and we're less for their demise.

For thoughtfulness and kindness
    never will be obsolete -
    that extra little thought -
    that May Day morning treat.

Happy May Day 2010 from toytrumpet

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: May Chat 2010

Good morning tt and everyone else. Another superb poem from you. I have all your poems in a folder. Maybe I will publish them before you do. How lucky we are to have you here on the Chat.
    I have always been curious to where the "May Day" used for distress came from. Your poem brought up my curiosity again. So I googled it. Here is a bit of history:

The mayday call sign was originated in 1923 by Frederick Stanley Mockford[5] A senior radio officer at Croydon Airport in London, Mockford was asked to think of a word that would indicate distress and would easily be understood by all pilots and ground staff in an emergency. Since much of the traffic at the time was between Croydon and Le Bourget Airport in Paris, he proposed the word (1897–1962).mayday from the French word m’aider. The phrase "Venez m'aider" means "(you) come help me."[6]

So, this is the history lesson for the day, just in case you didn't know it.

Spent a good deal of my morning sitting on my deck in company of the birds. What a lovely day. Just had to drag myself in. I have my crockpot working on kidney beans. Had a craving for Boston Baked beans yesterday. I cook them on low for 9 - 10 hours instead of soaking them. Then they will be ready for whatever, I need them for. So, tomorrow I will make the BBB's and still have some left over to freeze for something else.
    Looks like it is going to be an "at home day". Have nothing scheduled. Suits me just fine. Maybe later this afternoon we will take a ride somewhere. Do anyone know if the clam shacks has opened yet? Saw a piece in the Globe with photos of all the lobster and clam shacks in NE. Made my mouth water.
    Just spoke with PB son. He is well and fine and packing for going to Alaska for a week for a conference.
    Hope you all are well. have a nice Saturday - Pingo

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks, Pingo for the kind words re the poem.  As far as them ever being published, you'll have to race several of my friends who are also keeping folders of them - I'm not worried - don't think anyone will get rich off of them.

While you've been wiling away the hours out on your deck today, I've been working my little fingers to the bone.  Cooked some chicken and then made a big bowl of chicken salad to have on hand for tomorrow, made a dish of Spanish Cream, and a double batch of brownies.  Had some Chirardelli bittersweet chocolate that I had only used a bit of for chocolate curls, and wanted to incorporate that, so doubled my usual recipe that uses unsweetened choc sqs., and used the equivalent of Chirardelli for the 2nd batch amount.  Just now cut and sampled them - I may keep this as my recipe from here on in.  Nice flavor.

I haven't had home made baked beans in years.  I'm not inspired to go to all the work to make them just for me.  But, there is such a difference in taste - I remember - loved them.  Also love spareribs on the bone.  Took myself out to Su Chang's for lunch Monday in the midst of errands and had their spare ribs. I think the night you were making them, I was eating their leftovers.  As for the Clam Box, I do think they are open, but you could google them to be sure.  Saw something about red tide on the news the other night, so don't know if that's a deterrent yet.  Apparently wasn't at Kittery yesterday.

Interesting about the origin of "May Day".  On the lighter side, I remember May Day poles, do you?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hi tt,
    As soon as I got off the computer earlier, there was a call from some of our veggie friends. They would come over. Fast thinking! What do I serve them? I had not expected anyone this weekend. I had a large Texas steak defrosting in the refrigerator for us tonight - not a great idea now.
    I had already started a to make ice cream. A recipe, I had been toying with in my mind for sometime. Just finished it and Mr. P thinks it is awesome. Ok dessert is done. Now, what for snacks. Fortunately I had a can of chick peas on my shelf and sesame seeds in the freezer. So, hummus was done in a flash and I picked up a large bag of some cracker/chips at Costco last week. They are made of rice flour and Adzuki beans and taste awesome.
    For dinner I made a spicy potato leek soup. All from scratch. Just have to serve it with a swirl of half and half on the top and sprinkle with parsley. I had some frozen pizza dough. It is sitting on my counter right now to "double". When ready I will make dinner rolls. Ok done.
    So you see, my "willing away" stopped abruptly.
    Oh yes tt, do I ever remember May Poles. It was a big day in my country. Everyone dressed in their folk dresses dancing around the May Pole. The way they were weaving the ribbons always amazed me - I never learned.
    Well happy May Day to you - gotta get going.
    - Pingo

