May Weekday Chats`

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Re: May Weekday Chats`

[QUOTE]Oh boy tt, I printed out your post - so I can remember everything. I knew you would come through for me. No, the people we are going with are not Irish at all - far from it. I will be the only European in the lot. But we are all so anxious to go. We have been to the Lake District, to Wales and to Scottland. And we loved it. Now we will be visiting Ireland, which we have been wanting to do for a very long time.  We are basically staying at one place and then take day trips from there. I am just so anxious to visit the European culture and the beautiful places it offers. Of course we wil go to Waterford. That is  must, but I am so glad you mentioned other places as well. We are kind of non-turists, that like to visit places off the beaten path. Thanks again my dear friend - Pingo To add. No, we are not going on a tour. We will fly in to Shannon, rent a car and do our own sight seing. This is what we always like to do. No schedule - see what we want an linger at the places we like the most.
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

Hi pingo -

TT's travelogue is perfect.  The only thing I can add is a possible trip to the Aran Islands, which are off the coast of Galway, I believe. You can google it.  I thought it was well worth the boat ride out there - two hours I think.  It was a trip back in time and they sell the most wonderful sweaters there.  When I travel, I'm usually more interested in sightseeing than shopping, but Ireland was one big gift shop for me, and I bought so much "stuff" I had to have most of it shipped over.  Beautiful wool scarves, sweaters, linens and Belleek china.  Irish salmon is delicious.  They also have delicious prawns.  Enjoyed the lamb, too.  Meet and chicken had a certain gamey taste I didn't care for.  You will enjoy your trip, I'm sure!

mothermitzi 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

[QUOTE]Good morning all, Mother mitzy and Ken - glad to have you both back. We missed you here. I woke up to a very cold house this morning. We knew it would be a cold night - but to put the heat back on at this time of the year, just doesn't seem right. Is this a warning for what to come this summer? I am now getting ready for my trip to Ireland next week. tt, are there anything specific you want me to see/do? Please tell me. I am really looking forward to this - it is going to be VACATION (at least I hope so). Hubby has been so busy finishing a project, so it will be good for him too. We are traveling with another couple, whom we have been travelling with before - and we get along great. It should be fun. When I get back, I will have to deal with yet some other house guests. A son of our abroad friends is taking a course at MIT. He is only 11 years old, so mom is coming along. They are looking for a place to stay. We have the room, but to get to MIT at 8 in the morning will be quite a challenge. Traffic, traffic, traffic. Hubby told them, they will need to rent a car if staying here. Don' t even know if the woman drives. It would really make sense, if they stay at a hotel near MIT.  But when people hear we live near Boston, everyone thinks that everything is near by. We will see. Oh well - yet another headache.  You all have a nice day - Pingo
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

Hi pingo -

I can suggest two hotels very close to MIT.  I have had friends and family stay at both.

My favorite is The Kendall Hotel.  www.kendallhotel.com

The other is a Marriott Residence Inn on Broadway in Kendall Square.

mothermitzi

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

[QUOTE]Good morning, Mothermizi Good to have you back.  What a wonderful trip you had, really seeing a lot of the coast, and what a lot of memories it stirred up for your father.  You've come back to cold temps here tho.  In the middle of the night I ended up getting up and pulling a knitted afghan from a couch and throwing it over the top of the bedclothes.  Glad I left a couple of my turtlenecks out to wear under my sweatshirts yesterday and today. My son is doing much better, thank you.  He'll go back in another 3 weeks for a final check up (we hope), but certainly is back to normal.  Only thing he couldn't do was enjoy the pool this week-end. I've been trying to keep an eye out for my fox.  I'm wondering if one of his dens is in the back wooded part of my yard.  I've seen him come down from a corner of the yard, but then yesterday saw him run up past the buddha to that same corner.  I'll not disturb him in case there are pups there.  Cheerio either doesn't recognize a wild animal when she sees one, or figures she's bigger than he is, because she was at the slider with me yesterday when he passed right by.  Never flinched.  Any sign of crows, or hawks?
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

Hi tt -

Yes, I was freezing last night. The winter comforter has not left my bed yet.  I grabbed a long sleeved turtleneck this morning, too.  My house is well insulated and the heat didn't come on, although I haven't switched to a/c yet.  I think it was 63 degrees in the house this morning.

