November 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: November 2012

That is a great gift, Winter. DH will love it. We have one, and it is just amazing, what we use it for. Siding, driveway, windows, outdoor furniture, deck - just to name a few.
    The only thing we don't use it for is washing our cars. It is not supposed to be good for the finish.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Thanks Pingo, he asked for it. Will have to come up with some other ideas as well. I'll be heading out soon,and may not be on tomorrow since I'll be home baking cookies. If I don't make it on have a nice week end everyone.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, hats, I will check out ikea!

winter, good jump on the Christmas rush.  I just started thinking about dh...always a conundrum.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

Pingo-what a nice suprise DS and his wife coming-you must be excited! And what a nice long visit your overseas son will have at Christmas time.

TT--glad your work is progressing nicely--so nice when things finally work out.

Kar--hugs rightback atcha!

Feel like I am comng down with ahead cold--I can feel it in my ears and throat. Hope it goes away--I know so many people sick with terrible colds/pneumonia/bronchitis  lately.  We usually are not prone to them in this family, for some reason---knock on wood!

DH had a nice day today-out with a friend of his for a ride. For some business calls he has to do he takes DH with him for the ride. Then they take a  walk or grab something to eat--at least he gets out, and spends some time with his buddy--they have been friends since the were little.

Heading to bed--good night!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Up really early, already showered and dressed - didn't sleep at all last night, all this work going on.

Nice surprise that your TX son and wife will be visiting, pingo, and especially news of your UK son's long visit home in December.  The Pingo kitchen will be humming with all kinds of good things to eat!

Tulips, that is so nice that one of your DH's friends is so thoughtful to take him along when your husband feels well enough to go.  Nice diversion for him, and a chance to feel a part of the working world again.

Put out some stackable outdoor chairs with the trash yesterday, without a sticker, hoping they would disappear like the a/c did.  So far this morning, I can see them still out there.  There's always hope for this morning, with the recycling pickers that drive up and down the street.  They never find anything in mine, mostly water bottles in there.

As predicted, my next door neighbor did call the roofers to give her an estimate.  Whenever I call someone to do work, she jumps on my coattails, and gets a good price because they're in the neighborhood already!  I told them I want a good commission if she goes with them, $500 off would be satisfactory!  They said they should hire me and send me out on the road for them.

Because I'm up, I'm starving, so have a good day everyone.  Sorry I missed your last post yesterday, Winter.  Hope you have a good week-end.  World Trade Center Christmas Fair time for me, so I'll be enjoying a gingerbread man, at least, from the Gingerbread Factory or whatever it's called.  Might just come home with a Christmas gift for someone too.  I'll probably check in later, but if not, good week-end everyone.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Fair and gingerbread sound great, TT.  I am almost finished with my Christmas shopping, amazingly enough!  There's a couple of reasons for that....one is that I am having some health issues (correctable) So I am going to give fewer gifts this year.  I give my nieces and nephews money and unless they are under 13, I am not going to look for gifts in addition.  Except for the ones who are grateful for my thrift store finds, that is. 

I am focusing on my baking and decorating plans and hope to have that done the week after Thanksgiving so I can feel relaxed in December while I am recuperating from the surgery.  I'll be able to listen to Christmas music and watch all the old Christmas movies on TV in December without feeling I ought to be doing something else, so I'm kind of excited.

It's a busy day for me and tomorrow is even busier so au revoir!  Have a good day everyone.  Pray for all the people in NY/NJ.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Good morning ladies,

I had a nice day yesterday. Friend unexpectedly stopped by and we had a great day. Love that : )  My cousin called last night and invited me to her house in Moultonborough. We will leave when she gets off work today and return Sunday morning. I am excited as I love it there.  DD will be checking on the boys and feeding them, so that is taken care of.  When it rains, it pours as they say. I haven't been that busy socially, so this is nice.  I only got my neighbors son for Halloween. But I live on a dead end hill with mostly elderly owners and no kids besides the one. Wish I had more, I love seeing the kids. Will check in Sunday when I get back.  I hope everyone has a wondeful weekend!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Winterbride, when my girls were in school they always had a Mass on Nov 1st like your DS did, the parents were always invited.  I enjoyed helping the girls (and their friends) with their costumes and then going to the Mass. Thanks for the memories.  tt, I'm going to a fair over the weekend, but know it will be nothing like the one your going to...have fun.  Hats....like you I plan on giving cash and gift certificates for Chismas, just can't see myself shopping, wrapping etc.  I've already gotten my GGS his gifts, and I might pick up something for my 13yr old GD.  I used to start my Christmas shopping the day after Christms and was usually all done by Thanksgiving, with my breathing I'm way behind!!  Pingo, how nice that your sons will be visiting over the Holidays, bet you've got some good recipes ready to share with them. Good luck finding a lamp Kar , I never liked Ikea, only because of its set-up....first time there I kept going around and up and finally it was so bad I found a worker and practically begged them  to show me how to get out!!  They let me use the sevice elevator!!  One of my DD's loves the place and is always telling me about her bargins.....Take care all, Keep Smiling and have a nice weekend...ss

