May 2014

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: May 2014

tt, had steak tips at British Beer Co and an elegant saison beer.  Will have to look up the name; I've already forgotten.  My beer aficionado friend (trips father) will want to know, too.  The tips were ok, but I had expected more sauce - the menu said BBQ sauce...barely there.  I think I'll get fish tacos next time, my tried and true favorite.

oh, yeah, tomorrow I'll be gone.  I enjoy the food and visit even if I don't find a treasure, but I will be on the hunt for a more perfect doily adornment just in case.

hats, sorry you are under the weather...hope you feel better soon.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

The Boards are dying,
    it's plain to see -
    So few are posting,
    I chat with me.

It once was hopping,
    notes every day -
    each one was adding,
    had something to say.

Now each morning
    I shuffle on in -
    click on the screen
    to see who's been -

posting their news,
    oh, just yesterday's there -
    no one chatting,
    no one to care.

I do like to chat,
    retired, I am -
    so time is my own,
    I can always pop in.

No fun with no comments,
    no day's stories told -
    to chat with myself
    is growing quite old.

So now for a bit,
    I'll be off of the boards
    I've done this before
    stop saying, "Oh Lawd".

I'll gather my wits
    my humor, my cat -
    no doubt she and I
    will be back after that.

So rest up, write down,
    what you're doing of late -
    then I'll know you at least
    have taken the bait.

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,

What a sad poem to open up to, tt. No, you can't be off the boards. Please rethink your decision.

Now, that I had a chance to get through two weeks of posts, I find myself more acclimated on the Chat. I did try to post from UK, but it became such a pain to get in (something about a wi-fi code), that I finally decided to let it go.

So sorry to learn about your relative's/friend's cancer diagnosis, Hats. No wonder you have sleepless nights. I am sending my prayers your way.

Happy you are pleased with the doily, Kar. When one puts a lot of work into something like that, it s great when it comes out well. What a special gift. Hope you find an antic vase to go with it. When is the wedding?

Winter, the GE stove you posted looks great. You will love the convection oven.

My trip was such a success. I had the best time ever. Europe was wonderful in all it's Spring mode. DS had planed so many things for me to do and see. One of the highlights in Birmingham, was a visit to his university. They have a wonderful Edwardian botanic garden. 7 acres of beautifully designed garden. It used to be a private estate, now donated to the university and open to the public.

Our trip to Edinburgh was just amazing. We took the 4 hours train to get there. DS had splurged on 1st class tickets, and the service was just amazing. Again, our British friend had planned our 3 days there in details. We went to a lovely Thai dinner at a restaurant overlooking the Castle during sunset. And she had reserved a table for High Tea at the Scottish National Museum, which has a gorgeous view over Edinburgh. The museum itself was very interesting. I want to go back and spend some more time there. Lots of Viking influence.

But of course the best part was to spend time with DS no matter what we were doing. Both he and I are not much for eating out, so we spend a good deal of fun time cooking together at home sharing a bottle of wine. His apartment is amazing. 14th floor overlooking Birmingham. 5 minutes walk to the train station and the center of the city. And yes, we walked a lot - a LOT. I didn't think I could do it, but it got better day after day. Birmingham is a city with beautiful old architecture. And everything is so clean. People are friendly and helpful.

I am anxious to go back. But next time I want to bring DH. I missed him a lot. He on the other hand was a wonderful host in my absence. Big brother and wife are here now. Left for Toronto this morning coming back Friday. Then going back home Monday, so I only get to spend a few days with them, and believe me, that is plenty. Everything worked out well.

Oh, and I met our British friend's family. They live in Birmingham and invited us for dinner. All her 4 sisters were there too with their families. Such warm and wonderful people.

Good things always have an end, but the memories stay. Now back to the old grind.

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Pingo, that sounds like a wonderful trip!  To me who only knows Birmingham from its 19th c. reputation as a dirty industrial city, your description is a revelation. 

If you love gardens, Britain is the place to go, surely. I visited many lovely places there on a garden tour years ago.

As I'm sure you have noticed now, spring plants are lovely around here now. My new daffs are just coming into their glory as the old ones, more established, go by.  That one hot day decimated my early tulips, tho, and I must go out and deadhead.  And put the trash out. 

