November 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: November 2013

Winter,
    We saw Miss Saigon at the Kodak Theater in LA a few years back. It was the modern version. Which version did you see? I was bawling too, when we left the theater. It is such an emotional and beautiful piece.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

Kar, I disagree and with Pingo on the travel sets and do love mine.  I actually have a couple of different things and depending on length of flight, time of year I decide what to bring.  I love my noise canceling headphones!

I will agree you should really go on the cruise.  If you start to take the motion sickness a week a before the cruise they say it helps tremendously.

I know you have choosen your life and enjoy it.  So I am not putting it down so please don't it wrong.  But........... I do think it is selfish of your DH to go away for 2 weeks without you.  You do an awful lot for him and have tailored your life to meet his needs.  In some comments you have made about loving Aruba and wanting to go back and then for him to something like this without you..........

Ok, I have said my peace:)  You are and adult:0  But please please go!

Signed from lover of travel:)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Pingo I'm not sure which version I have seen. As for my Pandora bracelet, I love mine. I have the Pandora Clasp Sterling Silver Bracelet. It would be a lovely gift for your DIL, maybe start her off with a present charm to symbolize her shower or an umbrella for the shower. Then when the little princess is born you get the girl charm with a baby carriage. They also sell sets, there is a little girl gift set that comes with 4 charms, you'd have to get the bracelet. It'd be great to record the milestones. I found the store at the Peabody mall to be lovely. When I first recevied it the clasp was broken and they changed it immediately for me.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

This is a family trip; July is DH's busiest time of year in the garden.  Pingo, yes.  I absolutely do appreciate everyone's encouragment to go, though.  And, thanks, too, for both the pro and con advice regarding travel comfort sets.  I'll take a look at that camera, Pingo.

I love the Pandora idea!  I was thinking about starting one for myself; I think DH would enjoy picking out charms.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks, Winter. We are going to the Peabody store. Will let you know, how it goes. I love the idea of the umbrella and baby carriage. I have only seen the teddy bear on their website. She is a lady, that is hard to buy for, and I thought, this bracelet will give us chances to give her meaningful gifts for the next few years. She is not much into jewelry, but I am sure she will love this.

Kar, I fully understand you. Glad you have Gracie to use as an excuse. But if you could bite the bullet, you would love the trip w/DH. It is very romantic. Such beautiful sights. Please at least give it some thoughts. If the ship stop at Vancouver, please tell DH and his family to go on the tour to their botanical garden. It is gorgeous.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

Your family:)  Sorry said I wasn't going to say anything again:)

Love my Pandora as well.  Some say they are a fad but I don't care.  I don't wear mine daily as I change out my jewelry but I do wear it at least a couple times a week.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I suggest a few charms sometimes to DH Kar, ones that would be good additions of things giong on. He then gets the one/s that he likes.

Pingo they have lots of charms, I'd suggest talking to the sales clerk and tell her what it is for.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

They do have a lot.  I would avoid buying a bunch that are associated with the baby though.  The only reason I say this I have friend that was given one under the same circumstances and they had 4-5 charms all baby related.  She said she would have rather maybe 1-2 and then other important things to her as well.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

A pandora bracelet is a wonderful idea, Pingo. Its great for marking milestones.   DH gave me the dog when we got Jax, thebaby carriage charm when we found out we were expecting, and then one with DD's birthstone when she arrived, as well as others over birthdays/holidays. The Alex and Ani bracelets are good for that as well - I have the Mom one, DD's inital, her birthstone, the Bruins charm (DH celebrating the Stanely Cup run - so sentimental, LOL), and a few others.  The Stepmom one is on my Xmas list.  Paper Store sells them, and it is a local business.  

ETA:  IMO, the Pandora can be dress up or dress down.  The Alex and Ani I think of as more casual, but I do wear them to work.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Hello Everyone - Just catching up on posts.  Pingo, glad you don't need surgery, but sorry for what you have been through.  Oh, I have a Pandora bracelet too and love it.

Kar - I don't blame you for not going on the cruise.  I couldn't leave Spencer in a kennel for 2 weeks.  A short time yes, but not for that long.  I don't think it's selfish of DH to go at all.  I would have no problem with my DH doing this.

Enjoy this sunny day everyone!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

There will be many opportunities for DH and me to travel in romantic bliss, again; this trip will not be one of them.  Trust me, I'm perfectly content with the plan the way it is.

I agree, even someone not particularly into jewelry may love a Pandora bracelet - who wouldn't enjoy the ability to build a huge memory collection that is so pretty and compact.

