November 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: November 2012

Saw your post, Kargiver, when mine came up.  Your curtains remind me of a piece of Irish lace curtain I bought at Cleary's the first time we were there - It's a cottage pattern, with the Irish cottage with the thatched roof.  It isn't a very big piece, a remnant they had along with others in a cardboard box.  G.T. and I pulled out a dozen or so different pieces and use them as furniture scarves.  I had this piece hanging in my kitchen for a while, but it was only big enough to be a draped valance.  But, I can relate to how pleased you both are with the pattern of the teapot.  A homey touch.  I should get to work on those pillow cases or they're never going to be done in time for Christmas.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Tt, same here, saw your post when mine came up.  I hope your roof work goes smoothly today and doesn't uncover any surprises.  They have a fabulous day for it.  Poor Harry...

thanks, I love your story and that you understand.  I can just imagine that lovely piece you repurposed.  Maybe someday someone will find these "old curtains" in a box and enjoy them after we're gone.  Third row of the teapot coming along.  I wish we had the ability to post photos!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Heard that little knock on the door that I have come to dread - but he was smiling, "good news, he said," the roofer who did the back put flashing all up along the side as it should have been, and had replaced any wood that needed to be replaced, so an easy day today."  That's a nice start to a Saturday.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Sorry I missed to wish you and your DH a Happy Anniversary, Kar. Hope you will accept a belated one. How nice of DH to take the day off, so you could spend it together.
    I couldn't post all Thursday. When I complaine to DS, he took a look at it. "You are working with old stuff", so he started to overhaul my computer. Uploaded, downloaded, installed new features - some I probably will never use, but it necessary (?) in today's world, like a message center and a notepad f.ex. Plus something called "facetime", which allows me to talk face to face with my kids from their iPhones. He also decided I needed more memory, so he bought me some more RAM, and installed that as well. Now my computer runs faster, than I can think and type.
    Those kitchen curtains sounds awesome. What a wonderful idea. I would sew them, but I never thought anyone would crochet them. But why not. I hope we get that photo option going again soon, so we can get a photo of the masterwork. What kind of yarn are you using for them? Must be some very fine yarn and a very fine needle.
    tt, you must be enjoying the weekend, w/o any workers around. I can imagine, how pleased you must be w/ your new roof and stairs. Money well spend in case you decide to sell. You will get it back plus more.
    DIL left TX already, and will hopefully be here this afternoon. Have to stop at JFK, but at least the weather is behaving. Re DS's trip. He was one of the lucky ones, as he was on the original flight with 2 transferring flight crews, that had to get to Boston to catch their other flight. He became friendly with 4 other passengers, and they did indeed try to rent a car. There were plenty of cars, but w/o enough gas to take them to the nearest open gas station.
    Haven't seen my new birds since that one time, so I guess they must have just been travelling by. I did manage to take a photo. Not very clear though, but I will try to post it, when we are able to, so we can solve the mystery.
    Have a nice weekend everyone!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I guess we posted at the same time, tt. Sorry you had to have workers tday, but at least they gave you good news. How please you must be to have a brand new looking home for the holidays.
    Yes, poor Harry - he must be so confused. Hope he doesn't disappear all together.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, Pingo!  I know you were thinking of us. :)  glad your DS upgraded your computer...nothing more frustrating than typing and waiting for the letters to appear.

yup, it's pretty tiny work done with a tiny hook and thread.  Actually, here's a site with a photo of the teapots.  it shows a double pot pattern, but I'm making one pot per panel, and they will be facing each other so the spouts point toward each other.  I have to make up the teacup pattern for the valence.  The bottom curtain panels will be all open except for the 10" teapot in the center.

http://www.heirloomcrochet.com/hcharrisfiletcrochet.html

glad the weather is cooperating for your travelers, Pingo.  Have a wonderful time.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Just received a call from DIL. They left, but had to turn around and come back, due to engine problems. Flight is cancelled. Annoying, but better safe than sorry. She is trying to reschedule. In limbo again.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

That's too bad about your TX son's flight, Pingo.  Seems as those this visit is one of delays for  both your sons.  Will make their arrival all the sweeter.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, those curtains will look lovely. Like the shape of the teapot.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

No no, tt. This is DIL coming today. TX son is already here. UK son will not be here this time.
    There is nothing worse, than have to wait in airports, not knowing, what is going to happen. To catch an 8 o'clock flight, she must have left home at 5:30. If she gets out today, she will be exhausted, when she arrives here.

