November 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Re: November 2011

In Response to Re: November 2011:
    [QUOTE]tt, I only butted in, because I know people, who will not attempt anything on or off Rt. 1. (I don't blame them). So if Winter is like that, I believe coming from the Malden, Melrose, Stoneham area (which I believe, she is), Lynnfells Parkway sounds a lot less threatening. I am very happy with that Job Lot. I have not been to any other, but if I can get DH to go shopping w/ me there a second time, that means it is ok. I once took him to 19 1/2 in Burlington. He stepped in, looked around and told me, "You do your shopping, I will wait in the car." Truly! Did you pickup your bird seeds? What did you pay for them?  We are  due for another couple of bags. My birds loved the last bag, we picked up from there. Actually we did pick up two bags. The first was so full of corn, but the second one was a birds delight. As far as turkey pans w/o handles - I would just use two or three for stability depending on the size of the turkey. I have done that in the past. And I paid a lot more than 25 cents for each of them. That was of course a long time ago, before I got my fancy, pansy pan, I hardly ever use. Now that I cook two smaller turkeys in my convection/microwave oven, I just use a normal size baking pan. How was the meat loaf dinner? I am waiting for DH to come home from his tennis game. It's Thursday night after all. I have leftovers for him; I ate a nice liverwurst sandwich w/ sliced cucumber. Yum! Have a nice evening - pingo In Response to Re: November 2011 :
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

As you know Pingo, I love liverwurst, but have to confess I never heard of cucumber on it.  I will have to try it since I am a cucumber fan too : )

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning.  Let's see what time this says.  My computer tells me it's 9:12. 

ETA:  It seems to be the right time. :) 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If I'd taken the camera with me yesterday you'd understand better why they still don't have power!  If I go out, again, I'll take it, but my plan is to stay in and cook.  In fact, I'm already behind for the day.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Amber, "you guys" eat pickled cucumbers on and with anything and everything - why not try the freshly cut ones? Hope you like it - Pingo

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: November 2011 : As you know Pingo, I love liverwurst, but have to confess I never heard of cucumber on it.  I will have to try it since I am a cucumber fan too : )
    Posted by ambergirl[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning all,
    Sounds like everyone (on the CC) have their power back by now. What a mess that was. Kar, bless you for shopping in a store using a flash light. It sounds funny, but truly it is not. You must have made the owner happy.
    I just don't understand why it has to be like this. This is supposed to be a developed country - lots of brains and technology. In my home country, where we have lots of snow and severe winter storms - I never heard of black outs lasting for days. What are we doing wrong here?
    tt, have a great day with your friend. Kalooping and eating lunch. Where are you going for lunch? Hope you will find some treasures.
    I decided I needed a break from the office today. DH didn't like it much - but I just needed to collect myself. Besides, I still have a lot of his laundry to finish. Now mostly ironing, which I love to do. Plus I have errands to do. Costco, TJ's and whatever grocery store is on my way.
    Sounds like you all have nice plans for the weekend. I am going to plan for TG. Menu, shopping list etc. We are only going to be 12 - but I like to be ahead of myself. Whatever I can pick up early, I will. I am going to make the Ina Garten's Turkey Roulade again. It was a hit last year. For me especially. Lots of preparations, but so easy to slice and serve. Everyone loved it. And I am cutting down on the sides as well. Did anyone see DogLady's recipe on Pumpkin Whoopie Pies? They sound wonderful. I may make those.
    You all have a great day - Pingo

ps. I am posting @ 10:09

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

[QUOTE]Amber, "you guys" eat pickled cucumbers on and with anything and everything - why not try the freshly cut ones? Hope you like it - Pingo In Response to Re: November 2011 :
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

I am def going to try it.  I love cucumbers.  When I was a kid, I would peel one and eat it with a little salt and pepper.  So good...  going to stop & shop after work, I now have to pick a couple up. Yum!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pumpkin Whoopie pies are in this month's Everyday Food, too.  (11:14)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

My son has his last soccer game of the Fall season tomorrow and than basketball should start up soon.  He is going to play for our new town, since he hasn't meant many children in the town yet.  For Thanksgiving I am cooking, but I think it's only 4 or 5 people, which is fine with me. I can't think of that yet, as I am again in charge of my son's baked goods table at the school bazaar on the 18th and I need to do some serious baking.  tt, you mentioned a chocolate cookie recipe, can you share that?  I make sugar, chocolate chip and peanut blossoms already, but last year kids asked for chocolate cookies.  I may make a molasses one as well.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Amber, please try one of the Hothouse or English ones. (Don't know what they label them as in your grocery store). It is longer than the usual cukes and usually wrapped in plastic. Go for the slimmer ones. Feel it before you buy. It should be firm and solid. I usually bend the ends. If they are soft, put it back.
    Funny you should say that. When our sons were staying at home, they always fought for the end of the cucumber, when I made my cucumber salad. I solved that by buying two - one for the salad and one for eating out of hand. It also goes well with a plate of crucifiers and a dip.
    Do you think, I love my cucumbers? - Pingo

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: November 2011 : I am def going to try it.  I love cucumbers.  When I was a kid, I would peel one and eat it with a little salt and pepper.  So good...  going to stop & shop after work, I now have to pick a couple up. Yum!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

