November 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: November 2012

ss, I have seen spices at the job lot. But be careful. Look at the dates on the jars. Many are expired and most are about to expire (at least in my JL). Spices loose their taste very quickly. But I guess if you pay only 88 cents, you can use it a couple of times until the experation date; then throw away the rest.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks for the tip, SS.  Never noticed spices there.  Wonder if stores have different set ups.  I may poke there later for Twister for Lilly, and for stocking stuffers, and will purposely check out their spice section.

It's really quite nice out, at least running to and from the car.  My resolve to get stuff done inside may fall by the wayside.  Feels like a good day for "poking" to me.  Notice Harry doesn't hang around these cold mornings.  He patiently waits til he sees movement in the kitchen, this morning it was 7:30, comes up on the back step meowing, greets me when I put his food out, but then instead of hanging around, poof - he's gone. - reminds me, one of the things I want to put on my list is a small shovel I could manage for clearing off the stairs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to pingo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

ss, I have seen spices at the job lot. But be careful. Look at the dates on the jars. Many are expired and most are about to expire (at least in my JL). Spices loose their taste very quickly. But I guess if you pay only 88 cents, you can use it a couple of times until the experation date; then throw away the rest.

[/QUOTE]

I'll tell a story of the batteries I bought at the dollar store this week.  G.T. was asking for a pic of the "new" house (stairs and roof), and my AA batteries were all gone.  Stopped and carefully checked out a Sunbeam display, was very smart, I thought, checking out the expiration date (Best used by 2014), and pleased to have found a buy with a brand name.  Put them in the camera, took a couple of pictures, and noticed there were dashes all across the pic.  When I went back and looked at the cardboard pkging, it clearly says, "Ideal for low drain devises" - imagine a camera is not a low drain device.  So much for my 8/$1 bargain!

As for spices  loosing their flavor quickly - Lord help mine then, some, in fact most, have been in my cabinets for years!  Taste OK to me.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Plans for going poking have changed.  Nanny friend called, suggesting we go out later this afternoon - and in the conversation said my house looks "gorgeous"!  What a nice thing to hear.  I myself think it makes a big difference with the new style of stoop/stairs, but always nice to get an unsolicited confirmation.  So, anyway, decided I'd better get a wash in so I'd have something decent to wear instead of these stretched out sweats, and as long as I was going to be housebound for a few hours, cleared and cleaned kitchen counters.  Along with a cute, funny as all get out, laugh out loud, email SS sent me with pics of babes (babies, that is) with captions, has made for a smile-on-my-face day.  Hope you all are enjoying yours.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

What a nice relation ship you have with your nanny friend, tt. I am sure your house must look gorgeous, and I am surre you will get plenty of compliments.
    Re spices. The cookbooks say to toss them after 6 months. but I googled it, and found that spice companies - including Penzeys - say that spices last forever, but loose their strenght. Whole spices will never go bad, but ground spices will loose their strenght since the oil essence dries out. Before you use it, take the jar, shake it and snif. If you can smell the spice, then it will be good to use. Dried herbs on the other hand, needs to be reoplaced every so often.
    Had a lovely breakfast. Now at the office. Wish not. It is such a beautiful day out. Would much rather enjoy that. But work has to be done.
    Anyone baking for TG today? This would have been my baking day, today. Feels odd that I don't need to do it. I am sure the grocery stores must be packed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I would love to be out in the fresh air too, Pingo, but don't turn down an offer to go somewhere/do something when someone suggests it, so a couple of hours spent later with nanny friend won out.  Glad I got my kitchen in shipshape condition.  Wouldn't have, otherwise.

Just heard the dryer buzzer, so down I go to bring up and hang the clothes.  Bed never got changed today, that was on my "to do" list too, but another day won't hurt.  Think I will call my youngest son and see if his cookie making dau is free to come over tomorrow after school (if the kids have school) to make and decorate some turkeys.  That's really the only day I have, and suspect her "dance card" is probably full.  Hate to break that connection we have, see them seldom with all the activities/plans they have with friends.  Haven't seen pumpkin in a few weeks either, but his Mom is so good about sending me at  least a pic a week, usually with a toy I've given him, or eating a cookie I've made that she's confiscated via her parents.  When I tell her she makes being a Great Grandma fun, she says, she wants me to realize how much I'm appreciated.  Now, you can't beat that.  I'm a lucky woman.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

You certainly are a lucky woman, tt. And the best part about it is, that you know you are. Lots of parents and grandparents complain, that they don't see their kids/grandkids often enough. But often will never be enough anyway.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

So nice to come into a nice warm house.  And how nice the house looked as we drove up, the outside porch light on, welcoming me back to my new stairs.

It is COLD out tonight.  Glad I'm tucked away for the night.  GD is coming over after school tomorrow to make cookies, turkeys and pumpkins, I think will be the call.  Have lots of sprinkles and colored sugars in the fall colors.  She and I will get to visit a little and I can catch up on what's going on in her life.

