May Weekday Chats`

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: May Weekday Chats`

Walked past an extra 3 houses today, for 5 minutes down and 5 back.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

MM
    Yes, this is graduation week. Today at church they honored the graduating H.S. seniors, 32 of them all in their caps and gowns. And my grandaughter in GA graduates this coming Friday and we will be there for that.

I bet it was nice walking along the Charles this time of year.

TT
    Good for you, another 2 minutes.  Way to go...try for 6 each way next time?
    I'll have you doing a mile pretty soon.

In a few minutes we will be leaving for dinner (lunch time) to eat at Macaroni Grill, one of our favorite Italian restaurants.

Hope you all have a great Sunday

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

[QUOTE]Walked past an extra 3 houses today, for 5 minutes down and 5 back.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

Hi TT -

Happy Sunday to you.  Good for you walking!  It's all about doing as much as you can, when you can. I give you a lot of credit, especially with your knee issues and sciatica.  This has been a good weekend for me diet wise.  I know I will be eating out a lot in California, and with a dinner scheduled at my cousin's house, not to mention the wedding (cake!) I am watching it now.  For lunch, I had tuna, mixed with cottage cheese on a whole wheat English muffin.  A year ago, I would have said "Never!"  If I see something I want when I eat out, I don't deny myself, although I usually skip the bread and dessert.  Lunch is no problem, because just about every restaurant in the country has a caesar salad with grilled chicken or shrimp on top, and I like that.  

Took a nice walk this morning.  Was stopped by no less than three groups asking me to take photos along the river. The enthusiasm of the graduates is nice to see.  The groups were from Korea, Japan and Hungary and all went to MIT. I have the Sox game on now.  Not much on tonight.  That's ok.  I have today's paper and a book my brother gave me to read.

mothermitzi    

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

[QUOTE]MM Yes, this is graduation week. Today at church they honored the graduating H.S. seniors, 32 of them all in their caps and gowns. And my grandaughter in GA graduates this coming Friday and we will be there for that. I bet it was nice walking along the Charles this time of year. TT Good for you, another 2 minutes.  Way to go...try for 6 each way next time? I'll have you doing a mile pretty soon. In a few minutes we will be leaving for dinner (lunch time) to eat at Macaroni Grill, one of our favorite Italian restaurants. Hope you all have a great Sunday
    Posted by Ken1935[/QUOTE]

Hi Ken -

How nice that you will be with your granddaughter as she graduates.  Is this high school or college?  Yes, it was a nice day to walk.  When it's cool, I can go at a pretty good clip.  Today was on the cool side but no wind.  Makes it easier.  Enjoy your dinner out.

mothermitzi 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

[QUOTE]Hi mothermitzi So glad the ceremony at St. Anselm's was yesterday and not today. We do need the rain and it gives us a good excuse to be lazy, not that I need any excuses seeing as I've been retired awhile.  I'm not sure I could go back to the same place in Aruba my husband and I visited. It's all couples that we have seen for the past ten years.  I'm getting that 5th wheel syndrome already besides all the memories.  This poor cat that ate the angel food cake is 16 years old, eats anything and skinny as a rail.  We all feel so sorry for him.  If I had known he liked angel cake I would have fixed him a plate.  Not much going on today - spent yesterday watching Hallmark movies - going to a friend's house for dinner tonight.  She loves to cook but knows I dont like showing up empty handed so I'll do a cheese plate and wine. Enjoy the day putt
    Posted by putt1[/QUOTE]

Hi putt -

I know what you mean about the fifth wheel thing.  I never understood that.  I have to say it's usually silly women who feel threatened when there is another available woman in the group.   Just at a time when you need the comfort of friends, too.  Well, the friends who are "real" will stand by and include you. Enjoy your dinner. Thank goodness wine (red anyway) is ok on most diets.  

I'm going to sit down and watch the rest of the Sox game.  Just remembered the Celtics are on tonight, too.  Take care.  I hope your painter shows up next week.

mothermitzi  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Hello All...Putt This week upcoming looks pretty dry...great for outside painting!

TT you mentioned about phonics...I learned something interesting...my SIL is an educator, and recently they have been discussing the need or lack of need to teach cursive writing...besides a signature...that if you are in business that is also done digitally...there is a discussion of how necessary this education really is.