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well done!  Love to read your quick fire meal creations.  Hope your friends know how lucky they are to be the recipients of what would be a gourmet meal in a restaurant.  Enjoy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Great poem, tt, as always.  Thank you for sharing, again, with us!  I was getting my hair trimmed yesterday, and the younger crowd didn't know what May Day is or anything about May baskets.  Very sad.  I remember making them in school.

My father, uncle, and Gracie all share May 1 birthdays!  She's a year old.  Can you believe it?  We got her at 8 weeks.

Wasn't around much yesterday - hope everyone had a wonderful summery day.  We'll be at the Christening today and thinking of our little Gracie in the yard.  Must get ready while DH has her out on her Sunday morning walk through the woods.

Have a blessed day, everyone!

~kar

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Water - Water - Water everywhere and not a drop to drink!  Ran up to S&S last night and grabbed (well, not literally because I couldn't even move it) the last water cooler size jug, that's all there was. One of the stockboys put it in my cart for me and I practically heaved and rolled it into my trunk.  When I got home the guy next door brought it in for me and then they gave me a 24 pack of Poland Spring - said she had bought 6 cases last week when it was on sale.  Glad I had made a double batch of brownies, because I sent my him home with a bagful.  I also picked up some mineral water, tho I'm not even sure what that is.  Will have to google it.  G.T. is not on the water ban, and they will stop in a local grocery and pick me up some on their way down today.  

Happy Birthday to Gracie, she's a big girl now.  Have a good time at the Christening, Kargiver.  Looking forward to the museum trip today. Hope everyone else has a good day.  Chat later.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Fabulous poem, TT.  May Day always makes me think of Louisa may Alcott's book, Jack and Jill, where flower picking, making and assembling baskets and hanging them on doors is well described.

As soon as I heard of the water ban I got three 24 bottle cases of bottled water.  I can brush my teeth in less than 2 ounces because I was in mexico for weeks last year and perfected my technique.....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good Sunday afternoon,
    tt, I thought you lucked out. Peabody was taken off the waterban as of last night. As you know, we had company yesterday and didn't learn about it until too late. As far as I can figure out, I had finished all the cooking before the break - so I was relieved. I know for sure - no one got sick from my culinary efforts.
    By the time we put on our taped news at 7:30 - we figured it was already too late shopping for water. So we went to our office and pick up a couple of the large water fountain jugs. We were going to set up a siphoning system (from our boys beer brewing equipment) - but truly, I think those jugs are going back.
    DH grew up boiling drinking water. None of us had hot running water so teeth brushing (Hats you made me smile. I am pretty good at brushing my teeth in 2 oz as well) and bathing was done with the good old kettle of hot water. I remember we had two huge kettles for just that. My mom would get up early morning to start them, so we all could have hot water in the morning. Mixing it with cold water was plenty for all 4 of us.
    We had no central heat either. Just a coal stove in one room. So at night she would heat up the kettles and place them in our beds to warm them up, and we would use the water for getting ready for bed.
    So, that is what I have been doing. Boiling water. I really don't feel it a big deal. We are much too pampered in this country. Washing dishes, I use the Sani Cycle in my dishwasher. Only thing I don't have in my house is Clorox. They say 1/4 teaspoon in a gal. of water would be a good disinfectant. Will go and get some.

