May Weekday Chats`

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Re: May Weekday Chats`

Just a little explaination of avatar...these are our morning glories coming back....For those who have seen our photobucket...this is the "teepee" area

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning Icer,
    I am glad to hear your bathroom is all plastered. I just can't believe your brother hesitated. For heaven's sake, it is HIS mother and HIS sister, he is doing this for. Doesn't that count for something? IMO this should not even be a question.
    I don't know your brother at all - and he may be a very nice person. But I think, in general union workers think they are special. Their demands are just too much. I have been following the "closing of the Globe". Those union workers demands make me crazy. Who in the public or private sector have a lifetime guarantied job?
    We are having a financial crisis in this country. Everyone have to tighten their belts. Union workers should be no exception.
    On a happier note, I am definitely going to do "Topsy-Turvy Tomatoes" this year. Seems like everyone are having such great experience w/ them.
    Best to you my dear - Pingo

[QUOTE]Hello All...We have been hitting the bathroom trial here at casa de Icer....I pleaded with my brother(he is a union plasterer) to do the bathroom and halllway for no $. I hated to ask him but I figure its his mother too. What truly did shock me was that he is either jealous for Mom to come here, or he just doesnn't want to admit that we are ALL aging...but Wow...He kept saying things like...well she is so healthy...and she is...and she is fine on her own now...but ....all it would take is a fall or some other event that won't be on the calendar...and then...all of a sudden ...it will be necessary and we wont have time to do all this. I guess I just figured we would all be happy with a Plan B... Anyway...it was nice to hear of all the First Communion occasions My next avatar will be our morning glories...they are jumping rright out of tthe garden Pingo...MM was correct...if you and any other Pingo family member would like a tutorial on the upside down tomatoes...Honey and I use buckets...I think I could forward it
    Posted by icer[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Pingo you are going to love love love the upside down tomatoes...No staking...no weeding if you plant herbs in the top too...and I think you use less water too.

The only thing about the ones we did last year was they got a bottom rot, that I first thought was due to too much rain, but I have had an expert tell me it is a calcium issue.

well happy planting

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi icer -

Just planted my morning glories yesterday.  I will thin them, keep some for myself and plant the rest at my father's.  My mother's favorite color was blue and she always had them growing up the back porch. 

mothermitzi

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

[QUOTE]Happy Saturday everybody.  How are the diets going?  I was good all last week - not one sweet.  However, today I am going to brunch and will have whatever I want, including one or two bloody marys.  When I was actively dieting, I only lost one or two pounds a week anyway.  It was gradual but worth sticking to. The hardest part is keeping up with the exercise. Hope to go back to Mahoney's today or tomorrow and get herbs for the deck. Already have a tomato in the upside down planter and hungarian peppers in a large container.  My morning glory seeds are soaking. I'll plant them tomorrow. I like going to the nursery on a day like this because when it's sunny, it's too hot inside the greenhouse. We'll see what they have today.  Enjoy the day. mothermitzi   
    Posted by mothermitzi[/QUOTE]

You may just have been at Mahoney's buying your herbs at the same time as G.T.  Just got an email from him and they went to Russell's and Mahoney's on Sunday to buy some purple/black and yellow/orange/red heirloom tomatoes and some herbs.  He plants them right in the flowering gardens and they seem to thrive - well, anything he plants seems to thrive anyway.  -  Small world.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hi mothermitzy,

I googles Morning Glories and found this interesting read. No wonder Popeye likes spinach - maybe he was eating water spinach! LOL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morning_glory

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Gee thanks Pingo...That was a very interesting read

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning, all Chatters, wherever you all may be - - - 

