November 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

November 2013

TT I just had a piece of almond poppyseed bread - a new recipe I tried the other day.  Tweaked it a bit and will try it once more with even more tweaks to make sure it is a keeper.  I try at least one new breakfast bread/coffee cake recipe every year at this time with an eye to Thanksgiving mornings and presents at Christmas time.  This year I am trying three!

I poked my head outdoors at 6 am - pitch black, but warm and the crickets were singing away - what crazy weather for November 1st!  Oh yeah - guess I will go see if we have a Nov. thread yet and post this there too!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: November 2013

I tried to start a November thread, before and after I posted in October - wouldn't let me.  Guess I have to ride on someone else's coat tails to be able to post in here.

Like the idea of trying new coffee breads.  I've still never gotten the knack of baking those small bread tin breads for gifts.  I'm always afraid I'm over baking them - they're so much smaller.  If only scones weren't at their best the first two days, I would put packets of them in each basket.  That's about my only recipe left that GD doesn't have now, and she has said she wants that.  I feel I have to show her about the kneading tho, you so want to knead it a few more times, and once you over knead, you have a tough scone.

Nice to have my inside back door open this morning.  Wish it were the beginning of a warm season instead of the start of colder/icier weather.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Totally forgot is was November 1st. Had about 20-25 treak or treaters. DS gave out candy after an 8 minute walk through the neighborhood. He was made that some didn't say thank you! Teacher conferences are today. Met with homeroom/math/religion teacher at 7:15. Will meet with Literature/English teacher at 12:15 and science teacher at 12:30. He's home alone today (first time this long) but at 13, he's more then capable. I did tell him to make sure he has a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in addtion to the extra junk I'm sure he'll be eating.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Was talking with GD Wednesday as we made cookies - she has never tasted peanut butter, nor eaten stuff with nuts in it.  No allergies that they know of, but because one of their cousins has a peanut allergy, they have never given nuts in any form to the kids.  Asked her if she was curious as to how it tasted ?  Shake of her head, "no".

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Wow tt, that's very extreme. I'd be more afraind it would get slipped into something and she'd have a reaction. DS had it maybe at a year old, he loved it and had no reaction.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Happy November everyone. My kids had so much fun trick or treating.  My 3.5 year old was very excited about her costume and she met up with a little neighborhood friend she knows and they were holding hands and singing as they walked between houses.  My 15 month old loved holding the bucket and following the big kids up the stairs to the front doors. Usually the people in the houses were surprised to see her standing there because she is so little but she made sure to get candy for her bucket at every house. Funny because she had no clue what candy is, but knew enough that she wanted her bucket filled with the foil packages just like her big sister was doing!! We took a wagon around with us and both kids eventually ended up sitting in it when we walked back home. Glad we brought it. We left a bucket of candy outside our house and most - not all - was gone when we came home. No idea if it was one kid or many that emptied it. Not idea but we didn't have anyone to sit at our house for us and neither of us wanted to miss going with the kids!

love the warm weather!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Absolutely, new research shows that the later children are exposed to allergens, the more likely they are to be allergic to them.  Would not recommend that your GD try it TT.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Hats, that why I'd be very nervous now that she's eat something with peanuts, etc. in it and have a reaction.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Both of my girls have had PB.  We have a cousin with a sever allergy and out pedi recommended we expose both girls at one year old to see if they have a reaction. Both times I had the phone nearby but neither are allergic. Both love it. Nice not to have to worry because food allergies are scary!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I agree with all of you 100%.  AND, I certainly would not be the one to give any to my 9 yr. old GD at this point, or to any child whose parents chose not to expose them to it.  Just re-telling  a story.  I'm sure by this time those grandchildren have had foods that have rubbed up against peanut products, many times, or even had peanut oil in them, and don't even know it.

Now I've got myself thinking about making peanut butter cookies!  I'm so food oriented!  Too late to change me.

Cute story about your little ones, Rama.  That's the way the little 14 month old whose grandma lives next door was - she wanted that bag I held out, but had no idea what to do with the contents!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good November morning,
    Can't believe it is 70 degrees out. For once I had plenty trick'r treaters. Maybe 20. You never know, how it will go. The last many years, I had to drag the leftover candies to the office. The kids loved the gold fish. Maybe b/c it was something different. Have to remember that for next year.

I enjoyed to see the little ones in their costumes. So cute. I think the oldest who came must have been around 12. They were all very polite and said thank you. Interesting story. I asked some of the girls, from where they came. XXX road, one of them told me. "Oh, I used to live there, before we moved up here, what number?" XX - "That's my old house." We got a chuckle of of that. They have lived there for about 5 years, and she loved the house and the yard.

Once, when our boys were young and we had to take them around, put the candy in a basket outside the door, as we were not at home. When we got home it was gone - basket and all. Someone must have gotten a terrible stomach ache. LOL

I never liked peanuts, never mind peanut butter. Never heard of peanut butter until I came to this country. I though the smell and taste was gross. So I never bought it. Naturally our boys didn't have it either when growing up. Once our eldest was at a friend's after school and was served a PJ sandwich. The other boy's mother was in awe, that he never had a PJ sandwich. He took a bite and very politely told her, "Thank you, but I am not very hungry," and left the rest. The boys still don't like it or anything peanut buttery for that matter. I am sure they have been exposed many times to peanuts, but no sign of allergies.