No hawks and no crows.  I doubt the crows will ever come back.  I think the remnants of the hawk's nest will deter them.  I forgot to tell you something interesting that happened last week.  Just before I left, I took down a spring wreath I have hanging on the outside of my front storm door.  I rarely use that door and when I opened it from the inside, something moving quickly caught my eye.  I took the wreath down and realized there was a nest built right in the top of the wreath! There were two baby sparrows cowering inside and barely moving.  Poor things must have been terrified.  I realized it was the mother bird flying off when I opened the door.  I carefully put the wreath back on the door.  I'm hoping the mother went back to the nest and I'm not disturbing it for another week or so. 

The farmer's market is back in Copley.  I picked up some swiss chard and a bunch of spring turnips, the size of big radishes.  The woman told me they started the produce in a hothouse back in early March.  I was surprised it was ready so early. A lot of plants and herbs for sale but I have enough already.  I did try some goat cheese from a place in Sterling. 

mothermitzi     

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

[QUOTE]Welcome back mothermitzi !!!! What a wonderful trip.  It must have been very special for your dad, especially to be able to talk about what happened 64 years ago.  Each time you return from a trip your description of the food, places you have seen and things you have done is so descriptive I feel as if we took this trip together.  Thank you. putt
    Posted by putt1[/QUOTE]

Hi putt -

Thanks for the kind words.  After falling off the wagon (diet-wise) on this trip, I need to get back on the saddle.  At least when it's cool, I am encouraged to walk and will walk home tonight after work. 

mothermitzi

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Well it seems everyone is traveling this summer, San Francisco, Ireland, GA.
    Well I am back and we had a wonderful time. Coming  back I was amused by the moving map on a small TV screen on the back of the seat in front of me. I had never seen that before.
    Yes, It rained part of every day we were in GA, and humidity in the 80's but it was a pleasant relief from the HOT stuff here in  AZ. Yes it was back to 100 today.
    Yes, raising children MUST be for the younger generation. I could not take, crying and whining, and getting into stuff etc. But we took lots of pictures and now have lots of memories.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi Ken -

You must have flown JetBlue.  I like the individual tv screens they offer.  I love the navigational map, too.  You always know where you are.  They used to have a direct flight from Boston Oakland but did away with it when they opened their NY terminal.  We flew American this time into San Francisco - not the airline it used to be, but I wanted a direct flight. Welcome home!

mothermitzi

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hi mm, thanks so much for that info. I printed your info too. Aran Islands? Sounds like a perfect trip for us. I only have a week to see and experience all that - wish I had two weeks.
    I know, I will have a lot of shopping to do, so I am bringing my piggy bank.
    I just knew you girls would come through. I surely appreciate it. You are the best - Pingo

[QUOTE]Hi pingo - TT's travelogue is perfect.  The only thing I can add is a possible trip to the Aran Islands, which are off the coast of Galway, I believe. You can google it.  I thought it was well worth the boat ride out there - two hours I think.  It was a trip back in time and they sell the most wonderful sweaters there.  When I travel, I'm usually more interested in sightseeing than shopping, but Ireland was one big gift shop for me, and I bought so much "stuff" I had to have most of it shipped over.  Beautiful wool scarves, sweaters, linens and Belleek china.  Irish salmon is delicious.  They also have delicious prawns.  Enjoyed the lamb, too.  Meet and chicken had a certain gamey taste I didn't care for.  You will enjoy your trip, I'm sure! mothermitzi 
    Posted by mothermitzi[/QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks mm for the suggestions. I will keep those in mind. Even if we have to pay, it would be so much easier on everyone. But I can tell you right now, I am NOT going to drive them to MIT every morning and pick them up at night. And Mr. P has his own busy schedule. Will have to see, what Mr. Pingo says.
    If they want to stay here, I don' t mind - even though it will be quite a burden on me. But they will have to do their own shuttling.
    Thanks again my dear friend - Pingo

[QUOTE]Hi pingo - I can suggest two hotels very close to MIT.  I have had friends and family stay at both. My favorite is The Kendall Hotel.  www.kendallhotel.com The other is a Marriott Residence Inn on Broadway in Kendall Square. mothermitzi

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks tt for your concerns. Both drivers grew up driving on the left side. When we traveled in Wales, Lake District and Scotland - we had no problems at all.
    But it is so funny, you should mention the 'round-abouts'. We had a big laugh about those.
    We once stopped to ask for directions - and the most kind police officer gave us all the directions including all the 'round abouts'. But his pronunciation was just awesome and so funny, that it became a joke for us.
    You should just hear Mr. P tell you about 'round abouts' and I know, you would crack up.
    Can't wait to go around them - the wrong way of course. - P

