Memorial Day Week-end Menu Ideas?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Memorial Day Week-end Menu Ideas?

Guests who don't eat meat are coming on Memorial Day Week-end.  And, I don't have a grill, so looking for ideas for simple chicken/turkey or veggie menu, some of which could be prepared the day before.  I've exhausted my supply of cut out "want to try" recipes that fill this bill.  There'll only be 4 or 5 of us.  Thanks.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Re: Memorial Day Week-end Menu Ideas?

Hi TT, how about some chicken in the crockpot?  This blog has 64 chicken recipes

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

and some turkey and veggie ones besides. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks, Hats.  I'll google it.  Just googled on AllRecipes to see what I could find.  I'm going to make a tri colored pasta salad that has among other things chunks of mozzarella, and have decided to make my peach pie - both of those can be made ahead of time.  Definitely need a chicken or turkey dish and the site you gave me may have just what I need to round it out.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Here's a simple recipe - boneless chicken breasts in crockpot.  Add coca-cola to cover (the real thing, but don't worry because you drain it off) Cook for 3 - 4 hours on high.  Drain, shred chicken, add barbecue sauce until there's enough to soak into the chicken but not too much, (refridgerate until tomorrow if needed) warm up, and serve on buns.  Pulled chicken sandwiches.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Mmm Mmm Mmm.  That sounds delicious.  What barbecue sauce do you recommend?  It's something I don't normally buy, and there are so many variations.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

it's called Sweet Baby Rays, I think= I get it at our favorite, MB.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In Response to Re: Memorial Day Week-end Menu Ideas?:
    it's called Sweet Baby Rays, I think= I get it at our favorite, MB.
    Posted by Ihavemyhats

Thanks, Hats.  I'm starting a list of all ingredients I will need.  Found a recipe on Allrecipes for Chicken and black bean enchilada casserole that I know one of the guys will love, and that alone calls for mostly all things I don't keep on my shelves.  Are green chile peppers really hot hot?  It calls for a 4 oz. can.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello tt,
    You already got a lot of ideas from hats. Her recipe sounds delicious. When you say, your guests do not eat meat - you must mean, they don't eat beef. But if you want to avoid meat all together, I have a delicious and easy sour cream enchilada dish, I am thinking of serving myself as I am having vegetarians coming as well. And they don't eat anything that can move.
    For your question in regard to the chillies. No - one can of those will not be too hot. They are pretty tame IMO.
    I usually serve these enchiladas with a blackbean/corn salad and make cornbread to go with it. The enchiladas can be prepared the day before and just stuck in the oven the day of. The salad is better when sitting overnight and the cornbread is easy to whip up from TJ's mix.
    Thanks tt, I guess my Mem. Day menu is done.

That coca-cola chicken sounds interesting too. Maybe for the next day.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Pingo,

The recipe I found on Allrecipes is Layered Chicken and Black Bean Enchilada Casserole, and I think it sounds really easy, one dish in all, so no need to make cornbread - since I'll be doing others as well.  Give it a look/see if you like.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The recipe I posted in Recipes under "Sandra Lee's Teriyaki Chicken Thighs" (or something like that) was stellar.  I'm betting that you could bake the thighs instead of grilling them with similar results.  Absolutely mouth-watering (if you like teriyaki at all).

I make a stuffed Anaheim pepper that could easily be meatless.  However, I don't have the proportions of ingredients.  Mix fat free refried beans, favorite salsa, brown rice (I get the pre-cooked from TJ's), fresh cilantro, and lime juice to a consistency that would be good to stuff peppers with in a large saute pan or pot.  Taste!  Add salt to taste.  Stuff generously in cleaned out Anaheims.  Bake in one layer at 375 for one hour.  Garnish with low fat sour cream, salsa, and cilantro.

You can stuff the peppers the night before and store in fridge.  Bake day of.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks, Kargiver.  That sounds great, and I love any kind of stuffed peppers. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, good, tt.  I forgot to add that I mince a jalepeno for the stuffing, too, because the Anaheims are hardly hot (if at all).  And, maybe half an onion.  And, I don't think I mentioned actually cooking the mixture, but I suppose you gathered that.  Come to think of it, would you need to?  I suppose a nice experiment (not with company, of course) would be to mix the stuffing in a bowl and stuff in cold.  I always cooked it since I also usually put in some ground meat. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning Kar,
    I am collecting all sort of ideas for the upcoming two weeks - and your meat less stuffed peppers hit the spot.

