November 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: November 2011

Kar, thanks for your up on the bee wax. I buy Danish candles by the "truck loads" - they are smoke less too and they are dripless. They are made of all wax - no fillers and burn for a very long time. Ikea has them, so whenever we go there I stock up.  We also buy our tea lights there. Way superior to the ones you can get at f. ex. Target. Sometimes I have found them (tapers only) at TJ's as well. Just turn the box and look for "Made in Denmark". I can't do anything scented; kills me.   
    - Pingo

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ah, those sound lovely, Pingo.  The beeswax is dripless, as well, but sounds like you have the best already!  

I'm still procrastinating.  Why do I do this to myself?!  ACK!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Kar, I bought beeswax candles one time but they burned so fast.  Unless they improved them?  That was a long while ago. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, thanks for hte poem it's lovely.  I think I'll start on my cleaning tonight.  DS will be with his father, so I can do more.  ss and Icer, glad to see you are able to post this morning.  Kar, when are you coming back? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, but I am planning to make your soup. I think I will half your recipe though. For the past few Winter holidays I have served soup in mugs as a pre dinner thing after the apps, but before we sit down for dinner - so now my family is expecting it and want it. I am planning on making it Weds. night and then heat it up in my crockpot Thursday.
    - Pingo

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Glad to read all the Thanksgiving plans.  tt, as always, your poem is lovely.  Your poems make every holiday special. I have two cat beds around here that my cats have never used.  That's how cats are I guess.

kar, drive carefully tomorrow.  The weather is supposed to be bad.  I'm sure your pies will be well received.  When I was shopping last night, I bought a mince pie.  Can never resist one and it's a big mistake because my father and I are the only ones who will eat it.  Makes a great midnight snack though!

winter, Yoda is growing fast.  I bet your tv will get a workout over Thanksgiving. Nothing like hd tv for watching sports.

amber, I love your quotation.  So true.  Great Snoopy cake, too. 

ss, do you have turkey shakers for Thanksgiivng?  When Borders was closing, I bought a lot of books for practically nothing to last through the winter.

icer, my morning glories are officially done.  Never had them last into November before. 

november, good for you for going out to eat last night.  Other chores can wait, and besides, you have to be good to yourself right now :-)

lg, welcome to CC. 

pingo, it's good you can be at home today and tomorrow.  You'll need two days to recover on the other end, too. 

Well, I guess that's everybody.  Thanksgiving wishes to all. 

mothermitzi  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In Response to Re: November 2011:
    [QUOTE]tt, but I am planning to make your soup. I think I will half your recipe though. For the past few Winter holidays I have served soup in mugs as a pre dinner thing after the apps, but before we sit down for dinner - so now my family is expecting it and want it. I am planning on making it Weds. night and then heat it up in my crockpot Thursday. - Pingo
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

I wish you luck halving the soup, Pingo.  I've found there are some recipes that do not do well when you try to recalculate the amounts, especially those such as the soup with spices involved.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Fair warning to anyone planning on hitting a grocery store today - I got to S&S about quarter to 12, and it was mobbed, inside and out.  All registers were open,  but none specified for 12 items or under - I had only 5 but had to get into a regular line.  Anything I've forgotten, will have to stay forgotten!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

That is so crazy tt.  I never go near a supermarket the week of Thanksgiving.  I got everything I needed this weekend, thank God..  I think I asked you this already, but does Cheerio hang out in the kitchen when the turkey is cooking?  My boys do : )

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

amber, I think the candles have different burn times depending on their processing.  The Bluecorn Naturals are really nice; can't vouch for any other beeswax candles, though.

Winter, we're coming back with the entire Northeast population, unfortunately, on Sunday.  

mm, thanks - we will be careful and not push it.  Looks like rain, but probably will be snow here and there at least.  DH is a great driver.  Enjoy the mincemeat pie!  I'd share it with you...I've always loved it especially the venison version, although, I haven't had that in years.

Things are humming along here, now.  Dishes done, laundry in, another load in the wings, Gracie got her monthly heartworm prevention and flea treatment, trash is gathered for the dump (open Sat and Tuesday in our town), fire is going, and pie crust ingredients ready to dump in the bowl.  Hate to break the momentum, but I'm hungry...  Just need to throw the crust together first and then reward myself with lunch.  Good thing it only takes a few minutes!

Back to work for me.