I'm sure you had a wonderful day at the baptism, Kargiver.  Such a special day for 3 little ones.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Christmas Tree Shop also has spices at reasonable prices.  TT, if you get your cheap cloves, maybe you should teach Lily to make pomanders - oranges studded with cloves.  They are fun, but you need to use a skewer to pierce the orange to put the clove in.  (Runs to put oranges on the shopping list.)

I baked yesterday and will make more on Tuesday.  Banana bread and quiches yesterday, cake on Tuesday, and there is pumpkin bread in the freezer.  I am starting to get excited about Thanksgiving.

Lots to do before then!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Got called to work today!  There goes my week.....now I am going to be behind for the next 2 weeks.  Funny how that can happen.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

A string of errands planned for today.  Have my list all ready.  Just need some ambition to get going.  Cookie dough to make and refrigerate before I go out. 

Waiting to hear about the triplets baptism, Kargiver.  I'm sure it was a happy, noisy time, with the three of them.  How were they at the actual baptism?

Left a note for myself to call G.T.'s MIL tonight, who will become a first time great grandma in a few months.  She'll be ecstatic, and will make a wonderful GGM.  She'll be like the rest of us - there'll be no baby in the world as beautiful, smart, joyful as that baby!  That's GGMs job, to spoil and sing the praises!

Have a good day everyone.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hats, good planning on your part to get some of the baking done ahead of time.  That was my plan too, but those half moons I was going to make and freeze, never materialized.  Should be doing that today instead of cookie baking, but as I said before, want to keep the line of communication open with 8 year old.  I'm off to the shower.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning. Well I couldn't get online at all from work on Friday, had no email either, which is a huge problem. It is working fine now. Amber, Yoda is doing well and I have to raise my blinds on one window for him to look out. :) tt, hope you have a fun time with your cookie baking. Kar, so sorry about Gracie's eye. I know what she's going through, since it was August when I scratched my cornea. Found out last week that it does have a permanent scar and does affect my vision in that eye now.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Winter, that is so sad, that you will have permanent damage to your eye. Will you need glasses? A consolation though; it could have been much worse.
    Have fun with your GD this afternoon, tt. Nice you can have her all to yourself, and have a nice GD/GM chat. Is she the artist?
    Kar, I am thinking of you right now on the way back from the airport. Hope you don't have much traffic. It is a long trip for you, but at least it is nice and sunny. I am anxious too to hear about the trips baptisme. What an occasion. Did you get to carry one of them? What are their names?
    tt, you are probably right, that I feel cold due to the B12 vitamin shot. It is overdue. When I went to refill it last month, Peter told me it was not available - no where to be found. Should be available mid November. When I called in for a refill this morning, the prescription had expired. Argh! They will call my Dr. for a new prescription, but that will delay it further.
    I had a great e-mail from a friend this morning. I haven't laughed so loud in a long time. I will try to copy and paste it here.
    Have a good day everyone!

ETA: Sorry, it didn't work.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Pingo, I have an eye condtion that cauese me to hard contact lenses all the time. I have glasses, but I'm not really supposed to wear them. The vision can be corrected at this time, but may get worse.

ETA: THe only time I wear my glasses is usually swimming or if I'm waiting for a contact. When I scratched my cornea I had to wear them for alomst two weeks and it was horrible. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Pingo, I checked the dates on my spices, the cloves date is 10/13 and the cinamon date is 6/14, with all my baking for Thanksgiving and Christmas gift giving (pumpkin bread for all) I'm sure there will be none of those spices left.  When I replenish my supply I'll check for the latest date, never knew they had dates on them.....just thought they lastd forever...ss

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Not too fruitful a  trip, whizzed right by one of the little malls where I wanted to check out some stuffers.  Ended up stopping at the Paper Store where I expected to get a ton of stuff, but came out with a card, that's all.  Oh well, plenty of time for Christmas shopping yet.

Winter, sorry to read your eye has permanent damage.  Those accidents happen so quickly, and when we think back it's always, "if I had only - - -".  Does it feel irritated at all now?

Reheating some leftover rigatoni with chicken sausage for lunch.  GD won't be here til about quarter to three.  Dough is chilling, got that done before I ran out.

Still trying to piece together an outfit to wear Thanksgiving.  Don't want to end up running to the mall for something, but haven't a clue as yet what I'll wear.  I'm all for comfort these days, so something warm and toasty.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Back from Logan and a quiet lunch at the diner alone.  Thanks for thinking of me, Pingo, traffic was only as heavy as expected so no trouble we didn't account for.  Got him there exactly the recommended two hours before his flight.  Had a lovely dinner by all accounts last night of a brined chicken I butterflied, pan seared, then roasted.  Brussels sprouts with mustard maple sauce, mashed butternut, and baked potato, all from the garden.

the baptism was beautiful...yes, I got choked up. :)  the babies were all quiet and dh was thinking, gosh, can't be that bad, lol.  We had to rush at the parents' luncheon in their home, but they understood the timing was what it was.  I don't feel comfortable giving their names, but they are very masculine and I think they did a great job for having to choose three first and three middle boys' names!  Oh, and since it was so chilly they were using the blankies I made; everyone commented on them...made me feel great.

