May Weekday Chats`

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: May Weekday Chats`

Ken, I am aware you will not read this post until you return. But your excitement of visiting your son spills over. I am so happy for you. You sounds just like a little kid in a candy store - and I don't blame you. This is the feeling I have whenever I am on my way to visit my sons.
    We will miss you here, so please come back happy and healthy.
    My best to you and Mrs. Ken - Pingo

PS. I saw

It's now 7:28 a.m. and about 4 hours we will be in the air on the way to Atlanta. I might get one while there, but no promises.... see y'all l8tr
    Posted by Ken1935

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Hi mothermitzi and ken

Have a safe and wonderful trip!

putt

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi Everybody -

I want to check in before we leave in the morning.  Thank you all for your good wishes.  I have not been able to post much this week. It has been crazy, between work and getting my father and myself ready.  However, we are ready to go!

I hope to have many happy stories to post when I return. Thanks again and enjoy what looks like a nice weekend around here.

Happy Memorial Day everybody!

mothermitzi

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Surprise....I am in Cumming, GA. We had a beautiful flight and now am enjoying my son and his 4 girls, ages 4-20.     oh yes, and my charming daughter in law tooCool
    but I note the weather in Boston is HOT,,,,and only 60's and rain right now. But alas, it is a break from the 100's in Phoenix.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning, Ken

Glad you both arrived safely.  What day does your granddaughter graduate?  Hope it will be a comfortable, sunny day.  We're due for the 80's today, I believe.  Haven't stuck my nose out the door as yet (just got up), but it's sunny and looks beautiful.

Have a wonderful time with your son and his family, and come back with stories to tell us.  We all live vicariously through each other's trips, you know!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Good morning, Ken Glad you both arrived safely.  What day does your granddaughter graduate?  Hope it will be a comfortable, sunny day.  We're due for the 80's today, I believe.  Haven't stuck my nose out the door as yet (just got up), but it's sunny and looks beautiful. Have a wonderful time with your son and his family, and come back with stories to tell us.  We all live vicariously through each other's trips, you know!
    Posted by toytrumpet

Graduation is Sat. 30% chance of rain, but we will be under cover, so OK.
    Front page of BDC said itwas 90 in Boston.
    THe change of time zone is horrible.  They got the girls up to go to school ast 6,  but my watch still said 3     UGH. I am still on Phoenix time.Frown

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Graduation is Sat. 30% chance of rain, but we will be under cover, so OK. Front page of BDC said itwas 90 in Boston. THe change of time zone is horrible.  They got the girls up to go to school ast 6,  but my watch still said 3     UGH. I am still on Phoenix time.
    Posted by Ken1935

I am with you on the time change Ken...Honey and I went to Vegas once and it took me 5 days to get right. The only thing I could not find in Vegas at 5:00 a.m. (Vegas time) was a cuppa....but I could get a Martini

Anyway...Enjoy the graduation...these are the memories that tie us together. Treasure every moment

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Yeah, the time changes are always hard.

Perhaps it's due to get to the 90's later today, but I just put the trash out (in my flannel robe) and believe me, it's only about 70.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good mornig Ken,
    Happy to see you and Mrs. Ken arrived safely in GA. Yes, we are having low 90tieth today - Ugh!
    Glad you found your son's computer. I felt like I was "without an arm", when I went to CA, even though there were plenty of lab tops around. I just didn't have the energy to use them. I was so busy doing a lot of other stuff, and dropped "dead" on my bed at night. But I missed my e-mail, my Chat and the news. (Had over 500 e-mails, when I got back. Except for a few - all junk).
    Hope the weather hold up for the graduation. Even though you are under cover - sunshine always add to the festivities. Thanks for checking in w/ us.
    Have a great stay and my best to you and your family. I am sure Mrs. Ken must be elated. - Pingo

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

icer
    i cannot make out what your new avatar is.   looks like a sink?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

icer i cannot make out what your new avatar is.   looks like a sink?
    Posted by Ken1935

Yes Ken It is part of our new bathroom ...It is a sink...I posted an explaination on the "Back from LA" thread

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Had a nice leisurely, long lunch with "the girls" today, and did have a lot of good belly laughs.  Then came home to a message from my son that there seems to be a complication to procedure he had done a week and a half ago, and he has to be seen again tomorrow.  -  Life keeps going whether you're ready for it or not.