I think your L8er post is evidence that a  new phonics is emerging...even in this post...we all know what SIL is..but I didn't ...say 2 years ago

MM I was watching the game but Honey is working on our bathroom so I feel guilty...He is putting down the tile

BTW..Thank you for anyone who helped out with the tile decision...we went with something that looks like marble but is much better for our collective needs

Ken...I like the jokes but do question the window that may be opened here. Joking is always riddled with the possibilty to offend....pun intended

I'll be floating in and out
    TTYS
    IcerCool

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Happy Sunday,

Mothermitzi, my back and knee pain have been non existent this past week, hence I can try to start walking again.  A friend suggested I start doing old exercises before getting out of bed mornings - exercises that I did when I had gone for physical therapy several years ago.  I do think they have helped, and mean to tell her so.  The sciatica seems to be set off particularly when I try to climb into a van.  It's funny, my son just called tonight asking me to watch the kids one night this week for several hours. I told him I'll bring along my step stool to get in and out of their van.  My DIL will have to act as "footman" and scoop the stool up after I get in!

Have to get out in the next few days and buy and plant flowers at the cemetery.  Can't believe Memorial Day is almost here.

DIL has had another setback - had a biopsy done and should hear about that tomorrow.  I'm so worried about her.  I pray it comes back clear.  She is doing such a grand job continuing along normally with her life and activities, and not letting this get her down.  Never complains.

Well, it's time for a cuppa for me, and try to relax.  Two of my closest friends are going through medical difficulties that seem to be defying treatment.  One doesn't use common sense in taking care of herself, but doesn't want to hear that.  I'm looking forward to getting together for lunch later in the week, with girls I used to work with.  Hope they are all well, and we can just sit and laugh about silly nothings.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Icer

I hear what you are saying about the jokes. I shall try to be very discreet, and I don't feel I have to do them all the time, just once in awhile to liven things up. You know our lives tend to get rather routine sometimes.

Grandaughter is graduating from H.S.   WIfe and I live Wed and well return following Wed. I should be able to get on line from there with my lap top, after all, my son is a computer Techy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"TT you mentioned about phonics...I learned something interesting...my SIL is an educator, and recently they have been discussing the need or lack of need to teach cursive writing...besides a signature...that if you are in business that is also done digitally...there is a discussion of how necessary this education really is.

I think your L8er post is evidence that a  new phonics is emerging...even in this post...we all know what SIL is..but I didn't ...say 2 years ago"

Good morning, Icer

How sad to think of people no longer hand writing notes or letters.  And, I think the shorthand of made up spelling will be the downfall of people being actually able to spell anymore.  At one point when I was working, I took a speedwriting course to help with dictation, since my boss was a stickler for wanting to personally dictate while I sat there and took it down.  Let me tell you, it threw me some loops as far as remembering "i before e, except after c, or when sounded as a, as in neighbor or weigh"!  All those rhymes took so long for me to remember as a kid, and now with the speedwriting, they were being wiped out!  I admit I use the computer to knock out a long letter to once or twice a year people I keep in touch with, but love getting a handwritten reply from them.  Practice makes perfect, as far as handwriting is concerned, and it's a lovely sight to see well rounded loops and a writing slant that all goes in the same direction.

Just a thought - - -

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Good morning tt

I will keep your daughter in law in my thoughts and prayers .  She has been such a trooper throughout this process I just wish her and the family the best.

putt

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Hi everyone

Keep your fingers crossed the painter shows up today - course, it's a bit chilly so he may use that as an excuse.  The people next door are having their house done as well.  They started two weeks after mine and it's just about finished.  However, they have three men doing the work.  Next time I'll hire them.

Mothermitzi - I just feel like a fifth wheel because they are all couples and I am no longer a couple.  Just my hang up I guess.  Nothing they have said or done and they are all old friends but it seems very different now.

Got several gift certificates for Mother's Day so may head to the mall and get something nice for summer. 

Hope everyone has a great day.

putt

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just got a call from my DIL and biopsy was benign.  She'll go in tomorrow for a procedure, but that will be a piece of cake compared to what it could have been.  Now waiting to hear how one of my friend's makes out today with getting results of testing from her doctor later this afternoon.  These two friends are a good 8 years younger than I am, but inherited genes are giving them both a rough time of it early on.

Thanks for your prayers, Putt.  I'm off to buy some flowers

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi tt -

Fell asleep early last night and just saw the post about your DIL.  I'm so glad the biopsy is benign.  She has remained on my prayer list and will continue to do so. I hope your friend is ok, too.  I have similar issues with two friends.  One awaiting results and the other about to undergo cardiac surgery. I thank my lucky stars I have made it this far with no major issues.  

