May Weekday Chats`

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MosesHandsworth. Show MosesHandsworth's posts

Re: May Weekday Chats`

Icer Thanks for the info on the ignore list. I didn't know that you all had "done him in".
    Posted by Ken1935

Ken:

Why are you thanking Icer for her FYI from last night? She misinformed you. Everyone in the CC forum definitely has not put me on IGNORE, contrary to what she wants you to believe

You should be defending me anyway, Ken. Why didnt you stick up for Wildo? You more than anyone here should appreciate what a kind, considerate, thoughtful person I am...

Icer makes it seem like you did something wrong just for responding to me. How absurd. By thanking her though, you legitimize everything she says. Very sad, Ken

You really disappoint me today

Ken, youve disappointed Wildo...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Ken: Why are you thanking Icer for her FYI from last night? She misinformed you. Everyone in the CC forum definitely has not put me on IGNORE, contrary to what she wants you to believe You should be defending me anyway, Ken. Why didnt you stick up for Wildo? You more than anyone here should appreciate what a kind, considerate, thoughtful person I am... Icer makes it seem like you did something wrong just for responding to me. How absurd. By thanking her though, you legitimize everything she says. Very sad, Ken You really disappoint me today Ken, youve disappointed Wildo...
    Posted by MosesHandsworth

You completely misunderstood me. All I was thanking her for was for telling me about the ignore system. I have never done it, nor did I know about it. I have nothing against you at all. was simply surprised to see you posting here on the CC because I know how some of them feel about you.That does not mean I have to agree with them. So next time before you go spouting off, make sure you understand exactly what has been written and if you are not sure, then ASK. I in no way legitimized anything they did. It makes no difference to me. They are free to do as they please.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MosesHandsworth. Show MosesHandsworth's posts

Ken:

Please dont raise your voice to me. Geesh...

I apologize for the apparent misunderstanding. Last thing I want is for someone here to put a wedge between our friendship, which as you know, I value highly

It's just that if someone said to me, "FYI...everyone here ignores Ken", I would immediately leap to your defense and passionately argue against what I would consider a terrible mistreatment of you

Now, I know you and I are different people and have different ways of doing things, but I guess I thought maybe you would put a good word in for me or something, that's all. Seemed like an apt time to do it

But that's okay. I'm over it now. Let's move forward, shall we?

Once again, I apologize for misjudging you and hope you will in no way hold this little episode against me

Your friend,
    Wildo

PS Thanks for respondoing in a way so that my prior message showed up in your own posting. Apparently this annoys Icer no end:)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Ken: Please dont raise your voice to me. Geesh... I apologize for the apparent misunderstanding. Last thing I want is for someone here to put a wedge between our friendship, which as you know, I value highly It's just that if someone said to me, "FYI...everyone here ignores Ken", I would immediately leap to your defense and passionately argue against what I would consider a terrible mistreatment of you Now, I know you and I are different people and have different ways of doing things, but I guess I thought maybe you would put a good word in for me or something, that's all. Seemed like an apt time to do it But that's okay. I'm over it now. Let's move forward, shall we? Once again, I apologize for misjudging you and hope you will in no way hold this little episode against me Your friend, Wildo PS Thanks for respondoing in a way so that my prior message showed up in your own posting. Apparently this annoys Icer no end:)
    Posted by MosesHandsworth

I saw no need to come to your defense. I feel the fine ladies on this thread have already made up their minds about you, and I feel no compunction to change their minds. THat's not my thing. And as for your defending me, I appreciate you willingness, but no need. If people want to ignore me, no problem, at least for me. That's THEIR  problem.

ICER, if this is annoying to you, my apologize. I did no know that

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

And we are off once again

putt

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Yes, a bit like Alfalfa, but more handsome... for sure!
    Posted by Ihavemyhats

*blushes*   aw shucks?   thanks.Embarassed

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

*blushes*   aw shucks?   thanks.
    Posted by Ken1935

You're welcome, but remember, handsome is as handsome does.  We don't need every post from the ignored one to be quoted back to us in your reply.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

You're welcome, but remember, handsome is as handsome does.  We don't need every post from the ignored one to be quoted back to us in your reply.
    Posted by Ihavemyhats

