November 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: November 2011

In Response to Re: November 2011:
    [QUOTE]Pingo that is a much better price of oil then we are paying. 
    Posted by Winter2011Bride[/QUOTE]

Filing a bill away, so checked what I paid for oil delivery last month.  $3.479, but of course that will steadily go up with each delivery, I'm sure.  When the bill came I googled to see what average prices were around here and that fell near the top at that time.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Our tiny flurry is over almost before it began, thankfully.  

Oh, yes, Gracie eats 3 cups of kibble a day; I think that's about 30 lbs a month.  Plus all her supplements.  

tt, I love beets.  Were they pickled?  Those are my favorite with blue cheese dressing.  Mmmmm.  

I had quinoa/black bean chili I made last week with some TJ's cheddar-gruyere cheese.  Delish.  DH still needs very soft food so I'm eating the chewier and harder stuff on hand.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I didn't go near Route 1.  I went to the PetCo in Woburn and 93 was a breeze The parking lot had some activity since there is a Target there as well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Kar--I thought I would find you here to say that I got that meal planning for dummies book and so far so good!  I was so excited to not have to think about what I was going to make for dinner the other night.  We'll start out with week 45 next week and run the meal gamut for the week.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

No, these were just plain sliced beets.  That way, I use them as is for my salads, and then I also heat and serve with butter and vinegar for a meal go with.

Sun is out and I was going to tackle some more leaves in the backyard, but chillun next door are out with their father and already the wrath of whomever has fallen on one of them.

Was surprised at all the Christmas paper, bows, etc. out already.  I haven't even found any cards yet.  Saw some I liked in Job Lots, but was afraid what the quality might be - or not be.  They were sealed tighter than a drum.  Just went in and separated my gifts into different family bags and should have left them alone, the way they were they were all nicely stacked in one big gift bag, and now with the separation, I've a whole mess of different shaped bags!

Have a slight problem I'm mulling over -  how to let a friend I seldom see or talk with now, know that I'm not including her on my gift list this year.  The separation has more or less been on her part and so I'm hoping she is thinking along the same lines.  I find it difficult bring up the subject tho, especially how do I let her know I probably won't be including her in the small group for my Christmas lunch.  Can't count back on my fingers how many months it has been since we have gotten together.  She calls occasionally, but the conversation is filled with "how busy" she is and that each and every day is filled - which is good, she needed to get out and find some outlets.  As they say, some friends are in your lives for a period of time when one or the other of you need to learn something from each other, and I do feel I filled a need she had for years.  She's moved and grown past that need now, and that's OK, just awkward when it comes to the holidays.  Any thoughts from your C.C.ers?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Kar--I thought I would find you here to say that I got that meal planning for dummies book and so far so good!  I was so excited to not have to think about what I was going to make for dinner the other night.  We'll start out with week 45 next week and run the meal gamut for the week.  
    Posted by Lostgrouse[/QUOTE]

Lostgrouse, what a nice surprise to see you here in CC - thank you so much for seeking me out and letting me know you're already enjoying the book.  I am so happy - you totally made my day.  I'll be ordering it next Amazon order for sure, and Pingo will be pleased to see your thumbs up, too, because she asked me about it, too.  Thanks, again, for popping in to tell me; so thoughtful.

ETA:  Is anyone else seeing the annoying info banner, "An additional plug-in is required to display some elementsn on this page" and a button to install it that doesn't work?  I've chosen "Problems installing" and tested to see if I have the plug-in and it says I do.  Is it just ME?!  I keep hitting the RSS button instead of "Last" page because it takes a second for the alert to push the whole screen down and that's about the time I'm trying to click on "Last."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Not seeing any of the signs you mention, Kargiver, but I did call SS to see how she was feeling, and she tried again this morning to get in and was "denied".  I'll mention it as best I can to BDC Dottie.

SS is still under the weather but determined to feel better tomorrow for the big fair she waits all year for.  Good hunting, SS.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, I do hope she makes a dramatic recovery before tomorrow!!  Thanks for the update and be sure to let her know we're missing her and wishing her well.

You're not seeing the banner?  Oh, man, it is just me.  I'm seeing it in gmail, too.  Just as annoying there.  Grrrr.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

tt, I personally would not say anything unless she mentions it. But I feel for you, that is awkward.  Reminded me of a saying I like a lot.

