November 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Re: November 2012

Right after I walked in the store an employee walked up to me and gave me a coupon for 20% off my entire purchase - Friends and Family sale - good today until - I think Friday - so I bought a lot more than I intended, including a frame and mat for a photo I promised someone I would redo, new bedroom curtains....and if the curtains aren't right I will return.  Got so much stuff for baking....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

We mostly use the stove for heat but we do get a tank of oil...just in case

SS...I keep meaning to mention...The Veteran's day parade is Sunday..I think I will e-mail..its smaller than the st. patty's parade but I do have a nice spot saved for you if you want it

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just enjoyed my fish and went down to check the guage on the oil tank.  I've had my furnace running since the first of October - it's still at  half full, so I can continue to push it up as far as I want.  No danger of running out prematurely.

Yes, Hats, those hockey puck scones, hard as rocks as they may be, taste pretty good with a good hot cup of tea.  Went over the recipe again in my mind and all I did differently was knead a little longer than usual - I love to knead, and it worked out the frustration I'm feeling at what I know will be extra I'll be paying on roof.  Things like that always seem to happen just when you particularly want a recipe to come out good.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. Have a training on critical thinking from 9-12 today, so I won't be on during that time. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

C o l d out.  Filled the feeder and gave the birds some fresh water after emptying the block of ice out of the birdbath.  Pingo, you must have your water warmer on for them already.   Found a full shelf of the Kaytee birdseed which usually is gone within 2 days of them stocking it, plus it was on sale, 5 lbs/$3.99, so picked up 4 bags.  I'd been without any for a few days, and boy you should have seen the birds flock to it yesterday.

Today's a good meatloaf day, I think.  Glad I picked up some hamburg yesterday.  Feeling adventurous and bought some yeast to make some bread - not today tho.  Used to make the long loaves of French bread once a week when the boys were young.  I'm sure that recipe is long gone, so will check the back of the yeast package and then the internet.

Never made it up to watch the results.  I have such great intentions and then konk out really early.   Was glad to see my votes counted.

My neighbor had contacted the company doing my work to get estimates on both a new roof and kitchen.  I doubt she'll get either done, her husband keeps telling her he can do it himself, which I 've no doubt he could.  He did a lot of work on a sunporch they have, but he also runs his own business, and puts in long hours there.  You can only do so much.  The very fact that she contacted them about quotes, may spur him on to at least get the roof done, I know they have leaks.  He's the one who when she asked him to leave some money because she was going to "the farmers' market", left  her $100 - so money is no problem, it's his "manly pride" at stake.

OK, plan on staying put today.  Still undecided about the size of the baskets - my gut tells me they are too small.  I'll hold off returning them until Friday.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    I couldn't stay up either. I went to bed, when the Romney was still ahead. Then got up later for a pit stop, checked my computer and found there would be no change. Glad it is all over; I can pick up my phone again. Did anyone watch it on ABC? What a stage they had set up for just one evening. Disney must be doing well.
    tt, do we live next to each other? Your neighbor's husband could be my DH. LOL Wants to do everything by himself. He doen't trust anyone to do it good enough. But the problem is, that he is always busy - so we always come last, when he has a few slow days.
    TX son left. He should be here around 3 - with a stop at Kennedy around 1. So he should be ok with the storm.
    Where did you find those Kaytee seeds, tt? Yes our heated birdbath has been on for a while. Glad we have it, and so are the birds. It does attract more birds. We had group of new birds yesterday. Have not been able to identify them. It would be great, it we could do pictures. They are medium sized, smaller than the Blujays and larger Sparrows. They are all black on the botton and chest and yellowish on the back. They have very large white tail markings. Their tails are fairly short. Anyone guess?
    Didn't get to do my extra shopping last night, so I will scoot out early this morning. Chat later - Pingo

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Seeds were at S&S on Route 1, Pingo, but they only seem to put out about 8 at a time, so given I took 4 yesterday, might not find any today.  As for your mystery bird, looked in my birdbook, but all black except for yellow on back, I don't see.  Usually I would have said a finch or warbler species.

Glad your son is getting in ahead of the rain and wind (and possible snow).  What's for supper?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

All black, yellow on back and large black and white tail and wing markings. I couldn't find it either in any of my books. At first I thought it was a small yellow Bluejay, if there is such a bird  but it doesn't have the tuft on the head.
    Dinner tonight will be shrimp stuffed haddowk with spinach. Think I might break down and get some ice cream for dessert.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Sounds good.  The haddock I got at S&S was so sweet - fillets tho.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, Pingo?

tt, I love haddock filets...I'm craving fish, now.  It would go nicely with the spinach DH just picked.

Looking like the snow is really coming; it's cold, gray, windy, and raw.  My walking friend came by, and instead of walking we crocheted.  Can't do that instead all winter, but I just didn't have it in me today to have a raw, cold walk this morning.  Maybe this afternoon. 