All this rain is bursting into bloom all the flowering plants in my yard, azaleas, forsythia, tulips, grape hyacinths, lilacs,and now yesterday my wisteria.  It looks so beautiful when I get up and look out the back slider in the morning.  All that would make it complete is my purple gazing ball amongst the hyacinths along the path up to the buddha.  The flowering bush that will hide it from the little boy next door, is just now starting to blossom, so I have to wait a few more days.  Otherwise, I'm sure I'll come home one day and find it smashed - she has absolutely no control over him - or herself - for that matter.  It resulted last week in my speaking to her first and then calling the police.  The two children were whacking her in the face and over the head, knocking her glasses off, with large plastic bats.  Instead of taking the bats away from them, she was screaming and cowering on the deck trying to cover her face.  I went out and asked her if she was alright and she groaned, "Noooo".  I told her if she didn't put a stop to it I was going to call the police. She didn't, and I did. I'm not sure there isn't something wrong with her also, her reactions are not the normal ones you'd expect.  One week he got into a filthy trash barrel and when she couldn't get him out, she took a second barrel and put it over on top of him, then got on the phone screaming, and threw the phone to the ground.  Not a healthy situation over there.  I will give the police credit, they did stay there quite a while.  Maybe that was enough to make some changes.  It's been quiet over there since. 

Other than that, it's a lovely neighborhood!

Pop in and let me know what's going on with you this drizzly day.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

[QUOTE]Good morning, all Chatters, wherever you all may be - - -  All this rain is bursting into bloom all the flowering plants in my yard, azaleas, forsythia, tulips, grape hyacinths, and now yesterday my wisteria.  It looks so beautiful when I get up and look out the back slider in the morning.  All that would make it complete is my purple gazing ball amongst the hyacinths along the path up to the buddha.  The flowering bush that will hide it from the little boy next door, is just now starting to blossom, so I have to wait a few more days.  Otherwise, I'm sure I'll come home one day and find it smashed - she has absolutely no control over him - or herself - for that matter.  It resulted last week in my speaking to her first and then calling the police.  The two children were whacking her in the face and over the head, knocking her glasses off, with large plastic bats.  Instead of taking the bats away from them, she was screaming and cowering on the deck trying to cover her face.  I went out and asked her if she was alright and she groaned, "Noooo".  I told her if she didn't put a stop to it I was going to call the police. She didn't, and I did. I'm not sure there isn't something wrong with her also, her reactions are not the normal ones you'd expect.  One week he got into a filthy trash barrel and when she couldn't get him out, she took a second barrel and put it over on top of him, then got on the phone screaming, and threw the phone to the ground.  Not a healthy situation over there.  I will give the police credit, they did stay there quite a while.  Maybe that was enough to make some changes.  It's been quiet over there since.  Other than that, it's a lovely neighborhood! Pop in and let me know what's going on with you this drizzly day.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

H TT
    what a neighborhood.  Flowers sound nice though. I don't know who sounds crazier, the boys or their mother.

Around here?  just hot  100+   Summer has arrived, with a vengeance.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi tt -

Wow, sounds like a very serious situation.  I think you did the right thing by calling the police.  Sounds like the mother is not dealing with a full deck.  Is this woman living alone or is their another parent involved?  I never heard you mention these neighbors before.  Are they new in the neighborhood?  Indeed, I hope the kids don't ruin your yard.  

Not much new here.  Busy week at work.  Last night, I had fiddleheads.  I always forget about this springtime treat until I see them in the store.  Unlike native corn, which I dream about all year!  

mothermitzi

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Mothermitzi and Ken,

My mother used to get fiddleheads, in fact, used to pick them.  I forget how she cooked them tho.  Do you just steam them?  I find more and more of the things I used to scrunch my face up at when I was a kid, I'm trying now and liking.

Yes, these neighbors moved in in the Fall.  There are two parents and two kids, a 4 year old boy and a little girl I would say is around 8.  I am concerned, I'm not sure the mother is completely competent either.  At first I attributed it to the stress of dealing with a child like this on a full time basis, but now, I sometimes feel like it's a home where the mentally challenged are taking care of the mentally challenged. 

You know, Ken, I've lived here 44 years, brought up 4 boys here, along with other families, both young and old, and this is the first time I've ever seen the police called to this neighborhood.  I really felt it was necessary because it's an ongoing situation.  If there IS something wrong there, it may help to bring it to their attention and at least have a report on file. 

Went to T.J.'s yesterday and picked up a spinach pie in filo dough.  Treated myself to a piece last night for supper.  Got some sweet and sour shrimp and rice too that I'm dying to try.  Still sticking to the S.B. as closely as I can, mainly eliminating the sweets.  I'm hopeful that next Monday will show a few more pounds that have dropped off.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, toy!

