November 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: November 2013

Good morning everyone. tt, sounds like you have your ideas for your poem. G.T. and his partner seem like very caring individuals, both someone that I'd like to know IRL. Icer I've never been able to post with my iPhone, but can post with my iPad, have no idea what the differnece is. What was Zach for Halloween?

ETA: He did get the poem typed, luckily it was only a first draft of it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

BRRRRRR, man alive, it is still only 61 in here after having a big fire going for 1.5 hours.  We even got a little snow flurry this morning.

Winter, I hope you are right, that he loves it.  Too bad re DS's game, big losses really sting.  Best to him today on his vocab test.

tt, happy birthday to GT!  I love hats's suggestion of how to get started.  I used to write a lot of poetry and I often got over hurdles by combing the thesaurus...much easier today than back then.

Icer, good to hear from you. I know, I can't believe people still can't post from smart phones...what is the hold up or difference between those and tablets?

Pingo, thinking of the shower...very exciting.  Is it a surprise?

What kind of scones are we having?  No matter, just pass one over, would you? ;)

dh is taking today off so we'll have a 3 day anniversary weekend!  Woo hoo!

I'm still a little star struck from my "bumping into" Giada DeLaurentas at the mall yesterday...couldn't believe it was really her!

have a great day, everyone

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Kar, hope you have a lovely three day weekend, I have one as well since I don't have work on Monday, DS and I will be home, DH has to work.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, Winter - you, too. :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good evening everyone,
    Sorry I missed you all today, but I have been running around like a chicken w/o a head. Was out bright and early to pick up the Cyclamens from Kane's. They did get in the pink poinsettias, but they were not "full". Even the Kane lady said, she had seen better ones. After that, one errand after another. At least it was a beautiful sunny day. But oh so windy. Stopped for a few minutes at my office to cut a couple of checks. Then off to the airport to pick up son number one. Son number two will not be in until late tonight. Made a light dinner. Sautéed chicken tenders and broccoli with pasta. Saved half the chicken/broccoli mixture, so I can mix it with freshly cooked pasta later tonight for the two latecomers.
    I got my new DW yesterday, and the plumber is here right now to connect it. How I have missed it. I don't really mind doing the dishes by hand, but I can't get them as clean as the DW. Especially glasses.
    My hip pain is completely gone in the side, I got the shot. And that is a good thing, with all the running around I had to do. The other side is still a bit painful, but have improved after I have stopped limping.
    Hope you all will have a good holiday weekend. I may not be on much here. Going to be a busy weekend. Monday they are all going home. By then, I will probably collapse. LOL

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Have a wonderful week-end, Pingo.  I know the shower will be a success.  Did you go back and get the pink teddy bear?

Today was the day gal pals and I met at Davios for lunch.  Expensive, good, but very noisy as the dining room fills up.  Heads up about their luncheon "mediterranean salad".  

• Mediterranean Salad, Cucumbers, Tomatoes, Red Onions, Olives, Feta Cheese 11

What this is is a slice of tomato, with a cuke slice on top,  a red onion slice, another tomato slice and then olives and feta on top.  That's it.  No salad, as I think of a salad.

No wonder she advised me to get something to go with.  I chose the 3 jumbo shrimp which were delicious, but added another $12 to the price.  Would have chosen a more fillling meal for that price, had I known what constituted their idea of mediterranean "salad".

Windy as the devil out coming and going.  

Just talked with SS and she bought a new computer today.  As so often is the case, to have it cleaned and repaired would have been almost as expensive.  This way she has a brand new one.

Looking forward to the Christmas Festival this week-end, and then a nice Italian meal afterwards.  Better buy dessert too, I made a batch of scones when I got home, and a pan of brownies that I frosted, but that's about it for desserts here.  Wanted a blueberry pie and ice cream, but too lazy to run out.  Should have stopped in Whole Foods and picked up stuff while I was there, but was anxious to just get home.

Probably no one on this week-end, so will chat when everyone gets back to work.  Take care.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Happy Anniversary, Mr and Mrs. Kargiver!  Enjoy your nice long week-end celebration.

As my little gift to you, I've changed my avatar back to the candy pie so you can see it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

So much going on with anniversaries, shower, holiday festival.  We are going out tonight for a birthday celebration.  Pingo, glad the cyclamens worked for you and would love to see a photo (you could do the temporary avatar change as TT does.) I hope the shower is fun. Hope you all have a nice weekend.

