May Weekday Chats`

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: May Weekday Chats`

Good morning putt, not to worry about your washer. It probably just have to be leveled. There are small 'feet' underneath, that easily can be adjusted. The installers did not do their work. I am sure your two handymen will be able to fix it for you.
    Yes, I am looking forward to our Ireland trip. The greens in Europe? Oh, the greens - lovely. And I mean any little piece of grass. Also, everything is so unbelievable clean. The sidewalks, the windows, the streets. I will enjoy the most being 'back home'. Not that I am Irish by any means, but Europe is Europe - no matter where.
    Have a nice day and enjoy your dinner tonight. Do you know, where you will be going? - Pingo

Happy Sunday to all board friends pingo, my husband and I went to Ireland in 2001 with a wonderful group of old friends.  TT did a wonderful job giving you tips. We also went to most of the places she mentioned.   I am so thrilled today we actually kissed the Blarney Stone.  If I forget to mention it again, have a wonderful time!!! mothermitzi you always have so much fun!  I love reading your posts. I bought a new washing machine and when it was hooked up I could not believe how much it vibrates.  Apparently, it's the old floor that's not level.  My son and son in law are coming by today to see what can be done.  Does it ever end? Going out with the kids for dinner tonight.  Looking forward to it. Hope everyone has a wonderful day. putt
    Posted by putt1

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Dear Ken, Never, ever, ever install anything from Microsoft until after it has been out for several months!  Those people put out the buggiest, most unreliable software in the world and they don't give a hoot about anyone.  I have the same problem with a service pack for another Windows system at work, and we had to reinstall the whole OS twice.  We now have a sign up saying"do not install Service Pack 3 on this machine."  They are trying to push IE8 too - Ladies, do not install it!  If the "updates are ready" popup appears, press cancel.
    Posted by Ihavemyhats

Vista wa already installed in my PC when i bought it. I had been warned of it, but I thought,how bad can it be. And i do so little on the computer, i figured i would be OK.  My son in GA, who is a computer tech an main frames, said he would never have it. He said he does not know vista, and will never learn it, so he was not of much help to me. But good news, my son here got everything fixed and was going to return it to me last night, but found out that my 2 USB PORTS  on the front were not working so he is keeping it until today to get those working again......Thank the good Lord for smart children

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello hats and ken, there is nothing worse than to install a new program, and it doesn' t work. You are right hat, Microsoft is the worst. In our office our son has installed some kind of program, that will not let anyone install anything. We are on are main server and any bug or virus will transfer to all of us. Any new program, will be installed by him - and him only - on a different server and run for a few weeks to see if here are bugs or viruses. Only then he will transfer it to our server. We are so lucky to have him.
    Don' t you just hate all those updates that show up? We do get them all the time, but our employees know better not to install them and just click cancel. If the try, their machine will shut down automatically. It has happened. And then it has to be reformated and all the programs re-installed. Big red face!

Dear Ken, Never, ever, ever install anything from Microsoft until after it has been out for several months!  Those people put out the buggiest, most unreliable software in the world and they don't give a hoot about anyone.  I have the same problem with a service pack for another Windows system at work, and we had to reinstall the whole OS twice.  We now have a sign up saying"do not install Service Pack 3 on this machine."  They are trying to push IE8 too - Ladies, do not install it!  If the "updates are ready" popup appears, press cancel.
    Posted by Ihavemyhats

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Putt,

Pingo is right, the servicemen did not do their job when they delivered and installed your washer.  Those little "feet" underneath can be adjusted and they should not have left before making sure it was level, and that it also worked on the various cycles.  I'd put a call into the store where you bought it and make them aware of the state they left it in.

Have fun out tonight.  After having a nice day yesterday, I'm spoiled now today and am hoping for a phone call from someone with an invitation!  I don't like to call and impose on Sunday's, because that's a family day, but am always glad when someone calls and includes me in their plans.

Watching the joggers and power walkers go by, got to go and do my snail's pace 10 minutes!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Hi pingo and tt

You were both right !  My son and son in law adjusted the legs but it still vibrated a little so they put plywood underneath and it's so much better. Everyone tells me its the powerful engines in the machines today.  I had my old one for over twenty years.

tt you must be proud of yourself for getting up and walking everyday.  I'm waiting for you to tell us you're doing the Boston marathon next year!  I hope someone calls and invites you for a nice dinner tonight.

