November 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: November 2012

An "Aha" moment - just made a batch of cranraisin scones to go with soup - "Aha!", said I, now I know what was wrong with that last batch of scones.  It calls for a tbsp of b.p. and I forgot to put any in!  AHA!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Amber, you are going to be a grandma?!  Congratulations!!  Such a wonderful tidbit to come across this afternoon.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Yes, babies and toddlers galore, here and on way.  There was a poster a while ago who loved Gone with the Wind - the happiest days are when babies come...

TT, that would do it!  I keep my baking powder, soda and vanilla in a plastic bag in the cupboard above my counter, and the first thing I do is take that out...most anything you bake has one, two or all three of those ingredients....and I often put in a little vanilla when it's not called for....like pancakes and waffles and french toast and banana bread....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Yes, as I was putting the dry ingredients in, I thought, there must be b.p., and then realized, last time I never put any in.  Explains flat, hard hockey pucks!  Tonight's were their usual delicious selves, good with the chicken soup I had.  You and your vanilla, me and my Miracle Whip - I put a spoonful in most everything for a little extra tang.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sounds like the bread I forgot to put yeast in (bread machine)!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

So glorious not to wake up and hurry before trucks roll in.  Altho, I did get dressed right away because he mentioned he might stop by in the morning to replace the glass in the cellar window that got broken when they were breaking up the stairs.  Might, is the key word, because after being housebound most of this time, rain or not, I plan on running out by 10:00.   When I get back  I'll call the dentist to see when they can check out my gum.  Work on stairs will resume tomorrow, I'm assuming, if newly ordered railings are in.

No rain here yet, the back walk is wet, but nothing happening right now.

I've fallen into the habit of going to bed really early these past couple of weeks, and I've got to get myself out of that cycle.  Jeff Lewis' "Flipping Out" is on tonight, so that will be a good incentive to stay awake.

Pingo, you've a lot going on with your office downsizing.  That always makes for a lot of confusion and disruption.  Good your son is there to help with the computer part.

Can't believe Thanksgiving is next week.  Have to pull out my soup and fig squares recipes and put ingredients I need on a must get list.  No stay over this year, G.T. works the next day, so it's the pain in the neck mother who has to be picked up in the morning and brought home at the end of the day.  I know one year it just bothered me to be such a nuisance, that I didn't go, but stayed home and fixed a turkey breast dinner.   He says not to worry about it, so I try not to.

OK, coffee and scone are calling, always glad when I have made them the night before and they're ready and waiting for breakfast.  Getting very dark here, must be one of those rounds of rain they talk about coming in.  Hope you all have a good day.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT, that was why I shopped so much yesterday!  I needed so many baking ingredients, I bought 12 lbs of sugar (5 different kinds) 5 lb of four, two boxes of raisins, etc.   I almost pulled a groin muscle carrying that stuff up the stairs!

I am bringing cake, quick breads, and maybe a cake of gingerbread to my SIL's house.  Boy and I have been together 24 Thanksgivings and I have never hosted the real thing altho I have hosted next day Turkey dinners for those we could not see on Thursday.  So looking forward to seeing my DD!  Haven't seen her for over a month....

The carando ham was truly delicicous, with pineapple and a little of the glaze which now comes mixed - you just microwave it and pour it over!  So easy and now we have ham for lunches too.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Cell phone?  Microwave?  What are those?  lol  As I said, I live in the dark ages, won't have a microwave in the house.  But we won't get into a discussion about that.

Everyone who goes to G.T.'s brings a dessert.  I think the count this year is 15.  They do the appetizers and main meal and leave the desserts up to us, except last year, I think it was, G.T. had thrown in an extra -  beautiful cookies in the shape of large maple leaves, and glazed them with a red/yellow/orange mixture.  We each had one on our plate - added to the festivity of the table which he loves to set.  One of the guys makes delicious pies.  He's just sold a large family home and moved into a waterfront condo close to Boston, so there'll be lots to hear, and I hope pictures he'll bring to show.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. Iment to get on yesterday but I was into the laundry and making beef stew. I also made biscuts, have the stew for lunch today. Amber, that is so touching that your DD and bf are coming to your house. It looks like it's just DH, my mom and me for Thanksgiving. DS will be going with his dad and his family. Won't be cooking turkey for just 3 of us, so not sure what I'll be doing. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to Winter2011Bride's comment:

Good morning everyone. Iment to get on yesterday but I was into the laundry and making beef stew. I also made biscuts, have the stew for lunch today. Amber, that is so touching that your DD and bf are coming to your house. It looks like it's just DH, my mom and me for Thanksgiving. DS will be going with his dad and his family. Won't be cooking turkey for just 3 of us, so not sure what I'll be doing. 

