November 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: November 2011

Good morning everyone.  Not sure what is on the agenda, but it's my MILs birthday today, so I'm sure out to lunch or dinner is in the cards.  LG, it looks as though you have a beautiful weekend for the mountains.  Any plans outside today?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"My mother's not going anywhere again overnight without me knowing - not without her bathrobe!"

Remind you of Tigger and Boo, Amber?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Awe tt, what a great picture.  I received sad eyes at 9am because I usually feed the cat when I leave the house during the week at 6:50. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning everyone,
    Such a cute picture, tt. Glad you fixed the camera. She must have missed you. Sounds like you had a wonderful TG at GT's. What a spread his partner put out. Is he a chef by any chance?
    We had a great time playing with the young kids. They are so good, and the game you recommended, tt - was a hit. One of the twins (they will be 3 in February) wanted to take it home, but the other one told him, "Oh no, then we won't have anything to play with the next time we come here." So cute!
    tt, too bad you had to fight the Black Friday shoppers, and come home empty handed. To string the tree lights is the most difficult part of decorating the tree; I hate doing it. A few years ago, we broke down and purchased an already strung tree.  So, now we have about 1000 tree lights in storage. Wish I could give you some.

I think you are smart, Lostgrouse - leaving Saturday, the traffic will be a nightmare  Sunday, when everyone wants to get home. It must be really pretty up in the mountains, where you are. Mitzy is a cat, mm once had.

Re: turkey. I take my turkey out, get it ready for the oven and then let it sit to get to room temperature, before I put it in the oven. Again using the thermometer, and it takes longer, than the 1/2 hour as recommended. I have never stuffed mine, since I have vegetarians, who like to have some of the stuffing. That cuts down on the roasting time. This year I removed the bird from the oven, when the breast meat was 155 degrees; not the recommended 165. Then let it sit covered for 1 hour (the turkey keeps cooking while sitting) before carving it. We ended up with the most moist turkey ever; no dry breast meat. There was a little red juice around the leg joints, but the meat was perfect.
    The boys and our DIL got together last night with their Boston friends. So I made turkey-pot-pie for DH and I (again doing Kar's piecrust.) It was delicious.

Remember how our ceiling collapsed a year ago? After we fixed that, we needed to paint that area, and even though our paint looked good in the rest of the house, there was a remarkable difference. So the entire house got a new coat. It really brightened things up, and we were so glad we did it. Unfortunately, I cannot recommend anyone for you, tt - we had our own guys doing it. But if you can wait until summer, there are college kids turning summer painters. Our friend used them. They did a fantastic job, were very clean and reasonable. They often put flyers in the mailboxes and advertise other places.

Another day to relax. Have things ready for breakfast, but the "kids" are still asleep. After they got home late last night, they started to watch movies. Only God knows, how late they went to bed. We may do some shopping and go out for dinner tonight. Hope you all have a great day - Pingo

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Just went out and filled the feeder, after a couple of days of it being empty.  I didn't even make it back in the house before there were sparrows at it.  Guess they were waiting and watching.

Glad the game was a hit with the kids.  Lilly is older, but I'm hoping she will still like it, I think her bro will like playing it with her too.

Thought of going out today to a few local stores, but Saturdays in and of themselves are to me a nightmare scene to shop, so rather than wander around not knowing what I'm looking for, will wait until next week.  Have no really big purchases to make anyway, so not a huge amount to be saved by getting out there today.

Did take the roast beef out of the freezer to thaw in the refrigerator last night. Haven't looked at it yet, but will definitely cook it later today.  Time for a nice piece of red meat.

Washes to do and a dishwasher to run, and perhaps a call from my son to go to his dau's to see her new house, and of course, the new babe.  Otherwise, I'll see if I can't set up a time convenient for her during the week - before snow flies.

Bet you're loving having the house full again, Pingo.  Brings back a lot of nice memories, I'm sure.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh yeah, tt - lots of memories. I wanted to do my turkey roulade, but the boys wanted the BIRD - so the bird is was.
    The twins will be three, but their brother is 6 this December - and he had fun with it too, so no worry - Lilly will love it.
    We are only going shopping to REI. A new $300 winter jacket we have been looking at for DH is $100 off - plus using PB sons membership card, we will get another 15% off. So it is a deal, we cannot let go by. I am not at all for browsing around on a Saturday Holiday. Try to do most of my Christmas shopping on the net. This year even more so, as we are celebrating in Texas - everything has to be shipped, and I get free shipping w/ Prime Amazon.
    Re: roastbeef. Try to slice a thin slice off all sides, when it is partially defrosted. It is easier to slice then. You will end up with a piece of good as new roast. Good luck. Let us know, how it turns out - Pingo

