May 2014

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Re: May 2014

Gosh, I am sorry that Princess Pingo is still sick.    Hope it resolves before more medical intervention is needed - could it be an environmental allergic reaction I wonder?  sometimes they manifest with fever, rash. 

I guess I was more tired than I thought because I did not express myself clearly about the parties.  I went to one yesterday and am giving one this afternoon.  I already tidied up and put the outdoor umbrella, cushions, etc out, and went shopping.  DH mowed the lawn.  I made sangria except for the club soda addition and it is chilling.  Just have to finish the food, mostly chopping and heating a few things.  Am going to have the guests make their own pizzas on focciacia breads and grill or bake them (depending on the weather at the time)  so as to reduce my work....will saute onions and chop peppers, basil, etc. then provide mozzarella, ricotta, chopped tomato, olive oil. etc.  We are celebrating a couple of birthdays and graduations...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Hi everyone! I am off work on this Memorial Day and enjoying a brief quiet moment while DD2 naps and DD1 is playing quietly. A nice break in the day to reflect on our soldiers and give thanks for all of their efforts to keep our country safe. And a chance to catch up on the forums. 

I hope your GD is doing better Pingo. It's so scary when little ones are sick. I've found that when my kids are sick they tend to get sick very quickly and then rebound fairly quickly too. I'm sure you are dying to see her in person - she's at such a great age! 

Kar I love hearing about what you make for dinners for you and DH! My DH and I are both pretty adventurous eaters and order different foods and various preparations when we go out to eat. But because we live with two little girls who love pasta and chicken we tend to eat more bland foods in the hopes of having the four of us eat the same dinner. My DDs like broccoli, carrots, green beans, corn and peas. We don't tend to deviate too much from those core veggies bc it's a waste to buy them. We have a little garden that we grow blueberries and green grapes. The kids love it. We are moving this summer but maybe next year I'll start a garden.  

Not sure where we are moving. We are moving out of our house at end of this month. We have put in three offers to different houses but haven't had luck having our offers accepted. Tough market. We are going to live at my in laws in the meantime, which will be hard to lose our privacy, but we don't want to just move into a house to avoid living at our in laws. We want to really love it. Hopefully something will turn up. 

Hats I hope the camping weekend was fun and dry!

Pingo and Kar, I like posting when I have time. I agree nobody should feel pressure to post often or feel badly when they aren't caught up. It's just nice to have a community! I try to read posts every few days when I can. I always post if I have time. I miss the days when there were more posters contributing but it's also nice to have a smaller more intimate group. 

Off to pack a little!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good afternoon!

Pingo, hoping you get a text of good progress soon.  And, regarding the tempeh, of course, you know if you're eating the tempeh for the probiotics you can't get it too hot all the way through.  I fry it in a little butter on low for 2 min on each side.  Warm on the inside, nice texture and taste on the outside.  Beware, totally cold out of the package is terrible imho.  I, too, am fervent about adding probiotic foods to our diet.  Loving all that it does for us!

Rama, GL with the house.  My friends with the trips and 4 yo just put their house on, too.  Scary market.  I'd go nuts with just bland foods like chicken and pasta!  I would hate to cook two meals, too, tho, so what can ya do.  Maybe if you introduce one different thing a week and not force it they may become more adventurous without any power struggles.

Tonight, beets and another kitchen sink stir fry.  We're doing a purification (no meat, no diary other than the kefir, no alcohol, and no starch).  I miss it all, not least of all the wine as I chop veggies!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Good morming all.  I am still here and will continue to post when I can!

Pingo - so sorry to Princess isn't feeling well.  Very scary when they are so small.  Wishing her lots of healing thoughts.

We had a nice weekend.  Went to Strega Prime for dinner with a group of friends on Sunday.  It was very good.  Then I did the annual task of putting my winter clothes away in storage and brought out my summer clothes.  It's a chore I hate so much, but worth it in the end.  Took me all day.  DH was so nice to keep offereing to help, but I have a very specific system and I know he would know follow it, lol (separate work vs. casual, all by color, etc.). 

Back to work today!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Princess, I wish I were that organized with my clothes.  Part of my problem is that I hate to get rid of stuff even if they don't fit or are horribly styled...

Pingo, waiting to hear good news of the Princess Pingo.