How about a turkey breast with all the fixings?  I've done that many years when our numbers were small.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

My mom and I prefer dark meat and I thin DH would rather a roast. :) 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Good morning ladies,

Going to do a quick hello while I am waiting for my friend who is going to give me a ride to my doctor appointment. Hopefully I won't be waiting long. We are going out to eat afterward, so looking forward to that. I will check in when I get back. Stay warm everyone, the temp is suppose to drop!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning everyone,
    Crossing my fingers, Amber - for a good and healthy check up. Enjoy your lunch out with your friend.
    I am not going to cook turkey either for just the two of us, Winter. None of us really like turkey meat, but I have always cooked it to follow traditions. Right now I am thinking rack of lamb. I know, we will miss the boys, but I am kind of looking forward to be just the two of us - like we were the first few years of our marriage. Except for the two times we were in TX with DS and his in-laws, I have hosted the TG dinner at our home every single year. I am kind of tired of it by now. DH's sister and her family is here ( a group of 13 people), but I already told her a long time ago, that I am not doing TG this year, as none of the boys will be here. I figured they are enough people to have their own TG party.
    I know, I shouldn't meddle in your TG plans, tt. But if I were GT, I would bring you back home the next morning on my way to work. I am sure there must be a reason, why he is not doing that. Hope you get an appointment w/ your dentist soon, so you can get that worry out of your mind.
    I didn't get to do your bread yesterday, Hats. I took out all the ingredients, but had to leave w/ DS and DIL as they were taking my car. Still on the counter, so maybe later today.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'm not on his way to work, Pingo.  He also could divert and pick me up the night before as he has done other times, but they like the kitchen to themselves when they're cooking, they're both perfectionists, and I suspect sometmes during prep of these gatherings, the air may get a little heavy - if you know what I mean.  lol

Ten more minutes and I'm heading out.  Glass replacement is evidently going to wait until Thursday.  It wasn't a definite that he was coming today anyway.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We've cooked a 13 lb turkey for the two of us, and it's been fabulous with a decent amount of leftovers, nothing too crazy.  DH loves turkey, and we have it at random times throughout the year.  But, there's no turkey police - we always had prime rib at my grandparents' house for Thanksgiving because neither my grandfather nor my uncle liked turkey, like Winter's DH. :)  I don't care what we have...ham, roast, lamb, turkey...whatever, as long as it's cooked properly by temp.

ambergirl, hope you have an a-ok appointment and a fun lunch afterwards!  I enjoy having something to look forward to immediately after something unpleasant.

pingo, are you doing your famous stuffed rack?  I might do that for Christmas as one of our meats.  We're expecting a big crowd of DH's family, and they are huge meat lovers.  Will definitely serve a rib roast, too.  Maybe a small turkey.  I have a toaster oven for the lamb, the oven for the turkey, and a tabletop convection "oven" for the rib roast.  I wish I had that professional oven/range I fantasize about...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Yes, Kar. I am planning on "my" R-o-L. We haven't had it for a while. The price is now so rediculous, it will be for special dinners only. I made pork tenderloin Sat. for DS and DIL the same way I do the lamb. It is as delicious and more in an everyday meal price range. Did you ever try that?
    Sounds like you are going to have a large gathering for Christmas. Are they all staying over? Is your BIL coming? Hope you can make a lot ahead of time, and that they will help out, and not be  like DH's family, that always expect to be waited on hand and foot.
    Re your toaster oven. I know you use it a lot. DS got a DeLonghi digital toaster oven w/ broiler as a wedding gift. It is still in an unopened box and they are not shipping it to TX. He was going to give it away. Should I keep it? I do have a toaster, but I could switch them around, and give away the toaster.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Left over beef stew for lunch. :) 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I just got back in.  Couple of phone messages to take care of.  Thought I had one toy decision for one of the older kids made, but when I checked it out in person, decided against it.  Now it's back to the drawing board.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, without question I'd keep the multi-purpose toaster oven over a plain toaster.  I make perfectly good toast in ours...and baked potatoes, casseroles, anything baked in ramekins, pie, frozen food, everything that will fit.  Uses far less energy than the regular oven and is great in the summer to not heat up the house and as an extra oven for large dinners or any time you need to bake/roast two things at different temps at the same time.  

love the idea of doing the RoL recipe with pork tenderloin; I'll do that for Christmas rather than the lamb and save the $$$ for the roast.  Yup, having a lot of people.  If BIL comes the sister (the SIL I'm close with) and her immediate family will not.  He will not be honest about his plans so we don't know.  Unless we get good intel, we'll have to play it by ear.  Hopefully, it won't come down to a bad scene.  My mouth goes dry to think about it.

Winter, beef stew sounds perfect for today!  I was just looking at a recipe for it on the foodnetwork site, Paula Deen's.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Tt, you are still ahead of the game - too bad your toy idea didn't pan out, but there's still time.  I'm usually in that boat at the last second!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, how old is the child that you are buying the toy for? Boy or girl?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

It's Lilly.  She's 6.  I already have a small thing for her and was looking at the Twister Hopscotch, sounded like fun.  When I checked it out, it's a series of hoops, and just didn't look like that much fun to me, plus would take up a lot of room.  I was thinking of the original twister which was a plastic printed sheet and a lot of fun.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I always liked Twister. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I'll be heading out soon. I hope everyone has a wonderful evening. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT, I think she's just at the age for that thing that you put around your ankle and it has a ball on a rope and you swing it and jump over it with one foot - does anyone remember the name?   Anyhow, my daughter wanted one one Xmas about 15 years ago and I could not find it anywhere!  Went all over Eastern Mass, but they are back, saw that my little cousins both had one. 

You still can get twister...Attack Uno is so much fun!  Helps with number learning....

Pingo - my toaster oven is so much more convenient than using the oven for heating up Pizza, cheese dreams, etc.  I can fit three english muffins or two bagels in it - so much better than a toaster. 

Sections
Shortcuts