November 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: November 2011

Good morning,
    Hopefully, you can convince DH to take it easy and rest up this week-end, Kargiver.  isn't it strange how when we don't feel well, or have been through some traumatic event, our bodies seem to mind the cold.  From what I saw on the TV the temps outside are really down there this morning, anyway.

Froze the whoopie pies to keep them as fresh as possible.  Had called my youngest son and let him know there were plenty here if they'd like to pick up some, but haven't seen him.  I understand perfectly, he and wife are trying to stay on a healthy diet plan.  If they're not in the house, you can't be tempted.

Today seems like a good day to really clear out my closet and drawers of any summer remains.  I don't think I'll be wearing those bermuda shorts anytime again soon!  Have to lug the Christmas bags upstairs too.  Cheerio has suddenly discovered them and I woke to her chewing on some of the cellophane this morning.  Once I get the baskets, I set them up on an upstairs bed anyway, putting items in each one so I can see what's needed.  Luckily the door at the foot of the stairs is one she can't open.  

DS, looking for your report from vet when you get back.  Yoda looks heavier to me and I'm sure he'll be pleased and report a weight gain.  Cheerio piped up and said she'd be glad to tell him how easy it is to put on a few pounds.  She's stretched out in front of the toyroom register, soaking up the heat from the furnace that seems to be going on a lot this morning.  Have been watching for Pretty Baby again this morning, even was up at 6:00 (not because of him but due to Cheerio's chewing on the Christmas bags!) and am a little worried with the cold and all, that it's been days since he appeared here. 

Time flies, and I've got to get a move on.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thank you so much, Lostgrouse - for your recommendation. I ordered the book Thursday, and should get it today. If not today, then Monday. I am excited, and can't wait. - Pingo

In Response to Re: November 2011:
    Kar--I thought I would find you here to say that I got that meal planning for dummies book and so far so good!  I was so excited to not have to think about what I was going to make for dinner the other night.  We'll start out with week 45 next week and run the meal gamut for the week.  
    Posted by Lostgrouse

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Lostgrouse, please consider joining us here on the Chat. We would love to have you. It is a friendly thread - some of us have known each other for years. Most of us have raised children and learned from our mistakes. We are not so far off from the  "Parent's Thread" - no matter how old our children gets, we are still parents.
    - Pingo

I hardly ever get out of the parents forum these days Kar, yet lately there's a little too much trash talking going on there!  Anyway, just wanted to let you know that the book is totally worth it!  It's actually exciting (as much as a cookbook can be exciting) to see the quick meals, the kiddie meals, the budget meals and even the entertaining meals in combos that I wouldn't think of.  We've been in such a recipe rut lately and with tax season almost here again, it's great to have one less thing to have to worrry about during the week.  
    Posted by Lostgrouse

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Gracie, too, can give plenty of tips on how to gain a few pounds.  Just whine and cry like you're starving until you get fed more, that's our little Flabrador's favorite tactic.

Looks like I'll be the last to try the book I recommended, lol.  It definitely will be part of my next Amazon order, though.  

Yes, Lostgrouse, join us any time. :)

~kar

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning all,
    Kar, hope your DH is feeling a lot better today. I never had gum surgery, but had a few molars extracted - and I was miserable.
    tt, I am with the group that says, "don't mention about the gift". Just don't invite your friend for your lunch, and she will get the message. I am sure you will get a call from her, expecting to be invited for your lunch - then you can just mention that your family has become so large, that you had to limit presents to immediate family. It is not an easy thing to do (been there), but you will feel such a relief afterwards.
    Hope we get a good report from Yoda. He does look like he had gained some weight.
    Hopefully SS is now up from her under the weather and is out there kalooping for some good buys. GL SS!
    DH went off for his tennis match. We have to meet someone at a Mexican restaurant for lunch later. Not something I am looking forward to. It is "friends" we don't see too often. They mostly connect w/ us, when they need DH's free advice. This guy always have those big plans for some development in FLA, that hasn't materialized so far. No exception this time either. I used to dine and wine them here at home. But the only time we went to their home, it was take out Chinese. So now my kitchen is out of reach. Now we know, it is mostly BS. But being in business, one cannot let an opportunity slide. DH already told them, that I might not come. But I figured if I go today, then I will be good for another 6 months. LOL
    Chat later - Pingo

