November 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: November 2011

Kar, meet me half way and we'll take some potatoes off your hands.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Good morning - looks like a nice day today.  Much better than last weekend.  What's everyone got going on today?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks for all the potato storage info, Pingo and icer.  DH will do this next time, and we'll have potatoes for a lonnnng time.  They were quite prolific producers.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

God morning Kar,
    When I was a kid, my dad stored potatoes for the entire winter in our cool but frost free cellar in boxes, he punched holes in and then layered the potatoes in between newspapers. Your are NOT supposed to wash the potatoes before storing - just get the worst of the dirt off.  The last potato tasted as good as the first one. They have to be kept in the dark or they will turn green, and they will not be edible.
    But just to make sure, I didn't give you wrong info, I checked on the net and here is a pretty good website from the Gardner's Supply:
    http://www.gardeners.com/Storing-Potatoes-Onions-Garlic-Squash/5021,default,pg.html
    Too bad if you have ruined yours already. So much effort and work has been to put into them. But we always learn by our mistakes. Don't we? - Pingo

In Response to Re: November 2011:
    [QUOTE]They already taste odd and are kind of soft.  It was our first time with them.  Apparently, DH wasn't supposed to wash them all at once.  Whoops.  
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm almost always in my fleecy one-piece sack-like thingy when the cable guy comes - I'm sure all the early morning service guys are used to that attire, Pingo. :)

We grew a Maine variety called Kenebunk.  It could be a type of Russet, not sure.  I'm not a fan of Maine potatoes (much to my step-dad's chagrin being from Aroostic County, Maine).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning all,
    Winter, good luck with your son's last game. You must be freezing out there watching. At least basket ball is an inside event. You are so smart to have your son play for the  town you live in. He will meet new friends. One of the bad things going to a parochial school is, that you don't have friends in your neighborhood. We have been through that. And guess what? Our boys survived. The pluses outweighed the minuses plenty. But like you, we made sure to sign them up for some of our town's sports, when they were in the elementary/middle school age. But when in high-school, they themselves selected to be part of their "home teams". However, some of their very best friends are the ones, they met at our towns sports teams. So one never know.
    We woke up this morning w/o heat. Waiting for my oil guy to come and turn on the burner. Dressed in my fleeces finest? I am feeling awful, and not for myself. The news last night showed people in Belchertown still have no heat and el after the last storm - and may not get it until Monday.
    tt, you didn't tell us about your yesterday's shopping at Home Goods. Or did I miss it due to this annoying time stamp? Hope it was a good event for you and that you found some treasures.
    Good luck November, showing off Jax in his Big Brother t-shirt. I am hoping we will get a picture of him here.
    - Pingo

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, what kind of potatoes did you grow? I love the Fingerlings or the Yukon Golds. Use the Golds for most of my potato cooking. Make the tastiest mashed potatoes. Would love to be able to grow my own Fingerlings - they are expensive to buy - Pingo

In Response to Re: November 2011:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for all the potato storage info, Pingo and icer.  DH will do this next time, and we'll have potatoes for a lonnnng time.  They were quite prolific producers.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I am not sure what we grow either...kind of whatever we have

Time...correct

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

We're up not so bright and early due to the time change...how about everyone else?

I'm dying to know if the time stamp problem is resolved so here goes.  It's 6:24...

ETA:  WOO HOO!!!!  Success!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning!
    Looking forward to a hot shower this morning. Yesterday's shower was cold. Our furnace  stopped working during the night. - The service guy came at noon time and "fixed " it. That lasted for an hour. He came back last night and really fixed the problem. One connection had come loose, so the oil line was sucking in air and the burner doesn't like air bubbles. Fortunately he didn't charge us for the second visit, but he had already charged us plenty earlier IMO.
    What happened to the "spring like" temperatures, we were supposed to have? It's nippy out there, with rim on the lawn.
    Our town is supposed to go trick or treat tonight, but we won't be at home. Have a function to attend. Well, I did my duty last Monday, sitting in vain for the goblins.
    Kar lucked out with the time stamp. Let's see what mine says. I am posting @ 7:37.
    Chat later - Pingo

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, a cold shower is the worst, Pingo - glad he didn't charge you even more to fix his mistake.