I understand perfectly. I can easily go to the Commoners and start a thread there with replies to the "ignored one"  for I have no desire to disturb the peaceful equilibrium of this thread.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Ken,
    You are such a gentleman. Thanks for the backing up the "fine ladies". I do not believe the "ignored one" bother Icer to no end. Maybe that is his perception. I am sure, she can take it or leave him, like the rest of us.
    In fact I find it amusing to read his posts, as long as they are clean and he does not attack us with his garb (under different names of course), which was the problem in the past.
    This is a peaceful thread, and we like to keep is this way. If it gets "hot" again - we will resort to mother mitzy's blog, which is already set up to go - by invitation only though. I am sure you will be invited. You give us "fine ladies" a different angle on life in general.
    I am truly impressed, that you put up with us. I feel our chats may be so boring to you. We are not here to change the world, just chatting about out daily happenings.  And we have love for each other, even though we have never met. Personally, I have gotten a lot of strength from the "fine ladies" - when I needed it. I have girlfriends, but I find my Chat friends are a lot more honest and acceptable than some of my closest friends. Oh well, just my two cents on a rainy Wednesday morning. Love to all  - Pingo

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I saw no need to come to your defense. I feel the fine ladies on this thread have already made up their minds about you, and I feel no compunction to change their minds. THat's not my thing. And as for your defending me, I appreciate you willingness, but no need. If people want to ignore me, no problem, at least for me. That's THEIR  problem. ICER, if this is annoying to you, my apologize. I did no know that
    Posted by Ken1935

I am not annoyed. Just stating a fact ...There are those who choose to ignore, I just feel that by posting those comments You are now the vehicle to bring in comments that one day maybe not everyone wants to see.

As for my avatar changing.

I put the sink picture up as a lovely thank you to all those who helped out with our flooring decision. It also had a funny story to go with the hardware. I just thought some of those who helped Honey and I dodge a serious bullet may want to see what we came up with...

Then we had this fabulous double rainbow that I wanted to share. No worries
    Enjoy the gloomy day

Icer will be out for a little while..family stuff to do that will take me away from the computer.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MosesHandsworth. Show MosesHandsworth's posts

In fact I find it amusing to read his posts, as long as they are clean and he does not attack us with his garb (under different names of course), which was the problem in the past.
    Posted by pingo

Dont know why I'm bothering with this. Maybe because it matters to me, I guess. Maybe because I dont like being accused of something I didnt do

Ive said this all before, but here it goes again:

The only screen name I ever used in this forum (prior to MH) is Thursby. All the other names you saw in here that started showing up after I arrived belonged to others, not me. I know some of you thought/think they were all mine, but they werent. I only used Thursby

Also, I always kept it "clean" in here. Never used bad language. Never namecalled anyone. And I never talked in a lewd manner ever

I kidded you and made fun of you (aggressively at times) and goofed around a lot, but I was never vulgar.

In that way at least I was respectful of what goes on in here

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Yes Icer, your rainbow is indeed beautiful. It makes me smile. Hope you won' t be out for too long. We will miss you here. Just hope it is nothing serious. My best to you my dear friend - Pingo

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi Everybody -

Enjoyed a great trip to the Bay area. The weather could have been better, but it didn't rain.  Typical San Francisco weather - foggy and cool.  We were staying right on the bay in Berkeley but couldn't see much.  When we drove inland, away from the water, it cleared up fast and the sun shone.  Went down to Monterey on Friday and drove along the 17 mile drive.  I did that 20 years ago and remembered it ended at Pebble Beach, so we stopped there and had lunch at the Lodge.  Very scenic and beautiful drive.  In several spots, there were seal pups but the state blocked them from view and you couldn't get near those stretches of beach.  Stopped at one of the many farm stands near Monterey and bought cherries and red garlic.  Hit the season just right.  The cherries were delicious and sweet.  

We ate three meals in San Francisco.  One at Fisherman's Wharf, another at Top of the Mark and the third in the Mission district.  I ate crab everyplace we went. It was always served with avocados, and I loved it! I had it in a salad, in soup and baked stuffed. My cousin hosted a catered meal at her home Saturday night. That was really nice.  It's not often we are all together now, and so nice to gather for a happy occasion.  The wedding was beautiful - a UCC church in Berkeley.  The reception was at a science museum on the Berkeley campus way, way, way, up in the hills.  The view was amazing, although, it was too foggy to see all the way across to San Francisco. 