To cook fiddleheads, you shouldn't just steam them, although I've read online that you can steam or sauté them.  What you should do is boil them twice, discarding the water and starting over for the second boil.  I think we did it 10 minutes each boil.  This gets rid of a mild toxin that causes stomach upset.  It doesn't make them mushy or anything, they're great.  I'm an experienced home chef who doesn't boil veggies, in general.

Our day lilies are coming up in grand style - about 1/2 way.  We have about 35 of them lining the front yard on the rock retaining wall along the driveway.  Can't wait 'til they start blooming, but we have a while to go for that.

The early veggies in the garden are coming up, and last year's asparagus has started poking through, too. 

Happy Spring, all!

~kar

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks, Kargiver.  I'll look for them next week when I do my shopping.

Your post made me take a second look to see how my lilies are coming.  The iris are up, tho no buds yet.  I have the small purple wood iris along my driveway and I just love those.  I think they are my very favorite flower.  Groups of the regular yellow and purple iris out back.  Lots of moonflower shoots are up too, and of course, the hostas are loving all this rain and look magnificent right now - I hate them when they get to the flowering stage.  Checked the cactus and that has survived another winter.  Mine doesn't seem to grow and expand as much as my son's.  His is a beauty.  Even the little apple tree out back has blossoms this morning.  I keep it for its looks and for the birds, apples are practically non existent, and were never any good anyway.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'll find out exactly how long to boil them each time, tt.  Whole Foods carries them when they are available.

Oh, yes, the apples trees are in blossom as well as our peach tree.  We have to chase off the birds; we have a very realistic looking owl out there that seems to work pretty well. It could fool anyone into thinking we have a pet owl. :)  Our hostas are coming up, too, and I'm also not a fan of their blooms - they're so spindly. Last year, golf ball sized hail plowed right through all the layers of leaves on the hostas leaving gaping holes all the way down to the ground.  It will be nice to have fresh, non-damaged ones this year!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

[QUOTE]I'll find out exactly how long to boil them each time, tt.  Whole Foods carries them when they are available. Oh, yes, the apples trees are in blossom as well as our peach tree.  We have to chase off the birds; we have a very realistic looking owl out there that seems to work pretty well. It could fool anyone into thinking we have a pet owl. :)  Our hostas are coming up, too, and I'm also not a fan of their blooms - they're so spindly. Last year, golf ball sized hail plowed right through all the layers of leaves on the hostas leaving gaping holes all the way down to the ground.  It will be nice to have fresh, non-damaged ones this year!
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Aren't fiddleheads the tips of ferns?   You mean you can eat those?  WHY?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The most popular ones are the tips of Ostrich ferns, and yes, they are delicious if you like asperagus.  They don't taste exactly the same, but similar enough for rough comparison.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

[QUOTE]Hi Mothermitzi and Ken, My mother used to get fiddleheads, in fact, used to pick them.  I forget how she cooked them tho.  Do you just steam them?  I find more and more of the things I used to scrunch my face up at when I was a kid, I'm trying now and liking. Yes, these neighbors moved in in the Fall.  There are two parents and two kids, a 4 year old boy and a little girl I would say is around 8.  I am concerned, I'm not sure the mother is completely competent either.  At first I attributed it to the stress of dealing with a child like this on a full time basis, but now, I sometimes feel like it's a home where the mentally challenged are taking care of the mentally challenged.  You know, Ken, I've lived here 44 years, brought up 4 boys here, along with other families, both young and old, and this is the first time I've ever seen the police called to this neighborhood.  I really felt it was necessary because it's an ongoing situation.  If there IS something wrong there, it may help to bring it to their attention and at least have a report on file.  Went to T.J.'s yesterday and picked up a spinach pie in filo dough.  Treated myself to a piece last night for supper.  Got some sweet and sour shrimp and rice too that I'm dying to try.  Still sticking to the S.B. as closely as I can, mainly eliminating the sweets.  I'm hopeful that next Monday will show a few more pounds that have dropped off.