Not sure where we are going to eat.  They all went to the Dave Matthews concert last night and have the hungry horrors today. 

Hope everyone has a great night

putt

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Good Sunday morning, Mothermitzi It looks to be another beautiful day, like yesterday.  You had a beautiful day to go to Maine.  I'm itching to take a drive to Kittery and do a little shopping at Eddie Bauer's.  Time for some new tops - AND - ready for a lobster roll at Bosn's Landing.  Maybe I'll suggest it next week to a friend.  I have no plans today, other than to do my 10 minute walk.  I sort of look forward to that each day now.  Waiting for the morning when I feel I'll be able to push it further and still be able to get back home! Like you, I haven't gone near the topiary where the sparrows are nested.  I look out from my bedroom window to see if I can see in there and see a nest, but haven't actually walked over and peeked in.  There's so much activity back and forth there right now, I'd probably be dive bombed by the parents! About time for breakfast, so will shower and dress and get ready for the day.  Hope you have a nice one.
    Posted by toytrumpet

Hi tt -

For the first time all spring, I really felt that yesterday was a great day - today, too, although we just had a thunderstorm here. It felt like late spring should. One person in our party yesterday had lobster - boiled.  I thought about the lobster roll but don't like to order one unless I know I'm in a good place, and I wasn't so sure.  I ended up having a bowl of fish chowder - very tasty - and a chicken Caesar. If we have a good day next week, I think a ride to Kettery is a splendid idea, before the summer crowds arrive.  I know you by now.  You will want a lobster roll - and soon! 

Beautiful day by the river today.  It was warm and the breeze was beautiful.  I took part of the paper and walked for awhile before sitting down and getting up again.  I guess you could say I walked and read at my leisure.  A lot of people around and a lot of pollen in the air.  I think I have some sort of sinus "thing" going on. I'm glad to read you are walking.  I need to get back in the groove.  I have no plans to be away until July, so there is no reason for me not to.

mothermitzi 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

MM I am so jealous, you can have fish chowder. THere is no place around here you can find that. That is what I miss most about New England, sea food, especially whole fried clams.....They don't even know what that is around here.
    We used to love to get Gorton's cod fish cakes. I don't even know if they make those anymore, certainly not out here.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi Ken -

You can buy Legal Seafood's fish chowder online, and they will ship it to you. You're correct;  some regional dishes are best prepared and eaten in the spot they were created.  Soon, I will be making my annual pilgrimage to the Clam Box in Ipswich for a plate of fried clams. I think Gorton's is still around.  I usually keep a box of fish sticks (and tater tots) in the freezer for one of my comfort food cravings.

mothermitzi

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Ken - You can buy Legal Seafood's fish chowder online, and they will ship it to you. You're correct;  some regional dishes are best prepared and eaten in the spot they were created.  Soon, I will be making my annual pilgrimage to the Clam Box in Ipswich for a plate of fried clams. I think Gorton's is still around.  I usually keep a box of fish sticks (and tater tots) in the freezer for one of my comfort food cravings. mothermitzi
    Posted by mothermitzi

Good morning, Mothermitzi

Speaking of The Clam Box, one of my sons was telling me that on Mother's Day every year his brother-in-law takes his mother to her favorite place, The Clam Box.  This year when they went there was a line all the way down the street, with gawd only knows how long a wait before you actually got to sit down and eat.  First time in a long time they ended up going somewhere else.  Last year when a friend and I went during the week even, we ended up in a long outside line - but as you know, their clams are worth it.  My cousin prefers the ones without bellies and has had them at Bosn's Landing and thought they were as good as in Ipswich.

Lobster rolls and clam plates, get ready for tt and mothermitzi!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Mother Mitzy is right, Legal seafood will mail chowder, clams - anything you want. However, it is an expensive deal. But if you really, really has a craving it may be worth it. Go to their website and you will see their offerings.
    But try to look in your high end grocery stores. I found Legal's chower in TX in a store compared to Whole Foods here. Frozen though. But my son said, it was close to what they serve at the restaurants up here. You could also get Legal Seafood's cookbook and have Mrs. Ken make your own with canned clams and store bought clam juice. I have done that on occasion. It came very close, and it was very easy.
    Oh boy, now I want chowder!

