May Weekday Chats`

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

May Weekday Chats`

It's May Day!  Remember the Maypole dance in elementary school?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Re: May Weekday Chats`

Hi hats -

Yes, I do.  Also remember taking small bouquets of flowers to three elderly sisters who lived kitty-corner to our house.

mothermitzi

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

It's May Day!  Remember the Maypole dance in elementary school?
    Posted by Ihavemyhats

I have pictures of my mother who went to Hyannis Normal school (teacher training) about 1925 partaking in a may pole dance.  What a sight.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Happy Saturday everybody.  How are the diets going?  I was good all last week - not one sweet.  However, today I am going to brunch and will have whatever I want, including one or two bloody marys.  When I was actively dieting, I only lost one or two pounds a week anyway.  It was gradual but worth sticking to. The hardest part is keeping up with the exercise.

Hope to go back to Mahoney's today or tomorrow and get herbs for the deck. Already have a tomato in the upside down planter and hungarian peppers in a large container.  My morning glory seeds are soaking. I'll plant them tomorrow. I like going to the nursery on a day like this because when it's sunny, it's too hot inside the greenhouse. We'll see what they have today. 

Enjoy the day.

mothermitzi 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning mothermitzy,
    Sounds like a good day to stop by the nursery - I can't stand the heat and humity either. Sounds you have been busy setting up your garden. I am going to try an upside down tomato plant. Did you buy it as a kit or can one buy the intire thing w/ pot and all?
    And your Morning Glories are soaking - just remember not to have them for breakfast. lol
    My youngest son left this morning for his 11 hours trip to PB. His jeep packed to the brim. I do feel bad none of us could give him company, but we have house guests. He is a safe driver though and he is very excited about his "new life".
    I am not going on the scale until tomorrow morning, but I feel I have lost some this week also. Will keep you posted.
    Happy Saturday - Pingo

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi pingo -

You certainly have a lot going on with your son leaving and fussy company arriving.  I don't know how you handle company in your house for ten days.  Unless it is my own or very immediate family, I can't do more than two nights at a time. I wouldn't dream of asking anybody if I could stay with them for that long. I need my own space, but that's just me.  I bet it was hard seeing your son go off alone.  I know where you'd rather be!  He'll be ok though, and Pittsburgh is a lot closer than LA or Japan.

Rest assured, I did not crush the morning glory seeds and snort them for breakfast!  LOL!  You can buy the upside down planters (google "topsy turvy planter") or make your own out of a plastic pail, which I think icer did. I'm just not that handy, and I like the looks of mine, which is green and has a design of ivy on it. 

mothermitzi 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello mm,
    Of course I was just kidding with your "breakfast"- I am still in awe for learning about those seeds.
    I handle company, because I just have to. And I do it for the sake of Mr. P. Not easy - I tell you.
    This morning - while my son was loading up his jeep - I still managed to make french toast for everyone. And a fruit smootheys. Plus coffee of course. I did it b/c  wanted my son to have a nice goodbye. (That was after I had made Chai for my SIL and BIL earlier in the morning). And I made him a couple of sandwiches and cut up fruits to have on the way in a small cooler. I didn't want him to have to stop on the way and waste his time to stay in line to buy some junk food. I am sure he will stop on the way to get gas (650 miles), but at least he does not have to stop at the junk food lines. And I made him promise me, that if he got tired - he would stop somewhere and continue tomorrow. And I just know, he will keep his promise.
    Yes, it was definitely hard to see him leave. But you are right. He is so much closer now and I am thrilled about that. And even though it was a happy occasion - I could not help crying. I thank all you wonderful friends on the Chat,  that at least we have an outlet here for our feelings.
    Bless you all! - Pingo

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hello Pingo and mothermitzi

Speaking of tears, Pingo -- went to a First Communion this morning and they did the most marvelous program including 8 or 10 songs sung by the little ones.  Oh, to hear their sweet voices, really belting them out, brought tears to even the toughest guy.  What a beautiful mass, and the weather cooperated too.  We were able to sit out by the pool this afternoon.