Congratulations to Gracie on her first birthday. I hope you celebrated her with a large bone with a candle in it :) Please give her a birthday hug from Mrs. Pingo. It has been so wonderful to follow her through the past year, and Kar you have been a wonderful and GRACIous reporter - pun intended. LOL
    I am anxious to hear, how the "being alone home outside" went. You and DH must have been sitting on pins and needles. I still hope you could enjoy the Christening though.

Mr. P just took off to see a client somewhere near the Cape. I was up around 3. Young son was leaving for Alaska this morning. Had to catch a cab to the airport at 4:30 am. So, you know me - don't sleep well when "something" is going on. Of course I had to make sure, he was awake. So I am going to leave the computer alone, and go in for a well deserved nap. Chat later - Pingo

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Pond and path to Buddha

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Wow TT that is beautiful

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks, Icer.  To the right is a higher tier of ground and I have a white leopard sitting there overlooking the pond.  It's in the picture I took and printed here, but again, when the post comes up, the right side is cut off.  G.T. put down fresh black mulch on the path today, and after I had taken the picture and we were admiring the scene, we felt to the left of the gazing ball needed something.  Sure enough on a closet shelf, I found  the perfect thing - - - - - - drum roll - - - - - a brown ceramic rabbit!  Now it looks as tho he's just coming out from under the bushes.  My gardens and yard work are all compliments of G.T.  I can take no credit except maybe occasionally as "Director"!

Had a wonderful early Mother's Day.  We went to the Currier Museum in Manchester NH, mainly to see the Homer - Hooper water color exhibit.  We took in the whole museum tho, a real gem hidden on a side street.  A small museum in comparison to Boston's, but they have some Picasso's and Monet's among their treasures.  Got recommendations from the staff for some local places to go for lunch and again, another little gem, an Irish Pub on a side street.  G.T. had macaroni and cheese with lobster, I had beer batter fried fish and chips with a beer of course, and G.T.'s partner had a salad and some huge platter from the appetizer menu.  Our dessert waited at home, Spanish Cream or brownie (or both) each with whipped cream (well, Cool Whip).  They went home with the leftovers.  Blessings, blessings, blessings are bestowed on me with the two of them in my life.  They seem to enjoy my company, it's not just a duty, and Heaven knows I love both of them and their senses of humor.  Such a beautiful day today, hope everyone had a chance to enjoy it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh my, tt - this is absolutely beautiful. Looks like a lot of time and love has been put into this. How lucky one can be. Thanks for sharing with us. - Pingo

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Hello All! This is my first time posting anywhere. I have been reading this thread for a long while now,and have really enjoyed it. I feel like I know all of you by now. I just had to write in when i saw the picture of toytrumpets garden. how beautiful it is!! (please excuse the typos-I'm new at this) Hope everyone is enjoying this gorgeous weekend!   b.g.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, bg, welcome!

tt, gorgeous garden and nice job photgraphing and posting.  Keep 'em coming as the season progresses and things change!

Loved reading all the stories of the day and of days gone by. 

We just got home, much later than planned, but we were both having such a good time.  The Christening was truly special and "family" time just as much so.  And, to top things off she is a wondeful cook and made a lovely lemon curd filled cake with white chocolate frosting.  Devine.  Pun intended. :)

Thank you, Pingo, for the birthday wishes for Gracie and being so kind about all I've shared (i.e., droned on and on about!).  Yes, we were concerned about her all day, but she seemed to be totally fine when we got home, sitting as usual in her favorite spot on the front lawn.  She didn't eat much, but she usually doesn't, and when I gave her fresh water she didn't go too nuts over it so she must have been hydrating herself; she had plenty of water out there.  YAY!

Must sign off for now...so tired.  Great day, but ready to relax.