When people walk away from you...let them go... Your destiny is never tied to anyone who leaves you, and it doesn't mean they are bad people, it just means their part in your story is over.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I'm not seeing it either Kar

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

I hardly ever get out of the parents forum these days Kar, yet lately there's a little too much trash talking going on there!  Anyway, just wanted to let you know that the book is totally worth it!  It's actually exciting (as much as a cookbook can be exciting) to see the quick meals, the kiddie meals, the budget meals and even the entertaining meals in combos that I wouldn't think of.  We've been in such a recipe rut lately and with tax season almost here again, it's great to have one less thing to have to worrry about during the week.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, I just read your question and I have to agree with Amber.  I woudln't mention the gift exchange with her unless she mentions it. 

Kar, I don't see it either.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Yes, Amber, that's exactly the way I feel.  She really needed my friendship and support for years, and now she is coming into her own and that's a good thing.  So, your suggestion is just not to invite her to the lunch, but not say anything?  No matter how I handle this, it's going to be awkward.  I don't want her buying me a gift and me not reciprocating.  And yet, I don't feel we currently have any common grounds for a closeness.  Not arguing with you, just thinking out loud.  Cheerio was of absolutely no help at all - all she was interested in was making her point that SHE was hungry NOW!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]I hardly ever get out of the parents forum these days Kar, yet lately there's a little too much trash talking going on there!  Anyway, just wanted to let you know that the book is totally worth it!  It's actually exciting (as much as a cookbook can be exciting) to see the quick meals, the kiddie meals, the budget meals and even the entertaining meals in combos that I wouldn't think of.  We've been in such a recipe rut lately and with tax season almost here again, it's great to have one less thing to have to worrry about during the week.  
    Posted by Lostgrouse[/QUOTE]

I hear you.  Anyway, that's awesome!  When I need to make an order I'll definitely add it and let you know our experience with it, too.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks for your input too, Winter.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I was a laundry folding machine so I didn't see your post earlier.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

How about letting her know finance's are tight this year and with the new GGS, you are cutting your list down to family and you are sure she would understand.  Times are tough for everyone, so it would be understandable.  Tell Cheerio I said hello : )

ETA:  I know it is not the truth, but sometimes that can be kinder.  It seems that the friendship is dying slowly anyway and she must be aware of that.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'll see how the next phone conversation goes and if there's a space to interject the subject of Christmas and presents.  As for the lunch, I just won't bring it up.

Thanks.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I am getting out of here soon. Very quiet today and only one person in the office besides me.  So I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend and will chat Monday!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, I've been mulling over your issue.  I'm betting that she might feel the same way and that bringing it up might be less awkward than you anticipate.  If I were you, I'd tell her how much you've enjoyed her gifts and exchanging with her and appreciate her as a friend, but that your moving away from doing gift exchanges with friends.  Even if she seems disappointed I bet she'd be secretely relieved you had the courage to get you both off the gift hook.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

You have a good one too, Amber.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Have a good night.  DS and I aren headed out to a girlfriend's house.  I'll pop in tomorrow after Yoda's vet appointment.  Have a good night everyone.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I like "moving away from gift exchanging with friends", Kargiver.  That's a phrase I feel comfortable using when we talk the next time.  thanks

ETA:  Probably adding, "We all have so much, and there is really nothing more any of us need."

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]I like "moving away from gift exchanging with friends", Kargiver.  That's a phrase I feel comfortable using when we talk the next time.  thanks ETA:  Probably adding, "We all have so much, and there is really nothing more any of us need."
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

I like your addition.  I might add to that, "...and it's getting more stressful instead of fun to try to pick something out that will truly be enjoyed and used.  I'm a little nervous to bring it up, but hoping you're feeling the same way?"

Showing your vulnerability in these situations ("I'm a little nervous to bring it up") gets them to see you in an empathetic, non-threatening way.  Everyone can relate to feeling uncomfortable about things like that and it will head off any negative reaction, I find, anyway.

Good morning, all!

Got the fire going first thing, Gracie's fed, now our breakfast is next.  More later, happy weekend!

~kar

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Got everyone fed, DH's meds down his gullet, and the fire is going strong.  (Guess where Gracie is.)

Nov, how is your DH doing post-surgery?

Hoping SS is feeling up to kalooping at her favorite fair today...it's today, right?

The sun is out, but glad we have the fire going today.  DH must be feeling pretty awful, still, because he's very aware of the cold.  It was 65 when we got up, and that's usually great for him ("Oh, you think it's cold?"), but this morning he wanted the fire going right away and just put more wood on, in fact.  It's going to get hot, I'm afraid, but we can remedy that easily enough.

I'd be making tt's pumpkin soup, but DH wants our old standby, more roasted butternut chicken soup.  Familiarity is comforting, you know.  Another time...I think we'd both really like it.

Have a great day, everyone,
    ~kar