November 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

November 2012

I'm glad October is over, what with the earthquake and Frankenstorm.  i love Thanksgiving, too.  What is on the docket for all of you this month?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Re: November 2012

Mornin Hats...Good for you ...you got to start a thread...I too like Thanksgiving..We had a dozen or so Trick or Treaters last night...I need to print out the pictures and we put them up in the bar in the screened in porch...this year we added Zach...although he hated his costume

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Hard to believe it's November already! Happy Thursday everyone. I forget who it was who was talking about the dragon. I thought of the post last night when a friend of mine posted pictures on Facebook of her son in a dragon costume. Must be popular this year. My baby niece went as a cow for trick or treat and spider man princess for her Halloween party at day care.  My nephew also texted pics of her dressed up in last year's monkey costume and "reading" Curious George. To which my son stated" How many costumes does she have?" I just laughed at that...being a little girl who likes to dress up she has several. Something my 20 something son just doesn't get. He will someday..lol

Had a 1 1/2 hour personal training session this morning so am feeling very energetic but still going to go in search of coffee since Hubbie left early this morning.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Nice Fall morning.  Waiting for crew to get here, and after power washer guy has done his thing, will head out.

Was quiet as far as trick or treaters around here, only heard a couple of small bands going next door.  GD sent pics of Lilly, her Papa, and her bro and sis before they went out.  They looked great.  My DIL called and was talking to me while she was at home tending the door to their trick or treaters.  I'm sure they got rid of all the candy they had bought.

Oops, stairs guy are here and backing up trucks in the driveway.  Catch you alll later.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning and happy November!

I love all the dress up stories...too bad we do not have the ability to post photos, anymore.  

We enjoyed our Halloween, low-sugar, no white flour cookies that DH said more than satisfied his craving for candy.  I sent him to work with a couple so he can resist the bowls of leftover candy that make him sick every year. Anyone with a sugar/white flour concern who'd like the recipe, email me at kargiverbdc at gmail...it's definitely a keeper.

No traffic on our road last night, and anyone would have a death wish to trick or treat by here - it's pitch black without one street light, curvy, narrow, and the houses are far apart.  Until some of the older kids on the street have kids (5 - 10 years from now) I doubt we'll have trick or treaters.

We're celebrating Thanksgiving at SIL's house.  She asked me to bring pecan pie, and I have a special recipe that I LOVE for it so I'm looking forward to that.  I'll make DH the cookies I just made so he can have safe treats, and the pie will be "bad." :)  We're hosting Christmas.

Prin, I hope your TG will be a JOINT effort...I got anxious to read how many people you're hosting.

The Bourbon brine in this month's Cooking Light is amazing.  I did a chicken with it, and it would be superb for a turkey.  No worries about the smoke or grill part; I just roasted it in the oven.  DH loved the flavor, too.  I'd brine a turkey 2 days and a chicken 24 hours next time (not 18 like it called for).

Tomorrow is my day East with a friend I used to work with.  She changed jobs and works in Framingham, now, so we have a lot of restaurnts to to choose from...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, best wishes for the stairs project!  I hope it doesn't rain...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT, Good luck with the stairs today.   Icer, was it Zach who was the dragon?  Or was it TT's pumpkin?  Anyhow, I can understand the little ones hating their costumes - they don't have the motivation to like them that the older ones do. 

My DH kept a list of all the costumes DD wore from year 0 to year 15....from witch baby to Doctor.  A nice idea, I think, for those with little ones to begin to do in the baby book or a scrap book.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Happy November.....Only had 2 trick or treaters last night.  I was the ony house on the street with the lights on and still no one came.....its a dead end st. with no kids so I suppose it was to be expected.  I just know if I didn't prepare for trick or treaters I would be bombarded.  Looks like a nice day out, getting a perm later (still working with my winnings from July at Foxwoods).  Glad your getting your repaiars done now while the weather is still good tt.  Bet  pumpkin looked adorable.....I remember when DD#3 used to bring her little ones over, they looked so cute.  Too bad we can't post pics anymore, would loved to have seen his costume. Take care all and keep smiling, ss

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. The Sixth grade hosted the Mass this morning, since it's All Saint's Day they dressed up as the saint they had done a research paper on and did the Mass that way. DS was St. Anthony. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Not sure how many visitors we had last night, I was with DS. But DH did say alot of kids wouldn't come on our porch (he decorated it, was scary) so he went out and passed out candy. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to Winter2011Bride's comment:

Not sure how many visitors we had last night, I was with DS. But DH did say alot of kids wouldn't come on our porch (he decorated it, was sacry) so he went out and passed out candy. 

too funny

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning everyone. The Sixth grade hosted the Mass this morning, since it's All Saint's Day they dressed up as the saint they had done a research paper on and did the Mass that way. DS was St. Anthony. 

That was nice, Winter.  Wonder if OLA did that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

Happy November! Kar, no I was not offended-that is why I made a point to say "my friend", so you would know that I was not!

We, too,  are starting to think abut thanksgiving--my mother seems to think I am doing it, but I am not sure. I don't mind,  but I have just not decided yet what to do.  

OK--at work, and got to get busy!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I believe I am doing Thanksgiving. Tomorrow DS does not have school, so I will be home. Will be baking many cookies for DH's niece's baby shower on Saturday.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I believe I am doing Thanksgiving. Tomorrow DS does not have school, so I will be home. Will be baking many cookies for DH's niece's baby shower on Saturday.