Have a wonderful evening, friends.  And, welcome, again, bg. :)

~kar

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thank you, bg, and welcome to Chat.  I'm always glad when someone says they have been waiting in the wings, so to speak, and finally decided to write in.  We're an interesting group, I think, we certainly cover a myriad of topics and ages.  Feel free to jump in with whatever interests you.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, I loved your "blessings, blessings, blessings" - what gifts the precious people in our lives really are.  We were reminded today, as well, as you can imagine.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Thankyou Kargiver and t.t. for the warm welcome! Kargiver, I love reading about Gracie, I'm thinking of adopting a puppy but I want to wait for the right time so that I can give it all the proper training and time it needs. I am learning so much from you. It will be a while though, maybe next spring? t.t., I think if I had that garden I would be out there constantly. How blessed you are to have G.T. Silly question- I have been following this thread for a long time,but I have no idea what G.T. stands for. Poppy, I hope all is well. I recently lost our cat Tigger,and know how dear our animals are to us.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning, bg.

G.T. = "Green Thumb", his nom, so to speak, since he can grow anything.

My room off the kitchen has a slider that overlooks my pond scene, and that's where I sit to read or knit - and enjoy the garden at the same time - which reminds me, I'd better put the camera down and get going on the purple bear's blanket that I'm knitting for Lilly.  Want to have it done and take it out when I go next week-end.  Haven't done any work on it for several days now, been too preoccupied with this water issue.

P.S.  Curious, where did you get the nom?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

bg, I'm eager to know the story behind your screen name, too...

I'm glad to hear you are wise and waiting to get a puppy until you have the time and energy to devote.  Did you read the "How to crate train an 11 week old puppy" (or something like that) thread?  That was the earliest one on Gracie and has TONS of great advice from our Pet community.  It got me through the difficult early days.  I maintain that anyone who says, "Oh, a puppy how FUN!" has never had one.

tt, happy knitting!  It's a great day for it...rainy here, anyway.  Good day for a nap, too.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Good morning! Cloudy and misty-great for the gardens! beastsgirl refers to my husband. I dated him in high school and one year of college when we parted ways because of distance. He played football through highschool and college,and was called beast because of his size and football. He is also a sweetheart like in Beauty and the Beast. Anyway,after 20 years we ran into each other again-both of us single. He had never married, and I was divorced and now we're married! (I know-it sounds like a Lifetime movie) Sorry if that was too much info!  b.g.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just had to slather the bird feeder post with Crisco - furniture polish didn't deter that rascal chipmunk.  Laughed to watch him attempt 3 tries of jumping on it, and then sliding down fireman style!  As soon as I would fill it, there he'd be, sitting in the feed tray, chomping away, not letting any of the birds land.  I sprinkle plenty on the ground for him, and now he'll be confined to ground filling of his cheek pouches.

Cute story about your nom, bg. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Welcome BG!  I was a lurker for a while too : )  Wonderful people on these boards.  So sorry to hear about Tigger....  I have an orange cat named Tigger!  I also have a grey cat named Boo.  Lost my oldest cat Maggie a couple of years ago and it is hard. 

In Response to Re: May Chat 2010:
    Thankyou Kargiver and t.t. for the warm welcome! Kargiver, I love reading about Gracie, I'm thinking of adopting a puppy but I want to wait for the right time so that I can give it all the proper training and time it needs. I am learning so much from you. It will be a while though, maybe next spring? t.t., I think if I had that garden I would be out there constantly. How blessed you are to have G.T. Silly question- I have been following this thread for a long time,but I have no idea what G.T. stands for. Poppy, I hope all is well. I recently lost our cat Tigger,and know how dear our animals are to us.
    Posted by beastsgirl

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Someone needs to take this camera out of my hands!  I've erased the other pic and am posting this one instead, because it shows close up my snow leopard that guards the pool.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Hi ambergirl! My tigger was orange too. It's been a few weeks now, but I still expect him to come running when I walk in the door,or race me downstairs in the morning.He was a sweet cat-not snooty or indifferent as cats are sometimes thought of. Well,he had a wonderful life very well cared for,and much loved. Thanks for the welcome! bg

Sections
Shortcuts