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Figuring something out from someone's passive hints gives me a sad feeling in my stomach because I imagine the worst of what they think of me.  I'd much prefer a friend with the courage to say, "Hey, let's rethink this tradition, OK?"  That approach gives me the chance to say, "Sure - I was hoping we would, but I was too afraid to suggest it, lol," instead of leaving me wondering and assuming all manner of horrible things when I figure out the tradition is over for goodness knows why.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Got the Christmas goodies  upstairs and sorted out on the bed in family bags, and am quite pleased with the amount I can check off.  Have done better than I thought with my little pickings up along the way.  Of course, there is always one fam that seems to have nothing but the bare essentials.  I'll concentrate on them next week.

Reading your post, Pingo, I guess we all have those in our lives who are more takers than givers.  It is hard to break the natural habit of opening one's house and hospitality, but there comes a time when reciprocation is never forthcoming, that it's necessary.  Goes against our grain.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Saw your post as mine came up, Kargiver, and I agree with you.  So much better to have it out in the open, so to speak, it's just that I don't do very well with that approach.  I will bring it up casually as along the line of general Christmas shopping, and mention that this year I'm limiting gift giving to just my family - not true, since I do have a couple of other friends I see regularly that I'll still be giving to and will be having here for lunch - guess that's what bothers me, being deceptive.  However, this particular friendship has been let dwindle, first by her and then by me, so we are in a different category now.  As G.T. would tell me, don't make such a big deal out of it and get yourself all worked up.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, your post was a lot of comfort to me. Yes, in this case (and some others) it was necessary. I never liked to do it and felt terrible doing it, but as I grew older (and maybe a lot wiser) - I felt I had to put my foot down.
    Thanks for enlightening me - Pingo

Got the Christmas goodies  upstairs and sorted out on the bed in family bags, and am quite pleased with the amount I can check off.  Have done better than I thought with my little pickings up along the way.  Of course, there is always one fam that seems to have nothing but the bare essentials.  I'll concentrate on them next week. Reading your post, Pingo, I guess we all have those in our lives who are more takers than givers.  It is hard to break the natural habit of opening one's house and hospitality, but there comes a time when reciprocation is never forthcoming, that it's necessary.  Goes against our grain.
    Posted by toytrumpet

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Yah, just had an hour little quick drop in visit from Lilly, her brother, Nana, and aunt.  Got rid of those whoopie pies I had frozen, sent them home with them.  On their way back out to Boston to pick up someone and other errands, so no lasagna today, but Thanksgiving week Lilly and Nana will be down again.  It's the little unexpected visits that bring joy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

So lucky you are, tt - to have a loving family near by. - Pingo

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, just because you aren't cutting back on all your friend gift exchanges, it's totally true that by eliminating your gift exchange with her that you are cutting back.   You don't think she's going to ask, "Just how MUCH are you cutting back," and then argue about it, do you?  She's very likely going to say that she totally understands and is cutting back herself, too, but you're imagining the worst reaction possible and worrying about that.

Pingo, you know I can relate to having to pull back in a relationship with an extreme taker.  It's very difficult, indeed, but necessary.  You do what you need to do.

tt, I'm envious that your dear family is so closeby as to be able to drop by.  And, how special that they do.  So many people can but get "so busy" they don't make time.