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning, SS, I couldn't help laughing at your IKEA experience. You are so right. When you get in, there is no way to get out. Unless you know how. :) That's the beauty of this store, they track you through all the departments. Nice business model. And you do find treasures there for so little money. tt, I think you would fill up your baskets in no time.
    I love that store. We furnished our son's LA apartment with IKEA stuff. Furnitures, kitchen stuff etc. Quality and so inexpensive. His then room mate is still using it. And we buy all our candles there. They are the best. No dripping and long lasting.
    If anyone is interested, Ikea has a Scandinavian Smorgas Board on Dec. 7th. We would have gone, but have to pick up DS at Logan that evening - Yeah! If you can make it, it will be a worthwhile experience.
    TGIF, I am beat. Going to a friend's home for dinner tonight and Sunday we are going out with another couple. In between, I have to get ready for DS arriving on Wednesday.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Hello all

Been so busy at work I haven't had a chance to post!  Looks like everyone's keeping busy.  Tt - glad your project is going well.

Unfortunately, still not feeling well but trying to plug away.  I would have preferred not to do Thanksgiving, but I didn't really have much of a choice via the way it was "presented" to me (MIL) - we'll just leave it at that, lol.  Honestly, I am thinking of ordering most of it through a place in Lexington that has been wonderful in the past.  I haven't "broken" this to DH yet, but I think he will be fine with it, knowing how I feel.

No interesting plans for the weekend - the usual w/Mom, etc.

Have a great day everyone!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

That is awful, Princess. Can't you "present" to MIL, that you are not feeling well and up to par to do TG? If I remember correctly, you did it last year. So it is someone elses turn. Well, being me, I should know, how THAT works out.
    I have been doing TG for as long as I can remember. Family, friends, their kids' college friends, who had no where to go. There were times, I had over 30 guests. This year our sons will not be here, so I am not doing it. Since it mostly cover his family, I told DH a long time ago, and he is fine with it. By now I would have invited everyone. I am quite sure, I am waiting in vain for a TG invitation. But that's ok. Actually, DH and I will have a good time together. We always do.
    I think it is a wonderful idea to order everything from a reputable place, Princess. Best to you my friend. Hosting a TG dinner is not easy.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, did you ever use your pressure canner for cooking? This may make you want to try. I cooked a spaghetti squash in my miracle cooker a few days ago. 10 minutes and absolutely wonderful. Just right.
    Running out of pumpkin puree, I decided to try one of my sugar pumpkins today.
    Prepared it as we do for the oven. Placed on the trivet - cut side down, added 1/2 cup of water and gave it 10 minutes under pessure. Let it cool down naturally. Lovely, lovely pumpkin puree. It practically fell out of the shell. OMG, can't believe, how easy this was.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

In response to princess-cal's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would have preferred not to do Thanksgiving, but I didn't really have much of a choice via the way it was "presented" to me (MIL) - we'll just leave it at that, lol.  Honestly, I am thinking of ordering most of it through a place in Lexington that has been wonderful in the past.  I haven't "broken" this to DH yet, but I think he will be fine with it, knowing how I feel.

[/QUOTE]

Is that place in Lexington Neillio's?  I would just go for Market Basket, myself.  Did it one year, no one knew...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Yes Hats it is Nellios. It gets crazy there, but I know they will be good. I didn't tell you guys this but I guess it has been  a year now, lol. Last year I was in the hospital for TG, so they really didn't have a choice, lol. As for MIL, as some of you may know, she lives in an in-law apt built onto our house. I see her every day. She knows how I am feeling.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

In response to princess-cal's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yes Hats it is Nellios. It gets crazy there, but I know they will be good. I didn't tell you guys this but I guess it has been  a year now, lol. Last year I was in the hospital for TG, so they really didn't have a choice, lol. As for MIL, as some of you may know, she lives in an in-law apt built onto our house. I see her every day. She knows how I am feeling.  

[/QUOTE]

Then she should be more sympathetic.  My MIL can't tell the diff between Neillios and MB....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

I could not get into the boards at all today Fine for me now, at home.

Winter-I would not hesitate at all to have dinner done for you--especially since you are not up to par. JUST DO IT ! Don't think twice about it.

I love poking around IKEA--need a trip there soon.

All this pumpkin season I have been craving pumpkin bread. I may have to make one--but I will use canned pumpkin!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Having a great night...I made garlic roasted pizza  that means we are alone..hehe

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I bought some gret storage bins at Ikea last weekend and this afternoon I got my closet all cleaned out and organized.  Will have to go back for more.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Thought how good it would be to be able to sleep in this morning and not have to think about being showered and dressed before 7:30 when workers come - here I am tho, wide awake anyway, in my new time frame!

I've never been to IKea's, not sure I could do the walking, almost sure I couldn't.  Your mention of storage bins interested me tho, Hats.