One of the highlights of the trip was a boat cruise around the Bay.  We chose a particular cruise that sailed under the Oakland Bay Bridge and around Yerba Buena Island, which is where my father spent time before and after the war.  He still has pictures of sailing under the bridge on the way to the Pacific and back after the war ended. It was very emotional for him to be back there after 64 years.  Even after all these years, I learn little tidbits about his war service.  He talked about being housed in an old department store on Market Street in San Francisco before he was sent to this island.  The store was under lockdown because many of the guys tried to escape before shipping out.  That was why they were put on this island.  I guess many were scared and who could blame them?  I had not heard many of these stories before and I have encouraged him to write all this down.  A few years ago, I got a WWII era map of the Pacific and I asked him to mark all the places he went to.  I found it fascinating.  Anyway, I'm glad we got to go and also glad the younger members of the family experienced this with him. 

I see that all of you were busy this weekend and I will post more later tonight or tomorrow. Boy, is it cold!  

mothermitzi     

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Mother mitzy, so glad to have you back home with us. You were truly missed. I can imagine, what an emotional trip this must have been for your father (and you as well). Bless you for taking him there.
    Some years ago (1994) I did the same stretch with my family and I could visualize you entire trip. Seals, fog and all.
    Looking forward to more of your stories. For now rest and get all the emotional pictures sorted out in your mind. I am sure there are many. Best to you and welcome back - Pingo

Hi Everybody - Enjoyed a great trip to the Bay area. The weather could have been better, but it didn't rain.  Typical San Francisco weather - foggy and cool.  We were staying right on the bay in Berkeley but couldn't see much.  When we drove inland, away from the water, it cleared up fast and the sun shone.  Went down to Monterey on Friday and drove along the 17 mile drive.  I did that 20 years ago and remembered it ended at Pebble Beach, so we stopped there and had lunch at the Lodge.  Very scenic and beautiful drive.  In several spots, there were seal pups but the state blocked them from view and you couldn't get near those stretches of beach.  Stopped at one of the many farm stands near Monterey and bought cherries and red garlic.  Hit the season just right.  The cherries were delicious and sweet.   We ate three meals in San Francisco.  One at Fisherman's Wharf, another at Top of the Mark and the third in the Mission district.  I ate crab everyplace we went. It was always served with avocados, and I loved it! I had it in a salad, in soup and baked stuffed. My cousin hosted a catered meal at her home Saturday night. That was really nice.  It's not often we are all together now, and so nice to gather for a happy occasion.  The wedding was beautiful - a UCC church in Berkeley.  The reception was at a science museum on the Berkeley campus way, way, way, up in the hills.  The view was amazing, although, it was too foggy to see all the way across to San Francisco.  One of the highlights of the trip was a boat cruise around the Bay.  We chose a particular cruise that sailed under the Oakland Bay Bridge and around Yerba Buena Island, which is where my father spent time before and after the war.  He still has pictures of sailing under the bridge on the way to the Pacific and back after the war ended. It was very emotional for him to be back there after 64 years.  Even after all these years, I learn little tidbits about his war service.  He talked about being housed in an old department store on Market Street in San Francisco before he was sent to this island.  The store was under lockdown because many of the guys tried to escape before shipping out.  That was why they were put on this island.  I guess many were scared and who could blame them?  I had not heard many of these stories before and I have encouraged him to write all this down.  A few years ago, I got a WWII era map of the Pacific and I asked him to mark all the places he went to.  I found it fascinating.  Anyway, I'm glad we got to go and also glad the younger members of the family experienced this with him.  I see that all of you were busy this weekend and I will post more later tonight or tomorrow. Boy, is it cold!   mothermitzi     
    Posted by mothermitzi

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi pingo -

Thanks very much.  I'm still not acclimated to the time change, which is not huge - three hours after all - but I'm tired on top of it.  Fell asleep early and now I'm wide awake!  I read your post about the dog and I would have done the same thing. Some people just don't get it.  I wouldn't even show up at someone's door with a child without asking first, never mind a dog! Especially someone I barely know. Glad you had  a good time at your son's graduation and hopefully you can relax a bit now after your trip and company before that. Take care.

mothermitzi  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi tt -

I hope your son is making out ok. Always a worry.  I hope he gets back on the right track and that the "next procedure" is the last. Sounds like a nice time at your son's house last weekend.  I know what you mean about deviled eggs.  I stopped bringing them anywhere.  The older generation would pick at them but not the younger. Last time I had them here, I sent most home with my father.  There is always something special about the first cookout of the season.  Everything tastes so good!

I didn't get a chance to make the cemetery run before we went away.  I will get to it this weekend.  Most of my family is in the same one, so it's easy.  I hadn't thought much about it before, but I draw comfort from going to the spot where I know my mother is.  When the time comes, I will go there, too.  I realize it is merely a formality, but it's what I want.  

