May 2014

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Re: May 2014

I am well but exhausted.  Working a lot and preparing for a last camping trip. Yesterday was kind of a hellish day - a tree fell from our property and the nose was sticking out into the street.  (I think a truck hit it..no damage to anything but we had to deal with that now waiting for tree guys to cut up and remove.)   Not getting started as I should...must make another cup of coffee and put my nose to the grindstone.  Hoping June will be less busy.

Pingo, think you are wise to wait until you can be Princess's only visitors.  Winter congrats on DS being a CIT - counselor in training.  Does he swim?  If so, get him life guard training when he turns 15.  With that skill, kids can always find well-paying summer/school time/ jobs.

Best to you all.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

We have an in-ground pool so he does swim, however, there is no pool at his current camp. But I want him to he life guard certified. I was when I was a girl scout, but that was a long time ago. Stinks about your tree, I'm glad nothing was damaged.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing

- Darth Vadar

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Stinks about your tree Hats.  We had a tree fall a few years ago and break our fence.  That was a big pain too.  THey are pretty to look at though.

I was a lifeguard when I was in high school - it was a great summer job because it paid well and it was outside. Would be a great skill for your son to have and would be a great accomplishment for him because it's a hard program to pass.   However, as for being a lifeguard, I'm not sure it's the greatest job because it comes with such responsibility and potential for danger.  As a teenager, I don't think I ever really comprehended the magnitude of the responsibility I had while working as a life guard.  Of course I was diligent in watching over the kids in the pool and I was/am a strong swimmer and I was lucky that nothing bad ever happened.  But, thinking about it now, if there had been an incident that happened on my watch, I'm not sure that I would have been mature enough to deal with it appropriately even though I was "trained" for emergencies.  I think in general 15 year olds are still so young and immature and yet many programs have high school kids running the swimming program.  As a mom of young kids, I am so afraid of sending my kids to a camp with a pool for that reason.  Even if they know how to swim, kids can very easily get tired, cold etc. and drown in seconds.  Scary...

Off my soapbox

So nice out today and of course I'm stuck at work.  I am closely watching the weekend's weather.  We are thinking of having a yard sale and still not sure which day.  Lots of things to get rid of in advance of our move later this summer. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Where my daughter has worked (and was certified...) there's never just one on duty. At our town pool, there's at least 5, usually more, lifeguards present at all times.  Make sure any camp program is ACA certified.  I agree that kids shouldn't be going to 'camp' until the summer before grade 1 but we do need to make sure we don't hold them back unnecessarily.

In response to rama8677's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Stinks about your tree Hats.  We had a tree fall a few years ago and break our fence.  That was a big pain too.  THey are pretty to look at though.

I was a lifeguard when I was in high school - it was a great summer job because it paid well and it was outside. Would be a great skill for your son to have and would be a great accomplishment for him because it's a hard program to pass.   However, as for being a lifeguard, I'm not sure it's the greatest job because it comes with such responsibility and potential for danger.  As a teenager, I don't think I ever really comprehended the magnitude of the responsibility I had while working as a life guard.  Of course I was diligent in watching over the kids in the pool and I was/am a strong swimmer and I was lucky that nothing bad ever happened.  But, thinking about it now, if there had been an incident that happened on my watch, I'm not sure that I would have been mature enough to deal with it appropriately even though I was "trained" for emergencies.  I think in general 15 year olds are still so young and immature and yet many programs have high school kids running the swimming program.  As a mom of young kids, I am so afraid of sending my kids to a camp with a pool for that reason.  Even if they know how to swim, kids can very easily get tired, cold etc. and drown in seconds.  Scary...

Off my soapbox

So nice out today and of course I'm stuck at work.  I am closely watching the weekend's weather.  We are thinking of having a yard sale and still not sure which day.  Lots of things to get rid of in advance of our move later this summer. 

[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Sorry about your tree, Hats.  Did you get some firewood out of it? TG there were no damage. Our neighbor's tree fell on our house during one of this winter's snowstorms. It broke a couple of our windows, but considering the way it felt - leaning against the corner of our roof - it could have been much worse.

I am at the office, but it is slow going. Since I got back from UK, I can't find th enthusiasm to work. Hopefully I will be able to leave early.