MM I am so jealous, you can have fish chowder. THere is no place around here you can find that. That is what I miss most about New England, sea food, especially whole fried clams.....They don't even know what that is around here. We used to love to get Gorton's cod fish cakes. I don't even know if they make those anymore, certainly not out here.
    Posted by Ken1935

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

And add Pingo and Mr. Pingo to that party. We usually go there when it is warmer, so we can sit outside at one of their picnic tables. I know the wait is always long, but that is only a good sign. We have even thought of bringing our own camping table and chairs, when we go there - just to have a place to sit down.
    I can just imagine how busy it must have been on Mother' s Day. We usually take a long walk at Cranes Beach, then go - very hungry - for the fried clams. I know, they are not good for you - especially when on a diet. (Well tt, we are not really on a diet - just trying to loose some weight - right?) But at least we are trying to loose some calories, before we devour them.
    Why am I talking about chowder and clams, when my next week's diet will be Guinness and scones? Yeah!

Good morning, Mothermitzi Speaking of The Clam Box, one of my sons was telling me that on Mother's Day every year his brother-in-law takes his mother to her favorite place, The Clam Box.  This year when they went there was a line all the way down the street, with gawd only knows how long a wait before you actually got to sit down and eat.  First time in a long time they ended up going somewhere else.  Last year when a friend and I went during the week even, we ended up in a long outside line - but as you know, their clams are worth it.  My cousin prefers the ones without bellies and has had them at Bosn's Landing and thought they were as good as in Ipswich. Lobster rolls and clam plates, get ready for tt and mothermitzi!
    Posted by toytrumpet

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Mother Mitzy is right, Legal seafood will mail chowder, clams - anything you want. However, it is an expensive deal. But if you really, really has a craving it may be worth it. Go to their website and you will see their offerings. But try to look in your high end grocery stores. I found Legal's chower in TX in a store compared to Whole Foods here. Frozen though. But my son said, it was close to what they serve at the restaurants up here. You could also get Legal Seafood's cookbook and have Mrs. Ken make your own with canned clams and store bought clam juice. I have done that on occasion. It came very close, and it was very easy. Oh boy, now I want chowder!
    Posted by pingo

Oh you guys are making my mouth water. I fear to order all the nice seafood I like from Legal Seafoods would be more expensive than if I flew to Boston to get some.Foot in mouth

AND BTW.,,,I think we all ought to start using the June thread, May is GONE

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

I found this joke that I think the ladies on this thread will like. I hope you are not offended by the punch line.   BUt it is funny A little girl and her mother were out and about. Out of the blue, the girl asked her mother, "Mommy, How old are you?" The mother responded, "Honey, women don't talk about their age. You'll learn this as you get older." The girl then asked, "Mommy, how much do you weigh?" Her mother responded again, "That's another thing women don't talk about. You'll learn this, too, as you grow up." The girl, still wanting to know about her mother, then fired off another question, "Mommy, why did you and Daddy get a divorce?" The mother, a little annoyed by the questions, responded, "Honey, that is a subject that hurts me very much, and I don't want to talk about it now." The little girl, frustrated, sulked until she was dropped off at a friend's house to play. She consulted with her girlfriend about her and her mother's conversation. The girlfriend said, "All you have to do is sneak a look at your mother's driver's license. It's just a like a report card from school. It tells you everything." Later, the little girl and her mother were out and about again. The little girl started off with, "Mommy, Mommy, I know how old you are. I know how old you are. You're 32 years old." The mother was very shocked. She asked, "Sweetheart, how do you know that?" The little girl shrugged and said, "I just know. And I know how much you weigh. You weigh 130 pounds." "Where did you learn that?" The little girl said, "I just know. And I know why you and Daddy got a divorce. You got an 'F' in sex."
    Posted by Ken1935

I notice that Ken, icer and I are the only ones around here who state our ages (me - 50). Why do you think that is?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Ken: Why are you thanking Icer for her FYI from last night? She misinformed you. Everyone in the CC forum definitely has not put me on IGNORE, contrary to what she wants you to believe You should be defending me anyway, Ken. Why didnt you stick up for Wildo? You more than anyone here should appreciate what a kind, considerate, thoughtful person I am... Icer makes it seem like you did something wrong just for responding to me. How absurd. By thanking her though, you legitimize everything she says. Very sad, Ken You really disappoint me today Ken, youve disappointed Wildo...
    Posted by MosesHandsworth

Well, my dear, I don't have you on iggy. I prefer to place people on mental iggy - it helps one avoid memory loss in later age, like doing crosswords and taking a language.