It snowed a bit here yesterday.  The weather was so changeable - sun, clouds, rain, snow, wind blowing up leaves and dust - it was hard to dress for it, that's for sure!  I have been sort of upset this week by the time change - darkness before 5 really depresses me. It's sunny now, though.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, tt!  That pie looks delectable, man oh man.  That "salad" sounds like a disappointment worthy of calling the manager over for; I'd not be pleased at all with that.

We had a nice morning, and the tablet was a huge hit - for a self professed non-tech guy he was pretty happy. :)

Thinking of the shower, knowing it will be a blast for all.  Can't wait to hear the details.

Whose birthday, hats?

We're going out for dinner, too, and I can't wait!  Got a new dress for the colder seasons that DH hasn't seen yet.  Will post photo later...if possible, lol.  I've been online drooling over the menu; I wish I could order a few entrées and create my own personal buffet. ;)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Heads up about their luncheon "mediterranean salad".  

• Mediterranean Salad, Cucumbers, Tomatoes, Red Onions, Olives, Feta Cheese 11

What this is is a slice of tomato, with a cuke slice on top,  a red onion slice, another tomato slice and then olives and feta on top.  That's it.  No salad, as I think of a salad.

-----

While of course there are many Meditteranean countries, many people think of a Meditteranean salad as a Greek salad.

The whole idea of lettuce and other leafy greens - except spinach - in a Greek salad is not a true Greek salad, wich doesn't have them (except for a few leaves of spinach, which certainly Davio's could have provided).

In true Greek salads, all the salad ingredients are plated separately, with the person doing the eating - not the chef or server - mixing them into a bowl. A little of this, a little of that on your salad plate, if you will.

Oregano will be crushed between your palms, to release the full flavor of the herb.

So, Davio's is basically correct - but this could have been noted on its menu.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Happy Anniversary, kar!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

In response to reindeergirl's comment:

(quote)

While of course there are many Meditteranean countries, many people think of a Meditteranean salad as a Greek salad.

The whole idea of lettuce and other leafy greens - except spinach - in a Greek salad is not a true Greek salad, wich doesn't have them (except for a few leaves of spinach, which certainly Davio's could have provided).

In true Greek salads, all the salad ingredients are plated separately, with the person doing the eating - not the chef or server - mixing them into a bowl. A little of this, a little of that on your salad plate, if you will.

Oregano will be crushed between your palms, to release the full flavor of the herb.

So, Davio's is basically correct - but this could have been noted on its menu.  (end quote)

Hi, reindeergirl.  Thanks for an informative post.  I like a Greek salad, once in a while.

Christo's in Brockton, people come from all over, just for their Greek salads.

I don't know if they make them the correct way, but they are good! 

Maybe it's the dressing :) 

(pic from their website)

ETA:  Check out my recent recipe posting, I'm making a batch right now!  http://boston.com/community/forums/lifestyle/food/recipes/tomato-bulgur-soup/60/6877433

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

BTW:  I posted this obit in Books.   Michael Palmer lived in Swampscott and was a very kind man.  He helped a lot of people.

Michael Palmer, Doctor Who Became Top Author, Dies at 71  http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/08/books/michael-palmer-tormented-doctor-who-became-top-author-dies-at-71.html?ref=obituaries

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Indeed, I understand that salads don't all need lettuce, but it sounds like that was a very small stack of food for a whole lot of money.

Thanks for the anniversary well wishes!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, I'm back, and well fed this time from Maggiano's.  Love their chicken parm, and their house salad with their own dressing is enough to make a meal of.

Wonderful shopping at the Christmas Festival this year.  Spent about $50 at one particular booth picking out items specifically for each basket.  Can't say what, because sometimes I think there are family members who do jump in here once in a while and read.  Stopped at the flag booth too and bought 2 more garden flags, 1) a cat with a bird sitting on his head; and 2) a flag that has shamrocks and "Erin go bragh" written in green.  Love it.

Of course, we couldn't walk by the Gingerbread House booth without stopping, and enjoyed nibbling men and girls while walking around.

There were more people this year at the fair than I have ever seen before.  We got there at opening and there were long lines out front, and when we left, there were again long lines extending outside, going both directions out the door - never have seen that before at that time of day.   A lot of new vendors.  Gingerbread house display was great.

Don't know who you were responding to, Kargiver re the amount/size of "salad", but suspect Reindeer Girl and RR had comments they had made.  To give you an idea of the "salad", it was the size of a small can of tuna, both in circumference and  height.  Fine dining presentation, I guess, which I certainly am not used to.  Enough about that.  Today's lunch more than made up for it.

