November 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Re: November 2013

Mine's very similar with the rail and stile door construction but it was a family piece that had been painted and over painted - when we went to strip it we discovered some lovely decorative painting on the first layer so we saved some of it. We used it as a changing table for DD.   Would post a pic except that DH has so much stuff piled on it that I would be ashamed...love your dollies!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ah, catnip...nice!  Of course she's a diva, she's fabulous!

Loving all the photos; it's so much better that way, really enhances the chat to see what we're talking about.  I forgot to have DH snap mine, though, last night...food coma.

Oh, I had the other half of my chocolate caramel bread pudding for breakfast.  I could get used to that, omgosh, so decadent and delicious.  The 111 really does it all right.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

BTW - I love making cakes in my 12" round pan.  So much easier than making layers - it's the equivalent of two 8 or 9 inch pans...makes a good base for special cakes too.  Got into the 12" many years ago when I made my sister's wedding cake.  She's a grandma now...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just browsed through the paper - hoping for some wonderful sales in the flyers, but most of it now lies in the discard box.  Did save out the crossword page - at a quick glance it looked like one I might be able to 3/4 finish anyway.

Going to reheat the leftovers from yesterday's chicken parm for my lunch today, will toss together a side salad.  Didn't do any grocery shopping this past week, can't remember the last time I skipped a week, but really didn't need anything, and there's no such thing as going in and just picking up 10 items - at least for me.  Will have to stop somewhere for more f.f. this week and a few other items.  We'll see if I can stick to those few things.

You must be quite a decorator to have made your sister's wedding cake, Hats.  I took a cake decorating class a long time ago, but family soon tired of every cake being festooned with roses!  Plus, my group doesn't care for frosting all that much.  I frosted the brownies yesterday because I don't have an 8" square pan, and my 9" makes the brownies very thin.  Heightened them up a bit with frosting!

Living room is lovely and sunny, and I'm hoping there's something good on TV this afternoon so I can sit in there, knitting and watching.  A nice relaxing Sunday afternoon is what I'm looking forward to.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'd like that better than fussing with a layer cake, as well, hats.  My grandmother used the big cast iron pan for her pineapple upside down cake, though.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Yeah Kar, I don't have any cast iron though, and it seems a bit too late in life to invest not only the $$ but the time in acquiring and sesoning them.  I have been collecting the cornflower blue corning ware casseroles at thrift stores and yard/church sales for some years so I generally use them along with some nice glass pans I was given for a wedding gift...also I use a tube pan quite often.  Plus over the years I have collected a heart shape, an easter egg, xmas trees, teddy bears, etc.  Now a days I only use the 12" once or twice a year. 

TT you do me too much credit.  The wedding cake was just three double tiers, each a different flavor (I think it was almond or coconut?,) lemon and plain yellow, with butter cream scallops etc. and fresh flowers.  Nothing too difficult.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

It sounds beautiful, Hats.  Would have looked lovely on a cake plate on this:

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

So glad to see the new Island in the ROK!  I'd perch there to read the paper with you and a cup of coffee...I am just having second breakfast now...coffee and a blueberry scone!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Lodge cast iron is really excellent quality, made in USA and inexpensive.  It's not enameled, but I don't mind.  Not that you need any if you don't want, but take a look at Lodge if there's even a flicker of interest.  You're obviously all set for cake pans, but you might get a lot of use and enjoyment from one deep frypan.  I use my Dutch oven and 12" frypan a lot.  Never thought I would being a child of a mom who used a non-stick pan for about everything.  I didn't learn to cook from her...more than enough other things to make up for it, just not that.  Thank goodness for the Food Network, lol.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

TT I love your pictures. Does Cheerio have stripes on her fur? Very pretty. The ROK looks very relaxing. 

I can post from my iphone. In fact, doing so right now!

Heading on a nature walk with the girls. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks, Rama.  Yes, Cheerio's a plain tiger cat.  Nothing fancy about her except she's a diva!

As for the ROK, I think I would have been sorry if I had turned that into a dining room, it is a pretty room, and I can say that because I didn't put it together, G.T. did one year as a surprise for my birthday.

The sun is staying mostly in here now, very dark grey sky, with just patches of blue here and there.  Found a movie, "The Glass House" which I would still be sitting in there watching, except commercials keep going to the abused animals, and I can't stand to even listen to that, let alone watch it.  My mind goes to the worse scenarios.  So, during commercials, I get up and do something else, like come in and check the boards!

Enjoy your walk with the little ones.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Huh, maybe just certain phones work...I don't have a smart phone so can't add personal experience.

Rama, I hope it's more pleasant weather out your way for a walk.  It's windy, raw, cold, and rainy here...ugh!

ETA: Enjoy your movie, tt, minus the commercials!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Cheerio can't stand to listen to them either -

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Gracie, too.  Nice spot, Cheerio!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Kar as a GS leader I know all about Lodge, and of course love the cast iron dutchie for outdoor use (in fact there's a dutchie and grill down in the cellar that are only used over the fire...)  but I don't have room for anything more.  In fact, I still have wedding gifts in the attic I haven't used!  And stacks of pots and pans I never use.  Last week I gave away a crockpot and a frying pan...stuff just seems to come here and never leave...no more stuff!  Now a $2 thrift shop divided corningwear blue cornflower casserole is different of course - that's what I call inexpensive...so I made a place...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Little excitement here.  Went down cellar to change Cheero's box - water all around water heater.  Called my 2 sons and they came over and shut off cold water intake and hot water valves and shut off gas pilot.  Put in call to plumber and had to leave a message.  Hope there isn't too much more water in heater to drain off.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Hi everyone. Hope your shower went well Pingo. Congrats on the new computer ss. Hats nice inspiration you found. Nice to hear from you Icer. Kar, what did you get your anniversary? Tt, the pictures of Cheerio are adorable, she sure loves catnip and I love her spot that she has taken for her nap. The ROK looks like a lovely room and I love the island it's perfect. That space looks very inviting and I'd like to come over and have a scone with you in there. Rama I am unable to post from my iPhone but can from my iPad.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm full up in the kitchen, too, hats - I understand.

oh, no, tt!  Hope it's nothing serious and gets fixed fast.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Winter, my stove counts for a plethora of presents, lol, at my insistance.  Yes, I need a stove, but my dream stove is more of a luxary given the price tag.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

It's a water heater that needs to be replaced - bought it in 2002 - that's serious enough.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ugh...I didn't know a leak meant it was definitely a gonner.  :(

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Oh no tt. Hope the plumber calls you back soon. DH has been trying to fix our toiled for two hours thought it was all setand now it keeps running again so off he went to get another part. He's back now hope he can fix it. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Just saw the island - love it there!  The baskets make it go particularly well.

ETA: Winter, just saw a This Old House about a forever running toilet; I think it was yesterday if you want to check out their website.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Winter, your toilet probably needs the whole inside replaced.  It's usually sold in a kit.  Paid the plumber a hefty price to replace mine - but still cheaper than a new toilet.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Yes, TT, we did that once because we have the old full-flush toilets - hate these modern low-flow ones that are always clogging.  I am so sorry to hear about your water heater - but only 11 years old?  One would hope that it would last longer than that!  Is that the expected life for a gas water heater?  We have oil...so I don't know these things but I don't seem to remember them being replaced so often when my parents/grandparents had them.  Hope it can be repaired cheaply!

Sections
Shortcuts