My party went well, but now what I hoped would be an empty week has filled up with work.  I can't wait until school is over!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. I was unable to post on my iPad. I missed talking to you all. I'll catch up now so I know what's going on. Not much of an exciting weekend for me.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing

- Darth Vadar

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

OK got caught up. Pingo, so sorry Princess is still sick. Maybe it is an allergery, and they haven't discovered what yet. Hope you get news about her today. Sounds like everyone enjoyed their day off yesterday. Rama, good like on the move. Are you planning to stay in the same town you live now?

Icer, what a cute picture of Zach, he's getting big. Hats, sound like you had an enjoyable camping trip.

- Darth Vadar

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,

This holiday weekend went so fast. Didn't it? The next one is so far away. To me at least.

Rama, good luck with your house-buying. You have to be out at the end of this month? You mean end of May? How in the world are you going to do that with two little ones? And best of luck moving in with your in-laws. Hope everything works out for you.

Princess, can you come and help me organizing my clothes? I could use you here for a couple of days. I only have two categories. Winter clothes and summer clothes.

So I finally got a new refrigerator. It will be here Thursday. It is a Samsung. I don't know anything about that brand, but it had the highest rating on Consumer Reports along with LG. And it is "counter depth", which means is will fit in, where the old one is right now. This was the stalling point during our many months of shopping. it is a brand new model, Samsung just came out with, so it is kind of a bit of gamble for us. We usually buy the "tried and true".

Haven't heard from DS this morning re our princess. As of late last night, there was not much of a change. They were planning to take her back to their pediatrician this morning, if the temp has not come down. So now I am sitting on needles waiting for a call. I don't want to bother them. They had some rough nights. I am sure they will call with whatever news either way.

In the meantime, have a good day everyone.

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

indeed, the 3 day weekend went by far too fast.

Winter, was DS with you?  How is the new stove treating you?  Getting used to the gas?

Pingo, thinking of PP...eager to hear an update when you get one.

hats, how were the parties?

princess, I used to switche my clothes but always end up wishing I had a sweater handy so all the clothes stay put, lol.

have to go to the dump today and back to S&S to return/replace a bag of avocados I bought yesterday without really looking at - all rotten.  Ugh.  Will walk Gracie this afternoon.  Hoefully, it will be before the cool air moves in.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I always find that avocados are rotten these days.  I buy 'wholly guacamole' and use that instead.

Both parties were lovely.  Salad for a couple of lunches, now, to make up for the delicious food I made myself....I wish I could not cook.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Wholly Guac is excellent.  I find that the avocados at TJ's are good...never knew that wasn't the case everywhere.

Ah the dilemma of being a good cook. I am constantly at risk for overeating, lol.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Yes kar he was with us. He had some homework to do on Sunday and studied for a Social Studies test yesterday. I don't have my stove yet, I posted that we were going to wait since it's $450 to run the gas line to the kitchen area. I told DH that I'd like it before Thanksgiving that gives us some time and a deadline.

- Darth Vadar

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Thanks for the kind words about Mr. Zachary...He is a cutie. Yesterday, as we were waiting for the parade ...he was so adorable running around with his 2 flags...and flags on his socks...then we went to their house...so he could show us how he kicks a ball...he is very active and in no way a tv. kid

We just finished the outside and now...I am going to bleach the walls of Mom's new home..she wants to have a party this weekend...I really wish she wouldn't but what the hay? We can squeeze one more thing in...can't we?

I too am curious about Princess Pingo

Icer

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I hear you about Avocados.  The chicken taught the hen. Son, who lived in CA for 6 years, where avocados are abundant, taught me to buy the hardest ones, I could find, and keep them on the counter, until they are soft to touch. Then stick them in the refrigerator. They will keep that way. Not for an extended time, but at least for 3 - 4 days. DH and I eat 1/2 avocado each every day. If not in some kind of salad or dish, then we will just spoon out the flesh. I usual buy them at Costco or at TJ's. They come in a bag, and are the least expensive on the market.

Have to empty my non-working refrigerator, so it will be clear to haul away tomorrow. Both ref. and freezer have been cooling to about 45 degrees, so I have been storing produce and stuff in there, that was not too temp. sensitive.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, sorry I missed that, Winter.  Reminds me of when we first got married our stove wasn't hooked up; DH expected me to use his camping burner on the counter (like he had for 5 years).  I didn't get the actual stove hooked up until I gave him an ultimatum; no stove, no hot food.  Not that you're in to boat, lol, just made me think of it.  That's great DS was home for the long weekend.  Social Studies?  Is that part of the core for your main focus or something you're doing outside of that?