If no meat in them, I don't think you need to cook the stuffing first. (Think stuffing at TG). If you use meat, then I believe one could just brown the meat to get rid of the fat. An hour in the oven, will be plenty to cook the meat through.

I love the idea of TJ's precooked brown rice (freezer section? going there today). I never do them, b/c they always take so long to cook (besides, I really do not care for brown rice) - I would think one could use leftover Basmati rice as well, of which I usually have plenty.

These peppers will definitely be on my menu one of the days next week. How many peppers  should one count on per person? Also, what do you serve with them? They will surely have all the ingredients for a full meal.

Thanks, Pingo

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks for the advice! 

The cooked rice is on the regular shelves in a gold, flat package.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    Just came back from the Doc for my monthly shot and your peppers have been on my mind all morning. I stopped at Costco, but never made it to TJ's. For today it will be fine. I have leftover Basmati rice. Everything else is in the house except for the ground beef and the peppers. So I am on my way to MB to pick up those. I will just brown the meat to get rid of the fat and then proceed w/o cooking. Will let you know, how it comes out.
    One question though. Do put cheese in yours? I somehow remember most stuffed peppers have cheese in them.
    Costco has some delicious chips made with rice and azuki beans. I have never seen them anywhere else. I bought 3 large bags today with company coming in mind. I just can't keep them in the house. Mr. P eat them with salsa, hummus and sometimes I just open a can of refried black beans. Not too bad.
    If you have more veggie recipes, I am all ears (actually eyes). Have a great day
    - Pingo

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, Pingo, I haven't put cheese in them, but I remember, now, I've sprinkled taco seasoned shredded cheese on top when they come out.  I hope you like them!  Any rice will do nicely, I think.  I'd definitely use up any kind I had before tearing open a package of the wild rice.

Oh, if you're going to stuff them cold, I'd cook the onions when you brown the meat, too.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, your peppers came out just great. They were delicious!
    I did not make it to MB - so I could not get the Anaheims. Instead I used just the generic green peppers. And I made two kinds. Two with and two without the meat. They tasted equally well, even though I would prefer the ones with the meat.
    Also, Mr. P had asked me to make meat loaf. He gets that craving on and off (will have that tmw). So, as I was only stuffing two peppers, I used a bit of the meatloaf (beef, pork, veal) meat. I think ground turkey or chicken will go just as well. I did not cook the onions with the meat. But it is certainly a good idea.
    The non-meat peppers was very tasty, but you may need the raw onions for those to give them some "spark". Only thing I thought was missing, was some "gravy". So at the last minute I poured a can of tomato sauce in the dish and let it bake for 5 minutes. Next time I may use Enchilada sauce or such.

Hat's coca-cola chicken breasts are cooking in my crock pot as we speak. I can't wait to taste how that comes out. Have the Bbque sauce and the buns read.

Have to go for a delayed wedding reception tonight. 6 months anniversary actually. "As per the request of the couple, do not bring gifts of any kind." I just hates those notes. How can you go and celebrate a newly married couple, w/o bringing a gift? We will be bringing a bottle of wine and Mr. P will have a card w/ a ck in his pocket. We will just see, what the rest of the guest will do.

Have a lovely day - Pingo

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I know I am coming in late here but I will make my offering of suggestions anyway. I have a few vegetarian friends that I love..I usually make egg plant parm..cause thats always goood...Also I usually make Rattatoulle. This I make because when you combine, zucchini, corn and tomatoe the nutrients blend to make a complete protien...just like meat, or so I am told
    hth

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, so glad you loved the peppers!  The regular peppers have more room in them than the Anaheims; a plus.  For "gravy" I relied on the side of salsa and sour cream, but the tomato sauce sounds good, too, if you want something warm to compliment it.  I agree, Enchalada sauce would be excellent, especially if you have the Anaheim peppers.  Maybe I'll make meatloaf soon...your hubby's craving has sparked my own!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

So, we had Hats' Coca-Cola for lunch today. They are EXCELLENT - and so easy to make. Used 3 boneless breasts, a small can of Coca-Cola and a small bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's.
    It would be a great thing for a large crowd. That and Boston Baked Beans and maybe corn. No turning burgers in the heat. LOL. I made them yesterday and just heated them up for lunch. Plenty left.
    Only thing I would say, they were on the sweeter side for us. So, I think the next time - and there will be many next times - I will use the BBQ sauce I usually use for my spare ribs: K C Masterpiece, Original. But I think you can use any BBQ sauce. But if you have a sweet tooth, Baby Ray's is for you.
    Thank you Hats!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, I'll be making those next!  YUM!

Sections
Shortcuts