Our town trick-or-treated last night; I had forgotten, but was reminded when I picked up our pizza and had to go into an area of town more suitable for candy gathering and had to be very careful not to run over the revelers who didn't seem very wary of traffic.  We had nary a goblin come by.  Good thing - I had nothing to give them since we've never had one come before.

The sun is out, and DH has agreed to let the teen next door work with him, again today.  He's a good worker, but DH doesn't need help, but the kid is well-mannered and works hard - he derserves the chance.  And, they don't eat vegetables "over there."  We ask, "Do you like xyz-vegetable," at lunchtime, and he always says, "I don't know, I've never had it."  ???  Anyway, he seems to really like everything I serve and is happy to try "new" things.  Gosh, I wonder what they do eat...cereal?  Meat?

DH is getting ready to take Gracie before the day of work begins.  I'm lounging enjoying my cuppa, far too attached to the wood stove to want to kaloop through the woods.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I wonder if our time thing has been fixed?

seems to be fixed

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Pingo,

Your time-stamp is correct.

Cold showers are the worst! Years ago, our hot water heated died, and plumber couldn't come for a few of days. I tried one cold shower - then used the gym for my showers.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I've been known to heat up water on the stove and take a sponge bath from the sink when we've not had hot water.  Bathing in cold water makes me cry.  And, yeah, when I worked where there were showers I went to work in my sweats and got ready there rather than suffer a cold shower.

So psyched to have a break in the kitchen today, although, due to the Wellnessmat, I really can't complain.  It completely prevents the pain and fatigue of standing a long time.  I still can't recommend it highly enough.  Like the Stegmann clogs, it's not cheap, but worth every penny and more.  Best birthday present EVER!

I suppose I should shake a leg.  DH will be home and the neighbor's kid over in 45 minutes.  I should be dressed, huh.

I miss my grandmother when Sandra Lee (Semi-Homemade on the Food Network) comes on.  She used to call and laugh at her "no one will ever know you didn't slave for hours [on this mostly store-bought stuff]" theme saying, "I'd know, ha ha ha."  Oh, this is "Money Saving Meals," and that's new.  She's funny on that, too, saying things like, "If you buy chicken breasts that's expensive, but a whole mess of wings is a lot cheaper."  Yeah...really?  LOL  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, where are you today? Are you ok? And mm, we haven't heard from you for a while. Is all well? - Pingo

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi All -

Hope everybody had a nice weekend. Couldn't beat the weather!  Today was just beautiful.  I've returned to walking along the river, although my foot still bothers me from time to time.  However, it's not nearly as bad as before.  Once it gets too cold, I'm hoping to get back on the dreaded treadmill, even if it's at a slower pace and lower elevation. After my walk, I planted bulbs and raked some leaves. Last year, my DD and SIL were living here and my SIL did the raking.  I miss him! This morning I had a morning glory bloom.  I thought for sure they were finished after the storm last weekend, and it's been cold at night although we haven't had a hard frost in the city yet. My mums still look good and the ornamental cabbages will last well into the winter.

Yesterday, I collected my father and we took a ride to Essex.  Drove the Lanesville - Rockport route and had lunch at the Village Restaurant.  It was a toss up between there and the Clam Box.  I really expected a long line at the Clam Box, but when we were driving by on the way home, there wasn't a line at all. Probably won't get back there this year.  Also stopped at Russell's on Argila Road and bought some of their apple cider donuts and a couple half gallons of cider.  It was a beautiful day for a ride.

The office is very somber these days.  The owner of the company I work for is very ill and not expected to live.  His son, my current boss, has been in NY for the past month or so tending to business there.  His flaky sister that I wasted a year training is on the lam somewhere and cannot be reached.  Great material for a soap opera, except this is real life.  The last time I went to NY I went to visit my old boss and spent an hour with him.  We did a lot of reminiscing and I'm very glad I was able to see him.  I had  a feeling it would be the last time. 