[QUOTE]"To add. No, we are not going on a tour. We will fly in to Shannon, rent a car and do our own sight seing. This is what we always like to do. No schedule - see what we want an linger at the places we like the most. " Remember to drive on the left side of the road, and you'll also be pleasantly surprised at the courtesy drivers extend each other at the "round abouts" (what is known here as "rotaries").  Nothing like the each man for himself we see in this country.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi All -

Haven't heard from princess.  Has it been two weeks since she went to the hospital?  I may have missed a posting while I was away. I think she said she would be in for two weeks.  Also stopped hearing from circles.  She was posting regularly for awhile.  Hope these chatters check in with us soon.

mothermitzi   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

[QUOTE]Hi All - Haven't heard from princess.  Has it been two weeks since she went to the hospital?  I may have missed a posting while I was away. I think she said she would be in for two weeks.  Also stopped hearing from circles.  She was posting regularly for awhile.  Hope these chatters check in with us soon. mothermitzi   

It has been just about two weeks, I think, think it was the day after Mother's Day that Princess was going back in the hospital.  She's been on my mind a lot lately too, hope that means she is well on the road to recovery and is getting ready to pop in and say "hi".

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"No hawks and no crows.  I doubt the crows will ever come back.  I think the remnants of the hawk's nest will deter them.  I forgot to tell you something interesting that happened last week.  Just before I left, I took down a spring wreath I have hanging on the outside of my front storm door.  I rarely use that door and when I opened it from the inside, something moving quickly caught my eye.  I took the wreath down and realized there was a nest built right in the top of the wreath! There were two baby sparrows cowering inside and barely moving.  Poor things must have been terrified.  I realized it was the mother bird flying off when I opened the door.  I carefully put the wreath back on the door.  I'm hoping the mother went back to the nest and I'm not disturbing it for another week or so. "

OMG, what's the status of the baby birds?  At my son's Memorial Day, we were all amazed that a bird had built its nest right on top of one of the backyard outdoor lights, and there were two little beaks peeking up out of it.  Here she was, right in the midst of a yardful of people and kids, jumping in the pool, cooking, and she was completely undisturbed by it all.  G.T. has a bird that comes back every year to build its nest in a box he has provided on the ceiling of his front porch, after having to remove one the first year.  It had found a rotting plank of wood up there and had chosen that for its place to raise its young.  They do seem to like to be near people.  I have sparrows in the topiary outside my bedroom window, and I'll say they've chosen a good spot because it is such a thick tree, I can't even peek in and see anything. Do see them flying in and out tho.  Also have another nest in the pine tree out front.  Not sure if that is where the robins that were building moved to.  Now that the new house being constructed down the street (and it is a beautiful one that blends in the landscape so nicely) has most of the outside work done, I'm hoping crows will come back to the area.  Sometimes I catch a distant call of them.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I saw a white squirrel the other day!  Ran right out in front of my car, and I had to brake to avoid it.  When I was able to look more closely, I noticed it was a creamy color, with a sort of darker patch on the back, but it's the first white squirrel I have ever seen.  Yesterday, I noticed a lot of small, dead squirrels on the roadsides.  The new babies are leaving the nests and don't have the savvy to avoid cars. 

Many people don't like squirrels because they raid bird feeders, but I love to watch them in my trees.  Especially in February, when they are mating and they have some epic chases going on.  Also, I remember what a service they do for us in propagating trees by burying nuts - the acorns they forget germinate and grow into "great oaks."  I pulled up a little tree from my lawn the other day - with the chestnut still attached!  I was sorry that it wasn't planted somewhere where it could grow.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Never saw a white squirrel.  Once while walking through Boston Commons, I saw a black one, and was thrilled at seeing that.  Since the coyotes have made their appearance in town, we have a lot fewer squirrels.  This year, there seem to be two rather frisky ones.  My birdfeeder is squirrel proof (the door closes down on the seed from their weight on the bar), but they are always underneath scoffing up whatever the birds flip out when they're searching for just the right seed.  Have noticed the squirrels digging up what appears to be good size nuts, so apparently they do hunt up some that they've buried.  I'm not a fan of them only because regardless of how many available trees there are around, they are always looking to get into and make a nest in a house. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Mother mitzy, I was thinking the exact same thing this morning. Princess went to the hospital for two weeks and should be at home about now. But I am sure, she has plenty to see to and the Chat is not the first thing on her mind. Wish she would check in with us soon though. Miss her.
    It is another thing with circles. Hope everything is ok with her. I am just hoping her candle business has been taking off and she has been busy. But it wouild be nice to hear from her too.
    Princess and Circles, where are you?