Oh, have you had the new corn yet? They are the sweetest ever. Cheap too - 5 for $2.00 at S&S. Will pick some up again for dinner tonight. Now, what to serve with them? Hamburgers are out after the massive recall of ground beef a few days ago. Maybe grilled Kielbasa.
    Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Totally agree about not holding kids back unnecessarily Hats. In fact, my DD1 is going to a mini session/preview week at a big kids camp this summer.  I'm really excited for her, she's going to love it.  But I am definitely nervous about the swimming element.  This camp is ACA certified and I know that they have great staff ratios etc.  But the fact is that it just takes a few seconds for an accident to happen. I have to trust that the lifeguards are all amazing but I do think that any teenager, even the most responsible teenager on the planet, is too young (in terms of cognitive development) to truly know hope to cope with an emergency, even if they are trained.  Being a lifeguard is a serious job, and I definitely don't think I appreciated the seriousness of it when I was younger. 

My kids love corn, pingo.  I wlll have to pick some up tonight.  We've been grilling turkey burgers lately, filled with chopped veggies.  So delicious, although definitely need to make sure that they are well done. Luckily for me, DH does the grilling.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

My DS has been going to camp since the summer before Kindergarden. Mostly through a school, YMCA, or Boys and Girls Club. Rama your daughter will have a blast. I'll be heading out soon. Have a good night everyone.

- Darth Vadar

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I've been terribly delinquent keeping up and posting but am thinking of you nonetheless.  Keep intending to get caught up and end up getting a little more caught up with the chores instead.  Did tons of laundry yesterday with still no dryer (and got an electric bill that was $20 less than usual!).  So, spent a lot of the day shuffling clothes around on the drying rack, lawn furniture, and gate to the backyard.  Polished all the kitchen cabinets with Murphy's Oil and spiffed up the front of the house including cleaning the pollen drenched (brick red) front door.  Yesterday was away, Tuesday recovering from trip, Sunday and Monday on the trip...and here I am hurrying, again, to get ready for the day.  Trips' mom asked if I could come fish and help them get the house ready for sale.

So, here I am wishing you all well without having done much more than skimming!  Hope you'll forgive me and know I have you in my heart until I can properly catch up, again.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning. Sounds like you've been busy kar. Are the trips moving closer to you? That would be nice for you.

- Darth Vadar

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Kar, you have been one busy girl. No dryer? Even though I had a dryer, I used to dry my clothes outside. Loved the wonderful fresh smell. But I had to stop due to the pollen. Couldn't figure out, why our family was always sneezing and tearing eyed, until my PC asked if I hang out my clothes to dry.
    So the trips are moving? Like Winter, I hope they will move closer to you. With 4 growing children, any house can be easily become too small.
    How are the veggies doing? Did you get them all in the ground? Or are you still carrying them back and forth.

On my waty to work. Have a good day everyone.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Hi tt, I'm thinking about you and hope you and Cheerio are well.

- Darth Vadar

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Have a good night everyone.

- Darth Vadar

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ah, so tired, but what a great day.

Winter, they are an hour northwest of us right now and will probably end up farther away in the opposite direction. Selfishly, I'm not very happy about this!

Pingo, we're the only ones on my side of the family that can handle the pollen.  I love the smell, as well, and things dry faster in the sun and breeze.  I had to move the rack outside to do two loads of laundry.

i should walk Gracie, but I'm bushed.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I am glad allergies doesn't bother you. There is nothing better to go to bed in sheets dried outside in the sun and fresh air.

Funny, one thing I noticed while in UK. Everyone has an indoor drying rack. Their dryers, usually a washer/dryer combination, doesn't dry very well, and the weather is not dependable enough to dry anything outside.

Hats, where and how are you today? Getting ready for this weekend's camping? It is supposed to rain Saturday, but Sunday and Monday is suppose to be nice and hot.

Packing up and going home. Have a good evening everyone.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Well of course I will be coming home on Sunday!  Yes, frantically trying to get ready, working, and taking care of another medical emergency...that's 2, wonder what number 3 will be...could I count the wrenched knee on the last camping trip even tho it was not life-threatening?  And working lots of hours....Achilles, please come out of your tent....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sorry your family is dealing with another serious illness, hats.  Let's hope your knee counts for 3.

Pingp, I usually have the rack inside, too, but yesterday I hauled it out to be able to do two large loads of laundry yesterday...got behind.  The sun helped me out!