I finally got hold of one of my cousins in Connecticut.  They were without power for six days.  A friend of mine in Sterling, MA just got her power back today!  We really dodged a bullet where I live.  Have a great week everybody!

mothermitzi  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!  So nice to have the timestamp and order restored to the threads.

mm, great to hear from you.  Yes, a beautiful weekend it was, indeed.  Glad you enjoyed it with your dad.  Sorry to hear about your company's "soap opera," stemming from his poor health.  Funny how different siblings, raised the same way in the same home, handle things totally differently.

We had a good weekend, too, but it went by too fast.  DH was gone in a whirlwind this morning...sigh.  Got the stove going even though it will be warmer today - it was 60 in here this morning; too cold to let the sun get things comfortable.  You can guess where Gracie is.  

Well, I've got to sign off until after I get back from the chiropractor and Trader Joe's.  Have a great morning, everyone.

~kar

ETA:  People are still without power out my way, too.  Guess we were fortunate to get it back after 4 days.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Kar, the weekends always seem to go by too fast.  Don't spend too much money at TJ's!

mothermitzi

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning.
    Just checking in this morning.  Good to see the timestamp what it should be.
    Have a dental appt. this morning and then meeting a friend afterwards.  Will check the boards later.  Good to see your post. Mothermitzi.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning everyone,
    Hope you all had a nice weekend. Like Kar said, it went too fast.
    Glad to see your post mm, but sorry to hear about your old boss. I remember you mentioned it a while ago. Good you got to spend some time with him, while you were down there last. How is your son doing? Out of harms way?
    Good luck w/ your dental appointment, tt. I have my GYN appointment later today - not looking forward to it much.
    Kar, happy trip to TJ's. I need to go myself. Was planning to this Saturday, but then we had all the trouble with our boiler - so it got postponed. May go this morning before my Dr.'s appointment. I am in particular looking for the Peppermint Oreos to send to our TX son. He loves them, but they are only on the shelves around the holidays. Those and a couple of pounds of Dunkin Donut Coffee beans. No TJ's and DD in San Antonio - except they now have one DD at the airport, but it is inside security.
    Will check in later. You all enjoy this "warm" day - Pingo

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi pingo -

Yes, he's ok.  He was in the states in October and came up to Boston for a day to
    attend my father's birthday party.  I probably won't see him again until the winter.  Sorry to read about your boiler.  Nothing worse than waking up in a cold house.  I love peppermint, too, especially Brigham's peppermint stick ice-cream! Have a great day.

mothermitzi  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone.  Busy weekend as usual in Winter home.  DS's team won the soccer game, my son fell and scraped his knee, had a band aide put on, went back in the game and scored a goal.  Made a roast beef yesterday and invited my mom over for dinner.  mm, nice to hear from you, but I'm very sorry about your boss.  I too like those TJ cookies. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Hi Everyone!  Just wanted to let you know I'm still here.  Its been really busy at work lately and looks like it will continue to be, at least for a little bit.

Haven't read through all the weekend's posts, or even all of Friday's yet, but hope everyone is well. 

We told our parents and siblings this weekend.  That was a lot of fun and everyone is excited. 

Chat later (i hope)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi winter.  I miss the days when my kids played sports.  Seemed like a lot of running around at the time, but now I miss it :-(   A roast beef dinner sounds yummy.  Bet we'll all want one now!

november, I bet your family was thrilled at the news.  Hope you are feeling well. Any morning woopsies?  

mothermitzi  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

So far I'm feeling really good.  Just tired - like in bed asleep at 8:30 tired!  That and a little soreness "up top."  I haven't felt sick, but my appetitie is down.  Nothing looks appealing.  I just make sure I keep eating something.   Hopefully the morning woopsies stay away!

Sections
Shortcuts