Good thing I stopped at Peppridge Farm on the way home and picked up one of their orange frosted cakes to reward myself with a little sliver for being so good.  Believe you me, after hearing the phone message I cut a SLAB the length of the cake, and enjoyed every minute of it!  I'll have to freeze the rest of it to hide it from myself over the next couple of days.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh tt, I am so sorry to hear there were complications with your son's procedure. I am hoping they will be able to fix it quickly w/o too much pain involved.
    But I know as a mother you are worried. Sometimes things does not go the way we want them to go. I just hope this is nothing serious. Best to you and your son. I would be a nervous rack in your situation. - Pingo

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Yes Ken It is part of our new bathroom ...It is a sink...I posted an explaination on the "Back from LA" thread
    Posted by icer

Yes, now  I recall your talking about  it

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

I see now why rearing children is made only for young people...I could  not take the confusion, pressure  etc...problems any more
    that is the  best part about being a grand parent....You get to leave.
    Today two of the girls are on theiir last day of school, oldest is on Sr. outing to 6 flags, and youngest is with my wife and her parents...doing  a woman's favorite thing, so I have been told.......shopping. and I get some peace and quiet

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning Ken,
    Nice to see you are able to post from GA. I have no grandchildren yet. Just hoping! But we have on several occasions watch over my nieces' and nephew's children. I love them all dearly, but I tell you it is a challenge. I enjoy having them here for a few hours, but I am also glad, when it is over. After they leave, I usually collapse.
    I do think though, that the young ones are testing us. One of my niece's sons - now 8 years old - is always "hungry". I know his mother does not allow him to have any sugary stuff. So, when he comes here he wants cookies, ice cream, sodas. Things he is not allowed to have at home.
    One time when they were with us, we took them to the Aquarium in Boston and thereafter to ice cream in Fanueil  Hall. Ice cream BEFORE dinner. I still hear about it.
    Hope you are enjoying your stay w/ your family.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Today is graduation day, everyone getting  dressed up. Me,I just wear nice shorts and a colorful shirt. We are supposed to leave in about 20 minutes, I bet we don't. My son is going to be late for his own funeral. :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Good morning board friends

Hope everyone has fun plans for the weekend - we are going to the parade on Monday and then having a cookout at my house. 

The latest update on my "painter man"  - I asked him very nicely a week ago if he could finish the front of the house before Sunday to include the window trim as we are hanging a new Marine flag on my husband's birthday.  He promised everything would be done by today.  Guess what!  It is now 11:50 and there is no sign of him.  My blood pressure must be through the overhead.  I have sent emails, left phone messages and even called his mother as a last resort. I even paid him more then he required because he was supposed to be hiring help.  I have a feeling this will be the beginning of another two year hiatus. 

Enjoy the day - thanks for letting me vent.

putt

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Oh Putt, what can I say?  I guess to take a line from Dr. Phil - "Past behaviour is an indicator of future behavior".  Perhaps you're a little too kind hearted when it comes to that side of the family.  They seem to continually not follow through as promised.  Try to relax and enjoy the company of your family.  Would a "man to man" from your son to him do any good?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Sorry putt to hear about your painting problems. Being in business, we have been hurt multiple times by friends and family. Someone looses his or her job, come crying to Mr. P and his good heart will find them something to do in order to get them a pay check to take home. Hiring friends and family DOES NOT WORK. We have stopped that practise all together.
    I am hoping the guy shows up later today. So at least you can get rid of the tarps, buckets and such before your cook out.
    Young son came last night and is setting up my new computer (an iMac). I know, I have to learn to use it - so I am worried. My old computer (PC) is dying, but I have gotten used to it. 
    Last night we had Tacos. Today I am cooking lobsters for him. Something we always did on Memorial Day. They are at a good price right now - so I am hoping to pick up some this afternoon.
    Have a nice cook out - with or without the paint. - Pingo

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Hi tt and pingo

Thanks so much for your support.  Never again will I try and help the family.

My nephew finally showed up at 12:30 and brought his brother along  - according to my mother the "painter man" cannot go up on a ladder without someone holding it.  What???  Maybe he shouldnt be in the business.  My son took me to lunch and we just got home - the boys are having lunch at the picnic table.  I
    certainly dont begrudge them that.  Will keep you posted.

tt - my son offered to talk to my nephew but I decided to wait and see how the day progressed.  If it did turn sour again then he would step in for me. 

pingo you will learn the new computer in no time.  Is there someone in the family that can show you?

