November 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: November 2011

OMG tt, those looks great. As you know I am not much of a cookie fan, but I love to look at your fancy packaging.
    One question for you, if you check in again. Are you swirling some cream on your soup, when it is served? I was thinking of doing that, to make it look like a fancy cappuccino.
    Pecan pie came out A+. Now waiting for the Pumpkin Cream Pie. Looks good so far. Caramelizing onions at the moment. The house smells divine. - Pingo

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Hi Guys. Crazy day.  Haven't read through the posts, but wanted to wish everyone a happy Thanksgiving.  Safe travels to those who do so.  Hope you all enjoy your family and friends and can take time to relax and enjoy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Happy Thanksgiving Novem and all my other chat friends.  I suspect I'll be the only one on here Friday. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Happy Thanksgiving to all the CC ladies!  I won't be back on until Tuesday, but will be able to read everyone's posts.  Thanks tt for all the goodies today {burp}

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'll check in on Friday, Winter.  Boys will bring me home in the a.m. and probably stay for lunch, but then I'll be on.

Pingo, I haven't swirled any cream on top in the past, but G.T. wanted to the last time I brought it.  He wanted to put a dollop of sour cream on top.  As you know, I am a simple cook and don't go for all the extra dodads.  By all means, do, it would give it a festive  look.  I'm just getting started on mine now, have just finished setting up all my little dishes of diced veggies and then spices, flour, broth, pumpkin, to go in.  Have my food ricer on the bowl.  I have to keep sitting down, don't know how you make all you make without taking breaks to sit every 20 minutes or so.  I still have the half moons (only 4) to make the frosting for and to box and ribbon, and the candy to break up and decide what dish I'll bring that in.  Got an email from G.T. that he'll pick me up around 9:30 tomorrow.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Nice to know you'll be here tt.  I'm sure Cheerio will miss you. I tired now, so I'm not sure where I'll get the second wind to make my pie and cut up stuff tonight, but hopefully.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I know.  I'm a morning person, and as the day goes on, my energy fades.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I think I'm going to head out soon, so again HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all of you.  For those of you with Friday off have a wonderful day. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I don't think I said...Happy Thanksgiving!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, believe me - I take lots of breaks. Have to. But I try to time everything so I can. Plus I have one of those tall kitchen stools - so I can sit down to do certain things. But I can't sit down to chop - for some reason, I must stand up, whenever I use a knife. Kills my back.
    Sounds like you will take off early tmw. morning. How nice of GT to come and pick you up. Is partner's mother staying over too? I can imagine you two ladies sharing a few cuppas.
    Have a wonderful day tomorrow. And enjoy, you are not the one cooking. Be the lady of leisure. Truthfully, I don't know how long, I can do this. I used to love it so, but now it has become a bit of a chore. Still, I am happy when the table is all set with flowers and candles burning - it is just getting there, that has become a bit of a problem.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and GT - Pingo

In Response to Re: November 2011:
    I'll check in on Friday, Winter.  Boys will bring me home in the a.m. and probably stay for lunch, but then I'll be on. Pingo, I haven't swirled any cream on top in the past, but G.T. wanted to the last time I brought it.  He wanted to put a dollop of sour cream on top.  As you know, I am a simple cook and don't go for all the extra dodads.  By all means, do, it would give it a festive  look.  I'm just getting started on mine now, have just finished setting up all my little dishes of diced veggies and then spices, flour, broth, pumpkin, to go in.  Have my food ricer on the bowl.  I have to keep sitting down, don't know how you make all you make without taking breaks to sit every 20 minutes or so.  I still have the half moons (only 4) to make the frosting for and to box and ribbon, and the candy to break up and decide what dish I'll bring that in.  Got an email from G.T. that he'll pick me up around 9:30 tomorrow.
    Posted by toytrumpet

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just finished packaging up the last of the goodies (candy).  Turkeys, half moons, candy are packaged and bowed and on the table, Pumpkin soup and wine are in fridge.  I'll leave a list on the table or I'll go off without the soup!

Hope you have a wonderful day too, Pingo.  So nice to have your family around the table.  No other feeling can surpass that.  No, partner's mother does not stay over, she only lives a couple of towns away from them, and comes with her long time friend.  I'm looking forward to seeing the other guests, even tho I'll be seeing them soon at the Christmas party.