In response to toytrumpet's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That's too bad about your TX son's flight, Pingo.  Seems as those this visit is one of delays for  both your sons.  Will make their arrival all the sweeter.

[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, goodness, that's too bad.  Yeah, there's nothing more aggravating than having to turn around and wait...been there.

Thanks!  I hope the teapots and cups are obvious when they are in the window.  It's one thing for the pattern to show clearly against our dark brown couch...we'll see.  Thanks for checking them out.  I love that they are from the early 1900s.  Thought they'd go well with the tin ceilings.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Sorry it got cut off.

"My memory sucks Mildred, so I changed my password to "incorrect". That way, when I log in with the wrong password, the computer will tell me..."Your password is incorrect."

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Your post above the last one is a big empty box, Pingo.  

I thought bdc took their software over so they had control of the bug fixes.  Um...?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Really, it shows fine on my screen. That is quite interesting.
    It was just a photo of two old fat ladies. You can still read the caption on my second post.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Hello ladies,

I had such a hard time getting on yesterday and gave up. Kar, Happy Anniversary!! tt, so happy for you your roof will be all set for the winter! Winter, I want some of your cookies! I got the phone call yesterday : ( They loved me, blah, blah, but decided to go with the other candidate.. felt like a breakup. It's not you, it's me, line. Miss the old days when you went for an interview and if you had a second, you pretty much knew you had the job. Those days are long gone. I admit it depressed me but have to go forward. DD took me out today and we went for a nice long walk. She is so good to me and lifts my spirits. I am blessed to have her. Staying in tonight even though I had an offer to go out. Just not in the mood. But happy to be able to chat with my CC friends today. Talked DD into going to BF family's for Thanksgiving dinner and coming here for dessert. I think she should and I get next year. Actually not in the mood this year anyway and will be nice to take a year off.  I finally moved my winter clothes into my closet and moved my summer clothes into my spare bedroom closet. Must say I love having 2 walk in closets since DD moved : ) I don't know what to have for dinner. Not really hungry. Maybe an omlet later. My niece had more scans this week and not sure what is going on with that. Keeping her in my prayers since things have been so good. Good news is I lost another 3 pounds : ) I haven't been this thin in years, so nice to go down a size. I could probably do 2 sizes, but don't like my clothes tight. I have been about 20 pounds overweight for a long time, so nice to see it going away : ) Doctor appointment Tuesday, so he will be happy too I'm sure. If I don't see any posts, I hope you all have a great Saturday night.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Hey Kar, looked at the teapot pattern.  Bet it was for a tray cloth originally.  Did you reverse engineer the pattern or did you buy the book?  It should be lovely.  I have that kind of curtain in my kitchen that my mom bought at a curtain outlet in (I think) Brookfield MA?  She's been dead 17 years, so mine are old, but hand washed, they are holding up fine.  If we ever get photos back....

Where the sam hill is dottie these days?

I was at a professional conference all day and now am wondering where DH is.  Thought he would be home by 5:30 - he went to a homecoming game at his Alma Mater....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, Ambergirl!  So sorry about the job. :(  I had such a good feeling...  Congrats on your skenderizing.  Nice you and dd are so close.  Wait 'til the little one arrives!

hats, I can do filet from a picture so no need to buy the book.  Kind of feel like I'm stealing, but, hey, they posted the photo, and that's all I need so...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Thanks Kar.... It would be a lie if I said I didn't have a good feeling too.. such a struggle to remain positive. Glad to see you on the boards. Thought they may have died after a certain time : )

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Hope you found hubby Hats.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Yes, he rolled in about 7 and said that the traffic on the Mass Pike was so bad that he had to stop at Natick to go to the bathroom.  The rest stop was full of people in Notre Dame gear.  I also had battled traffic coming up Route 3/93/95 and that must have been the answer = BC and ND were playing.