Wait - I have Rico in "Love Letters" on iggy. Because he's bleako.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Hi Ken - You can buy Legal Seafood's fish chowder online, and they will ship it to you. You're correct;  some regional dishes are best prepared and eaten in the spot they were created.  Soon, I will be making my annual pilgrimage to the Clam Box in Ipswich for a plate of fried clams. I think Gorton's is still around.  I usually keep a box of fish sticks (and tater tots) in the freezer for one of my comfort food cravings. mothermitzi
    Posted by mothermitzi

Yummy - the Clam Box. One of my favorite places. Outdoor dining, of course.Smile

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Well, my dear, I don't have you on iggy. I prefer to place people on mental iggy - it helps one avoid memory loss in later age, like doing crosswords and taking a language. Wait - I have Rico in "Love Letters" on iggy. Because he's bleako.
    Posted by reindeergirl

As for you, Wild One, or whatever your name is today, you're taking this all far too seriously. Until you meet any of us in real life (and that does happen in chat rooms), remember that it's a discussion board, not a negotiating table filled by heads of state. Sheesh. Calm down, you'll be happier here.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Ken, with the airfare hitting bottom low, you are probably right. I still suggest that you or Mrs. Ken try to make your own chowder, if you are really craving it. I will be happy to give you Legal's recipe if you want it. It is very easy.
    We are having several beautiful days here in a row. Just NE spring weather. How I just love it. The Rhododendrons are at their fullest right now - and my Peonies are starting to bloom. What a show that is. I will take bunches and bunches to my office for everyone to enjoy and to to give away.
    Happy day to you and Mrs. Ken.

Oh you guys are making my mouth water. I fear to order all the nice seafood I like from Legal Seafoods would be more expensive than if I flew to Boston to get some. AND BTW.,,,I think we all ought to start using the June thread, May is GONE
    Posted by Ken1935

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning, Pingo

I envy you your peonies.  I've never been able to grow them here, tho most other plants have taken.  Do you give them a lime feeding?  At my childhood home we had gorgeous blooms, but very poor clay soil.  I seem to remember my father giving things a dose of lime to sweeten the soil.  Rhubarb is another thing I can't grow with any great success here.  Love it, but one batch, at most, is all I usually get in a season.  Anyway, enjoy your peonies.  Be sure to shake the ants out first (remember them dropping out of the blooms once we had them in a vase in the house).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Good morning, Pingo I envy you your peonies.  I've never been able to grow them here, tho most other plants have taken.  Do you give them a lime feeding?  At my childhood home we had gorgeous blooms, but very poor clay soil.  I seem to remember my father giving things a dose of lime to sweeten the soil.  Rhubarb is another thing I can't grow with any great success here.  Love it, but one batch, at most, is all I usually get in a season.  Anyway, enjoy your peonies.  Be sure to shake the ants out first (remember them dropping out of the blooms once we had them in a vase in the house).
    Posted by toytrumpet

I think Peonies, like Hydrangea and Rhodies are more acid lovers than basic (PH level) so I would not lime them.  To get rid of the ants before you bring them in, dip each flower head in water for a few seconds to float off the ants, then take them out and shake off the water.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Hats,

Reading about the rhododendrums and peonies liking similar soil, deepens the mystery.  In the same side of the yard where I have azaleas and rhododendrums growing, is where I have tried to raise the peonies --  strange.  I'm more upset about not getting a bumper crop of rhubarb.  Kills me to have to buy it all summer long.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, I have no problem growing peonies. Actually they are getting too large - and I have been thinking of divide them and give half away. I just dug a hole, put them in and there they go. No fertilizer, lime or anything else. The girls in my office was swooning away this morning, when I brought in a huge bouquet. Enough to fill our reception area, Mr. Pingo's office and of course mine. Tomorrow I will bring in some more for the ladies. I am sure they expect it. I have always done it. It is as much to their advantage as it is to mine. The blooms get so heavy and will touch the ground - so I usually like to cut them in a barely opened stage. That way they also last longer.
    Yes, you are right about the ants. They are a pain to bring inside the house. But my horticulture friend told me, they are necessary for the flower to open up. They eat the sticky stuff.
    Unfortunately they will be in all their glory, while we are in Ireland. But I will tell my secretary, that she can go and cut a many as she wants.
    When will you be going to TJ on Rt. 1? I could cut you a bunch and leave it at the 'dock' as a special TY from me to you.

Sections
Shortcuts