ETA: thanks, Prin.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

I have a Pandora bracelet and love it.  I have a few charms having to do with my DDs - one carriage one and a baby shoe one, plus both of their first initials.  I also like the Alex and Ani bracelets too.  They are more casual but, honestly, I wear them more than the Pandora bracelet because on the days I am home with the kids it doesn't make practical sense to wear the pandora bracelet because it is too nice. But the Alex and Ani bracelets are durable/practical/safe for activities I do with the kids and fashionable at the same time.

I would love to go on an Alaskan cruise but, honestly, it wouldn't be my first choice of destination.  I'd rather go somewhere warm!  Kar, I totally understand you'd rather not go on the family cruise.  My DH is actually going to a wedding for two nights this coming weekend on his own and I am staying home with the kids.   The wedding he is going to is for a college friend who I have only met a few times, and, honestly, I'd rather stay home and be wtih the kids.  The only reason I wish I was going with him is because the wedding is in a cool city in a different part of the country; one that I'd love to explore.  But DH and I have already talked about trying to plan a family vacation for 2014, not sure where yet.  Hopefully you and DH can make a plan for both of you to go on a vacation somewhere together.  You deserve it!  Understand about not wanting to leave Gracie, but, honestly, you have to live your life too. We have a dog who we love and adore and we have never put her in a kennel for longer than a few nights.  We have a few trusted friends who will take care of her for us - one time we had a friend stay at our house while we were gone to watch the dog and ensure the house was ok.  We also developed a friendship with the dog trainer who taught her puppy kindergarten class and he has boarded her at his house while we were gone, cheaper and more personable than a kennel.  Is there someone in your life you could have in mind for that role when the day comes?  Good idea to line someone up now and do a few weekend trial runs to ensure you have peace of mind when the time comes for you to travel.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

What a gorgeous day out there!  If you can, sneak in a little walk, even at lunch/break time.

Ran to Marshall's and then the Dollar Store.  Marshall's was hopping, unloading new merchandise, and I picked up a new purple top for myself, along with some Christmas basket gifts, and I think enough things to now finish filling GD's stocking.  Dollar Store gave me lots of goodies too, including some Barilla wheels macaroni that the kids love but that I haven't been able to find in the stores.  Exp. date far enough ahead to give me plenty of time to use the 5 boxes I bought.  Hats, they had their new supply of candles in too, and I picked up a couple of the small jar ones with the scr*w on tops - cinnamon candy, for two of the baskets.  If anyone is looking ahead to poinsettia time, they have poinsettia sprays for vases - picked up half a dozen of those for holiday decorating, and my usual $1 bag of UTZ and Bugles!  Still looking for a base to hold the Christmas goodies, and considered their faux crystal bowls.  Didn't pick them up yet, but a consideration.

I have 3 of the Alex and Ani bracelets - a shamrock, my birthstone, and the claddagh symbol.  Think the idea of the Pandora bracelet is perfect, Pingo.

BTW, Pingo, I did answer your question re the recipe, such as it is, page before this, about 20 posts up from the bottom.  Glad to hear you're feeling so much better.

Kargiver, I don't see anything wrong with your DH wanting to go on his family's trip to Alaska without you.  You don't particularly want to make the trip, you both know your own finances, and also how well the dog would do in a kennel for a couple of weeks.  It's nobody's business but your own what you two choose.  Besides, a little separate time, shouldn't hurt any strong relationship as yours.  We all need our own space and time alone now and then.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Sounds like you had a good shopping trip. Glad you were able to get some Christmas presents, I haven't started yet.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to Winter2011Bride's comment:

Sounds like you had a good shopping trip. Glad you were able to get some Christmas presents, I haven't started yet.

Filling the baskets (6 of them) is harder than you might think.  I originally started  it because keeping the gifts even in number was getting out of hand.  Figured instead I would personalize baskets with things that particular family (really mom and dad) would like.  For instance with pumpkin's mom, I always tuck in something for one of their 2 dogs or 2 cats. The little ones still get individual gifts.  I'm really at the point now where I need to get whatever I'm going to pile them in, and get them set up on an upstairs bed so I can start tucking things in.  Already, when I laid things out in piles today, I see I've misplaced a bag, probably the first batch of stuff I bought.  May have lugged that upstairs.  I'll have to check.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Can't wait to go shopping. So many wonderful recommendations. Don't know about the Alex and Ani bracelet, but with all your raving about the Pandora, I think we will stick with that.
    Don't worry Allready, we are planning the gold one for our DIL, so the charms will come one by one. I will be looking for the umbrella today. The two other girls will get a silver one.

Kar, We spoke about Plow and Heart yesterday. I got an e-mail from them today. Free shipping and up to 60% off. Just thought, I would let you know.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?shva=1#inbox/1422dbaea840f12e

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Tt, I think filling those baskets with personal gifts sounds like a huge undertaking that would take a lot of time and effort.  I hope and expect it is appreciated!  

