November 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: November 2012

Hi, ladies,

lots going on in the cc family!  

Amber, so nice of a friend to drop in and now you're enjoying more much needed fun after a long recovery and stress with the job search (which we hope is over!).  

Pingo, hope you had a nice dinner with friends, too.  No, I don't use my pressure cooker for food because it's aluminum, and I prefer stainless steel for anything touching the food.  Might get one, but since I'm home during the day my Dutch oven does the trick; I don't really need the speed.

prin, as hostess you can serve anything you want for tg, and if anyone doesn't like it they can pound sand.  Italian takeout from a known yummy place you love sounds ideal to me!

tt, I was going to make little apple pies to go with your crisp, and I forgot to get apples!  Darn...I can smell your crisp...yum.  Are the stairs all done?

not meaning to leave anyone out, but I have étouffée on the stove that needs tending...can you smell the Cajun seasoning?  Making it with chicken hearts instead of shrimp...so much cheaper and just as good.

have a good night

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Lol. Thanks Kar, wouldn't do Italian on TG, but point taken and agreed!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Sorry tt, you must have been feeling lonesome today. Went shopping with DH for some new clothes for him - not me. He needs to be presentable at all times, and some of his suits and sports coats are quite old, even though they are clean and pressed, their time was up. The problem is, he never has time to go shopping. Even though he is very avarage and can fit anything on the racks, he still has to try them on. Even in  reg. 40, there are variations.
    Etouffée, Kar? That sounds elegant. Never made it. But where do you get just chicken hearts? You must have a specialty butcher, where you live.
    Amber, I missed you going to Moultenborough or I woud have wished you a nice trip. Hope you had a good time up there.
    Have a wonderful time tomorrow at the fair, tt. Well, you can change your Vera bag, but those poiple glasses and your little scar on the tip of your nose will give you away anyway. LOL

Ladies, make sure you change the time tonight. I just hate it. So dark now going home.
    Nighty night!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, I swear, we are couple twins, lol.  Dh also is the one who needs to be presentable, and his sport coats need replacing.  Funny.  

Nope, no specialty butcher, just the old fashioned grocery store.  They often have hearts and other organ meat.  I've always liked that stuff probably because it was the only meat my mom could afford and I didn't know the difference. :)  and, Gracie goes wild for it so I buy extra.  Dh had never had hearts, but he lapped up the étouffée.

LOL, prin, I thought you said it was an Italian place!  Honestly, an Italian takeout spread might not be traditional, but yum!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

The storage bins, TT, are rectangular and fold up flat for storage. No covers, but that's good because I am using one for my shoes and one for the other miscellaneous stuff (like bags of fabric!) that have migrated to mom's long closet.

I had one of those shoe racks that hold 9 pairs - 6 shoes on wires in three rows. Of course I had lots of shoes and slippers lying under and on top and in front and migrating under the bed and ......so I took the rack out and put in this storage container, with least used shoes on the bottom and most used on the top and they are all in the same space that used to hold only 9 pair!  Yeah!  And I put the containers  in short side to the front so there is room in the middle for some other things....I can see the rug that was underneath.  I am so happy.,.... And unlike the plastic ones with the lids, if they are emptied, they fold.  So I am going back sometime to get more so I can organize my office by putting files in them rather than the plastic file boxes with the hanging green things...then the boxes will go under the top of the desk on a bottom rack.

I was at a professional conference today then out to dinner and a little shopping.  Went to the bookstore and wrote down the titles and authors of books I want to read so I can reserve them at the library.  It's not that I don't want to buy books, it's that there is no more room for them in our house.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

The time change has thrown me for a loop - I've been up for 2 hours.  Have a happy Sunday everyone.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I've been up since 5:00 too, Hats.  Actually awake since 3:30 (old time, so 2:30 new time).  Just finished breakfast - I'll be konking out earlier than 8:00 tonight.  Had a brownie after cereal to give me a boost of energy.  Don't want to slow down at the Fair, then they'll say it's too much for me and we won't get there next year!  Love it.  So many new items and ideas each year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yup, we're good and messed up, too.  Dh got up earlier than usual so new time that's 4:50.  'Course, he woke Gracie up, and she felt like it was time to eat breakfast...yadda, yadda, yadda, we've all been up since then, and I have my regular time change headache.

have fun at the fair, tt!  