Later,
    ~kar

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

tt, loved your poem, thanks from all of us.  Hope you enjoy your Thanksgiving with GT and his partner.
    MM...I was always going to Borders, I really liked that they would order salt and pepper shaker books for me.  Now if I see a hard covered book I want, I ask my dear friend and she orders it for me at Barnes and Noble.  Lots of bookstores are closing, think it might be because of the internet. As a teenager working in a bank downtown Boston I used to treat my self to a new book at Lauriets, then I used to go to Waldons in the Mall, then Borders.  This will probably sould stupid but one of my favorite things is to have a book I haven't read......if I'm down to just one.....I'll get myself another, so I'll still have one I haven't read!!
    I have many turkey salt and peppers, lots of pilgrims, indians,gourds, horn of plenty (can't spell the real name) 16 different ones.   I thought Irish twins were 13 mos apart, my 2 middle DD's are.
    Those who lost loved ones, be comforted that they are now happy with their other loved ones in paradise.  I met a medium in July and for the first time since I lost my oldest DD I felt a peace come over me, thru the medium''she told me she was happy with my Mom and Dad (she was their favorite), whole again and loved me.  Take care all and Keep Smiling. ss

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

SS, I very much believe our loved ones are around us.  I have had many experiences with family that has passed.  I always wanted to have a personal reading with John Edward.  I love you had a peace come over you knowing your DD is with your mom and dad..  made me tear up.. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

SS, so glad to have your posts again.  They're always such a nice newsy addition.

I saw John Edward in person once, not too many years ago, but he was on stage and so no reading.  When I have gone to a Spiritualist Church with my nanny friend, they do readings before the service too, but I think I don't relax enough for them to be drawn to me.

Have a headache today, hope it's not a harbinger of things to come, it's one of those like when you're coming down with something.  As a kid I always got sick on one of the holidays or when something special was planned - things haven't changed much.

For those of you on the road tomorrow, safe driving.  People get so crazy coming and going at holiday time.  I don't imagine Thanksgiving morning driving will be much better - glad I am staying overnight.

Might just make up the gingerbread dough and make the turkeys today.  I'll leave the soup until tomorrow - and the decision of what I'm going to wear.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

That is facinating tt you saw him.  I would probably never get picked either, but it has always been a fantasy of mine to have a private reading.  I hope you aren't getting sick too : (  I'm not driving tomorrow, but hate when it pours out,  my buses never run good with the extra traffic from it.  I want to get my floors washed when I get home from work tomorrow and do some prep work. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I have a few friends that have seem him.  They didn't have a private reading though.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Did any get read by chance?  I think your chances are small when he does a large group and I don't think the tickets are cheap.  If I was to do it, I would go big with a private reading : )  I'll tell you a story.. when my DD was around 11, my cousin and I took her on a trip to Maine for the day.  We ended up seeing a sign for a psychic card reader.  DD wanted her cards read in the worse way, so we went in.  When she came out, the psychic had all kinds of things written on a piece of paper for her. But what struck me at the time was she had the year 1997 written and the word strength written all around it.  2 years later her father passed away in 1997..  I still have that paper to this day.  Coincidence?  I don't feel so, but I'm sure others who don't believe in this would. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, you do great poems. This TG one is just as lovely as the rest.
    Thanks for reminding me of re-calculating recipes. You are so right. But you should know me well enough by now to know, I always add spices for our taste buds. I have to do that as we don't eat salt - so taste of whatever is usually off. Salt is a taste enhancer.
    I just made my Pumpkin Dip. I made it last year and it was such a big hit. It is served with apple and pear slices. If you have kids joining you, it is a winner. I decided to post it, in case anyone need an extra and very easy  appetizer. I already ate an apple with some of it. Had to stop, or make some more. Here we go:

Mix 4 ounces of softened packaged cream cheese with 1 cup confectioner's sugar until smooth. Then mix in 1/2 can of solid packed pumpkin. Add 1/2 Tbs. of ground cinnamon and 1/2 Tbs. of Pumpkin Pie Spice (or add spices to taste). Chill until serving - it is good in the refrigerator for about a week.

I also made my Cranberry sauce earlier. I do it with fresh cranberries and use OJ instead of water and half the sugar as recommended on the package. Then I used to add some grated ginger. But I read somewhere to add a finely chopped Jalopeno Pepper. I did just that. It came out absolutely amazing. Not hot at all.

I just needed a break. Now back to the TG chores - Pingo

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Taking a sit down break.  I would not pay to go see him at a large auditorium, Winter.  G.T., partner, a couple of friends of theirs and all us mothers went, courtesy of the sons.  He does try to do different segments of the auditorium, but you definitely have a better chance if you are down front.

