November 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: November 2013

Think the dryer has shut off from the clothes I finally did wash and then throw in.  Now for a nice warm nightie right out of the dryer, and my robe and slippers.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT after i came home from school and took off my long underwear I put my jammies on - no sense getting dressed again only to undress tonight.  But you are right - a flannel nightie warm from the dryer is the best!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

SS and I were talking last night about books, and one thing lead to another, and we got talking about the Readers' Digest dolls everyone was making back in the 70's.  She said she had directions in her basement and was going to send them to me, but today I googled it and came up with directions complete with pictures - it was the Mr. and Mrs. Santa dolls that everyone made out of them.  have been trying to  think of crafty gift I could tuck in with cookie baking GD's presents this Christmas, and in my own mind thought of a doll for dresser, made out of that - Oh, now I'm giving myself another idea.  years ago when Lilly's mom was 8 or so, I made kleenex box covers and the one I made for her was a girl with red hair in a white dress - all out of plastic canvas.  I wonder if I kept that instruction book.  Also wonder if they still make the sheets of the holed plastic canvas.  guess a trip to Michael's is in order.  Think she would like the kleenex box cover better.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Reminds me of the braided yarn octopus dolls....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Good morning all - wow, everyone has been so busy.  Pingo, so glad the shower went off so well.  Sorry to didn't like the new Legal.  Have you tried the new Yard House that opened up there?  DH and I were up that way last weekend and saw it and thing we may go back.  That night we just went to Sylvan St Grill, but maybe next time we'll hit there.

Trying to get a headcount for TG.  Of course we have some "maybes."  I wish they would just let me know one way or another to I can cook accordingly.  I could have anywhere from 9-15 people!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Princess, I have to laugh - DH and I thought about trying Davio's or the Yard House a few weeks ago but we opted for Sylvan Street instead.  A good, reliable place.  Ended up in that nice back room.

As for Thanksgiving, usually the traditional meal will stretch so if I were you I would cook for 12 and if 15 arrive, well, just a little less for everyone!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Cold - 26 out here this morning.  Cheerio has acted accordingly - has eaten and is in front of the heat register in the toyroom.

How are you feeling, Princess?  I know what you mean about difficulty getting a head count. G.T. has the same problem at Thanksgiving, with Lilly's family.  This year, surprisingly, they all said, "yes" early on.  I think due to little Lilly.  She announced up front, "I want to go to Uncle G.T.'s".  She loves the house, I think she feels like a Princess (no play on words, princess!) with the sweeping staircase, and wait until she sees the trees he already has decorated as part of his Christmas party celebration.  Their friend who lives in Chelsea now, will pick me up and I'm taking down directions of the way he drives out there, much nicer route I think, than the way they go.

Hoping it warms up a bit by mid morning, do have a couple of things I should get out for today.  If not, there's always tomorrow.

Yes, Hats, I remember the octopus dolls too.  Seems as tho there were a  lot of craft books around then.  I was heavy into the plastic canvas and yarn, and made a lot of decorative things for family.  Always enjoyed crafting.

No need to state what my breakfast will be this morning - you remember I frosted the wowie cake I took out yesterday.  Can't think of a better way to start the day than chocolate in any form with a soup mug full of hot hot coffee.

Pingo, hope you are feeling recovered and rested today.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to Ihavemyhats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Princess, I have to laugh - DH and I thought about trying Davio's or the Yard House a few weeks ago but we opted for Sylvan Street instead.  A good, reliable place.  Ended up in that nice back room.

As for Thanksgiving, usually the traditional meal will stretch so if I were you I would cook for 12 and if 15 arrive, well, just a little less for everyone!

[/QUOTE]

