November 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

November 2011

Good morning all.  My first time starting a thread - hope you all don't mind.

Halloween in my town was postponed until Saturday, so no trick-or-treaters last night for us.  It actually worked out because I wanted to go check in on Mom anyway. 

She is doing okay.  The place has generators running for the main lobby, the hallway lights, and the kitchen.  They are feeding them nice, hot meals, orchestrating games, etc.  It's a tad chilly in there but really not that bad (they usually have the place steaming anyway, lol).  Mom's room is still dark.  She has a mini fridge which we threw everything out and she's just very bored and cranky, lol.  She's "mad" at us for moving her up here, etc.  Of course I feel so guilty but I just know it was the best thing for her.  It stinks that she is stuck on the 2nd floor-her main complaint is that she can't smoke (they have to go outside to smoke). She is a heavy smoker and it's really getting to her.    We are hoping the power comes back soon. 

My house has been busy as well.  My BIL and his family don't have power either.  So he, my  SIL and their 2 boys came to our house.  Between my house and my MIL apartment we have 3 showers and 2 sets of washer/dryers so they were all busy with that.  It's amazing what you take for granted!

Happy November!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Re: November 2011

Happy November PC...I am sure you are doing all you can for your Mother...I am sure the smoking thing doesn't help at all...but I also know it won't make her want to quit....

Aren't you nice to open your home to your family...

Honey and I were talking and we have experienced bad storms here oure whole lives ....It just seems like the power companies used to get you back up and running in a lot shorter time than they do now....It seems to be...the economy went south....the power company learned how to get along with less employees...and now...on occasion they need the greater workforce....and can't rally it. I see the smaller companies do better...probably because they didn't stick it to their workers. Just my opinion

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Doing a test to see if the time stamp is fixed for me yet.  If not, I will have to write to Dottie. 

Nope, not fixed.  I posted this at 9:15, not 8:15.  Will stay off the boards so as to not confuse anyone until it is fixed

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Princess, I don't think your mother is so much mad at you for moving her up here, as mad at the circumstances in her health that she has no control over, that have forced changes in her life.  None of us like to become dependent, especially on our children (we're supposed to take care of them), and leaving a familiar home we've set up, big or small, as you get older is tough.  You just have to remember that you are doing everything you can to make this transition easier for her, and don't take her resentment personally.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning all,
    Glad to see your post Princess. Good that things has improved, where your mom is. I was concerned as well. Not only for your mother's place, but for the thousands of elderly, that must be going through the same. Maybe you should suggest the place gets a generator for the elevator as well, or demand that the staff carry your mom outside for some change of place a couple of times a day. I don't blame your mom for being cranky and upset. She is shut in like in a jail at present. Just too bad, that her first winter here turned out so badly. But you know, we usually remember only the good times and forget about the bad ones. I am sure your mom will forget all this soon. You did, what you had to do, moving her up here. So please don't feel guilty about it. I commend you for taking so good care of her.
    Halloween, oh well! My town was not on the cancellation list last night, but was this morning. LOL - So, I sat in vain waiting for the sound of the door bell to ring.
    They are now suggesting this coming Sunday, like most other towns.
    Spoke with our PB (soon to be BH) son this morning. He was on his way to line up and secure an apartment come January. Looks like son and father had a successful trip. One worry less for everyone.
    No exciting things happening for me today. The usual stuff - going to my office.
    Then I will have to go grocery shopping to get ready to pick up DH tomorrow. My freezer/ ref. is pretty empty by now. I have purposely been trying to use up all the "leftovers" that was lurking in there, while being alone home. Will swing by MB on my way home from work. 
    Chat later - Pingo

ps. Kar, where are you. Missing your posts.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Icer, I don't know what the reason/answer is to the power company shortages.  You may be right in that they have cut back on their employees and now don't have the manpower needed after storms like this one.  Mother Nature picks and chooses where she's going to hit the hardest - Tewksbury isn't that far from me and they are still without power.  I think if you live near a major highway, shopping mall area, you are apt to get faster service because of the businesses.  We live near Route 1 and are seldom without power for more than a few hours, if that.  I can't imagine people being without any power for days, especially if like me, there is no other heating system in the house but the furnace.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

i am using IE and I still see the negative time

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

In Response to Re: November 2011:
    i am using IE and I still see the negative time
    Posted by icer

and i posted around 9:30

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

In Response to Re: November 2011:
    In Response to Re: November 2011 : and i posted around 9:30
    Posted by icer

Def a IE problem.  Lots of issues using IE on these forums.  I can't reply to post, start a post and I don't have start a discussion or any of those buttons on top.  This has been going on for months. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Good morning everyone.