[QUOTE]Amber, please try one of the Hothouse or English ones. (Don't know what they label them as in your grocery store). It is longer than the usual cukes and usually wrapped in plastic. Go for the slimmer ones. Feel it before you buy. It should be firm and solid. I usually bend the ends. If they are soft, put it back. Funny you should say that. When our sons were staying at home, they always fought for the end of the cucumber, when I made my cucumber salad. I solved that by buying two - one for the salad and one for eating out of hand. It also goes well with a plate of crucifiers and a dip. Do you think, I love my cucumbers? - Pingo In Response to Re: November 2011 :
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

I am pretty sure I have seen them.  Will try them for sure.  I have always loved cucumbers.  I also peel one, slice it up, put a little cidar vinegar over them in a bowl with salt and pepper.  But my favorite is just plain.  I love my cucumbers too so you are not alone!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

[QUOTE]RDG, to whom are you replying? In Response to Re: November 2011 :
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

I believe she is responding to what you wrote Pingo
     " I never heard of black outs lasting for days. What are we doing wrong here?"

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: November 2011 : I believe she is responding to what you wrote Pingo  "  I never heard of black outs lasting for days. What are we doing wrong here?"

Arrgghhh....  time stamp off again.  Monday should be interesting..........

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

What are we doing wrong here?

Capitalism.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

RDG, to whom are you replying?

[QUOTE]What are we doing wrong here? Capitalism.
    Posted by reindeergirl[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Guess everyone has given up on posting with this time stamp thing; can't blame anyone.  We're trying to have a discussion in Parents, and it's so frustrating!

Well, not sure where this will appear, but it's been a busy afternoon.  Got butternut squash pureed with butter and pumpkin pie spice, baked a pumpkin, and made pumpkin bread (in oven).  Must walk Gracie at 4:30, an hour after her dinner, and then cook the cabbage for dinner and do the dishes.  Can't believe the day is almost over.

Hope everyone had a good Friday and that this ridiculous time stamp thing rights itself over the weekend.

~kar

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Winter.  Just got in and saw your request for the choc cookies.  I made them once, googled www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/chocolate-drop-cookies.
    The recipe calls for frosting them too, which I didn't do.  It makes a soft cake like cookie, in fact these are the ones that I filled the ones I had left, and made the faux whoopie pies by filling them with whipped vanilla frosting (also Betty Crocker).  If you aren't able to come up with the recipe by googling (easier for you to print that way), then let me know and I'll be glad to post the recipe.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Hi Winter.  Just got in and saw your request for the choc cookies.  I made them once, googled www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/chocolate-drop-cookies. The recipe calls for frosting them too, which I didn't do.  It makes a soft cake like cookie, in fact these are the ones that I filled the ones I had left, and made the faux whoopie pies by filling them with whipped vanilla frosting (also Betty Crocker).  If you aren't able to come up with the recipe by googling (easier for you to print that way), then let me know and I'll be glad to post the recipe.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

Oh, I bet BC frosting would make great whoopie pie filling, nice and smooth, not grainey or too light (like whipped cream) like some I've had.  I've been known to eat it with a spoon like fudge.  Embarassed

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

kar,

Why don't you sell some of your yummies - and some of your veggies - to local restaurants? Seriously. Chefs love locally-grown produce.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]kar, Why don't you sell some of your yummies - and some of your veggies - to local restaurants? Seriously. Chefs love locally-grown produce.
    Posted by reindeergirl[/QUOTE]

There are a couple of local restaurants that might be interested in our potatoes, particularly - not sure what laws are involved there (if any).  We grew far too many potatoes this year, and I don't know how to keep them indefinitely.  Pickled potato, anyone?  As for yummies...we eat those. :)

Will this post with a time stamp of 9:02?  Doubtful, but here it goes...

ETA:  OK, it better be fixed after DST.  Keeping up with conversation that's out of order is so obtuse!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone.  Thanks tt, I'll look for the recipie and let you know if I find it. I hope everyone has a good morning.  We are off to my son's game shortly.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

They already taste odd and are kind of soft.  It was our first time with them.  Apparently, DH wasn't supposed to wash them all at once.  Whoops.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Well...I will be taking the yard debris down to our town compost

My post time 9:46

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

[QUOTE]They already taste odd and are kind of soft.  It was our first time with them.  Apparently, DH wasn't supposed to wash them all at once.  Whoops.  
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

We leave ours in the ground till we want to use them..

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

Hm, what's going...well, DH is out with Gracie and will be back by 10:30 because the neighbor's teen is coming over (his request) to help DH with whatever needs to be done - he must want to buy something.  He's a good worker and is very polite...always compliments me on lunch.  While they're outside, I'll be doing housework.  You'd think I'd not have anything to do on the weekends for being home during the week, but it never ends!  I also want to make the roasted chicken and butternut soup I didn't get to yesterday.  Nothing too exciting, I guess, but there you have it.

What are you doing with you mom today, Prin?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: November 2011 : We leave ours in the ground till we want to use them..
    Posted by icer[/QUOTE]

Ah, I'll let DH know, thanks.