I was amazed at the difference in my deck in just five days.  Everything enjoyed a growing spurt.  Must have rained while I was gone because all the containers were damp and perky.  Can't believe how cold it is tonight.

mothermitzi 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi putt -

I read about your weekend.  Must have been quite a roller coaster ride for you.  I thought how appropriate it was to scatter your husband's ashes on Memorial Day weekend.  Obviously that was an important time for him, with his military service, etc...  Not to mention the start of another season -  a new beginning, if you will. What really struck me, though, is how brave you are to be able to do all this. It's only been a few short months since he passed and you have accomplished so much.  I give you a lot of credit.  

I usually hang a flag for Memorial Day, too, but didn't this year for obvious reasons.  I'm going to put it out this coming weekend instead.  Isn't that when we used to celebrate the holiday anyway?    

mothermitzi  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi ken -

I hope you and your wife arrived home safely.  Sounds like you had a nice time. I'm so glad you were able to be with your family for your granddaughter's graduation.  As tedious as they can be, I actually enjoy graduations more than just about any other occasion.  The kids are always so enthusiastic and happy and they truly mark a milestone in their young lives. It's nice to be a part of the celebration.  

mothermitzi 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning, Mothermizi

Good to have you back.  What a wonderful trip you had, really seeing a lot of the coast, and what a lot of memories it stirred up for your father. 

You've come back to cold temps here tho.  In the middle of the night I ended up getting up and pulling a knitted afghan from a couch and throwing it over the top of the bedclothes.  Glad I left a couple of my turtlenecks out to wear under my sweatshirts yesterday and today.

My son is doing much better, thank you.  He'll go back in another 3 weeks for a final check up (we hope), but certainly is back to normal.  Only thing he couldn't do was enjoy the pool this week-end.

I've been trying to keep an eye out for my fox.  I'm wondering if one of his dens is in the back wooded part of my yard.  I've seen him come down from a corner of the yard, but then yesterday saw him run up past the buddha to that same corner.  I'll not disturb him in case there are pups there.  Cheerio either doesn't recognize a wild animal when she sees one, or figures she's bigger than he is, because she was at the slider with me yesterday when he passed right by.  Never flinched.  Any sign of crows, or hawks?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning all,
    Mother mitzy and Ken - glad to have you both back. We missed you here.
    I woke up to a very cold house this morning. We knew it would be a cold night - but to put the heat back on at this time of the year, just doesn't seem right. Is this a warning for what to come this summer?
    I am now getting ready for my trip to Ireland next week. tt, are there anything specific you want me to see/do? Please tell me. I am really looking forward to this - it is going to be VACATION (at least I hope so). Hubby has been so busy finishing a project, so it will be good for him too. We are traveling with another couple, whom we have been travelling with before - and we get along great. It should be fun.
    When I get back, I will have to deal with yet some other house guests. A son of our abroad friends is taking a course at MIT. He is only 11 years old, so mom is coming along. They are looking for a place to stay. We have the room, but to get to MIT at 8 in the morning will be quite a challenge. Traffic, traffic, traffic. Hubby told them, they will need to rent a car if staying here. Don' t even know if the woman drives. It would really make sense, if they stay at a hotel near MIT.  But when people hear we live near Boston, everyone thinks that everything is near by. We will see.
    Oh well - yet another headache.  You all have a nice day - Pingo

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Welcome back mothermitzi !!!!

What a wonderful trip.  It must have been very special for your dad, especially to be able to talk about what happened 64 years ago.  Each time you return from a trip your description of the food, places you have seen and things you have done is so descriptive I feel as if we took this trip together.  Thank you.