Well, have to run.  I have to cram five days of work into three this week.

mothermitzi

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

[QUOTE]Hi everyone Keep your fingers crossed the painter shows up today - course, it's a bit chilly so he may use that as an excuse.  The people next door are having their house done as well.  They started two weeks after mine and it's just about finished.  However, they have three men doing the work.  Next time I'll hire them. Mothermitzi - I just feel like a fifth wheel because they are all couples and I am no longer a couple.  Just my hang up I guess.  Nothing they have said or done and they are all old friends but it seems very different now. Got several gift certificates for Mother's Day so may head to the mall and get something nice for summer.  Hope everyone has a great day. putt
    Posted by putt1[/QUOTE]

Dear Putt,

in every group, someone has to be the first.  It's sad that you were the first to lose your partner in your group of Aruba couples.  But the reality is "it's a cruel world, and few of us get out of it alive" as my grandmother used to say!  You may be the first to become a widow/widower but you won't be the last.

My mother was the first of her group to die, and thank heaven that my Dad, who can not make new friends and refuses to move to be near to any of us, has the (now remanants) of their group to depend on for the occasional dinner, trips to doctors, etc.

Do you have a friend in that group whom you are particularly close to whom you can discuss your feelings and can depend on to invite you to things - sort of like a sponsor within the group?  Someone who could understand that if all the single women get cut out of the herd at the beginning, at the end there will be no one left?  Because if you can stick with the group, then when other people start loosing their partners,  the singletons of both sexes could be great supports for each other!  In any case, I think you should steel yourself to make an attempt to keep up the friendship.  Remember, "nothing ventured, nothing gained!"  If these people all meet in Aruba, you will never see them again if you don't go back at least once.  If they do cut you out, well, at least you don't give them the excuse of saying "we didn't do it, she just disappeared...."  Ken might like this analogy better - "You can't get a hit if you don't get up to bat!"

Do any of you other Chatters have suggestions?

With great hope for your future,

Hats

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi hats -

I think you make some very good points, and you do so with a bit of humor, which is important.  I cannot speak for putt, but it may be too soon for her to return to Aruba.  The memories may be too fresh. Maybe in a couple of years.  A short vacation to a new spot with a good friend may be an idea.  That way, if things don't work out, she's not stuck with that person for a month or two.  Putt, you never really asked for our advice, but here we are giving it to you anyway!

mothermitzi

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Putt,

I can't imagine what my dear wife will do if I pass away first because she is not the outgoing type of person. But we have made some good friends our age in the church we attend. They have an old folks group called J.O.Y....just older youth, and we are kind of active.  They take trips together, and have their own Bible study. ANd besides, she still has the LA Fitness to go to where she gets to meet people and talk while she works out.

As for me, if she goes first, I think I make friends very easily and would not even mind being around other married couples.

I guess it depends upon one's personality. The gregarious type of person can always go out and make new friends.

The shy, stay-at-home body will have more difficulty.

But by all means, you go to go to bat. THe more you keep to yourself, the harder it is to get out.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Hi Ken

Good to hear from you.  Fortunately, I make friends easily,  like meeting new people, enjoy taking classes, and will never be alone.  I just feel that for 51 years I have been a couple and for right now seem to be more comfortable with the girls.  That's not to say I will not be around men but going back to friends who are still together, walking the beach holding hands and doing all the things that old married couples do is very difficult to imagine.  On the other hand, my husband was very much of a homebody, would never join anything but I think he would continue with his Aruba vacations and get togethers with our friends.

Time will tell but thank you for your input.

putt

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

[QUOTE]Just got a call from my DIL and biopsy was benign.  She'll go in tomorrow for a procedure, but that will be a piece of cake compared to what it could have been.  Now waiting to hear how one of my friend's makes out today with getting results of testing from her doctor later this afternoon.  These two friends are a good 8 years younger than I am, but inherited genes are giving them both a rough time of it early on. Thanks for your prayers, Putt.  I'm off to buy some flowers

So happy about the biopsy - it has been on my mind tt.  Anxious to hear about your friends -

putt

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

[QUOTE]Hi hats - I think you make some very good points, and you do so with a bit of humor, which is important.  I cannot speak for putt, but it may be too soon for her to return to Aruba.  The memories may be too fresh. Maybe in a couple of years.  A short vacation to a new spot with a good friend may be an idea.  That way, if things don't work out, she's not stuck with that person for a month or two.  Putt, you never really asked for our advice, but here we are giving it to you anyway! mothermitzi
    Posted by mothermitzi[/QUOTE]