So we had turkey barley soup, toasted scali bread and cocoa for dinner.  Thought of you, TT, when I was eating the Scali.  DH said "thsi is the best toast, this is real toast." We have a new toaster oven and it came out perfectly dry and crisp, yet not burned.   I decided to buy Scali bread more often - not only when I make pasta.....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good Sunday morning,

Where's the sun?  Heard the forecast and they're not saying rain, so where's the sun?

Amber, sorry about the job.  I second your thoughts about being lucky DD lives so close, and that you and she have such a good relationship.  It helps not to have to go through disappointments in life alone.

Harry was waiting out there while I slept in a bit - first time in a week - ate and ran.  Probably late for his next handout! lol

Something to take my mind off the roofing problems, checking out my teeth for my 4 month cleaning which is coming up next week, and when I pulled my lip down lower than what I usually do for flossing and brushing, lo and behold a hard white lump where the root of a tooth would end.  Obviously, it must be an absess, but I never would have seen it or known it was there, no pain at all, and no pain or trouble with the tooth.  Googled and found it could be a nerve dying in the tooth, but I've had no pings.  Gums look good, so suspect a root canal is in my future.  I'll call the dentist Tuesday. - As I post this, I'm thinking -  PLEASE, DogLady, no diagnosis, or article for me to read.  I'll trust whatever my dentist diagnosis is, and others can do any searching for knowledge they wish without guided sites to click on.

Glad you enjoyed the scali bread, Hats.  I'm pining for chicken legs.  Waiting for them to come on sale for 99 cents, but may just have to run up today and pay whatever the price to roast up a batch.  Froze the rest of my meatloaf for another day, but that was a taste treat too.  Funny what we crave.  The lasagna dish of apple crisp is being enjoyed - even after a regular breakfast.  What I do miss is the way my mother served it with cream poured over it.  Wellllll, if I go to the store today anyway  - -- - -

Gone into a long post again, so will close and jump back in later after others have been on. Have a good day.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

The sun is here!  So you all should get it soon, I hope.  I went out at 6:15 and heard the birds still singing.  Hope that means a not-hard winter. 

Amber, re job, it will happen when it's meant to happen.  I know it's hard not to think about "the one that got away...."  I am sorry you are feeling a little down!

TT - mouthwash, mouthwash, mouthwash.  Like every hour.  Couldn't hurt...might help.  A phrase I use a lot.

Every year this time I do a big volunteer job for an organization I work with.  I won't say more because it would reveal who I am, but I am more that 1/2 through in only two weeks of work and feeling very good about that!

I need to do a big shop because I am out of all kinds of sugar - white, demerera, brown, confectioners - and can not bake!  Will have to be tomorrow though because I have three events already, and have turned down a fourth!  One is a bday celebration so must go wrap the gifts - some books for a very studious young lady.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning,

tt, how unfortunate a discovery.  at least you are not in pain, and I think root canals aren't bad if you aren't starting off in agony.

found out dh is planning to take this whole week off - we miscommunicated about it earlier, and I thought he was taking next Friday only off.  Bonus!  Anniversary festivities continued yesterday; dh surprised me with his plan to go out to dinner.  Not at the wayside inn, that's too far away, but a place we really like in worcester called EVO.  As, usual, a fabulous experience.

gracie is having a fit wanting dh to take her on their hike...what a spoiled girl she is.

ambergirl, my "skenderizing" was supposed to be "slenderizing" - darn that auto-miscorrect.

have a great day, everyone,

~kar

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good Sunday morning,
    Amber, so sorry to hear this job didn't pan out. What a disappointment for you as well as for the Chat family. Sweet of your DD to try to cheer you up.
    Too bad about your tooth, tt. Hope it isn't a major problem. Hat suggested mouthwash and I will add Listerine to that. There are so many new products out now, many useless. Good old saline will do well too. Just 1 teasp. in a cup of lukewarm water.
    You are a very busy lady, Hats. I used to volunteer for a couple of organizations, and it loved it while I was doing it. But the higher ups changed, and a lot of politics started floating around, so I hung up my towel. Thinking of it right now, I miss it.
    DIL came last night and we had an enjoyable evening. She brought lemons from her dad's tree, and a huge bag of limes. Right now they are dirt cheap in TX. I have to look up some recipes to use them for - like preserved lemons and limes f. ex. Any other good ideas?
    Have a good day !

Sections
Shortcuts