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

In Response to Re: November 2011:
    [QUOTE]"My mother's not going anywhere again overnight without me knowing - not without her bathrobe!" Remind you of Tigger and Boo, Amber?
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: November 2011 :
    Posted by ambergirl[/QUOTE]

Just came in to check the boards, and saw you saw my post (!)  Wish you could post from home, Amber.  I just sat and watched 48 hours and rolled $85 in coins.  Nice little amount to put towards filling my baskets.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: November 2011 : Just came in to check the boards, and saw you saw my post (!)  Wish you could post from home, Amber.  I just sat and watched 48 hours and rolled $85 in coins.  Nice little amount to put towards filling my baskets.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Oh, Amber, you're sitting there and not able to say a word!!  They got SS's problem fixed, now why can't they fix yours?!

Don't know if you've been out today, but it's so nice, almost - almost, makes me want to do some more raking.  I've still got the 2nd load of washes to fold and put away tho, so having just finished a cup of coffee and a couple of teeny choc cupcakes I found squirreled away in the freezer, guess I'll go back to 48 Hours Mystery and watch that while I fold. 

Go away from the computer now, it makes me sad to think of you there with something to say, and not being able to say it!  I won't post again this afternoon.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Icer, yes it was Maureen Hancock, I still get shivers when I think of that day.  She was on TV once, on a Saturday, her own show, very good...I think it was a pilot for more to come in Feb.  That would be good.ss

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Ambergirl... Years ago when #4DD started school, I went back to work part time, Every Sunday I would bake like crazy (felt quilty for working....silly huh?), one of my DDs just loved half moons and every year for her birthday she would ask for them instead of a cake!!  I only worked part time, for my lunch break I would have a salad and 2 half moons.....I can almost taste them. When my grandchildrens schools would ask for recipes for their cookbook fund raisers, I always gave them Half Moons and Apple coffee cake.  I only cooked a small turkey this year, other years when the whole crew were coming, I would put the turkey in the oven at midnite or later on 250 and in the morning my house would smell heavenly.....all I had to do then was up the degrees on the oven and in no time the bird was cooked.  SS

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning everyone,
    Good to see your postings, SS. Hope you had a nice TG. The way you used to do your turkey, was the way my mother would do it. Not just turkey, but ducks and roasts as well. I still remember, how heavenly her kitchen would smell at Christmas time. But I don't think anyone in the younger generation would go for that. We have been bombarded with food safety tips, plus no one think they have the time these days. Everything has to go fast. Not always for the better. Just compare a micro waved potato to a baked one. The micro wave cooks it alright, but the taste is far from, what a baked potato should taste like.
    tt, I believe Amber is using her iPhone trying to post. Btw. how did the roast turn out?
    Woke up this morning to a heavy fog blanket. Hope it will get better as the day goes by. We will be going to Chinatown for Dim Sum, then move around in Boston for a bit. DIL wants to go to her favorite bookstore on Beacon Hill. They carry antique books, which she collects.
    Texas son and DIL will be leaving tomorrow morning very early and PB son Tuesday morning. Seems like this holiday weekend went much too fast.
    Wish all, who has to  the travel, a safe trip home. Chat later - Pingo

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hello on this Sunday - afternoon, I guess it now is.

Working around doing a lot of little things.  Made a couple of phone calls.  Intended to run out to Job Lots to see if I could pick up some tree lights, but I dressed in my old work-around-the-house clothes this morning, and too lazy to change and get make up on.

Roast was good, pingo.  No freezer frost, I had carefully double wrapped it - found it was a cooked roast.  Still heated up with a little pink in the center, and so tender.  It was an eye of the round.  Not my favorite for taste when I buy one, but certainly the tenderest.  Must have been on sale.  I'll have another slice or two for supper tonight with potatoes and peas.  Lunch was some McCain's skinny fries and brown and serve sausages - Cheerio enjoyed a fry that had fallen on the floor - sure it was the salt she enjoyed.

Saw my P.B. crossing the street going away from my house around 11:30 this morning, so I know he is OK, haven't seen him in a few days.

Beautiful day to be walking a bit around Boston, Pingo.  You've certainly had a nice few days with your sons and DIL.  If  only this weather could continue through the rest of the month, huh?