Went off the diet, of course, with a wine toast to my grandson, then a marvelous spread, and of course I had to have a "sliver" of the Congratulations cake.  Tomorrow I'll have a tough time also, going to some kind of a cocktail/hors d'oeuvre artisan reception.  Maybe one or two h.d. and a wee sip of wine will do me.  Have not weighed myself since last Monday, and won't until this Monday.  Probably only lost a lb more, if that.

I hope your son will call you as soon as he arrives.  I know he'll be in your mind the whole time he's on the road.

Did I tell you I saw my fox a couple of mornings ago?  Looked out the back door window around 6:45 and there he was trotting right along my walk.  Also, found a photograph of a red fox on line and have that as my computer background, so I can see him every morning and night.

Yesterday my nephew emailed me the pic of the imp from the same field at Dolly Copp where we camped when I was a kid - almost identical to my pic I had shown him. Of course once the campers they have these days are in there, it will look a lot different, but for now it was the empty field with picnic tables and benches and the fireplaces at the side campsites.  And, there was the "Imp".  Don't understand why NH doesn't publicize that more now that the "Old Man" is gone.

Hope you all enjoy the rest of the week-end.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Posted by putt1

Hi pingo and all board friends:

My heart goes out to you when I read about your son packing his jeep but Pittsburgh is such a relief compared to LA and Japan.  Course, its very easy for me to say when my kids and I live within five miles of each other.  Good luck with your company.  I know you are doing this for your hubby. My brother in law would come and stay for two weeks and after the first few days I wanted to get a hotel room for myself! 

I cannot join in the diet group as I am eating just about anything I want within reason.  My supper was hummus and crackers, three chocolate chip cookies and two glasses of chardonnay. 

My great niece had her First Communion this morning.  Looking at those innocent and precious faces on both the boys and girls was wonderful.

Not sure if you remember but awhile back I posted about my problem with carpenter bees.  Anyway, I finally called the exterminator.  He sprayed the nest and told me I would probably see them for another two weeks and then nothing.  It must have been some powerful spray because I have not seen one.  I am having my house painted and worried so much about the workers getting bee stings.

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.

putt

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello all,
    Yes, yesterday was a difficult day for me. I was on edge all day w/ my cell phone near by. Dr. Pingo (doesn't that sound awesome) called me whenever he stopped. I had told him to call us - not us calling him, since I did not wanted him to be disturbed while driving. But it was difficult not to.
    He made it all the way without any problems. Reach the hotel at about 11 pm - so all in all it took him 13 hours with stops in between. I have to tell you , I am so much more relaxed today and had a good night's sleep after the last call. Thanks to you all for all your good wishes and concerns.
    While I was on edge at home, my husband too his family outlet shopping. That gave me some time to prepare for dinner. Today they want to go to one of the NH malls, so that will give me time to clean up and take care of the stray half full boxes and peices my son left everywhere. Yesterday, I just did not have any energy left over to do it.
    To the ones that follow our diet, I was 2 pounds down this morning. Yeah!
    Happy Sunday to you all - Pingo

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello tt, mm and putt,
    Company went shopping w/ hubby - I stayed at home. Yeah! Told them, I would rather stay at home and prepare dinner, so we do not have to go out tonight. Planning to do Eggplant Parm, a salad and a Rhubarb pie for dessert. - I especially selected eggplant b/c I cannot have it. Major allergies. So I will stay w/ salad and my yoghurt.
    tt, I totally know, what you mean about the little ones voices. When I used to participate in our church choir with my two sons - the kiddie choir always made me so emotional. They were completely out of tone, but tried so hard. God bless all those little souls.
    Putt, I know you are absolutely excused for being on an emotional binge. However, you just lost several pounds going to WW - and we were all so proud of you. Why don't you try to join tt and myself. This time around I do better, b/c tt is watching me - with "Eagle Eyes" that is. LOL
    I am not killing myself to get a medal for the most weight loss, but I do look at that ice cream, that come for free at Friendly's - and say, "No. I do not want it"! I used to want it so badly (after all I am paying for it), but it is getting easier to say "No" as time goes by. As you know, it is so much harder to get rid of the pounds, than it is to pack them on.
    Talked to "Dr. P" - he was on his way to get his keys to his new apartment.
    As for family visit - 3 days down, 7 more to go.
    Best to you all - Pingo

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, I'm home.  "Cocktails and h.d." was quite a stretch of someone's imagination - some cheese and crackers in some of the shops - never did see a glass of wine.  Made it easier to save those calories for our eating out afterwards. 