I've got a baked pumpkin and muffin ingredients out to make those today along with the seeds all dry and ready to bake.  Not sure what's for dinner, but definitely the spinach.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Training is done. Going to see if I can grab some soup in the cafe'.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just watched all the sparrows take off en masse from my yard's surrounding trees - searched the sky for signs of a hawk, but don't see anything.  Strangest thing.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Your company seems to do wonderful training, Winter.  I wish our training had been useful for more than a few hours away from my desk.  Critical thinking is a skill that is woefully lacking even for many educated adults imho.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It's snowing.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Oh, I hope you (we) don't get much.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Good afternoon all , How are  things weatherwise where you are?? It's real windy, raining, and cold here. Making chicken soup for supper (I know its Wednesday) and will have some hot bisquits too, just the sort of night for it.   I worked the polls yesterday and since DD was in charge of supper for herself and DH, she had spaghetti!!  I know she is looking forward to it tonite, but she will have to wait till Thursday and then it will be chicken parm....I will NEVER work another presidential election again, the people were non stop all day.....very busy....never got a chance to eat my lunch, had a cuppa and a bag of chips!!  Lots of folks didn't know where they were supposed to vote, one young woman was highly insulted because we wouldn't let her vote.....she lived in the area, but she had never registered, he r reply was "so what, I live here"....many never sent back their census reports so I had to ask them for an ID, some complies, but lots were upset.....a few left, they did come back tho.

tt. so glad your getting your roof fixed before old man winter pays us a visit, bet you will be nice and toasty with the repairs and the added insulation.

Pingo, I get my Ham hocks from the butcher at S&S, they also sell chicken livers in small plastic containers, have never seen hearts tho.  My mom always made Pea soup with a Ham bone, once she was gone, I had no more pea soup, my DH does not like Ham so I never bought one and had a leftover bone....a neighbor told me about the Ham hocks and now I make pea soup all the time....no one eats it but me, so I freeze lots of one serving sizes for me.

Christmas fair at St. Joes in Holbrook on  11/10, lots of books, can't wait!!  Anyone ever get the TG dinner all cooked from S&S?  Take care and Keep smiling , ss

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I think most people are supposed to get cold rain.  We're looking at ~5 inches tonight, though, of snow...maybe more.  That's what we get for the elevation.  It's just spitting a few flakes, now; the real stuff won't start until later, at least that's what they are saying, and I haven't verified by checking the radar.

Just got back from walking Gracie, the most miserable walk of the season including those in the rain.  SO raw.  Now, will bake the muffins.

SS, too bad people are so rude, but having waitressed I saw the same bad behavior in far more of the general population than one might hope or assume.  And, my grandmother used the hocks for pea soup, too.  YUM!

Got to get going on the muffins so I can start dinner afterwards.  Still not sure what that's going to be...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

It's snowing here as well. Hopefully, it doesn't stick, but I think it will be a messy commute.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

It snowed earlier here, but right now it has stopped. I have been tied to DS's flight status since 1:00 pm. He reached NY ok, but have been awaiting takeoff since 2:30. DH spoke with him briefly; they keep de-icing the plane.
    So I am still here. Dinner is ready to go in the oven.
    Went to pick up seeds at Reading S&S - all gone. But I got some beautiful haddock filets (for us - not the birds). Didn't make it to MB to pick up their grapefruits. It started to snow, and I decided those grapefruits was not taht important after all.
    Sorry to hear you are getting that much snow, Kar. Yikes! You are right, it is miserable raw and cold out. Your muffins should warm you up. Thinking of making pumpkin waffles for tmw. morning's breakfast. I made pumpkin pancakes, but never waffles.
    Still "awaiting takeoff". But at least they haven't cancelled the flight yet.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hope he's able to leave NY soon, Pingo, but better safe than sorry.

I have my meatloaf in the oven along with a baked potato.  A Michelob Ultra sounds about right with it.

Watched those stupid turkeys this afternoon, sauntering along the edge of the street, and then finally crossing - in front of my house - always the animals cross in front of my house!  the turtles I will get out there and stop traffic for, but the turkeys are on their own.  Only 3 today, so one has dropped off somewhere.

Nothing doing weather wise here now either.  No big pick up of wind, so I hope they're wrong on that one.  The staging is still attached to my house, and he assured me it was safe, But I don't relish putting it to the test with high winds.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It would be put to the test out here...

Be safe on the roads tomorrow - seems people forget how to drive in the snow every year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

How strange to wake up and look out on snow.  MY FIL dropped by during the storm and had dinner with us but left soon after.  He lives about 75 miles away but still comes to his doctor here so we see him on his way home.  I'm sure he was ok in his SUV but as Kar said, it is other drivers one has to worry about.

Pingo, I hope your son eventually made it here and you will have lots of fun with him.  Maybe he will be able to do some little things for you while he is here.

Winter, your training sounds interesting.  Could you sum it up and tell us if you think it will be useful?  I do training for an organization and we are always looking for things that we can train people on that are supplementary to the substantive material we have to train.

TT hope all the scaffolding is still standing.

I got crazy and cooked a turkey breast with potato and carrot on Tuesday, so will make soup from the carcass today.  Good day to have the crockpot going while I am out! 

Stay warm everyone.  And yes, my husband turned the heat on this weekend, and got a new thermostat into the bargain....the old one had lost some functions so he installed a new one so we can change the programming anytime.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Well, we didn't get as much as the weather channel predicted, thankfully, just a couple of inches.

pingo, we're hoping for a report on DS soon...

and tt, how did your construction site hold up?

your fil is a hearty soul, hats, to drive 150 miles in the snow to join you for dinner.  And, you too, for lasting this long before turning on the heat! Nice to have a fully programmable thermostat; I think you end up saving quite a bit.

speaking of heat, 'tis the season to get up 10 minutes earlier every morning and get the stove going pronto.  I'm so not a morning person, but what can ya do.  Gracie's happy. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Pingo, Eastern Grosbeak?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, Eastern Grosbeak...either of those look like your new birds, Pingo?  Is there a prize in it for the one who identifies it?  ;)