Winter, so sorry about your corneal scar.  You must have really been uncomfortable when you did that.

Trader Joes doesn't have a huge variety of spices, but what they do have is well priced.  They carry smoked paprika, a favorite of mine espeicially in the butternut dishes.

tt, if you are comfy you'll look great!  I'm all about cozy, warm, soft attire, too.  I have stretchy cordoroys that appear far more dressy than they feel, and those with a soft, roomy sweater look great but don't make me sad, lol.

I've started using the iPad app "LoseIt" to track my daily intake (including custom foods and personal recipes) and exercise so I can get through the holiday season no worse for wear.  It's fun, and it really keeps me accountable.

Speaking of calories, haha, I will be making pecan pie on Wednesday, and a veggie dish to take to SIL's TG.  No big plans for me other than that this week.  Oh, there's Gracie's appt on Wed.  

well, I've made up for lost time here rambling away. :)  good to be home and have the airport overnight behind us.  Now, "looking forward to" the pickup and overnight next week.  Yay.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, it doesn't hurt at all, hasn't since a couple of days after it hapened. Sorry you didn't make out too well with your errands. I'm sorry we won't be able to see the cookies you two make. 

So I've decided on a Apple N Spice pork roast for Thanksgiving. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Apple n spice pork roast, sounds delicious, Winter.  Nice you can divert with something different.  Was talking to Nanny friend about "the meal", last night, and you should hear the array she's planning!  OMG, I asked her if she planned on having 3 stoves going.  She'll never have the time, let alone burners to prepare all she's got on her list.  Hasn't had a family holiday in a while and wants this to be perfect, food-wise anyway - the rest she has no control over.  If she follows through, she'll be too tired to lift the fork to her mouth!

Glad your airport run is over for this week, Kargiver.  The closer to Thanksgiving it had gotten, the worse it would have been.  I'm looking forward to the relaxation and laughs that we always have around G.T.'s table.  Stories abound.  Not clear yet whether I'll be staying over, I'll throw the necessities  in a little bag - just in case.

Got quite a few odds and ends done since I got back in.  Just biding my time now.  think I'll have a pot of water hot, just in case she's hungry and wants her pasta.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Just came back from shopping. The usual places, since I haven't been for a week. I finally got to return a top I bought at Marshall's. The teller told me, "You just made it. This is the last day!" Didn't know it was 30 days ago I bought it and they have a 30 days return policy. Wonder what they would have said, if I brought it tomorrow.

Kar, I saw you posting about "Loseit" on another thread. So I checked it out, and started on it yesterday. It's awesome. So easy to do. How long have you been on it, and what is the result? I am trying for those last nagging 10 lbs. How do you calculate your own recipes? And do you weigh everything or just take it by the eye?

tt, thought of you, when at TJ's. They have Gingerbread Boys. Almost picked up a package, but then decided, I don't think they are on the "Loseit". But with shame I must admit, I picked up a small Pecan Pie for the two of us for TG. For $7 I felt it was a bargain. I am out of Pecans and had buy them at Costco. Those small bags in the grocery stores just won't do. I load them up. Not only are they expensive, but I will rather wait until next year and get them fresh, if I need them. Of course, I forgot the most important thing, I went to TJ's for. But I can manage until after TG.

I also picked up my R-o-L, while at Costco. Another zoo. I hope I don't have to go back this week. Parking was aweful - lots of nasty stressed people. If my B12 comes in, I will have to get it, but I will take DH along and have him wait in the car, while I run in to get it.

Now time for putting away the groceries.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, I've lost 5.8 lbs since starting it Nov 11.  You add your own recipes by choosing "More" and editing foods.  I think you can see from there, but if not, let me know.  It calculates the calories in the entire recipe and then you tell it how many servings it is.  Then, when you pick that recipe as a food to enter for your log, you tell it how many servings you have and it logs the calories.  I measure everything with actual measuring cups or scale.  GL!  I have been struggling, too, with that last 10, and it's helped me get more than half way there in no time.  I plan our dinners out ahead and log what I'm going to eat (by eye) before I go.  I bring the rest home no matter what.

gotta walk Gracie right now while not too dark, not too light.  More later...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I'll be heading home soon. Have to pick up honey and apples for the roast. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Have a great night, Winter - sounds really yummy.

got a 45 minute twilight walk in with gracie.  Now, I can eat more, lol...gotta log it and get to the grocery store to pick up...whatever looks good to me.  Haven't had the gumption to do it before now.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks, Kar. That sounds easy enough. Congrats on your 5.8 lbs. That is really awesome.
    Maybe there is hope for me. I have done food diaries a thousand times, but they never worked for me. This is more fun. I love the graphs and that it is so easy to do.