Did see quite a few nice artisan shops however.  Bought a silhouette of a horse card for my granddaughter who will be going to Essex Aggie in the Fall, and the woman photographer was so helpful.  She herself graduated from Essex Aggie equine courses and went on to a college in Providence that gives you a business degree, but as a dual major you can take equine studies.  She gave me her card and said for my granddaughter to call her if she wanted to get any feedback about her pursuit at Essex Aggie or the Providence college.

Glad to see you had more weight loss, Pingo.  I know mine won't be as much as last week, but tomorrow will tell.  Every little pound off helps.

Time for a little nappy pooh. I hope you enjoy your evening meal.  I had baked haddock, half a baked potato, and a salad.  TTYT.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Hello All...We have been hitting the bathroom trial here at casa de Icer....I pleaded with my brother(he is a union plasterer) to do the bathroom and halllway for no $.

I hated to ask him but I figure its his mother too. What truly did shock me was that he is either jealous for Mom to come here, or he just doesnn't want to admit that we are ALL aging...but Wow...He kept saying things like...well she is so healthy...and she is...and she is fine on her own now...but ....all it would take is a fall or some other event that won't be on the calendar...and then...all of a sudden ...it will be necessary and we wont have time to do all this. I guess I just figured we would all be happy with a Plan B...

Anyway...it was nice to hear of all the First Communion occasions

My next avatar will be our morning glories...they are jumping rright out of tthe garden

Pingo...MM was correct...if you and any other Pingo family member would like a tutorial on the upside down tomatoes...Honey and I use buckets...I think I could forward it

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Haha tt, they must have known you were coming! No wine and just a meager cracker w/ cheese. I have been invited to those things - they are usually fund raisers. Sometimes, when I was expecting something to eat - I had to leave early b/c there was really no food offerings. So they lost out on my donations.
    Anyway, I usually like to mail in my donations to the charities, I support.
    Hope you had a good day anyway. - Pingo

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Icer,

So, is he going to do it?  Maybe you could barter - his services for yours - a once a month culinary dessert delight?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi pingo and all board friends: My heart goes out to you when I read about your son packing his jeep but Pittsburgh is such a relief compared to LA and Japan.  Course, its very easy for me to say when my kids and I live within five miles of each other.  Good luck with your company.  I know you are doing this for your hubby. My brother in law would come and stay for two weeks and after the first few days I wanted to get a hotel room for myself!  I cannot join in the diet group as I am eating just about anything I want within reason.  My supper was hummus and crackers, three chocolate chip cookies and two glasses of chardonnay.  My great niece had her First Communion this morning.  Looking at those innocent and precious faces on both the boys and girls was wonderful. Not sure if you remember but awhile back I posted about my problem with carpenter bees.  Anyway, I finally called the exterminator.  He sprayed the nest and told me I would probably see them for another two weeks and then nothing.  It must have been some powerful spray because I have not seen one.  I am having my house painted and worried so much about the workers getting bee stings. Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend. putt
    Posted by putt1

Hi putt -

I don't blame you for eating everything in sight.  At some point, you will climb back on the diet wagon.  I love hommus.  I eat it for a snack everyday.  The one concession I make is to eat it with whole wheat crackers I get at Trader Joe's. Ak-mak is the brand, I think.  They have sesame seeds on them, so they don't taste like sawdust! Yesterday, I went to Saturday brunch at my neighbor's. I watched what I ate, but the dessert cake looked too yummy to pass up.  After I ate two pieces, he told he it was made with two cups of ricotta and seven eggs!
    I enjoyed every bite.

It turned cold this afternoon. I took my father to Lynnfield to watch my nephew play baseball.  Luckily, I wore a long sleeve turtleneck and had a jacket in the trunk. My niece and I were freezing sitting there.  Should have worn slacks I guess.  

mothermitzi     

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

I'm sorry I cannot join in your diet discussion. I have been blessed with a metaboism or whatever that allows me to eat what I want, whenever I want ans as much as I want.  Of course my exercise regimen helps too. But my dear wife watch her carbs like a hawk watches his prey. She is diebetic and reads all the labels to see how many carbs there are. Oh she splurges once in awhile, and then makes up for it later.