I wish I had some free time this weekend to go to the Arboretum.  The lilacs should be wonderful - in spite of their having decreed that Lilac Sunday will always be mother's day from now on, the third Sunday was the traditional date, and will be the day to go this year!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. Last night's function was wonderful. I left at 1:30 to get there for everyone's set-up and arrival. We have it again tonight, same location and food menu, but didn't guests. tt please don't leave, I enjoy hearing about your baking and your crafts. I like you joke by the way. Pingo, your trip sounds lovely. Glad you and DS spent some great quality time together and that you had such a wonderful time with his firend and her family. I've only been to the airport in England, but it's on my list of places to visit. I did visit Scotland once though. I'm thinking (to myself) right now a Eurpoean cruise for my 50th...so I have 8 years to wait. :) Hats, I hope you are feeling better today. Kar, have a nice day in Brimfield.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing

- Darth Vadar

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

hi all, not caught up but wanted to share my morning: DD2 got into the pantry and opened up a bag of flour (that had already been opened and was fastened closed with a small clip).  What a mess! Flour everywhere and she was covered.   Had to give her a bath before work and school. Didn't have time to clean up the mess in the kitchen but DH said he would try to clean it up because he is working from home today.  He's pretty good at cleaning but I think we will need to take everything out of the pantry and give it a wipe down. Maybe this weekend. We didn't have time (or the thought) to take pictures but I wish I did because I want proof this happened when I tell her about it when she is older.  It was such a mess but her face was priceless. DD1 was actually the one who discovered what had happened.  She kept saying "I didn't do it. I would never do that!!!" Usually she is the mischievous one but not this time. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Rama I know it's awful mess to clean, but I'm imaging the cute flour filled face. :) Your older DD I can picture saying that probably with a big smile on her face.

- Darth Vadar

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh, Rama, what a mess that must have been. Advice: Don't use the vac, before you sweep up the most of it first. I made that mistake once, when I dropped a bag of flour that broke and made an awful mess. Vacuuming made it worse. The flour came right back out and spread all over my pantry. And don't use water. Yuck! Too bad you didn't get  to snap a photo. Tha would indeed have been priceless.

Hats, I also thought of B-ham as dirty and industrial. But most of that is all gone. Wish I could post some photos. Maybe later, if that day ever comes.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Yes winter, DD1 took great delight in her sister's antics!!

tt just read you are leaving the boards, that's too bad, i will miss you!!  I am sorry i can't chat more often but I try to come on as often as i can.

pingo, your trip sounds amazing.  i went to london once on a quick vacation and i really loved it but DH has never been to england so we would like to go there. probably not for 5 years while the kids are young but we can dream...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I am sure tt will be back. She threatened once before, but her hiatus didn't last long. She is right thoiugh. The Chat is slow these days. I am sure the change of the Forum set up can take a big part of the blame. No one wants to keep trying and trying to get in, loosing posts etc. And when you finally do get on, you are so frustrated, that you have forgotten what you wanted to post in the first place.Wishing the old days back.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Oh, Rama!  What a beautiful mess!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I feel like Kar.  Did all the laundry and dishes, bought graduation gifts and cards, bought a beautiful new ceramic pot and planted it with dracena, lobelia, geranium, coleus and...some thing else, also made a planter out of a coffee can, painted and pierced with a nail for drainage, and an old candle holder and planted them, deadheaded my bulbs and cooked some turkey for tacos tonight!  Dropped off and picked up stuff at 4 locations - feeling so caught up!  I'm glad my cold went quickly - not even a week!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

God morning,

Glad your are feeling better, Hats. Sounds like you had a very busy day yesterday. And i know the feeling. When you get accomplished everything you wanted to accomplish, your heart feels light.

Me? I am still jet-lagging. Yesterday at the office was such a drag. So much to do, and my brain was mush. Did manage to do this weeks payroll - due tomorrow. Came home and meant to take a nap. However, I was out like a light and slept all the way through until this morning. Poor DH let me sleep and fended for himself last night. He got home very late anyway, and just had a cup of tea and a bowl of cereal (I am proud of him, not me).

This morning I feel so much better. I send him off with a large glass of fresh green juice and coffee to go.

DH bought several pots of gorgeous roses at Costco, while I was away (you have to take them while they are there). They are lightening up out deck right now, but we need to find permanent homes for them. So we will be busy doing some gardening this weekend. Plus I am having "the family" over Sunday. Big brother is leaving Monday morning.

Hope tt decides to post again. Have a good day everyone.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning. My second work event was last night and that was very successful as wel. I'm tired today though. Hats, wow you got a lot done yesterday. Pingo sounds like you have a lovely sleep. What's on the menu for Sunday? Your roses sound lovely, what color are they?