I've got to clean the bathrooms today and cook for the first of the week's lunches.  Maybe I'll go out with Gracie later...

tomorrow, after my appt, I have to return a lamp to Framingham that dh doesn't care for.  Will visit a friend recovering from foot surgery while I'm out there.

happy adjusting, everyone.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning all you early birds,
    There is a trick to ease the pain of the time change. We have used it for years and it works well for us. We set all the clocks in the house in the middle of the afternoon before the time change. Like yesterday f.ex. we changed them before we went shopping. Believe it or not, but it gives your brain time to adjust and the body will follow. According to our clocks, I woke up at my "usual" time this morning.
    Kar, I have never seen chicken hearts offered for sale around here. We would eat them, if we could get them. We love liver, and that is difficult to get as well. I have never done kidneys. It somehow doesn't appeal to me. But I think, one can eat anything as long as it is prepared well.
    Have a great trip to the fair, tt.  I am sure you return in high Christmas spirit. Are you having "the boys" for dinner afterwards?
    Talking Christmas and gifts. Costco has some beautiful Italian silk ties for only $17. I wish, I had picked some up, when I was there last week. They will go fast.
    Going out for dinner tonight with our friends from RI. We will meet half way. Anyone knows a good restaurant in the Dedham area? Or maybe Wenham or Needham?
    DH wants breakfast. Chat later - Pingo

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ah, good trick...next time.

If the grocery store butcher is cutting their own chickens to package for sale and they don't sell hearts and such they are tossing them in the trash.  Maybe if they knew customers are looking for them they'd package and sell them?

Not Your Average Joes is in Needham by the train station.  Have fun tonight!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, I doubt my grocery store cut their own chickens. But I will ask for the hearts. I have asked before for "unusual" items - like pig hogs - and they will try to get it for me.
    Thanks for the tip about Joe's in Needham. Didn't even cross my mind. Always a good place to eat. However, we are going to Luciano's in Wrentham. Our friends wanted to go there. We have been there before w/ them and they serve high class Italian food. The atmosphere is a little too stuffy for DH and I, but the food is excellent. And we know the company will be good. Will keep Joe's in mind the next time. Thanks!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Oh Kar, since the Princess has not been on, although Neillio's sounds Italian, and was originally owned by Italians, the newer owners are named O'Neill....it is well known for Turkey, esp. Thanksgiving sandwiches with stuffing, cranberry, etc and in all probability, PCal is thinking of buying a traditional TG dinner. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The atmosphere at your table will be just to your liking. :)  Did you mean ham hocks?

hats, thanks for clarifying!  I did just assume from the name that they serve Italian, lol.  That's what I get for assuming.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks for the ups on Neillio's. Will keep that in mind for the next TG., if any, I have to host. I love to have guests, but it has become harder and harder for me. Like I posted earlier, it's the planning and cleaning up, that gets to me. Plus, I have to make two meals, one for us and one for the veggies. If I can cater most of it, a lot is being taken off my shoulders.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

LOL, Kar. You call them ham hogs, I call them pigs hogs. Whatever - they are delicious in a peasoup or with cabbage. You can sometimes get smoked ham hogs, but the fresh ham hogs, which I like, is hardly ever available. Sush different in taste. There is not much meat on them, but the taste they give to whatever you cook with them - wonderful, heavenly.
    I just made puree of my last sugar pumpkin in my miracle pot. 10 minutes and it was done. Now I want to buy a few more pumpkins to freeze the puree for later. No heating up the oven, and such easy cleaning as it is all contained in one pot. UK son uses his exclusively to cook everything. Yesterday he made ratatouille - 3 minutes. No cleaning up any stove. Kar, you must put one on your Christmas wish list. I know, you would love it. And that goes for everyone else on the Chat too of course.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

my grandmother called them hocks.

yes, I'd love a smaller stainless steel pressure cooker, definitely!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

---yes, I'd love a smaller stainless steel pressure cooker, definitely!----

Kar, then go for it. I know you will love it. The Cuisinart I have, is just fantastic. I love it, love it! Just wish, I hadn't been so afraid of PCs. It would have come in so handily, when we were a larger family. But even with two people - or as with my bachelor son - it is just great. One can cook a little or a lot, it comes out the same.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I have no doubt, thanks for the recommendation.  Now that they have safety valves they can't explode, but there is a lingering fear out there.  Too bad because working moms, especially, could really use something that allows them to prepare a healthy, yummy one pot dish in under an hour.

I think the hock is that part of the pig's leg you're cooking whether you call it a pig hock or a ham hock.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Good Monday morning everyone.  It was actually a bit lighter when I came to work this morning, I do like that.

Had a nice weekend, just the usual stuff.  Mom is doing well, we had a nice time together, as usual.  I really do love having her up here.  Although we talked every day while she lived in FL, it just is not the same.

Busy week - voting tomorrow, and have to have some dental surgery (YIKES) on Thurs.  Trying not to think about it, lol.  I have such anxiety about the dentist, but this is something that has to be done.  Oh well, will be a big girl about it, lol.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Prin, dental surgery is so unpleasant...but what can ya do.  Hope it goes as well as possible and you get some good pampering out of it. ;)  I've had impacted molars out and a root canal, and dh has had two gum surgeries.  Yuck!

big day today.  Going to chiropractor then heading to Framingham to return a lamp dh didn't care for.  While I'm there, seeing a friend recovering from surgery then getting a few things at trader joes.  Poor Gracie, it's getting colder, but at 40 and sunny she should be fine.  

