Requirements

Check out movie posters and advertisements online, on television, or at the movies.  How do they persuade movie viewers to pay money to see a film?  Think about the persuasive techniques that we have learned in class.  You must have favorable reviews, the names of actors, and exciting visuals on your poster.  You will also need to give your movie a rating and give the audience reasons why it received such a rating.  Check out the rubric on the back of this sheet for additional information.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

All books for older children and teens these days are terribly depressing, horror-filled, didactic and/or political allegories.  It is no wonder the world is in bad shape when children are taught that that's the way it is. 

TT, when you sit down to do your catch up, you might include a summary of how many babies, weddings, graduations, etc have taken place since your last entry?  Would be interesting to document how many changes in the family have taken place since then.