Princess, I'm sure your MIL is fooled about how you're really feeling by your upbeat and on the go attitude.  I don't think you're one much to complain or let on just how tired you may be.  To our mothers, you know, putting a turkey in the oven and fixing some mashed potatoes and a couple of vegetables, was the norm, and could be an every Sunday dinner.  They did it with ease and without all the planning and extra side dishes that we do.  She's probably thinking that others would take over the clean up.  By all means, go ahead and order from whereever you feel comfortable and sit back and relax.  As your MIL is thinking, let others do the clean up. 

We're going to G.T.'s, and I will make my pumpkin soup (pumpkin from a can, Tulips) that everyone looks for now.  Planning on making fig squares too, only cutting them smaller than I do for myself.  As always I will make a small batch of half moons for the elderly gentleman who has childhood memories of his mother taking him to the bakery to buy one after Sunday mass.  Altho his mind is as sharp as ever and he has wonderful stories to tell, he is getting frail, and we're so grateful he will still be able to join us at the table this year.

Well, I have projects in mind for myself this morning, Halloween decorations to put away, washes to do, and maybe another batch of brownies to make for the boys tomorrow.  There are still a couple of applesauce muffins in the freezer, and I've already been forewarned that they want to get an early start.  They have a full week-end, and I'm sure after the fair and dinner, they will get on the road back home for a little R&R before their work week begins again.

It will be good not to have any noise of saws, hammers,  whatever going on for a couple of days here.  Was housebound yesterday because of my car being at the garage - which I found out when I called at 4:00 I could have picked up much earlier, he did not want to bother me, figured I was busy with the workers.  Hope you all are snuggly warm this week-end and enjoying good health.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Sounds like you will have a busy Saturday, tt. So, did they finish the stairs yesterday? You must be so pleased, that they finally are getting done.
    Your may be right on the mark re MIL and TG dinner. In the "olden days" they did this every Sunday. But these days, we all work and make more involved sides and desserts. When you think of it, to do the turkey is easy. It takes care of itself. But for me it is the planning, getting out all the fine dishes and crystal, polishing the silverware etc. that kills me. And then afterwards the clean up and putting everything back again. I have similar problem with DH's family. They have never done a turkey dinner and don't know, what is involved. When they get here, everything looks so easy.
    You would have fun at Ikea, tt. If you don't want to walk the entire store, you could just do the the Market Place, which is on the first floor. That's where they have all the fun stuff. Just have someone show you the short cut to it. When DS moved to CA for school, we spend an entire day at Ikea to furnish his apartment. From 9 to 9. By the time we left, I could hardly walk.
    Not much going on here this weekend. DH already left for work and tmw. night, we are going out for dinner with friends.
    Everyone have a nice Saturday. Did you hear there is snow in the forecast next week?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I heard snow possibly northern NE, in the 40's here. 

Intown son stopped over to check out the stairs.  They're not done yet, need the treads and porch deck.  Had to order the shade of grey I wanted.  They won't be in until Tuesday.

Way behind now in my "chores" for today.  Did run out to the bank for some money to have in the house too.

Heads up - all the problems in NJ with barges not being able to get into the harbor is going to affect us.   NJ usually shipped gas up to the storage tanks here.  If they don't get the problem solved soon, we'll begin to see a shortage of gas and much higher prices.   A friend of my son's drives a gas delivery truck and they are already having to drive to another state to get their supply.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

That's not good news about the gas situation. I didn't see that in the news, and I am curious as why they can't get the barges into the harbor. Were the piers ruined during the storm?
    It is like rings in the water, they will spread more and more and we will all be affected.
    What about heating oil? That must be the same situation.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I only know "from the horse's mouth" about the gas situation.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

GD sent me a couple of pics of pumpkin with a gingerbread cat in hand and mouth saying, "Mmm, mommy, who made these tasty cookies?" !  I emailed her back oohing and aahing, and saying that was why I put a plain one in there, just in case he could have one.  She emailed back:

"He actually like the first one so much I let him try one with sprinkles too the next day and he did just fine with them (I scraped some off).they have been then perfect before nap snack :) "

Grand to be a great grandma!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'm the only one of the boards, apparently, so I'll chat with myself -

Apple crisp made and just came out, and a dish of brownies put in to bake.  House smells delicious.  Dumped peelings and apple cores up back for the deer again.  Been doing the fun part of chores, instead of the stuff on the "to do" list.  Only one wash done and still have another that has to be thrown in, like now.

Warmed up beautifully this afternoon, feels good in the sun.

Started a list of things to look for at the fair tomorrow, among them a Thanksgiving flag for my garden holder.  I'm sure someone will be selling some there.  May pick up a new pocketbook too, don't want to be too recognizable with that Vera Bradley!  lol

Chairs I put out are still out there, but I have  hopes.  Son said to leave them there, someone will pick them up sooner or later.

Okay wash to be thrown in, and then I have to wait at the end of the driveway for mailman since  he can't get to my mail slot.  Hope you are all enjoying your day.