Got to be back to my list of "things to do" before I lose momentum.  Hope everyone is enjoying their Sunday.  Good to see you posting regularly again, SS.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Greetings friends.  DH and DS are watching the game and I'm warming the oven for the Stuffed Shells.  We started decorating today, I'll see how the pic came out and if it looks good I'll post. We are going to be adding more stuff, but the game was starting. 
    Amber, that's so sad that you can read what we are saying but you can't post.  I know I can't post on my Android phone either. 
    tt, your roast sounds lovely.  Cheerio still guarding your bathrobe?
    Pingo, what a lovely day to be walking around Boston. 
    ss, sounds like my type of lunch.  :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Warmest greetings!  Haven't caught up a bit, yet, forgive me, but wanted to check in and say we got home safely after a wonderful trip.  I missed you all and tried to log in and post from my folks, but BDC wouldn't have it.

More tomorrow - can't wait to read all your TG family goings on.  Right now, it's 52 in the house...fingers...so.....cold.

Blessings,
    ~kar

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Just came back after a nice day in Boston. We didn't go to Chinatown though, but to Woburn (old Weylu's near the mall) where China Pearl have a second restaurant. The Dim Sum was as good there - if not better - than the one in Chinatown, if anyone is interested. Everything was piping hot, and they kept coming by with all kind of delicacies. And the parking lot is huge and FREE!!
    We did go to Boston afterwards, and had a nice time there. Walked around on Beacon Hill, my old neighborhood. Then a trip down to the waterfront and a stop at a Starbucks for a well deserved Mocha/Peppermint cuppa. It was a pretty, but cool afternoon.
    Now I am in the process of making my noodle casserole and a spinach/fennel/apple salad. With some of the leftover pies for dessert to end the meal.

Oh, I forgot to mention. REI has a lots of mark downs, if anyone are interested. Not only did we get the winter parka for DH, but the boys and our DIL bought shoes and boots, and I got a lot of stocking stuffers. Several pair of "Snuglers".
    - Pingo

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, glad to see you made it home safely. Can't wait to tell you about the pies.
    52 degrees in the house? WOW - good it wasn't colder out than it was, or your pipes could have frozen. Hope you are toasty warm tomorrow, so we can hear about your trip. - Pingo

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Sounds like you had a wonderful time Pingo.  52 brr...hope you get warm soon.  Are you picking up Gracie tomorrow?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Up bright and early (4:30). Sent off the first team. Next one will leave tmw. This holiday weekend went much too fast. We did a lot of wonderful things together, maybe that is why.
    Will check in later, when everyone on the Chat have opened their eyes - Pingo

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning - DH is home today (surprise!), and I have 2 appointments in Worcester this morning.  So, frustratingly enough, I'll have to come back this afternoon and get caught up.  Until then, have a great day!

~kar

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone.  Pingo, I'm glad you had a great time with your family and that PB son is here a little while longer.  Christmas will be here before you know it.  Here is a picture of some decorations.  You can't really see them

but we have icicle lights on the triangle part over the door.  We have two deer that move that we will be coming out and more candy cane lights.  We are going to get a lighted Christmas presents to go under the tree.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Christmas is coming!  Love the balls hanging from the Christmas tree, Winter.  BDC cut off part of Santa, but we can get the general effect.  Looks great!

Sounds as tho you packed a lot into the holiday, Pingo.  Glad the weather was so perfect for any outdoor plans.

Waiting to hear all about your Thanksgiving trip, Kargiver.  I'll be out this afternoon, so we'll probably miss each other, but hopefully you will have posted by the time I get home.

And you, Amber, what have you been saving all week-end to say? LOL

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Honey put up our outsde lights yesterday...Our neighborhood will officially light up this up-coming sunday, more secically Advent Sunday at 6 p.m.

Honey has spent the past 3 weekends working on the house of that boy that got the spinal cord injury..every door needed to be re-framed..and now..he is framing out an area of the house for an elevator. The whole thing kind of makes me proud to live here..I'll explain

This young man had an intense injury in the summer and has with stood re-learning how to do things with his new reality..yes...there have been many fund raisers. But the whole town has pitched it too. For the Football game on Thanksgiving..the boy was to do the coin toss...One of those big car companies promised a wheelchair accessable van to transport the young man...They failed to get the van to the home by 9 ...When our townspeople found this out at 9 a.m. ...that is when we swing into action...phones rings...folks answer...and viola....The Senior van shows up to transport the lad to the feild...I think the football team carried him dwn to the feild...the only bummer...we lot the game...I love my town

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Oh, Icer.  It must make you very proud to live there.  I was talking about that young man and you just this Thanksgiving to someone at G.T.'s who knows a 19yr old who was involved in a terrible motorcycle accident about the same time.  She was saying he is in a rehab in VA, I think and all the work that has to be done on his family's home when he is ready to be discharged.  I was telling her about your town and how everyone had come together to donate services to make it possible for your friend to come home, and that I was sure this young man's town would do the same.  God bless all those involved.