Bleach the walls, icer?  Sounds like quite a task.  Nice of you to make those sacrifices for your mom.  Zach looks far too happy to be confused with a TV kid, lol.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh, Icer, that is Zachary? How he has grown. Can't believe he is just turned two. So handsome. He will be a heartbreaker, when he grows up. Maybe, we should introduce Princess Pingo to him. What do you think?

Bleaching the walls of Mom's new home? Wasn't she supposed to move in with you? Maybe I missed something along the way.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Kar, sorry my DS studied dor a Social Studies test, not me. My current class is Photoshop. I have to look over a lesson tonight and I have the one hour chat session at 7 tonight.

- Darth Vadar

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ah, sorry, misread that.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

It's ok.

- Darth Vadar

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, when you try the tempeh, add a Tbl of dulse to season the tempeh and get the iodine and potassium.  Mixed with fermented soy, hot sauce, and ginger paste, it makes an excellent sauce (aka "cover up") for the tempeh! I don't use iodized salt so am thrilled to discover dulse - have you had it before?  It is like the nori seaweed wrap used for sushi.

Got super cold during the last shower - green house temp showing 44!!

See above for what was for dinner. :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

O heavens, dulse - my grandmother was from Nova Scotia and she loved that stuff.  Uck!  We all hated it.  They would pick it off the shore...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. So is it March or May?? Son's school had a reschduled Field Day from Friday. It's been cancelled now, doubt they will be able to have it since the 8th graders' last day of classes is Wednesday.

- Darth Vadar

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    I wondered that too, Winter. After a lovely weekend, the weather is showing it's temperament. Can't believe, we were partying outside Sunday until the sun went down. Too bad about DS's field trip. Where were they supposed to go? If an outside activity, I am with the teachers, who cancel it. Imagine trying to entertain a bunch of 8 graders in pouring rain?

Kar, I haven't tried dulse. How does one buy it? Do you sprinkle it like salt? It does sound healthier than salt. Was looking for temphe at WH yesterday. Couldn't find it. Do you buy it at TJ's? Does sound to me, it is your sauce, that makes it.

Eagerly waiting for a report from PP. She was a bit better last night. DS thinks the fever finally broke. But now she has Laryngitis from all the crying and "screaming". Imagine that? 3 months old w/ Laryngitis. Son told me last night,"Mom, now I can just imagine, how worried you and dad were, when we were sick."

I took a day off yesterday. I was still tired after the party, and I had to empty my old refrigerator. By the time that was done, I conveniently found it was too late to go to work. Instead I went for a walk at Market Street. It was brisk and cold. Nice to get out, but not very enjoyable. Stopped at WH, and picked up fish for dinner. Their fish is expensive compared to other places, but there is definitely a difference. For one thing, their fish doesn't shrink while cooking. And the taste is amazingly fresh.

Must go to work today. Have a good one.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, sounds like PP is moving in the right direction albeit slowly and with much discomfort, poor thing.  Yes, nothing like parenthood to gain empathy for your own parents' experience.  

Dulse is with the Asian foods where they sell nori and sushi rice in a resealable plastic bag, and I do use it like salt.  It has an oceany essence.  Tempeh is found next to the tofu in the produce section or with the soy cheese products.  I've bought mine at S&S, but I'm certain WF carries it. Yup, the sauce definitely makes it!

Good you took the day off; you've been going pell mell.

The weather was wild here last night with strong thunderstorms.  DH and I placed protective covered hoops over the tomatoes and eggplants so hopefully they are ok.  Same thing happened last year, and I begged DH to listen to his last year's self who said he'd never plant on Memorial Day weekend, again, but he ignored himself.  What can ya do?  LOL!! 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I have been having the hardest time posting...You won't believe the voo doo dance I have to do to post. Pardon my late replies

Glad to hear Princess Pingo is on the mend...it is nice when that moment of recognition comes to your children..."How did you make it through..x,y or z"

Yes...Mom is coming over to our house...I am bleaching the walls to recieve a new coat of paint...she is looking at different color samples...Mom likes her decorations..me...I am a bit of a plain Jane when it comes to the walls...I like white...and then you can use color in pillows ect...She like color everywhere...oh and silk flowers...and tulle..you get the picture

Well I am off...she wants to have a bash at her condo this weekend(I would have rather had one when she comes here) so there is much to do..now..lets see f I can post

Icer

Sections
Shortcuts