Glad to hear things are better for your Mom, PC.  I agree that she's probably mad at the situation, and her lack of control over it, than she is at you.  you're doing good by her.  Hope you are feeling OK, too.

I went to my parents' to see my neices last night.  They had about 12 trick or treaters.  That's up from lst year, but stil not too many.  The girls were cute though, sorting their candy into piles and deciding what order to eat it in.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I just tried to get in with Chrome..It was a no go..I got the same..You are using the wrong password thing..also...interesting to note...my reply to my own post did not show up..Anywho..I need to take down the Halloweeny stuff

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I was thrilled at my 20 trick or treaters - even the 6 teenage boys.  I remember my boys getting to the age where they were really too old to go trick or treating, but still kid enough to miss it.  Now next year I'll definitely plan on the 20 bags plus some extra.  Looking down our street there were very few porch lights on, and I think a lot of parents instead take their kids up and down the side streets leading to ours, and then turn around and head back.  Cute to see the little ones all decked out, not really knowing what this is all about.

How did you do, SS?  Have many?  I kept just a few of the taffy - love those and it isn't the sticky kind that gets all in your teeth.

Heading out in a bit, as most mornings, so will chat later.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

testing on Chrome.  

ETA: time is correct on Google Chrome.  I wrote Dottie.  They need to fix it for anyone using IE.  Plus I still have the old issues I had before on IE.  Was never fixed.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

You will be in my prayers November...  I eat everything, so I am ready!  Ha!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Some may see/ have seen this elsewhere, but there is big news at the Nov household.  We are expecting!  Its still very early, but if all goes well, it'll be a little bundle of Yankee Doodle joy expected to arrive in early July.

Puppy will have the honor of announcing to our parents this weekend.  I'm going to put him in a "Big Brother" tshirt and let him loose!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone.  I'm posting this at 9:56.  We didn't have as many trick or treaters as we hoped, but the house looked great.  I'll post a picture at some point this morning.  My son was out for 15 minutes and a decent amount of candy and he asked to go home.  I would have been out there for ever getting my chocolate treats! 

PC, I agree that your mom is probably mad at the situation not necessarily you for moving her.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Awesome news Novem Smile

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

November, how thrilling!  Congratulations! Sealed

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

whoot whoot november

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Thank you ladies.  I'm still in that stage that is a mix of thrilled and terrified, but we've wanted this for a long time.  Please send prayers that it sticks. 

It'll be interesting to see what you guys end up eating once I start posting about cravings.  LoL!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh November, so happy for you. Congratulations! Hope you will stick around here with us "oldies" - even though, you will probably be busy on the pregnancy/new mother threads. This is exciting news for us too.
    I understand your mixed feelings, but you know the body is a wonderful thing - your hormones will adapt to your pregnancy and those terrifying feelings will disappear. Praying for you that it "sticks". - Pingo

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Thank you Pingo.  I very much intend to stick around.  Everyone here has wonderful families that I enjoy hearing about and I hope to soak up as much wisdom from you gals as possible.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Did she lose her power?  She wouldn't be able to use her computer then.  I'm sure she will post as soon as she gets it back.  I know some places won't have power until Friday.  I hope that doesn't happen to her..

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Did she lose her power?  She wouldn't be able to use her computer then.  I'm sure she will post as soon as she gets it back.  I know some places won't have power until Friday.  I hope that doesn't happen to her..

ETA: looks like Google Chrome is giving me the same issue now... ugh.. won't post again

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I congratulated you on the other thread, Novem, but I'll add it again here.  That's great news!  Prayers being sent up already that all goes well.

ETA:  Hope some of your cravings include variety of pickles - I'm kind of stuck on dill right now and need to branch out!

Sections
Shortcuts