It's Friday. I feel it has been such a long week. Hope to relax a bit tmw. Sunday we are going to a function in the afternoon. One hour away from here. I really don't care for going. But it is one of those obligated must go functions.

Had a bad night again, but I better get in gear, or the day disappear. Have a good one. Chat later.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I ended up making blueberry muffins, saving 3 (2 for me and C.L. this afternoon) and one for me for tomorrow morning, and divying the rest between GD and her mother for doggy bags.  The visit went by so fast, it was so busy with the two little guys.  Pumpkins is just old enough now (2) to notice all the toys in the toyroom and loved the little desk and chair that has a magnetic board with letters on one side and a chalk board on the other.  Found the old viewmaster too, and was squinting through that at old Sesame pics.  No interest in opening his presents his cousin left for him, so they'll be something to keep his interest when they get home and his Mom is trying to feed the baby.

Wind had stopped here for an hour or two, but has started up again.  Hoping the leaves aren't too soggy to be blown down the street - off my lawn.  Squeezing in a wash before 3:00 and C.L. comes up for "tea".  Alas, she's not going to be a card playing partner, doesn't care for the game, I guess, but that's alright.

Have to go throw a bottle of salad dressing out - ran out of my usual and tried this one, but it's repeating on me, so out it goes before I forget and use it again.

Can hear dryer has stopped, so have time to get things up and hung in closet.  Enjoy the rest of your day.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Whoops, thanks Winter for the prod to the right thread!

It's warm here, too, but 10 degrees cooler than you guys, 60 degrees.  Not bad for Nov 1, for sure, even with the high wind.

No peanuts for 9 years because there might be an allergy?  Wow, that's something.  Well, at least they are conscientious.

went out and did a bunch of errands.  Now to walk Gracie and then get to the coq au vin for tomorrow.  Didn't get the enameled Dutch oven, but instead found Dutch oven parchment liners...I wonder how that will work to brown stuff before I add the liquid.

[pause to open box of liners]

no way am I using these dumb liners.  Ugh, what a waste of time and $6.  I suppose they'd be nice if all you're doing is adding everything at once to the pot, but no so for coq au vin.  Oh, well.

After 2 already?!  I've got to get out there with Gracie so I can get to cooking.  Will be saving out a half glass of the wine...to make sure it's good, of course. ;)

ETA: I love peanut butter, especially the natural sea salted from TJ's.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

We like peanut butter at our house too, preferably Skippy though.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

opps hit post before I wanted too. tt,  glad your visit went well, now I want a blueberry muffin.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I'll be headed out soon and wanted to wish everyone a good night and good weekend. I have another High School Open House on Sunday and the last soccer game of the Fall season is tomorrow.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Skippy is my favorite of the non-stir, as well.

best wishes for a wonderful open house experience and last game!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Last of three batches of chicken thighs are browning in bacon fat...sizzle, sizzle, sizzle.  The wine is excellent, too - an Argentinian 60% Malbec, 40% Syrrah.  Juicy and rich, perfect for coq au vin. Got a spare bottle to drink with the finsihed dish...yes, with lunch, I'm an admitted lush. ;)  Now, on to the veggies..."35 minute prep time" is for Emeril, I think, who has 5 sous chefs helping out, lol.  Just me, it's more like an hour or more.  Oh, well, it'll be worth it...she's a good friend, we go way back, and she's never made the long drive out to the sticks to visit so I want her to feel like it's worth it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Not sure where my earlier post disappeared to... here goes another try:

We took DD trick or treating to the surrounding neighbors.  She had fun gathering candy, and emptying adn refilling her bag of treats.  A few times she said "treat" (without the "r") on cus at teh doorways.  It was just precious watching her.  The rest of the evening was spent playing ont he porch with her grandparents and handing out candy to the neighborhood kids.

She seems to be feeling better, and the cough sounds much better.  Thank goodness - two birthday parties this weekend!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Awww, how cute, Nov, "teat" :)  So glad she's over her thing, mostly, so you guys can enjoy the birthday parties this weekend.  Did you see my post about asking the doc about pedi probiotics?  They can't be beat for those types of recurrent infections because they bolster the gut's immunity power.  Gut flora is disrupted by antibiotics that kill good and bad indiscriminately and then they are set up to get sick, again.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Rama, thanks for the push in the stew direction, the house smells DIVINE.  Omgosh, I forgot how much I love coq au vin.  I hope my friend does, too, but who wouldn't, right?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, this house will be smelling like eggplant parm again tomorrow.  Neighbor brought me up the last of her garden's eggplants - a beauty.  Have the needed ingredients in the house, so tomorrow that's what will be cooking here.

I'm sure your friend will enjoy what you're preparing.  Hope she has good weather to drive out in.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

just a test post

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Ah good I can post...I can't tell u how many times I typed and not posted due to non performance on the post showing up...We had 30-40 kids last night....I could not believe it...we don't usually get any kids....

Zachary is still cute...he is tryng to say my name....it comes out with a Ga sound...then when he tries to say my name...he has a little lisp....so cute...

I missed the last couple of days in the October page but other than that....I am caught up...and so are all of you

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Tt, so glad you got some of her coveted eggplant - yum.  We had to pick ours awhile ago since we got heavy frosts.  Thanks, I hope you are right re my friend and lunch.

Aw, Icer, so adorable...pic?

Speaking of pics, love your new avatar of Cheerio, tt.

Sections
Shortcuts