- Darth Vadar

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

It sounds like you are a successful event planner, Winter. Have you ever thought of starting your own business? Maybe on the side? There are a lot of money in that.

The roses are a bright red and low maintenance. We talked all winter of getting some more roses, like the ones we planted last year. So when DH saw them, he grabbed them.

Haven't put a menu together yet. It's the "difficult" part of the family, who has lots of self made restrictions. But I am thinking pasta with lots of greens. Then a large salad and baguettes. I will roast garlic heads for the ones, that eat garlic, to spread on the bread. Haven't decided on dessert either. Maybe just vanilla ice cream with marinated cut up fruit.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Taking my car to be serviced today in preparation for the next two weekends away.  This is such a busy time of year - all the end of school year stuff and the beginning of nice weather stuff coming together...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Two weekends away, Hats? Sounds like you are getting as busy as I was traveling. Are you going anywhere special?

I would love to go to Bar Harbor with DH for the Mem. Day weekend, but i am sure it is too late for booking anything. Maybe I will jut have to settle for lobsters on our own deck.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Camping, Pingo, pretty much sums it up!  The old sleeping bag is back in the stuff sack after last weekend and ready for its next outing.  Altho this weekend is a graduation, so it will be a little more high class.  At least I won't have to wait for 12 year olds to get up and make my breakfast!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Oh Pingo, I'd love to but sadly I don't have the means to do the business even on the side. I have to cut the plants this weekend. Hopefully it's a nice day Saturday to do it. I'm missing not even talking to DS. When he went away with fifth grade they were back on the Wednesday, so this is the longest I've gone without talking to him. He's been with his dad longer, but he's just a phone call away. They were not allowed to bring phones, since the teachers have phones in case an emergency arises. Friday can't come soon enough.

Hope you have a lovely time campling hats.

- Darth Vadar

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. I'm just so drained and tired. There is a migraine coming on sadly, I'm trying to stop it. What are everyone's weekend plans? I know hats is camping, I have a soccer game with DS tomorrow and then a communion for my Brother's step-daughter. My next class starts Monday.

- Darth Vadar

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,

Winter, I don't know, what you mean by "not having the means". You are the planner. Your clients will pay for the "means". If you set up a web-site (which I now know, you can expertly do), I think that is all you would have to do for clients to come running. Your head and expertise is your secret weapons. Go for it!
    I know, what you mean by missing talking to your son. I came back from England, and I can't even face-time or "hang out" with mine, as he went to Italy for a conference the day after I left. I miss him so.
    Hope your migraine wil be a mild one, and you will be feeling better for the weekend's activities.

Kargiver, where are you these days? Missing you.

I was not a happy camper last night. One of our employees used my car to go for a job somewhere. He came back after hours last night, and when DH and I went to pick up the car, he had left it in our parking lot with a flat tire. Couldn't he at least have let us know? So we called AAA, waiting over an hour for them to come. Now I am driving on a "donut", and have to spend the morning to have the tire fixed. That was not in my plans, as I have to pick up "big brother" from the airport and also get ready for the family get-together Sunday.

On top of that I just found out this morning, my BIL's wife has invited some of her friends for drinks and snacks tmw. afternoon. I will go to TJ's to pick up some ready made apps, but it still has to be done. Tmw. night, we are having an invitation for dinner with friends :). Bless them.

Hope tt and Cheerio are doing well. Missing them both.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

testing

- Eleanor Roosevelt

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Anyone know, how to change the font size permanently?
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I don't think you can change it permantely. That stinks that they left your car like that, hopefully your DH gives him an earful today. I don't have the money to set up the business, you really can't just make a website and go. I'd need a lawyer to draw up papers and I'd need liability insurance or venues would never even let me in the door.

- Darth Vadar

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Yea, you are right,. The start up does cost a penny. Just too bad. I think you would be an excellent party and wedding planner.

Took the car to have the tire fixed. Waited 1 and 1/2 hour, only to be told, I need a new tire. The old one had a huge gouge. The guys must have hit a pothole or a curb. He didn't have my tire in stock, so he ordered it to come on Monday. He told me not to drive the car, as the donut is not safe. He here I am. No car yesterday and today, and a weekend without one. No, I am not happy.

Winter you must have left for the weekend already. Was hoping to wish you a good one and that your migraine is gone.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

Sections
Shortcuts