Enjoy the day

putt

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hi putt,
    Well at least your nephew showed up. Interesting he cannot climb a ladder - how can anyone in construction NOT climb a ladder. Maybe he should buy himself a new ladder. There are safety ladders, where the feet dig down in the ground and they have kind of "arms" that support the top. Oh well, maybe he just want company.
    I am posting from my new computer. Seems to work well - except the keyboard is different - so I am having trouble typing. Not that I am good at it by any means. My old keyboard is larger and " shaped" kind of. Plus it has an "wrist rest". If I can' t get used to this one - my son will install my old one here. But I love my new mouse, that came with it.
    Just came back from Shaw's. I had promised my son lobsters to celebrate his graduation. They are only $5.99/lbs. today (and for the next few days). Unheard of. Beautiful 1-1/4 lbs. creatures. I bought 5 for the 3 of us - so hopefully we will have some leftover for a lobster roll tomorrow.
     I couldn' t believe how light the traffic was on a Saturday afternoon. Usually Rt. 1 is packed. Making a u-turn on Rt. 1 is usually a pain - no matter where.
    Have a happy cook out with your family. I am truly impressed, that you embark at this so soon after your husband passed away. I don' t think I could have done that.
    But life does have to continue, and I am sure your husband would be pleased, that you keep a tradition going.
    My very best to you and your family - Pingo

Hi tt and pingo Thanks so much for your support.  Never again will I try and help the family. My nephew finally showed up at 12:30 and brought his brother along  - according to my mother the "painter man" cannot go up on a ladder without someone holding it.  What???  Maybe he shouldnt be in the business.  My son took me to lunch and we just got home - the boys are having lunch at the picnic table.  I certainly dont begrudge them that.  Will keep you posted. tt - my son offered to talk to my nephew but I decided to wait and see how the day progressed.  If it did turn sour again then he would step in for me.  pingo you will learn the new computer in no time.  Is there someone in the family that can show you? Enjoy the day putt
    Posted by putt1

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Pingo,

I was over to Square One mall this afternoon with G.T. and partner.  Never go to the malls on week-ends, but I wanted to check out T.J.Maxx's area rugs.  Want a new one for center of L.R. and had seen a caramel colored one there a month of so ago.  Didn't pursue it at that time because I was alone and could not have managed getting it in and out of car.  Of course, it was gone.  Anyway, the mall was so crowded.  We just ran in there and CVS then back home.   Originally G.T. had said they would be down late afternoon, "so don't plan any lunch for us, we are going to R.I. in the morning."  That wonderful old intuition of mine said, "Make up a nice lunch, just in case.  You can always serve it for supper if they do come late".  At 1:15, in the door they walked, hungry!  Luckily, I had a dish of fresh pineapple chunks and and strawberries, a bowl of homemade cole slaw, and made up salad plates of chicken salad on a bed of lettuce with seedless grapes around the base.  My son looked at it and said, "This would be a $40 meal in some posh restaurant".  Made my day.

My younger son popped in for a few minutes with the kids, and I will go over there Monday for a cook-out.  So, that just leaves me at loose ends for tomorrow.  Perhaps if I feel heavy on the willpower side, I'll bake up a batch of tollhouse and a batch of peanut butter cookies to take over Monday.  Couldn't have done it today, I'd have eaten my way through them!  I was wavering this morning, when I got a call from a friend of my son's, who said, "Don't do it.  If you start to weaken, call me!"  You'd think we were in AA!  She felt the relief in my knee and sciatica was due in large part to the change in my diet, not just losing some weight, but also the change in carbs.  She herself is on a two day cleansing diet of weak tea and cooked beet greens - ugh!

Enjoy your lobster.  I've gotten out of the habit of cooking them at home.  Do love lobster meat.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Hi tt and pingo

The front of the house was finished by 4:30 - we are so happy.  He promised everything would be done in two weeks. 

tt I never asked how your son was doing after the procedure he had.  I knew there was a slight problem but didnt hear anything about it.  How smart of you to fix lunch anyway for GT.  Mother's intuition.  I have heard that a change of diet can be very helpful to your system even without the weight loss.  My appetite has not been all that good and I still seem to be in ice cream mode - yesterday I picked up some Edy's Tart Honey Yogurt - havent tried it yet.  Enjoy your Monday cookout. 

pingo - I'm not sure if I would even get out of bed some days if it werent for my kids.  Tomorrow is my hubby's birthday and after hanging the flag we are going out for breakfast.  The parade on Monday will be very emotional as the town Veterans agent calls out the names of all active duty and retired servicemen that have passed away during the year. That will be very sad to hear his name called but it's one more step in the process.

I am drooling just thinking about those lobsters!  Great price and your son will love it.  Enjoy!

putt

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Putt...I worked as a house painter while going to college.  I never heard of such a thing as having to have a person hold the ladder.

Pingo..You are doing just fine on your new computer,while here in GA, i am using my old computer, my laptop. I had to go find lots of things that I had book marked on my PC. I still didn't find them all, so I will have to wait until i get home to look at them.

Graduation went beautifully with nice weather. THe party afterwards meant food of all kinds the rest of the day....wings, turkey deep fat fried, three kinds of sausage, hot dogs, hamburger, 3 kinds of potato salad, cole slaw, chips,fruit,cold ham, ice cream, cake.....and of course soda and BEER. I think I ate too muchCry

Sections
Shortcuts