Hi tt -

I boil the fiddleheads for a minute or two and blanch them. Then, I saute in a bit of olive oil, garlic and lemon juice.  They turn out crunchy, just the way I like them.  I don't think they tatse like asparagus.  I find the taste mild.  Interpretation is a funny thing!

mothermitzi

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks, mothermitzi.  You're right, everyone has their own perception of how things taste.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

[QUOTE]Aren't fiddleheads the tips of ferns?   You mean you can eat those?  WHY?
    Posted by Ken1935[/QUOTE]

My mother grew up on a farm in Maine - they made use of everything, in fact, the fiddleheads were considered a delicacy by my mother.  Never tried them yet, Ken, but I'll let you know in another week or two.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

[QUOTE]My mother grew up on a farm in Maine - they made use of everything, in fact, the fiddleheads were considered a delicacy by my mother.  Never tried them yet, Ken, but I'll let you know in another week or two.

Shaw's considers them a delicacy, too, at $5 per pound!  

mothermitzi

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning, Pingo

I know you still have company, but we've missed your posts.  I see you did chat a little with your friend, Johnnath on the Food thread yesterday. Some scrumptious meals have been served at your house, I'm sure.  It's most likely been a very busy week for you, but hope you will post a few lines.  Their visit must be just about up. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning tt and everyone else,
    I have been out of the loop for a few days - due to company. This morning Mr. P took his brother and his wife to upstate NY coming back tomorrow, so I will have 2 days to myself. YEAH!
    tt, as far as weightloss is concerned - don't worry, I didn't loose anything this week, but didn't gain anything either. So status quo from last week.
    I read about your incident with your next door neighbor. I am so sorry you had to deal with that. But I applaud you for calling the police.
    However, you only saw, what is happening OUTSIDE the house. What is going on inside? Maybe the little boy learned from his Dad????? Is he beating up his wife? You did a good deed. This woman sounds like a nut house. Maybe there is more to the story than we know. - Hopefully they will now have a "watch" over  her and her family and they will get the help they need.
    It is never pleasant to get involved with neighborly conflicts. Best to you my dear. - Pingo

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thank you tt for your sweet "missing you". I missed you guys too. But lots of things have been going on here. My BIL and his wife are not the easiest company to have around, but I am managing.
    They are leaving Monday. But Wednesday we will be going to LA for our son's graduation. So, I will be out again. But not to worry, I do think of all of you. Especially putt and your DIL going through hard times.
    Bless you all. Love ya - Pingo

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Thank you tt for your sweet "missing you". I missed you guys too. But lots of things have been going on here. My BIL and his wife are not the easiest company to have around, but I am managing. They are leaving Monday. But Wednesday we will be going to LA for our son's graduation. So, I will be out again. But not to worry, I do think of all of you. Especially putt and your DIL going through hard times. Bless you all. Love ya - Pingo
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

We all miss you, pingo!  I've been wondering how that visit was going.  Happy travels, Hon.

~kar

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Wait, Pingo

You still have Sat, Sun, Mon and Tues to post to us -- don't say "goodbye" just yet!  What a happy day your son's graduation will be.  When you're first looking ahead it seems so long in coming, and then, poof, it's here.

I'm really not concerned about the pound numbers, I do feel lighter and I know I am eating healthier, so I'll keep going along on the same path as I am at present.  Have made delicious salads for lunch the past couple of days - lettuce, cuke with a dollop of cottage cheese in the middle and sliced fresh pineapple and strawberries around the edge.  Scrumptious.  Plan on having another piece of the spinach pie tonight and then I'll freeze the rest in individual containers.  Last night had some cabbage/tomato/carrot/onion soup I had frozen.  Was a good dreary day for it.

As for my DIL who is undergoing chemo, she told me last night she had made her last 3 infusion appts.  Then she's done with that part of the treatment.  A very long 9 months.  She and my son will be down Sunday along with G.T. and we'll go out for Mother's Day.  A lot to celebrate and be thankful for. 

How are you going to spend your 2 "free" days?  Today is a great day to just lounge outside and enjoy the beautiful weather.  Have the windows open in the rooms, and the cat is excitedly going from window sill to window sill.  I'm sure the fresh air smells so good to her. I may sit out back and read a little later on.  Already cleaned the bathroom and washed the hall and kitchen floors.  Getting ready for another of those special salads.  Love the fresh pineapple. 

Enjoy - whatever you decide to do.