Hi mothermitzi

Thank heaven for you and all my board friends - we are always here for each other.

putt

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Putt,

I understand what you mean by feeling like a 5th wheel - two work friends both lost their husbands suddenly, and expressed the same feeling.  In one case, my friend was at loose ends for a year or so, since her group (a large one) was very couple oriented and the husbands and wives did everything together.  It was hard for her to find a "girlfriend" to go out and do something with alone, particularly on the week-ends.  Within a year, one of her closest friends' husband also passed away, and the two of them shared in each other's company and feelings.  My other friend has not expanded her social group, but continues to go out with the couples remaining. They always include her in their plans, especially over holidays (as I'm sure yours do and will, as well as your family), but she told me just the other day that she still has that feeling of missing an arm or leg.

I've no doubt you'll find your comfortable spot in all this.  You seem to be involved in outside activities, and look, you went on that cruise by your lonesome. It will all take time, and as I said before, I think you are doing remarkably well.  I agree with Mothermitzi that a shorter vacation with a friend, is the way to start off, not a two month commitment that you may decide is not working out the way you expected.

"One day at a time" is good advice for more than alcoholics.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

[QUOTE]Hi Putt, I understand what you mean by feeling like a 5th wheel - two work friends both lost their husbands suddenly, and expressed the same feeling.  In one case, my friend was at loose ends for a year or so, since her group (a large one) was very couple oriented and the husbands and wives did everything together.  It was hard for her to find a "girlfriend" to go out and do something with alone, particularly on the week-ends.  Within a year, one of her closest friends' husband also passed away, and the two of them shared in each other's company and feelings.  My other friend has not expanded her social group, but continues to go out with the couples remaining. They always include her in their plans, especially over holidays (as I'm sure yours do and will, as well as your family), but she told me just the other day that she still has that feeling of missing an arm or leg. I've no doubt you'll find your comfortable spot in all this.  You seem to be involved in outside activities, and look, you went on that cruise by your lonesome. It will all take time, and as I said before, I think you are doing remarkably well.  I agree with Mothermitzi that a shorter vacation with a friend, is the way to start off, not a two month commitment that you may decide is not working out the way you expected. "One day at a time" is good advice for more than alcoholics.

Good advice - thank you tt

putt

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Before the day gets away from me, and before you become too busy to check the boards, want to wish you a safe trip, Mothermitzi.  The weather here for the rest of the week looks great, and hope it will be in CA for you and your family also.

Never did get to watch the kids last night, my son had gone back to work the night before, but was so uncomfortable he decided to take one more night off.  So I got a reprieve at the last minute, which I was glad of.  Had had a jam packed day up til then, and was glad to use a couple of hours instead, to visit one of my friends who is not feeling well.  Hoping to get to the cemetary today.  Left a message on another son's phone a couple of days ago asking if he could go with me and do the actual planting since I can't kneel.  Haven't heard back from him, but he is off today, so I have everything ready, and am hoping.

Was talking to the man who painted my bulkhead yesterday, about the situation with the new family next door.  I wonder if she was doing daycare - haven't seen any kids in the yard since then, not even on the week-end.  Hope it's cleared up for the summer.  If she was a daycare worker, she certainly wasn't/isn't qualified.  I wouldn't want her in charge of any kids of mine.

On that nice note, I'll close and get my cereal ready.  Bought some strawberries to slice on top, and now realize I didn't check their place of origin.  Hope it's USA, I'm usually so careful - was of the peppers I bought, but guess these big beautiful berries just looked like CA to me!  I'm sure the label will tell.  Have a good day everyone.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning again tt,
    Could be that your neighbor had opend her home for day care. But if she had, she had to be licensed and there are very strict regulations. Possibly your call to  the police the other day, made someone look into her doings.
    I am hoping that is the case for you. Or maybe her kids have gone to summer camp somewhere. Whatever - enjoy the peace, while it last. - Pingo

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Morning mothermitzy,
    You must be busy packing for both your father and yourself. Hope you will have a wonderful trip to CA. I am sure your father is looking forward to the wedding and to meet with all the family members.
    We made it back w/o the flu. But we were all deligently washing hands and I brought several packs of wipes with me. However, I think it is just as bad here in MA now. Just read they shut down Boston Latin for a week because too many children are out and they have at least one comfirmed case of the flu.
    In any case enjoy yourself. Looking forward to hear all about the wedding, when you get back - Pingo

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

It's now 7:28 a.m. and about 4 hours we will be in the air on the way to Atlanta.
    I might get one while there, but no promises....

see y'all l8tr