Trips mom uses a rack and a dryer...and it's always going.  As one can imagine, 3 two year olds and a 4 yo generate a lot of dishes and laundry!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I have 4 clotheslines set up in the basement so I can dry DH's shirts on hangers, etc, and I prefer to hang all of my clothes and delicates (non cotton lingerie) and use the dryer less.  Clothes do last longer if they are hung.

The dryers in England, Pingo, are 'spin dryers' and they just centrifuge the clothes to remove most of the water - they don't heat dry as ours do.

The new medical problem was acute, not chronic, and a trip to the ER and some heavy duty meds seem to have done the trick.  I am looking forward to Monday!  A day of no work and no GSing...

I hope you all have a nice Memorial Day Weekend.  Let the summer begin!  I'm reveling in my new plants and containers, and the smell of the lily of the valley and other people's lilacs.  My lilacs are the dwarf Korean variety, Miss Kim, and are June bloomers, not as pretty but they have great scent.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The dryer is more convenient for me, but $20 a month adds up, and it's nice to be able to extend the life of our clothes...another money saver, of course.

Good thins are under control, hats; sounds like a big scare, though.

they also use those spinners in Asia; I had the displeasure of having to rely on one in Korea where it is so humid you have to wear damp clothes after washing.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,

Sorry to learn about another medical emergency of yours, Hats. I would count in the "wretched knee" as the 3rd one. No more medical problems for you and your friends and relatives, please. Yes, Hats - that is exactly the way the dryers in UK were like. Clothes came out damp. And wrinkled as well.

I do use my dryer, but on the lowest setting, except for towels and bed sheet, which I do on the hottest setting. We like the way the dryer fluff them up. But I also have a drying rack on the wall, where I hang up DH shirts and my tops and lingeries. Hardly no reason to iron them, even though I do go over DH's shirts. It gives them the last spiffy look. Besides ironing is my pleasure.

Getting a few friends together here for drinks and some grilling on Sunday. Otherwise it will  be a quiet Mem. Day weekend for us. We did kind of plan to go to TX. But it didn't pan out, as they were having friends visiting. In a way that is good. Our little princess is sick. They had to take her to the Emergency with a high fever and diarrhea Wednesday night. They kept her overnight at the hospital, gave her pedialytes, and she is much better now. They think it is viral. She is still on mom's milk, so it couldn't have been food borne. They postponed the visit from their friends. And I am glad, we will not be there to add to their worries.

Thinking of going for a pedicure today, if I can get it in between several errands. Brought my summer sandal out of storage, and my toe nails could need some TLC. I don't color them during the winter months.

Have a good day. Chat later.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning. Kar, sorry the trips are moving further aweay. As someone with allergies the last thing I would ever need is too dry my chlothes outisde and I have a an old basement so that's not going to work. I do have a rack dryer for sweaters and things I don't want to stick in the dryer. The dryer really is $20 a month? That seems high for a tw0-person household.

- Darth Vadar

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Quiet Memorial Day for us, too.  Grilling and drinks with few friends sounds great.  Too bad your granddaughter got so sick; sounds awful.  Strange for a baby exclusively bf'ing...wonder how she got exposed to that.

I had to do my toes for the first time in months for the wedding - I wore peep toe heels.  I, too, give my nails a Winter rest.  GL getting the pedicure fit in.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

So sorry the Princess is sick. Are you going to go down in a few weeks?

- Darth Vadar

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Yea, viral? I  find that odd too, Kar. But it is an easy diagnosis to pin on anything, they can't explain. But the important thing is, that baby is getting better. High fever for new parents is a scary thing. DIL is very conscientious about cleaning and sterilizing the pump and the bottles. But the baby has just begun grasping and holding on to everything. And of course everything has to go in her mouth. Who knows, something could have been transferred that way.

We may go down so see her in a few weeks. We "spoke" with her yesterday on face-time, and she is definitely not well. Didn't like the way her eyes looked. They were glazed. And no laughing and giggling. :(
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Trader Joe’s And Target Recall Seven Tons Of Hummus Over Possible Listeria Contamination

http://www.inquisitr.com/1263450/trader-joes-target-hummus-recall/

I know some of you folks like to shop at Trader Joe's.   Not me!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Glad she's getting better, Pingo, and hoping she recovers the rest of the way really soon.