Glad DH was happy with his gift.  Hope you have a nice dinner tonight.

Hats you were rather secretive about the "birthday" person, is it perhaps you?

GTW, G.T. did save me a piece of candy pie and brought it down.  Haven't tasted it yet, instead we dug into the frosted brownies.

Brought back something for C.L., but when I gave her a call before the guys left, no answer. Was going to have them just drop me by her door so I could give it to her.  She has been so generous with the produce from their garden.

Off to check on Cheero.  G.T. had bought 3 catnip packets for their 2 cats, and gave one to Cheerio when they saw her rubbing against the bag that had been next to theirs that held them.  She's like a drunken sailor!

Chat tomorrow if anyone's around.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

No TT not mine, a cousin.  I am looking forward to my dinner tonight - I want a burger!

I am glad you had a good time at the holiday fair - it sounds like fun but I had a little event I had to go to today. I did "score" some vintage sheet music and I am trying to decide what I would like to make with it...  Manhoney's has a whole tree decorated in old music themed ornaments.  I did a wreath last year - do I want to do one again?

Kar, glad to hear that DH liked his new toy!  Hope your dinner is yummy and I look forward to hearing about it.

SS, hope your new computer means we will hear from you more. I saw a s&P set in a catalog that made me think of you - it was a clothes rack with two Santa jackets on hangers - the salt and pepper were in the jackets.

Icer, wish we could see pics of your gingerbread handiwork.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hope you don't mind, but since G.T. has multiple decorated trees, I copied your info re the sheet music to him, asking if he had any ideas.

He sent this back:

"I did a whole tree behind the piano with rolled up sheet music and musical instruments. This year I am wrapping presents in sheet music to put under it,"

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

GT is on trend for sure!  Tons of sheet music/christmas decos on Pinterest!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Have you been out to supper already?  Did you get your hamburger?

I was really full but knew I needed something.  Toasted up an English muffin.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I had steak!  'Twas good with mash and veg.  Now I'm doing laundry.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Shutting off computer for the night and trying to find something to watch on TV. Caught a good movie earlier i think it was "Living Out Loud", with Holly Hunter, Danny DeVito and Queen Latifah.  Chat tomorrow or whenever we're on again.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

What a fun day, tt!  I love gingerbread but have eaten most of it raw, lol.  rdg exolained that not all salad is supposed to have lettuce.  Well, yes, of course, but you should get what you pay for imo.  Glad your dinner tonight made up for it, anyway. :)

We had a sublime anniversary dinner at the 111 Chophouse.  Jumbo shrimp cocktail with super horseradishy cocktail sauce (just the way we like it, but it was at my limit), salad that could have had a place on the dessert menu, lamb in rosemary reduction with goat cheese mashed potato and grilled asparagus, and chocolate caramel bread pudding...omgosh, I'm STUFFED and ready for bed.

My brother is a professional pianist; I'll have to tell him about GT's tree - he'll love it.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good Sunday morning,

Up early, restless night, awake every hour or two, and so dark this morning when I looked at the clock at 6:00.  Have yet to hear the weather, whether or not it's going to be a rainy day.

Got on early so I could change my avatar back, but now when I go to the profile page, no avenue to get in and change picture.  Hope I'm not going to be stuck with this "pie", but then, what could be more appropriate for me than sweets as an avatar?!

What a wonderful night you had, Kargiver.  Meal sounds delicious.  Now, will your DH have any repercussions from it?

Waiting to hear from Pingo about the shower, not sure if it's scheduled for today or has already taken place.  I'm sure it was/will be a great success.

Sat down before giving Cheerio her breakfast, so I have a little girl pacing around my feet, mewing to remind me she hasn't eaten yet.  At some point I'm going to run down to the store for the paper and swing by Dunkin for some coffee/and.  Hope it's a good day for all of us.

ETA:  After about 4 more tries, avatar change slot was there, so back to Cheerio.

ETA 2:  Took care of breakfast, had a large frosted brownie and hot hot coffee.  Better than anything I could get at Dunkin!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

tt, thanks for going through the pic trouble to show me and others who missed the pie; glad you got the one of Cheerio back.  Thanks, yes, it was truly fabulous.  DH went very, very light on things that bother him and is doing pretty well today, thanks for asking.  Breakfast sounds good; thought I might never eat, again, lol, but here we are hungry.

Yes, Pingo, we are all eager to hear about the shower!

Got up very late...just getting started.  chat later

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

tried to post a picture...

Sections
Shortcuts