And, tt and Rama, thank you for adding your perspective on the cruise plan...it's exactly how we feel.  2 weeks of sleeping in and having takeout for dinner sounds like a nice break to me.

Pingo, thanks for the Plow and Hearth heads up!

ETA: Rama, we have the same situation for Gracie; her "kennel" is actually owned and operated by the dog trainer who taught her puppy kindergarten so there is a high degree of trust there for Gracie.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Pingo, some if the charms I mentioned earlier don't come in the gold, just want you to be aware. I have a couple of the two tones on my silver bracelet and they look lovely.

tt your baskets sound lovely.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Have a good night everyone.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I always seem to miss your good byes in time to respond, Winter, but I hope you have a great evening.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Just harvested a red cabbage to sauté with ground turkey for dinner.  Only 2 left after that; our Brussels sprouts got a blight early in the season.  :(

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Harry here at 6:30 when I got up, and now Miss Fluff is here.  They obviously miss C.L. and meals at her house.  She and her husband are due back today, and she'll be glad to know they've made sure they got their eats!

Misty out, but warm.  Have a  box of papers to tie up and get out with the trash.  And, have a list on the kitchen table of things I want to get done today.  No running out poking today.

Thinking of making some scones to have on hand this week-end, and since my frozen blueberries from summer are all gone, was thinking of doing strawberry scones, but googling recipes I see they need to be kept in a tight container and eaten within 2 days.  Imagine in muffin form (using my blueberry muffin recipe) the time frame would be the same.  Now I'll think about choc chip or the usual cranraisin, that everyone likes.

Kargiver, I'm amazed at all the different vegetables you get from your garden.  Makes me think of a Maine farm (my great aunt's) where they grew and put up everything in the summer, to hold them over the long winter. - - How's that book coming along?

Pingo, did you have luck at the mall finding what you wanted for gifts?  I much prefer the North Shore Mall over Burlington.  Has the stores I want without having to walk miles, as in the Burlington Mall.  Plenty of eating places too, my favorite being Legal.

Mention of Plow and Hearth had me googling their site.  I love their things, but since I don't give big individual gifts any more, nothing to order for me.  I'm the only family member who leans at all towards their country style.  I see they still carry the child's rocking chair that I bought for my just turned 13 yr. old GS, and then it got passed on to Lilly, who, as far as I know, still has it up at Papa's and is using it.

Going to get a start on the day.  Will check back in to read all your posts (hope that's not just a haha, and that there is a lot of posting today).  Have a good one.

Oh, meant to mention, I have been using Google exclusively and can go in and edit my posts - couldn't with IE.  Noticing there is the little green tree back too, wonder if I could post a pic  from here, other than the avatar.  Will try with that candy pie, Kargiver and Icer, so you can see it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT, if you want to make your scones with strawberries you can keep them refrigerated and they will last much longer than two days- then you can warm them up in an oven/toaster oven to serve.  It's the higher water content that is the problem.  Also you could flour the pieces before you put them in the batter - the extra one or two teaspoons of flour would compensate for the moisture and help keep the fruit properly distributed in the mix.

Winter, how is your class going?  Have you and DS come to any conclusion about which schools he would prefer?

Pingo, it sounds as if you are having a good time planning for your shower and I hope the hip continues to feel well. 

TT, Thanks for the tip on the Dollar Store candles.  I need to start some list making, and planning some entertainments so I will know what I need to buy!  This lovely weather is not conducive to thinking about Christmas for me - it's so unusual to still have beautiful trees to look at at Veterans' Day!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning,

tt, if you want to make strawberry scones, I'd get a package of dried ones from TJ's, but honestly chocolate chip would be my pick!  I'm amazed at our garden, too - if I were responsible for the whole operation we'd be lucky to have tomatoes, cukes, and summer squash, lol.  Thank goodness for our division of labor, his growing, my cooking, the food.  Maybe a book really could be a reasonable endeavor.  I've been implored to do so for a long time by many people in diverse roles in my life.  What stops me is thinking who would know to pick it up?  I'm a nobody, no name housewife.  What would grab their attention and start the sales ball rolling?

I hope I can see the pie eventually.  Don't give up!

hats, hope you have slept away your headache. :)

not many posts from me today, I'm going East very soon to shop for DH; thinking about binoculars light and powerful for his trip and regular hikes at home.  He enjoys birds and all manner of wildlife.

So, happy trails to everyone until later this afternoon!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

You would need to get a publisher after you have put together something.  They do the promotion work, setting up displays and speaking engagements at bookstores, etc.  Research and see which publishers specialize in the growing and preserving of your own produce - country living sort of thing.  Stop thinking about it and just write even a few lines each time you "put up" something.  That's why I suggested keeping a notebook and pen on the kitchen counter.  Later, you can go back and put entries in some kind of order, filled in with chit chat the same as you post here.

Sections
Shortcuts