I would lean the other way - better to have leftovers - you can always send home a packed up meal with a couple.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Went to bed last night around 8. Slept all the way through to 6:30 this morning. Amazing what a good night's sleep can do to you. My over tired brain and tired bones are ready to go.
    Your octopus dolls make me think of the barrette dolls, I once made for my twin nieces. A round  face with two long braids, where they could attach all their different barrettes. It was a big hit at the time. They were still using them as teenagers.
    Oh, Thanksgiving, haven't even had time to think about that. None of the boys will be here, so it may just be DH and me. Which is fine with both of us. Could invite my SIL, her DH, my nephew and his family. My nephew and his wife and 3 kids, who have been at our home for every holiday we celebrated here, have never invited us back - ever. It is getting a bit of a one way street, and I am kind of tired to be the host for them. Oh yeah, they do have children and are busy, but so did I then, and I still had 20 - 25 people for holiday celebrations.
    Have booked our tickets to go to TX for Christmas. Looking forward to that.
    My hips are still behaving. That cortisone shot worked wonders. I am so grateful. Don't know, how I would have gone through the shower w/o it.
    Catching up on laundry, then off to the office. Have a good day everyone.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Pingo now that your hips are so much better maybe you and DH should plan something fun for THX rather than hosting others.  A trip to NYC to see the store windows - or go to the UK to see Harrods and UK son - I think you said he is in the North - Birmingham? but a trip to NH might be just as restful as long as you avoid shopping meccas....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hats, funny you should suggest going to see son in Birmingham. We thought about that, since he will be traveling to Argentina and Brasil over Christmas. But -- he is going to a conference in Edinburgh the week after TG. So he had already planned to visit a friend in Edingburgh for TG and then go to the conference.
    A trip to NY City sounds like a great idea too. We used to go every year with two other couples. Rented a limo back and forth, went to see  the Radio City Hall show, had a fabulous dinner and came back the same day. For me a trip to NH will be just as great. Outlet shopping in Conway for Christmas. But as we are spending Christmas in TX, I will order most of the gifts online and have them shipped directly there. DH is talking of going to Foxwood. Haven't been there in quite a while. I am not worried about sitting home alone. Even if we do, DH and I enjoy each others company.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning. Pingo thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures, place looks great. How did your DIL like her Pandora bracelet? Princess, nice to hear from you. We are not hosting Thanksgiving, but I'm not sure what we are doing yet. tt, your breakfast sounds good.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Princess, we haven't tried the Yardhouse in Lynnfield yet. So far I haven't heard anything terrific about any the new restaurants just opened in Market Street. We went to Legal C Bar. Don't think we will go back anytime soon. Very noisy and a terrible service, small servings and high prices. The Yardhouse has long lines and already had several brawls being dispersed by the police. tt did Davio's, and apparently that one also has small servings for top prices. DH and i went to Wagamama the day it opened. UK son had taken him to one in Birmingham, that was great. This one just so so. Kind of disappointed. It would have been nice to have a few new restaurants on the North Shore. Maybe as time goes by, they will improve and maybe lower their prices to be competitive.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

Still snow on the ground here, and after 2.5 hours of the stove going full blast we have it up to 61 degrees!

Pingo, what a wonderful spread and fun shower!  I, too, got a henna design when trips' mom and dad got married.  What fun!  Too bad about Legal C, but at least you tried it and know now to avoid...like we do abouout Limoncello.  It's worth something to know and to have a bad experience to make all the good ones seem that much better.

tt, I'm just sick thinking of the disappointment over the train.  I have wood workers in my family and can't imagine.  So glad you have your hot water back; bad season to lose it.

Prin, if you plan for 12 like hats suggested, you'll probably have enough for 15, anyway, and if you only get 9 you and DH will eat well for a few days, no cooking.

ss, thanks for the info on the computer - I hope you love it and get a lot of use.  (I'll never buy a Dell, again...shoddy physical design.)  Are you all over your injuries from your fall?

I ate light and drank a lot of water yesterday and found that for my super duper mega indulgent weekend I didn't gain an ounce. Can't keep that up, but at least no damage done, and it was soooooo good to let go and chow down.  My favorite treat was my cannoli from Mike's - glad it's a 2 hour drive or there'd be trouble.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

tt, your comment about the trains your Dad so lovingly crafted and their reception, reminded me of the embroidered gifts I made for my Aunts and cousins for Christmas, they all said Thank you and how nice, but I never saw the articles in their houses.....the same with crafts I used to make at Christmas time for all......some folks just don't enjoy things unless they cost a lot of money, I myself would enjoy any handmade item, treasuring the thought and time that someone took for me.  Oh well, to each his own.

Pingo your shower soundsl lovely, the pictures look real nice, you must be so excited, your first grandchild.....

Take care all, if you go out bundle up, sure is chilly out today.  ss

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Kar, we may get DS a surface tablet for Christmas, since the new one came out you can get the other one at a lower price. I like that it's light enough for him to bring with him and that it ocmes with Office is a great bonus so he can do his homework. I love my iPad but it doesn't have the same type of functionally. This would be his only present except for the usually stocking stuffers.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Taking a sit down break, have folded laundry, picked up around, thrown wash in and then into dryer, and had a phone call from a friend to boot.  Gettng together next week and go Mblhd kalooping - as  long as there's none of that "S" word!

Winter, what did you all think of your local high school open house?  I meant to ask my son when he was over Monday, if they had gone to any.  Knowing them they'll wait until next year to do them.

Waiting to hear back from pumpkin about the "cinnamon" cookies.  Also sent an email to G.T. that I'm waiting to hear back from - was asked if I'd like a  job yesterday!  I felt like saying, "Do you know how OLD I am?"  Laughed and they said, "No, we're hiring, you'd fit right in."  No thanks.   I'm flattered, but hated all the years I had to work and wanted to just be able to stay home. Now I'm right where I want to be.  As for G.T., I'm sure once he re reads it for the third time  and realizes yes, it does say someone wanted to hire his mother, he'll encourage me to take it!  Only job I would ever take would be if he ever gets around to opening a place of his own - 

Enough sitting, want to clean the fridge out and this is a good time before I do the next grocery shopping.  Then maybe the kitchen floor after I check the bird feeder and make sure there's still seed in there.