[QUOTE]Hi All - Haven't heard from princess.  Has it been two weeks since she went to the hospital?  I may have missed a posting while I was away. I think she said she would be in for two weeks.  Also stopped hearing from circles.  She was posting regularly for awhile.  Hope these chatters check in with us soon. mothermitzi   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

[QUOTE]Hi Ken - You must have flown JetBlue.  I like the individual tv screens they offer.  I love the navigational map, too.  You always know where you are.  They used to have a direct flight from Boston Oakland but did away with it when they opened their NY terminal.  We flew American this time into San Francisco - not the airline it used to be, but I wanted a direct flight. Welcome home! mothermitzi

No, we flew Delta. Flew Delta going out, but we had the front seat and no seat in front of us to have a tv SCREEN on

Sorry I have not been on sooner. I have computer problems. In fact I am on my wife's right now. I lost the wireless connection to my router. ANd when I tried to to a Windows update for Vista, service pace 2, it does not seem to want to take. My comuter now is at my son's house and the update installation has  been running almost 2 hours and has not taken yet.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

[QUOTE]Good morning all, Mother mitzy and Ken - glad to have you both back. We missed you here. I woke up to a very cold house this morning. We knew it would be a cold night - but to put the heat back on at this time of the year, just doesn't seem right. Is this a warning for what to come this summer? I am now getting ready for my trip to Ireland next week. tt, are there anything specific you want me to see/do? Please tell me. I am really looking forward to this - it is going to be VACATION (at least I hope so). Hubby has been so busy finishing a project, so it will be good for him too. We are traveling with another couple, whom we have been travelling with before - and we get along great. It should be fun. When I get back, I will have to deal with yet some other house guests. A son of our abroad friends is taking a course at MIT. He is only 11 years old, so mom is coming along. They are looking for a place to stay. We have the room, but to get to MIT at 8 in the morning will be quite a challenge. Traffic, traffic, traffic. Hubby told them, they will need to rent a car if staying here. Don' t even know if the woman drives. It would really make sense, if they stay at a hotel near MIT.  But when people hear we live near Boston, everyone thinks that everything is near by. We will see. Oh well - yet another headache.  You all have a nice day - Pingo
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

When do you leave for your trip to Ireland, Pingo?  Ever since your post, I've been reliving in my mind some of the places we visited, and people we met.  Have a wonderful time and be sure to take pictures of the rolling hills of patchwork shades of green - you'll never see them any place else.  Wishing you a safe and fun filled trip.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

[QUOTE]When do you leave for your trip to Ireland, Pingo?  Ever since your post, I've been reliving in my mind some of the places we visited, and people we met.  Have a wonderful time and be sure to take pictures of the rolling hills of patchwork shades of green - you'll never see them any place else.  Wishing you a safe and fun filled trip.

Have a good time TT   See you when u get back.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi Ken -

I work with a guy who had terrible problems with Vista.  Good luck.  I'm always lost when something happens to my computer.  I hate having to rely on a technical person, but that's the way it is for me!

mothermitzi

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi tt -

I don't know the status because I've stayed away from the nest.  Haven't gone near that door since I got back.  I'll give it a few more days and take a look.  The birds looked ready to fly anyway and I hope that's what happened.  

Spent a nice day in Maine today.  Had lunch with our family friend and another friend who just had a baby.  Beautiful day for a ride. The baby is so tiny and adorable.  Nothing like being around a newborn for awhile.  On the way home, I stopped at Harrow's and got a chicken pie.  I'll have that tomorrow.  Hopefully, I'll go for a walk - not much planned, and I'm looking forward to a day like that!

mothermitzi  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

[QUOTE]No, we flew Delta. Flew Delta going out, but we had the front seat and no seat in front of us to have a tv SCREEN on Sorry I have not been on sooner. I have computer problems. In fact I am on my wife's right now. I lost the wireless connection to my router. ANd when I tried to to a Windows update for Vista, service pace 2, it does not seem to want to take. My comuter now is at my son's house and the update installation has  been running almost 2 hours and has not taken yet.
    Posted by Ken1935[/QUOTE]

Dear Ken,

Never, ever, ever install anything from Microsoft until after it has been out for several months!  Those people put out the buggiest, most unreliable software in the world and they don't give a hoot about anyone.  I have the same problem with a service pack for another Windows system at work, and we had to reinstall the whole OS twice.  We now have a sign up saying"do not install Service Pack 3 on this machine." 