Must remember to put the cat toys I've bought for Desmond and Norma in my purse (taking the big one for all I want to carry!)  Both local sons have touched base with me today, and my oldest was down Monday, so I'm all set.  Don't imagine you will be on the boards much until Monday, so have a wonderful holiday.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, being on the boards is my "breaktime" - so I will be here on and off. Reminds me, I have to buy toys for my grand kitties. Last time we went, we hit the bulls eye. Babu took immediately to the toy we brought and still drags it around everywhere. I don't know much about cat toys - so any hints will be appreciated.
    Just mopped the kitchen floor - and that is it for tonight. Until I have to put the onion tart and the tomato tart in the oven for my hungry crew. Hope I can stay awake that long.  - Pingo

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I picked up a card with 2 catnip dental health chews on it, by Petstages, at PetSmart, next to Trader Joe's.  It's a catnip toy with a mesh covering that Cheerio seems to love, has colorful patterned little cloth "tails" with knots at the end. 

Temp must have dropped outside, my house is really drafty feeling tonight.  I'll be sure to pack my flannel nightie for tomorrow, their house is so big and they don't keep it the warmest.

Think I might just have to sneak one more turkey from the discard pile, with a glass of milk.  Happy Thanksgiving.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Just in case you should check in, tt - happy trip out West. Should be a nice drive with the sun out.
    Everyone came as planned last night. Amazingly no delays. The tarts were a big hit, and got gobbled up - even at 1 am. I was pretty tired by then and hit the pillows. No idea, how late the youngsters stayed up, but I did tell them, they could sleep as late, as they pleased.
    I got a lot done yesterday, so all I have to do today is the turkey and the stuffing. I set the table last night while waiting, so I am pretty relaxed right now.
    Wishing everyone a Happy Thanksgiving - Pingo

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning.  I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.  My turkey took longer than expected which justifies my saying that the thermostat in it is off. I hope everyone had a great holiday.  For the first time since moving into the suburbs, I was able to take the highway to work, I usually have to go back roads

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good afternoon Winter,
    Guess you and  I are the only ones on the boards right now. Did you buy a turkey with a pop-up? they are not to be trusted. A good instant thermometer is a must.
    We had a nice TG, but today I am exhausted. I was so tired last night, that I couldn't fall asleep. Every bone and muscle hurt. Got up at 4 to empty the DW and start another load. Just made leftover turkey sandwiched w/ stuffing and cranberry sauce. Yummy!
    Hope your day goes fast, and you will be able to leave early. The traffic going home may not be as easy as this morning. Lots of Black Friday shoppers. - Pingo

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Hi Pingo.  :) I wasn't going by that thermometer, just the usually time for a 14 pound bird.  It took much longer than we thought, but it was very good.  How are the boys?

ETA:  I think I ran the dishwater twice yesterday and than had to hand wash all the china and crystal. I know how you feel, I'm exhausted and here at work.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hello, happy day after Thanksgiving!  Are you still in work, Winter?  Came home and then found the Christmas tree lights weren't working, so ran out to Michael's, plenty of lights, but also plenty of people standing in line - we didn't wait.  At least my son put the tree together and up, so the rest is up to me.

Had a wonderful Thanksgiving.  Good food, good company, funny stories of childhoods, some painful at the time, but able to laugh at them now.  We all came from very modest homes, and at one time or another did our share of going for free blocks of cheese and powdered milk with a recipe book on how to prepare delicious, nutritious meals (!).  Don't know if I got a good pic of G.T.'s dining room table before everyone sat down, tried, and will check my camera.

Cats have grown and are so friendly, they loved having the run of the house, sunning themselves in front of the open foyer door, and playing with anyone who would wiggle something in front of them.

Now the Christmas rush starts, and the Christmas decorating.  Winter, I've had many a bird that took a lot longer than I had planned, I think it has to do with where The tip of the thermometer ends up.  You're right, never trust those pop up ones, and the best guide is what you used, the time per pounds.  Stuffed needs extra time too.  I'm sure it was delicious once it was done.  We had the bird, stuffing, homemade cranberry sauce, potatoes, sweet potatoes, squash, rolls, green bean casserole, with toasts and homemade cookies with our names on them as a place card.  Toasting drinks, and then the array of desserts, pumpkin and apple pies, a 3 layer choco cake with almond flavored frosting (delicious!), fancy mini pastries, pumpkin whoopie pies, and my gingerbread turkeys.  Didn't let myself bring home any of the sweets except for 3 of the mini pastries, since I never go to a bakery and they were a real treat to me.

Cheerio was glad to see me and hasn't left my side since the boys left.  She lays next to me on the couch, purring away.

