November 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Re: November 2011

Amber was in her glory with all the company : )  Tigger was his charming self and Boo hid in my room.  LOL!  Winter glad to hear Yoda is getting more mischevous.  My DD lives with a kitten MJ and she is a hellion from what DD tells me.  I said, no she is a kitten and you just forgot what that is like!  Too funny : )  You are right tt, the unplanned company, like an unplanned night out, always seems to be the most fun.  tt, you are so funny about the cable guy coming back for Gracie : )

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Glad you had such a great TG, ambergirl. :)  

I got another 1/2 month refund for the cable problems.  He's still not here, and he's usually early - I wonder if that means they don't have a new box to give us.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Maybe he's sprucing up for Gracie?  For all our jokes, it really isn't funny.  Just irritating and disruptive to your day I'm sure.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning everyone,
    So PB son left this morning. The end of a wonderful holiday. But he is coming back this weekend - driving his car, loaded to the top with all his personal "stuff". Then leave the car here w/o plates. An intern will be using his apartment until end of June, so he is leaving all his furniture there. Come June he will just donate them to a good cause. He has already gotten good mileage out of them. Some nice stuff though, but the shipping cost is not worth for him to keep them.
    Winter, I too am glad for you, you have no problems w/ Verizon. We had nothing but problems w/ them.  Was w/o a land phone for almost 6 months (tG for cell phones); the phone was ringing, but there was so much cracking and noise, we couldn't keep a conversation going. Got credit for 3 of them - that was "the best" they could do. "Cracked lines" tt? That is a new one; here is was always "water in the lines". They came here 7 (yes, seven) times to fix it. Not until one of their elderly workers gave me the number of one of their really higher ups, did it get fixed. Wishing you good luck, Winter.
    Kar, your Pumpkin Pie was such a hit. Best ever. PB son is the only one, who actually likes it - but this time several  guests wanted to have a taste and loved it. It is definitely a keeper. Only one thing, I will have to adjust is the amount of the filling. I have Emily Henry's deep dish pie plates, so it looked a bit shallow, when I served it. I think 1/3 more of everything will do the job. DIL loved your crust and took your recipe home to Texas. I made the crust again for a turkey-pot-pie. But since I never have whole milk in the house, I used half skim milk and half half'n half; two things I always have in my refrigerator. Came out as well as when using whole milk.
    Haven't been at my office for several days. There must be a huge pile for me to do - so I better get going. You all have a nice day - so sad this holiday vacation is over. - Pingo

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, YAY for the pies and crust, thanks so much for letting me know - I'm jumping for joy just imagining your happiness with everyone's enjoyment of all your hard work - isn't that the best?!  Yes, I have standard 9" pyrex pie dishes.  Adding another 1/3 to the recipe ought to be just right.  I never have whole milk, either, but I buy the smallest amount I can for the pies.  I've mixed skim and cream, and it hasn't worked as well as yours did; you must have gotten the fat content exactly right!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I can't remember who posted the recipe for the spinach dip, Winter or November (sorry guys!)  but I have to tell you it was a HUGE hit. When my company dropped by later that night, I reheated what was left and I swear it tasted even better.  Cousin said the Tostidos were perfect for it too. I only made half the recipe, so I mentioned to DD that I can make another batch this week and she said, I am coming over this weekend, so please make more!  Thanks so much and it is a keeper for appetizers for the Holidays.

ETA: I stand corrected.  DD's friend who loves my barbecues informed me I must make that in the summer too...  LOL!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Sounds like you had a wonder time Pingo.  So this morning I walk into the kitchen to find our maybe 4lb kitten had taken out all of the cardboard boxes in the recycle pile.  He had quite a party. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Oh Winter, how funny!!  Yes, Yoda is now home : )

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

It was me Amber!! I'm so glad you liked it.  I've never had any left over to reheat, but it's great that it can be. 
    Oh I need to thank you and tt.  I made Deviled eggs for the first time and they were great.  I did use regular Mayo and a tiny bit of brown mustard.  I also made clam dip.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

If only he would come to us to be picked up..but maybe some day.  I don't want to be the nice lady that opens the cans forever. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Half of that recipe makes a lot and it was just me and DD at first.  She was the one who asked me to wrap the rest up for her to take home : ) That didn't happen, reheated for company who gobbled it up! Ha!  Glad you liked the deviled eggs, another favorite of DD and so easy to make.  You must now post your clam dip!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Winter, my cat Bandit never came to me when I first got her.  She was the wild and crazy one.  But when she hit around 4, she started coming around, sitting in my lap for a short while. I remember the first time, I just loved it and was afraid to breathe!  Sadly I lost her that year. So hang in there, he is just feeling his oats right now.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Oh the clam dip is easy, it came from DH.  It's a package of cream cheese and a can of the chopped clams (we use Snow's I think).  You use a little of the clam juice.  Just mix the ingredients together. 

I hope I don't have to wait until he's 4.  He does put his paws on the couch and looks at me with these HUGE eyes.  I tell him he's a good boy and to come up, but no such luck.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, we joked that it was actually GRACIE who was sabotaging the cable to get Keith back here, lol.  She adores him, and the feeling is mutual.  

We didn't get him this time (he said he was thinking about switching to "outside" work on the lines), but we did get a nice, capable replacement cable guy.  In fact, Keith had missed our problem, a totally frayed cable connector.  I'm certain that was the problem, it was so obviously damaged; I'm stunned Keith ever missed it, but those things happen.