They are trying to push IE8 too - Ladies, do not install it!  If the "updates are ready" popup appears, press cancel.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good Sunday morning tt, I am sorry I didn' t get back to you sooner, but is has been a busy time for me being out of my office next week. We are leaving Saturday, and I just can' t wait. I took down all of your travel description - will take it with me. I was just great - thank you so much. mm also mentioned the Aran Islands. We will definitely think of those too. Now, I just wish I would have a lot more time in Ireland.
    But you know, the most I am looking forward to are the rolling hills and  returning to the European culture. So different from here.
    Now to a completely different subject.
    Last night (actually late afternoon) leaving our office, we had a large bird perching at the top corner of our office building. He/she was just sitting there. It was much larger than a Hawk but smaller than an Eagle. The coloring was mostly like an Eagle. Could be a baby Eagle. Maybe. It was so exciting. Hubby took several pictures. We do have a flat roof, which would be perfect for nesting. Monday, we will go and check. Will keep you posted.

[QUOTE]When do you leave for your trip to Ireland, Pingo?  Ever since your post, I've been reliving in my mind some of the places we visited, and people we met.  Have a wonderful time and be sure to take pictures of the rolling hills of patchwork shades of green - you'll never see them any place else.  Wishing you a safe and fun filled trip.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good Sunday morning,

Up early the past few mornings - this morning two of something, I'm assuming squirrels, were racing across what sounded like my gutters.  Cheerio raced to attention at the window, but neither she nor I were fast enough to see what it was.  Probably those two frisky squirrels I mentioned in another post.

Wonder what the bird was you saw at work, Pingo.  Does your husband have a zoom lens on his camera?  I was invited down my neighbor's for supper last night, and we had a little show too - a male and female duck came and fed under their feeder.  They had sent me pictures earlier in the day, but as the husband was working out in the garden yesterday afternoon, they waddled down from the woods in back, and even him coming in to get us didn't disturb them.  Funny, she would eat the sesame seeds off the top of the bread they had thrown out, then would flip the rest of the pieces to him!  His wife and I howled - he didn't see the humor in it!

Because of all the traveling distance between cities, I think you really need 10 days in Ireland, but you'll just have to condense your travel to an area in a certain perimeter of where you are staying.  Both times I have gone we stayed 2 or 3 nights in a place and then moved on to another area.  Regardless, you'll come home with many nice memories, I'm sure.  Since you aren't leaving until next Saturday, we'll still have time to chat with you before you go.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

[QUOTE]Hi tt - I don't know the status because I've stayed away from the nest.  Haven't gone near that door since I got back.  I'll give it a few more days and take a look.  The birds looked ready to fly anyway and I hope that's what happened.   Spent a nice day in Maine today.  Had lunch with our family friend and another friend who just had a baby.  Beautiful day for a ride. The baby is so tiny and adorable.  Nothing like being around a newborn for awhile.  On the way home, I stopped at Harrow's and got a chicken pie.  I'll have that tomorrow.  Hopefully, I'll go for a walk - not much planned, and I'm looking forward to a day like that! mothermitzi  

Good Sunday morning, Mothermitzi

It looks to be another beautiful day, like yesterday.  You had a beautiful day to go to Maine.  I'm itching to take a drive to Kittery and do a little shopping at Eddie Bauer's.  Time for some new tops - AND - ready for a lobster roll at Bosn's Landing.  Maybe I'll suggest it next week to a friend.  I have no plans today, other than to do my 10 minute walk.  I sort of look forward to that each day now.  Waiting for the morning when I feel I'll be able to push it further and still be able to get back home!

Like you, I haven't gone near the topiary where the sparrows are nested.  I look out from my bedroom window to see if I can see in there and see a nest, but haven't actually walked over and peeked in.  There's so much activity back and forth there right now, I'd probably be dive bombed by the parents!

About time for breakfast, so will shower and dress and get ready for the day.  Hope you have a nice one.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Happy Sunday to all board friends

pingo, my husband and I went to Ireland in 2001 with a wonderful group of old friends.  TT did a wonderful job giving you tips. We also went to most of the places she mentioned.   I am so thrilled today we actually kissed the Blarney Stone.  If I forget to mention it again, have a wonderful time!!!

mothermitzi you always have so much fun!  I love reading your posts.

I bought a new washing machine and when it was hooked up I could not believe how much it vibrates.  Apparently, it's the old floor that's not level.  My son and son in law are coming by today to see what can be done.  Does it ever end?

Going out with the kids for dinner tonight.  Looking forward to it.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

putt

Sections
Shortcuts