I just love to hear the little children sing in church. Our Spirt choir (grades 1-5) sang this morning and this evening we will be going to hear them put on a 45 minute drama/concert.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Hi Icer, So, is he going to do it?  Maybe you could barter - his services for yours - a once a month culinary dessert delight?
    Posted by toytrumpet

Hey TT...He already did it!...And yes I will end up doing stuff for him...He is recently separated from his wife. I can't say that I have shed a tear over it though.She is a nut....They tried to do marital counselling but the counsellor had to get a restraining order against her ...She has absolutly no sense of boundaries
    and I also think that one fact is quite telling...Don't you?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi tt -

Where are the artisan shops you went to today?  Sounds interesting.  One of my nieces is enrolled in a similar program you speak of. She takes core classes at the MFA School and  academic classes at Tufts.  A lot of shuffling around but worth it in the end.  

I spent the rest of the afternoon planting my purchases from Mahoney's.  Got the herbs in: basil, cilantro, sorrel, mint, rosemary, lemon verbena and garlic chives. Also planted the petunias I bought from QVC.  They arrived on Friday.  Hope they turn out ok.  At my leisure, I will get some geraniums and marigolds and fill a couple of planters.  Off to a good start!

mothermitzi 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Icer,

Sounds like your brother is well rid of her.  Glad you got your bathroom plastered, and you still have Baby around right?  If not, you know where to check for her!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi mothermitzi,

The artison shops were in a reconfigured factory - 14 Cedar Street in Amesbury.  We were most taken with a shop of handknit creations.  Beautiful, beautiful colors she puts together.  One of a kind scarves, wristlets, cloches, shawl type knits, all in a loose, what I would call hairpen stitch, just beautiful. She uses really unusual yarns and has such an eye for color.  Also knit pocketbooks that she boils, shrinks and then combs (?), adding knitted flower closures. There are varied artisans there, quite a unique gathering of local artists.  Some studios haven't been rented yet.  It was a fun way to spend a couple of hours this afternoon.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Hi Icer, Sounds like your brother is well rid of her.  Glad you got your bathroom plastered, and you still have Baby around right?  If not, you know where to check for her!
    Posted by toytrumpet

Oh Poor Baby...She is having a hard time with all these strangers about...Honey made that little hide-a-way behind the shower permanant...as well as attic access....and basement access...she is still upset....The funny thing is when Mom comes over...she is fine...So i know it will all work out.

But today, my son told us...his rent with option to buy home might be taken out from underneath them....I kind of figured that may happen...too good to be true...so he and his girlfriend might end up here first for a few...No matter...Its here!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Oh Poor Baby...She is having a hard time with all these strangers about...Honey made that little hide-a-way behind the shower permanant...as well as attic access....and basement access...she is still upset....The funny thing is when Mom comes over...she is fine...So i know it will all work out. But today, my son told us...his rent with option to buy home might be taken out from underneath them....I kind of figured that may happen...too good to be true...so he and his girlfriend might end up here first for a few...No matter...Its here!
    Posted by icer

It will work out fine.  And, you'll be glad of the extra bathroom!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Hi mothermitzi and all board friends:

I was so surprised when you mentioned Ak Mak crackers - when I was going to WW that was what they recommended - I went to Market Basket this week and they were all out.  I ended up buying Finn crisp caraway crackers.  They are about the same 40 calories, no fat and 3 grams of fiber in two slices. 

I woke up kind of cranky today.  I am trying to do too much and need to take a day at a time.  My son took me for a ride and then out to lunch.  Think I needed to leave town for awhile. 

I will not be planting many flowers or tomatoes this year.  I am having the house painted and between scraping, painting, ladders, and drop cloths they wouldnt stand a chance of survival.  

Not sure if I mentioned this before but I won a bird bath at a fund raiser recently.  Looked outside yesterday and saw the most beautiful cardinal having a wonderful time splashing around and showing off.  

Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend. 

putt

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

The old Monday Morning Weight Loss Weigh In:  Nada. 

But, I haven't gained back anything either, so that's a plus.  I'll try to add some kind of exercise this week and give myself a pat on the back for continuing to eat healthier.

Sections
Shortcuts