Pretty soon we'll all be serving the same things every holiday!  Pie crust, spinach dip, whoopie pies....  Funny!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Kar, glad the new guy was able to find a problem.  Did he still give you a new box?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks!  Me, too.  What a pita.  But, no, he didn't replace the box.  However, the cable was so frayed it had to be the problem.  He said anything that frayed acts as an antennae picking up random satellite signals and hosing up the cable signal.  I cannot believe anyone before him missed it numerous times.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    Glad you got your cable cable fixed. Sometimes we miss the most obvious things, b/c they are taken for granted. This happened to me during the Laborday weekend. I always have the iron board up in my laundry room and the iron plugged in - but turned off.  My DIL used it, and being the responsible person she is, she unplugged the iron. When I wanted to use it - of course it didn't work. So out I go and b*tch to DH, that my not very old iron was not working any longer. They don't make them like they used to. Bla, bla, bla! He comes w/ me to check it, "You didn't plug it in, you silly". Was my face red!
     - Pingo

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

LOL!  Good thing you didn't b*tch to DIL for putting your iron away broken and not telling you - now that would have been really embarrassing! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi Everybody -

Sounds like everybody had a nice Thanksgiving.  Felt like a breeze this year.  All I had to do was make the turkey, stuffing and mashed potatoes.  Didn't even make a pie which felt a little weird, but there was plenty of food and we ate, took a long walk by the river, ate some more and played board games well into the night.  Friday, I visited with the family of my friend who passed away.  Her daughter invited me to dinner at her house and I got to see her brother and sisters, as well. Seemed so strange not to see my friend sitting at her usual spot at the table.  Saturday was the funeral.  So, instead of sitting around moping about the recent losses, I've decided to find a way to celebrate each of their lives in one form or another and count my blessings for having known them.

I'm waiting to cover the furniture on my deck, but my marigolds and geraniums are still blooming.  I can't bear to throw them away.  I can't remember annuals lasting so long into the fall.  Took advantage of the warm weather and planted the rest of the bulbs on Sunday. 

kar, I learned the hard way to ask for a new box.  When I switched to hd, I went through three boxes before a friend told me the cable companies recycle the old boxes that get dropped off.   Sounds like this guy found your problem though.  I've had Comcast for a long time now - cable, phone and internet.  When I've had problems, the service has been 50/50. 

winter, my new (relatively) male cat did not come near me for quite awhile. I'd say it took about a year.  Even now, he jumps up into my lap but only stays for  a few seconds.  Now that's it's colder at night, I have a fleece blanket I use while watching tv.  He likes to crawl under the blanket and he stays as long as I let him.  He's still pretty aloof.

Can't believe Christmas is so close.  I have very little shopping to do these days.  The kids all get gift cards or cash and the adults in my family do a grab. This year, I had a picture card made.  First time I've ever done it.  When the family was all together this summer in Maine, we had a picture taken and it came out very well.  I think it will be nice for my far flung relatives to see everybody.  They're always asking for pictures of the family and I never send them.

Well, I better get back to work.  Took a nice walk at lunchtime.  Just beautiful out.

mothermitzi

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

OMG! I don't even want to think about that scenario.

In Response to Re: November 2011:
    [QUOTE]LOL!  Good thing you didn't b*tch to DIL for putting your iron away broken and not telling you - now that would have been really embarrassing! 
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Winter,  I thought you might find this article helpful  http://www.urbancatleague.org/SocialKittens.htm

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Nice to see your post, mm - and glad to hear you had a nice TG despite your recent losses. How nice of your friend's daughter to invite you for dinner; she must must have known you and your friend were close.
    I had removed my geraniums from my container and thrown them on the heap. They didn't look so well towards the end of the summer, besides I wanted to plant my mums. What do you know? They are all blooming very happily on top of the heap. The boys were laughing, "Look at this mom, and you thought the summer was over. You must be the only one with a flowering compost heap". I also have several pansies flowering in a container on my deck. It is a large pot and I can't move it, so I leave it there, and the pansies have apparently found some new life. Really strange at this time of the year.
    Wish I could have joined you for a walk on the Charles. We did go to Boston, while the boys were visiting, but I miss Charles. - Pingo

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

MM, what is the name of your cat :) Sounds like you had a great Thanksgiving.  I have to get a move on the Christmas Card front.  Usually I'm writing them out now.  Pingo, that's too funny about the flowering compost heap. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi pingo -

Funny story about your geraniums! The planters in front of our office building have had pansies in them since the mums died off.  They used to be an early spring plant but they're suited to this weather, too. I suspect they'll be switched out with seasonal greens soon. 

I love walking along the river.  It's so mild, I may walk home tonight.  I'll take advantage of it while I can.  Once the snow flies, I can't walk there. 

My friend who just died was my neighbor when we first moved here.  In fact, she lived in the house where the guys and their family live now.  She was a generation older but we were always good friends.  She only had one child at home by the time we moved in, but I know all of her kids.  She moved to Lexington and always regretted selling her house.  When she drove, she used to come and see me frequently, just to be back in the neighborhood.

Will your PB son be joining you in Texas for Christmas or is he staying in London?

mothermitzi 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

mm, I so wish we could post non-anon photos; I'd love to see your Christmas card, but I can just imagine it's wonderful and everyone will enjoy getting it.  Love your approach to missing loved ones.  I also gazed at my grandmother's empty typical spots, but thankfulness for her life definitely outweighs the sadness of her having gone Home.

Guess what?  The cable guy is on his way back.  I can hardly believe the frayed cable wasn't the whole problem - it was beyond damaged and was a wonder we got a signal at ALL, but it still pixilates randomly.  mm, you went through 3 boxes?!  Ugh...what a pain.

I was going to walk Gracie, but the cable problem threw a wrench in my plan.  Have to be here for whenever he arrives.  And, I'm making pumpkin bread right now (computer in the kitchen).