putt

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning, Pingo

If your trip to Ireland is next week, then you already have your travel mapped out with the places you will visit and stay.  I don't know if you are going with a tour or traveling on your own.  The tours are pretty good, they will take you to not only the touristy sites, but to some smaller towns, and along those roads you may be lucky enough as we were, to pass a tinker family or two driving and living in a caravan.  If you are driving in from Shannon airport, stop at the Cliffs of Moher, it's breathtaking.  We did not go to northern Ireland at all.  Galway and Killarney were my favorite cities.   Dublin, of course, should be visited for all the cultural places, Trinity College for the Book of Kells, and stroll down to McClory's dept. store where we found beautiful Irish lace curtains that came off of large rolls, cut to your exact measurements.  The guys might be interested in the Guinness brewery. At the Blarney Stone location there are wonderful woolen mills with great bargains, and across the street before you turn in to the Blarney Stone are a couple of shops with good buys on Waterford crystal, as well as the Irish jewelry (tho Irish gold carat only goes to 10, I believe) and Belleek china.  In Waterford, the Waterford Crystal factory is worth a tour.  For scenic drives, of course, the Ring of Kerry and the Lakes of Killarney are spectacular.  Stop at local pubs and try their soups and scones, and at night you'll be entertained by local musicians.  Talking to locals, you can get directions to some excellent eating places that are off the beaten track.  There's a lot of driving between towns, but the beautiful "shades of green" scenery, and sheep on the hillside with the red ownership markings, as well as the ruins of castles and forts, is so relaxing.  Have a wonderful trip, I wish I were going with you.

Should also mention - I don't know if the people you are traveling with are Irish, but if so, a must stop would be the city of Cobh, where the ships carrying Irish immigrants sailed from.  We stood on the very docks where my ancestors would have stood and taken their last look at the hilly streets of Ireland.  Very moving.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh boy tt, I printed out your post - so I can remember everything. I knew you would come through for me. No, the people we are going with are not Irish at all - far from it. I will be the only European in the lot. But we are all so anxious to go. We have been to the Lake District, to Wales and to Scottland. And we loved it. Now we will be visiting Ireland, which we have been wanting to do for a very long time.  We are basically staying at one place and then take day trips from there. I am just so anxious to visit the European culture and the beautiful places it offers. Of course we wil go to Waterford. That is  must, but I am so glad you mentioned other places as well. We are kind of non-turists, that like to visit places off the beaten path.
    Thanks again my dear friend - Pingo

To add. No, we are not going on a tour. We will fly in to Shannon, rent a car and do our own sight seing. This is what we always like to do. No schedule - see what we want an linger at the places we like the most.

Good morning, Pingo If your trip to Ireland is next week, then you already have your travel mapped out with the places you will visit and stay.  I don't know if you are going with a tour or traveling on your own.  The tours are pretty good, they will take you to not only the touristy sites, but to some smaller towns, and along those roads you may be lucky enough as we were, to pass a tinker family or two driving and living in a caravan.  If you are driving in from Shannon airport, stop at the Cliffs of Moher, it's breathtaking.  We did not go to northern Ireland at all.  Galway and Killarney were my favorite cities.   Dublin, of course, should be visited for all the cultural places, Trinity College for the Book of Kells, and stroll down to McClory's dept. store where we found beautiful Irish lace curtains that came off of large rolls, cut to your exact measurements.  The guys might be interested in the Guinness brewery. At the Blarney Stone location there are wonderful woolen mills with great bargains, and across the street before you turn in to the Blarney Stone are a couple of shops with good buys on Waterford crystal, as well as the Irish jewelry (tho Irish gold carat only goes to 10, I believe) and Belleek china.  In Waterford, the Waterford Crystal factory is worth a tour.  For scenic drives, of course, the Ring of Kerry and the Lakes of Killarney are spectacular.  Stop at local pubs and try their soups and scones, and at night you'll be entertained by local musicians.  Talking to locals, you can get directions to some excellent eating places that are off the beaten track.  There's a lot of driving between towns, but the beautiful "shades of green" scenery, and sheep on the hillside with the red ownership markings, as well as the ruins of castles and forts, is so relaxing.  Have a wonderful trip, I wish I were going with you. Should also mention - I don't know if the people you are traveling with are Irish, but if so, a must stop would be the city of Cobh, where the ships carrying Irish immigrants sailed from.  We stood on the very docks where my ancestors would have stood and taken their last look at the hilly streets of Ireland.  Very moving.
    Posted by toytrumpet

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"To add. No, we are not going on a tour. We will fly in to Shannon, rent a car and do our own sight seing. This is what we always like to do. No schedule - see what we want an linger at the places we like the most. "

Remember to drive on the left side of the road, and you'll also be pleasantly surprised at the courtesy drivers extend each other at the "round abouts" (what is known here as "rotaries").  Nothing like the each man for himself we see in this country.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just an FYI -
    Checked out the signs on St and Sh ground beef again this morning - now there is a sign over the whole section of counter saying that all St and Sh ground beef comes from USA - Mexico - Canada.  Also a sign over the chicken counter saying all St & Sh chicken comes from USA.  Saw very few people with beef in their carts.

Sections
Shortcuts