Talk later - I'm late, as usual!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

First, I want to ask you, Pingo, to call your turkeys back to your neck of the woods!  Out talking with the roofer this morning, and 4 big ugly ones came strutting across the road,  headed for my driveway (you could see they were following  precise directions!) but seeing the trucks there, veered a little down between the next two houses.  I knew they were yours, because I heard them gobbling and caught "the Turkey Man", once or twice.  Evidently they were some (of the many) that escaped Ache during his "Get Rid of Pingo's Turkeys" campaign.

The Christmas Fair yesterday was wonderful.  Liked going on a Sunday better than our usual Saturday plan.  Because we were there half an hour within opening, plenty of room to move around, stop, browse.  Not the usual crush of people like on a Sat morning.  I bought a couple of new flags for out front, and some dip herb mixtures for the baskets.  Not many pocketbook booths, and only one that caught my eye, and that was a cloth one for $88 - even Vera doesn't charge that price!  We munched our gingerbread men/lady, the guys bought some catnip pillows for their cats, and then we drove around Beacon Hill a little before heading to Maggiano's for lunch.

The guys were raking and on the side lawn I heard G.T. say, "Look at that hole" - Caught my breath because I thought he was talking about the house.  In one of our healthy large trees that sits in front, in a knot where a branch had been cut off, something had hollowed it out but hadn't gotten beyond it into either up or down the actual trunk, thank Heavens.  For now, G.T. forced a couple of rocks in to block the hole, but we will be cementing it in.  Lucky we found it when we did - something, raccoon, squirrel was making a nice winter home.

Meant to mention the gingerbread houses at the Fair.  Great variety this year.  The one we liked best was of a log cabin, complete with a wood pile against the house, and trees, and two guys out front - a sign on the cabin "The Men of Maine", and "WBZ" over the door.  The guys knew who they were.

Front roof is being done today, so tarps are hanging down over the windows.  I plan on escaping around 10:00 to wherever, altho so far, the noise isn't as bad as I had expected.

Have a good day.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT - We went to the VB outlet at Wrentham and they were having a "Further 25% off sale" so we got two pieces for good prices - we paid about $40 for two things that would have cost us almost $90 at full price. 

They have some older patterns - but mostly from what I would call the third and fourth generations of her stuff.  None from the very beginning such as the red bandanna pattern I have 2 pieces of - and very little from the 2nd generation - mostly the smaller stuff like change purses.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I have 3, I think of her purses, and 2 eye glass cases.  My complaint with her bags is that the bottom 4 corners wear.  Like much more one I bought and still use from down the Cape many years ago - just looked, but can't find any name.  It has more pockets inside, and is very well made.  Happen to love the fall pattern too.

The Hallmark stores around here carry her, and also the Paper Stores.  Checked out her new patterns and wasn't struck by anything that called out my name.  I know my DIL has got some of hers on sale at Kittery.  I did like the pattern, a vertical stripe, that I saw yesterday, but once I saw the price did not even pull it down to check the inside.  I have a nice leather one I got for a steal last year at JCPenney, but always seem to gravitate back to the cloth bags.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning all,
    tt, you are one of my best friends, but --- please keep the turkeys. I don't want them back. We still have turkeys coming every morning, but in much smaller in numbers. 5 - 7 I can handle. But when they were 30 plus, sticking around most of the day, totally ruining our lawn - I wished them to H*ll. They could be the ones sleeping on your matted down yard.
    It sounds like you had a great time at the fair. Glad you didn't get that new bag to replace your old VB bag. Going Sunday morning, when everyone are at church seems to be an excellent idea. I hate crowds. That's why we don't frequent fairs. I would love to go though, when I would have the floor to myself. 
    Last night we went out for dinner with our RI friends. They were going shopping at the Wrentham Outlets, so they wanted to meet at a place called Luciano in Wrentham. We have been there several times before with them. But yesterday we got a sticker chock, when the bill arrived. Their specials have doubled in price. I have never in my life and never will again pay  $49 for an entree. Their general menu is in the $25 range for entrees, but they tell you at your table about their yummy specials, not mentioning the prices, which in the past have been in line with their entrees on the menu. Definitely crossing off that place on our list to go. We did have a good time though with our friends. And that is important. We have known them for over 40 years, but getting together is difficult after they moved to RI.
    Getting ready for TX son to arrive  Wednesday. Weatherwise it will be a shocker for them. Already told them to bring clothes necessary for NE weather. I know a week will go much too fast, but I also know, I will treasure every moment of it.
    Have a good day all - Pingo

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, in case you are still looking for a new handbag, I want you to know, that Costco is promoting Gucci bags this week. When I looked at them, the sales person was so excited to tell me they were a bargain for $300 - 400, "--- they sell in stores for double as much". I told her, I have one (10 years old or so), and I would take it out of the dustbag before spending that kind of money for a handbag. Who want to shop around and go poking with a $800 handbag anyway?