~kar

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

True to all of the above -

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Funny how things happen - just got a call from the cat lady down the street wanting to know if I'd seen Pretty Baby lately - it's been quite a few days for me, but she said she saw him 2 nights ago and fed him chicken fancy feast!  He may be a stray, but he's got a couple of people at least who care about him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good afternoon.  Yoda went to the vet and she was very pleased.  She said he was like a different kitty.  He weighed in at 3 pounds 12 ounces.  He had his last shot and said he doesn't need to come back unless something is wrong until next year.  We picked up the next revolution treatment (flees, parasites, etc.) and now we will discuss to buy those every month or get a collar.  I like the idea of this treatment as it's takes care or more than flees.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

So glad about your Yoda's progress.  He does look like a different kitty.  If he is to be an indoor cat, do you feel he needs the continual flea treatments.  I'm sure he is flea/parasite clear now.  I never had flea treatments or flea collars for any of my indoor cats, just my preference, because I am more afraid of the effects of ingredients in them.

Great news that you don't need to bring him back again for a year.  The vet must have been really pleased with the progress he has made in sociability and general health.  Thanks for updating us, I've been watching the board today for your post.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

That's part of the situation too.  When he was found he had ear mites and he was treated, but there is a chance that they could come back.  This monthly treatment keeps those away as well.  He won't be going out, and the only reason he has a collar now is because my son wanted to get one and how could I say no. 

The Vet was very pleased and was so happy that he was eating three times a day.  He let the vet clip his nails and didn't even baulk.  Of course he is hiding now.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

That's part of the situation too.  When he was found he had ear mites and he was treated, but there is a chance that they could come back.  This monthly treatment keeps those away as well.  He won't be going out, and the only reason he has a collar now is because my son wanted to get one and how could I say no.  The Vet was very pleased and was so happy that he was eating three times a day.  He left the vet clip his nails and didn't even baulk.  Of course he is hiding now.
    Posted by Winter2011Bride

But, what a good boy he was!  You'll have a long happy life with him, I'm sure.  When I adopted Cheerio they had me choose what color color I wanted, and put a tag with her chip number and the 800 number to call.  Of course, that long ago came off when Charlie ripped if off her throat!  -- 
    And yet, I still say I miss that cat!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Great news, Winter!!  Go Yoda. :)  Soon, you'll be wondering if you need to buy "Weight Control," lol.  Here's a natural ear mite (taken internally) remedy should you ever need it, hoping not, of course.  Ear Care at Only Natural Pets gets great reviews for treating mites.  We use their ear cleaner with tea tree oil, and Gracie hasn't had an infection since, among other products, so I know they have good stuff.

The butternut chx soup was good.  I think we'll have pancakes for dinner.

ETA:  Hoping Pretty Baby is OK, tt.  He gets the royal treatment!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Yeah, I have the back light on in case he's sitting out there looking in the kitchen window, I don't want to miss him.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Oh my Charlie ripped it off, frisky he was.  We don't have Yoda chipped yet, but that's on our list of things to do.  Thanks for the link Kar, is that good for cats too?  DH is out for most of the evening, so I'm going to watch Lifetime and get some Chinese Food, he's not a fan.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I had steak and fries and am saving the dish for a bit with the meat juice in case you know who comes by.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Yoda ate some food and off he went back under the couch. Your steak sounds good.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Cheerio has her new favorite spot.  When I remade the bed in this computer room, I put my afghan on the foot of it and she loves the warmth of that, sleeps in here most of the time now.

Been watching Heaven Can Wait with Warren Beatty.  Good remake.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh my Charlie ripped it off, frisky he was.  We don't have Yoda chipped yet, but that's on our list of things to do.  Thanks for the link Kar, is that good for cats too?  DH is out for most of the evening, so I'm going to watch Lifetime and get some Chinese Food, he's not a fan.
    Posted by Winter2011Bride

The product I linked to is for cat's ear mites and is to be taken internally (unlike the cleaning drops we use on Gracie).

We've never used that product, but it gets good reviews and we have used products by that company that we love, giving me confidence in the product I linked to for you.

That's funny - you're doing exactly what I do when DH is gone, girly movie and Chinese takeout.  Enjoy!

Sections
Shortcuts