I'll go check my camera shots now and if there's anything I can print, I'll put up a copy.

ETA:  Nope.  Sorry.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Hi tt.  Happy Day after Thanksgiving day to you too.  I'm still here, and I will be here until 5.  Sounds like you had a wonderful and delicious Thanksgiving.  I wish Yoda would snuggle with me.  He won't even let us pet him now, I'm getting sad that he wants nothing to do with us.  He will, however, rub up against my legs at night and will smell my hand, but than won't go any further.  I'm hoping he gets over this.  He does watch me put his food down, so I think he likes the lady that opens the cans... :)
    I didn't get a picture of the table and I meant too.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

It's so deceptively warm out.  Guess the whole week-end will be.  May try to get out tomorrow for some tree lights.  Depends on what time I get around in the morning.

Whenever I come from from G.T.'s I feel like painting every room fresh, and tossing out all but the essentials, and redecorating.  Our tastes aren't the same, they prefer more formal, but we both have the knack of putting a comfortable feel together in a room.  Their home is much older than mine, but has the look of crispness, bright and clean.  Makes me realize mine could use a good repainting. All it takes is money - - -

Miss not having any turkey leftovers with the fixings to reheat tonight, but didn't want to take any of the little they had left.  Everyone yesterday had hearty appetites and we sat around the table talking, laughing, and eating for a couple of hours.  I've taken a container of lasagna out of my freezer to reheat for supper, and I think I'll pick a room, any room, and see what I can do to brighten it up a bit.

Does your son have a game this week-end?  I've found my GS's games are on Sats., not Sunday's, and are at 3:30 which leaves me out for driving, because it would have turned dark by the drive home.  Don't know how receptive my son will be for picking me up for the games, but maybe a couple here and there, he wouldn't mind.

Have a wonderful week-end.  Yoda will come around.  G.T.'s male cat is now the most lovable and at first would have nothing to do with them - he's definitely a lap cat now.  I'l sneak back and see if I've a pic of him I can post.  Have a good one.

ETA:  forgot to mention, we, of course, had my pumpkin soup.  None left over to bring home.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, he does not have a game this Sunday because of Thanksgiving.  I will miss his game the following Sunday as I'm going Christmas shopping with the girls.  I know what you mean about painting, we have everything painted except the second floor...our bedroom and bathroom and when I look at it, I keep hinting to DH to start painting. 

I'll paint for lasagna and whoopie pies.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In Response to Re: November 2011:
    tt, he does not have a game this Sunday because of Thanksgiving.  I will miss his game the following Sunday as I'm going Christmas shopping with the girls.  I know what you mean about painting, we have everything painted except the second floor...our bedroom and bathroom and when I look at it, I keep hinting to DH to start painting.  I'll paint for lasagna and whoopie pies.
    Posted by Winter2011Bride

I'd definitely be getting the best of that deal, Winter!  I definitely want to have my bathroom redone, but the guy who last did it used to do it on the side, and has focused his attention on getting his own home in shape now.  He didn't have a referral for me.  Hate calling someone noone has used before, you really take a chance.  Need a new wall enclosure for the tub and I'd like to get a new tub too, never liked this one, it's too low.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

At some point we will need our bathroom done upstairs, but we have other things on the list to do first.  Paving the driveway, a new fence and fixing the wall...but we'll get there.
    That's too bad you couldn't get a referral, I don't know of anyone or I would let you know.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Thanks for coming on to chat tt.  I'm heading out, I'm sure I'll check in this weekend.  Have a good night.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!  Anyone go crazy and go shopping today?  

I checked back on what I missed and it looks like I missed a whole bunch of yummy treats.  I just pulled some Christmas cookies out of the oven not too long ago, and my DD will decorate them in the morning.

MM--thanks for the welcome.  As a quick question, is Mitzi a nickname?  There aren't many Mitzis out there!

SS--On the John Edwards theme... I saw Maureen Hancock in person a few months ago in a larger setting.  She picked out my MIL and told her that her nephew was doing well and helping others on the other side.  Also she started saying that she saw trees flying by and speed and a crash of some sort, then she said that her mother was also there with her nephew.  Both her nephew and her mother were killed in a car accident years ago.  It was creepy, but I totally believe.  

Anyway, we're up in the middle of the Adirondack mountains with my in-laws.  I think that we're coming home tomorrow which will be good.  I hate to get back on a Sunday when I have a million things to do to get ready for the next workweek.

Sections
Shortcuts