I've posted before about the psychic I used to go see.  As I had said then, I always came out of there with an enormous sense of peace.  At my age now, I would not want to go, afraid of what she might see in the future - or lack of future!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

[QUOTE]tt, loved your poem, thanks from all of us.  Hope you enjoy your Thanksgiving with GT and his partner. MM...I was always going to Borders, I really liked that they would order salt and pepper shaker books for me.  Now if I see a hard covered book I want, I ask my dear friend and she orders it for me at Barnes and Noble.  Lots of bookstores are closing, think it might be because of the internet. As a teenager working in a bank downtown Boston I used to treat my self to a new book at Lauriets, then I used to go to Waldons in the Mall, then Borders.  This will probably sould stupid but one of my favorite things is to have a book I haven't read......if I'm down to just one.....I'll get myself another, so I'll still have one I haven't read!! I have many turkey salt and peppers, lots of pilgrims, indians,gourds, horn of plenty (can't spell the real name) 16 different ones.   I thought Irish twins were 13 mos apart, my 2 middle DD's are. Those who lost loved ones, be comforted that they are now happy with their other loved ones in paradise.  I met a medium in July and for the first time since I lost my oldest DD I felt a peace come over me, thru the medium''she told me she was happy with my Mom and Dad (she was their favorite), whole again and loved me.  Take care all and Keep Smiling. ss
    Posted by shakersilly2010[/QUOTE]

ss -

I have a set of turkey shakers but they're not old. I think I got them at Pottery Barn. I wish we could see pictures of yours. Haven't thought about Lauriets for years. I used to go there, too.  Downtown Boston used to be full of stores. Now it's awful.  There aren't many bookstores around now.  I think you're right about the internet.  You can get any book you want on Amazon.

mothermitzi

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

That's very cool that you saw him in a smaller venue tt. Amber, that story gave me goosebumps.  I defintely believe.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I must have given the wrong impression - it was definitely not a small venue.  He was appearing on stage at a huge conference center.  There were TVs set up at various angles so those in back and on the sides could see him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Oh ok.  That's the type of place my friend's saw him in. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

And now, may I - the truly ignorant one on these boards - ask, " Who is this John Edwards?" I never heard of him; could google him of course.
    DH is totally into astrology and readings. It is a long story, but he was told by an astrologer, when he was just 18, that he would leave his home country and settle in a foreign country. The astrologer gave him the exact time, when this would start to happen. And it did. His brother, who was already here in US for a year, had w/o his knowledge applied for him to go to college here. The postman came with the admission at the exact time the astrologer had told him. He also told him to forget about his then girlfriend; he would marry a foreign girl. I guess that is me - LOL. At the time he didn't even think about going abroad. I could tell you about more predictions, that would give you goose pimples. But like I said, it is a long, long story.
    Just came back from my last shopping trip. I am done! Done, done, done!!!! Except, I did forget something. I wanted to make caramelized pearl onions, but I forgot to pick them up. If I don't tell, no one will miss them. I did buy green beans, I can easily steam and dot w/ butter and sliced almonds - just in case nephew's wife falls through with a "green side". The stores were mobbed. I am glad I am out of there.
    Now put everything away and make dinner - Pingo

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

[QUOTE]And now, may I - the truly ignorant one on these boards - ask, " Who is this John Edwards?" I never heard of him; could google him of course, but I guess, I would only come up with the other John Edwards.
    DH is totally into astrology and readings. It is a long story, but he was told by an astrologer, when he was just 18, that he would leave his home country and settle in a foreign country. The astrologer gave him the exact time, when this would start to happen. And it did. His brother, who was already here in US for a year, had w/o his knowledge applied for him to go to college here. The postman came with the admission at the exact time the astrologer had told him. He also told him to forget about his then girlfriend; he would marry a foreign girl. I guess that is me - LOL. At the time he didn't even think about going abroad. I could tell you about more predictions, that would give you goose pimples. But like I said, it is a long, long story. Just came back from my last shopping trip. I am done! Done, done, done!!!! Except, I did forget something. I wanted to make caramelized pearl onions, but I forgot to pick them up. If I don't tell, no one will miss them. I did buy green beans, I can easily steam and dot w/ butter and sliced almonds - just in case nephew's wife falls through with a "green side". The stores were mobbed. I am glad I am out of there. Now put everything away and make dinner - Pingo
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

The medium I saw is local on the South Shore, she does shows (??) as a contribution to many cauces....I was going to take my 2 DD's with me, but when I found out the tickets were $40.00,I told them "no go, too costly for me to pay for 3 tickets", then quite by accident I saw where she was going to be at a local book store, I called to see how much....no charge, you just had to register ahead of time.....so I did.....Iwas the first person she did, after the show(I don't know what else to call it) lots of folks in the audience came up to me and told me how happy they were for me, even tho she hadn't read them, I then bought her book, she was terrific.  I'll try and have my DD take a phot of my shakers and post it for me so you all can see.  ss