Pingo, I think it's a nice idea for just the two of you to do/go someplace different this Thanksgiving.  I loved the Macy's Day parage, but that was a lot of years ago, and there is a lot of walking involved that day.  We went for the week-end, and I could still walk all over town back then.  Doesn't really matter what you do, something that you both would enjoy.

Oh, and don't let me sour you on Davios.  Evening dinners might be different, certainly worth a try.  I wouldn't have minded paying extra, in fact expected to, but that mediterranean salad should not have been listed as it was, with the other full size salads.  That was my main beef - oh, and the noise level.  Wouldn't you think with a new building they would have taken that into consideration?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Nice, Winter!  However, I would highly recommend getting the Surface 2 - it corrected deal breaking (from reviews I read) problems.  I think from my research it will be well worth the extra for what amounts to be a serious bug fix version of what was a not-so-great tablet.  (And, I'm disgusted with Apple for chinsing on functionality, resting on their brand imo.)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

A job, tt?  Funny, who would think you had time?  LOL!!

Speaking of that, DH asked me to make another batch of applesauce with the stored apples today.  It's a nice one to can; the steam will be good for the house.

The fire is still going full tilt at about 400 degrees, and the house is up to 63.  It must still be very cold out.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Kar I would get the Surface 2, the Surface 2 Pro just came out. Beacuse I'm considered a student with a student email I get 10% off at Mcrosoft. :) So will probably get the 64 GB, I'm sure they will have it on sale before Christmas and we'll take a ride to NH to get it. Oh I love my iPad, I didn't get it to do that kind of stuff. The Surface is fine for what he needs it for and we have a PC at home, since there isn't much memory on the Surface.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Glad you are getting the newer model Surface, Winter, Kar is right about the old one.  I considered a tablet but because I do so much writing and my eyes are not the best, I wanted a large screen so settled for another laptop. But for a young person the tablet is the way to go.

Has anyone been to the new Microsoft store in the Burlington Mall?  I have been making friends with the kids who work there, they are a very nice crew for the most part.  I secretly covet the new xbox with Dance Central - so much fun and great exercise.    But don't tell anyone!

TT, exactly where were you offered a job?  I know you would be a conscientious employee, anyone would be glad to have you  - but it is fun to be home, isn't it.  I am preparing to clean the fridge...but have stopped to do some crafty stuff such as wash the tile I am going to turn into a desk coaster...and then I remembered hearing about turning old cd cases into coasters so I went to get one to wash and try out - and then I went over to Pinterest to get directions and then I got distracted again!  Thank heaven I made a list early this morning!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I understand it is hard for anyone to believe I was actually asked about a job, Hats, but I was, and doing the same type of work I did all my working career.  Now if it had been in a place like Michael's or some other crafty store - then it might be a different response from me!  I'd be in my glory all day - and might even get a discount to boot!

My fridge is all done and sparkling (and empty, just about!) except for the door stuff.  Much as I hate to, am going to toss a couple of the salad dressings, they've been in there too many months, and some hot pepper relish that I bought the last time I was up to the General Store in Moultonborough - 3?  4? years ago!  It's a wonder we aren't all - whatever you get from outdated spicey things!

ETA:  Cheerio just came in.  Said she feels like a tuna melt for lunch, so I'll be off the computer for a while -

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Winter, I am sure your son will be excited getting the tablet for Christmas. But do you know, many high schools now distribute iPads for the students? They are to use them for homework assignments and class notes. I would check w/ the schools, DS is considering, to see if they have such a program, before you spend a lot of money on something, he might not be able to use. Just saying.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ohhhh, I forgot about Pro so you figured out what I wrongly assumed, lol.  Yes, I'm regretting having saved $100 to get the 32.  Thinking about exchanging it.  But, then again, there are ways around it...waffling.  Anyway, nice discount and great choice - he'll love it.

I like my iPad, too, but a PORT would be nice so I can print from it or upload photos.

ETA:  tt, why would it be hard to imagine your being offered a job?  Anyway, it's nice you have the flexibility to do what you want. :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from keane5050. Show keane5050's posts

In response to Winter2011Bride's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Kar, we may get DS a surface tablet for Christmas, since the new one came out you can get the other one at a lower price. I like that it's light enough for him to bring with him and that it ocmes with Office is a great bonus so he can do his homework. I love my iPad but it doesn't have the same type of functionally. This would be his only present except for the usually stocking stuffers.

[/QUOTE]

Hi Winter.  I don't post often but I try to catch up from time to time.  Just wanted to give you heads up that many of the Catholic high schools require Ipads now.  My daughter just graduated from HS and beginning her Junior year they were required.  I wouldn't spend too much on a tablet if you have to change over to an ipad next year.

Sections
Shortcuts