Sounds as tho you love baking as much as I, Winter.  Wish there had been more of the frozen gingerbread dough, I managed to sniggle just one made of scraps, from the batch -3 dishes/bags of 6 each and the lone scrap one for me.  Too much effort to make them today, but glad to know I can easily freeze the dough and that they come out just as good.  Before freezing I had patted 3 globs into a flat round, much like making my scones.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning and happy November!
    I am glad October is over too. Not only because of the Monster Storm and the earthquake, but all the political advertising is getting to me. Fortunately it will be all over next week.
    Good news here. TX son is coming next Wednesday and staying for a week and DIL will be coming on the Saturday. They will go home together. UK son has also bought his Christmas ticket. He will be here from Dec. 7 to Jan. 4 - I am excited.
    We had 24 trick'r treaters last night. That is a lot more than we ever had. We also live on a dead end and on a hill. Most of them were young ones with their parents. So cute costumes.
    Kar, your cookie recipe sounds great, and I would ask for it, but we are not chocolate fans in our family. Speaking of chocolate. The pecan pie recipe, I use, calls for sprinklng chocolate chips on the bottom of the pie before you add the pecans and the filling. For above reason, I always do w/o them, but it may be something for you to try someday.
    Like Kar, I also get anxious on your behalf, Princess - over the many people you will be hosting for TG. Not an easy undertaking. You must be feeling well now, to offer to do this. As mentioned earlier, we will just be DH and me; I think I can handle that. The kids wants us to come to TX, but unless they twist our arms, I don't think it will happen.
    Lovely Fall day. With this weather, your stairs will be done in no time, tt. Will the same crew do the roof?
    Better get off the computer. Still have to get ready. Have a good day all - Pingo

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I do like baking. When I RSVP'd I asked if they could use anything and I was told cookies please. :) I figure I'll do chocolate chips, sugar, and peanut blossoms (since my MIL likes those). 

ETA:  Pingo that's so great that your son and DIL are visiting and that you will have your other son for a month. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Tulips, I caught that and knew what you meant, but I was self conscious and got worried, anyway...I'm more prone to do that when I'm PMSing, lol, I stress over "nothing."  Hugs!

Tt, if I were to pull frozen gingerbread dough out of the freezer there'd be no chance it would make it to the oven, hahaha...LOVE it frozen, like fudge.  

Pingo, you could add cranraisins instead of chocolate chips if you wanted.  The thing I like about my pecan pie is that the nutty flavor is the star not eclipsed by a shockingly sweet base.  Calls for a far less sweet brown rice syrup instead of corn syrup...soooooooo much better!

Off to the eye doctor; I need a little correction for driving in low contrast conditions especially at night or rain.  Then, planning to take a gander at a local antique shop to see if I see a bedroom lamp I fall in love with.  Found a lovely one on line that is exactly our taste and fits our needs perfectly, but at nearly $200...yikes.  I must be able to find something else I like just as much for far less.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Between the workers out front and generator for the power washer out back - headed out for a couple of hours of poking.  As usual, picked up a few things.  Did see colanders in Marshall's, but not enough.  Did see plastic bowls in Dollar Store, but they always have them, so am waiting til I'm sure I don't find something that suits my needs/likes better.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Sounds like you had a good time out poking tt. When will your stairs be down? I wonder where Amber is today. We lost a section of our fence because of Sandy. We wanted to replace it in the spring, so that is now top priority. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Frame is up, cement is being mixed for the bottom stair, probably won't be usable until Monday, that is when they are starting on the roof.  Taking me out to see a set done exactly like mine that they kept telling me to drive by see.  Power washing was fantastic - what a difference in the back of the house.  He's such a good guy, even noticed some missing screws in shutters and climbed up and replaced those.

Just drove by house with stairs like mine.  Looks great.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Yes, where is Amber? Just checking in and was expected to see a post from her.

Nice idea to do some poking, tt, while you have workers there. Must be generating a lot of noise. Just wait until they do your roof, then this will be nothing. But your house will be all set for the holidays, so a little inconvenience now is not too bad.

Went for bloodwork up in Danvers this morning. I absolutely picked the wrong day to do it. They are paving 95. It took me 65 minutes to go from where you leave 128 and turn unto 95 N till the 114 exit. The cars were just kind of rolling and pushing brakes. That stretch usually takes me just a few minutes. IMO they should have made  detour on Rt. 1 and closed off ther part of 95. And I was fasting. I had brought a banana with me to have after the draw, and I tell you, it looked mighty good laying there on the seat next to me.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks for the tip re 95, Pingo, tho usually the only time I go that route is headed to NH.

Not anxious at all about the work being done - - - - I've munched on chips, cashews, Reese peanut butter pieces, dark choc chips, and now a nice cuppa green tea to even it all out!

Definitely sloppy Joe's for supper, I need something to sink my teeth into!

ETA:  Just emailed G.T. about what I'm munching and he wrote back:  You'll never have room to swing the door open and step out if you keep that up!"

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Glad you liked the finished product that you drove by tt.  I got DH a Christmas present yesterday. He mentioned that he wanted this certain pressure washer.  I got the oh the deck could be nice nad clean with this, etc. So I ordered it for him. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Kar, I was shocked by how cheap and nice the Ikea lamps were....maybe you should check online.  I had been looking in TJ Maxx and Marshalls where I had once bought Waterford crystal lamps for 9.99 and found that the cheapest lamps were 29.99 = decided to make do with some I already had.

BTW, if you ever are in a mall and the Mass-Save people are offering their box of energy saving bulbs and lamps for $10 check it out.  The night lights alone were worth the cost, not to mention the wonderful task lamps and bulbs.  One is a clip on light which was super for my dad's low vision - it's snaky so it can be moved to focus on what he was reading.

Sections
Shortcuts