November 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: November 2013

OMG, wasn't trying to "one up" you on pics, Kargiver.  I've been trying for 2 hours to move pic from my "paint" file to my regular pic files so I could post it.  FINALLY did it, but don't know how I got there!

Adorable Gracie.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ooooh, breathtaking!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, gosh, tt, that thought never crossed my mind, but thanks :)

ETA: 2 hours?!  Thanks for the effort, the pic was worth it, what color and absolute beauty.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Winter, yes, if my girls tell me they want to go to private school I would certainly look into it. Sounds like your son is interested in where he goes to school which is great - certainly much better than him being indifferent!

Love Friday mornings because we don't have to be anywhere in the morning and can relax in PJs and have a break from the usual rushed morning routine. DD2 (15 months) has discovered she can climb so my morning has been spent between folding laundry and rescuing her from somewhere I think is dangerouS like standing on top of a kitchen chair. DD2 also is obsessed with our (very good natured) dog. Follows her around and hugs her so I've been watching that too. Basically she is a handful! A cute one but still!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Rama, curiousity is a sign of intelligence!  Just keep telling yourself that as you haul her down from yet another height.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

So cute, Rama!  What a relief the dog is doing so well with your LOs.  I think Gracie would tolerate a toddler, but she's not much of a cuddler.  Good thing is, though, that when she's had enough she doesn't snap just retires to her crate.  My friends triplets are climbers, too, so the 3 yo sis has to remember to push in her dining chair or there will be a 17 month old heading for the edge of the table in no time, lol.  Like hats says, it's the ones that aren't a handful you have to wonder about! ;)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

What a beautful picture tt, is that a Christmas cactus? I have one that was my MIL's but it just have the leafs on it. Too cute Rama, sometimes I miss those days of the fast little feet. Gracie is too funny Kar.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

It i s a Christmas cactus, or Thanksgiving cactus.  They bloom either time.  Be patient and fertilize it around the holiday time, and you'll get blossoms.  Can't tell by the picture if this is the huge  one he  has, or if he has cut it back and separated.  He goes where no man dares and his plants survive!  It is indeed that "G"reen "T"humb !

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

SS, are we having Kentucky Fried today??  I'll bring the biscuits.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from keane5050. Show keane5050's posts

In response to allreadymarried's comment:

A neighbor of mine had some issues with bullying at a local catholic school.  She asked several times how they were handling the situation - no adequate response.  Then she asked for their bullying plan that schools were supposed to submit to the state.  Response we don't have to do that because we are not accountable to them.  She then asked if they had any intent of developing a like plan - response no.  This happened 2 years ago.  I just heard from another neighbor who's small children go to the same school that she asked them again basically to see their response and it was the same.  So where is the caring, respect you were speaking to.  Both of these families traveled over 30 mins each way to attend this school because it was to be enrolled in.  So there are agruments for both sides. 

When my daughter was in the 4th grade, which, from my experience, is the start of the "mean girl syndrome" some of the girls at school were excluding others from their groups.  Everything from "you can't play with us" to "you can't come to my birthday party".  Although my daughter wasn't directly involved, it was very painful for her to watch.  She is a gentle soul and definitely a peacekeeper.  

The teachers observed the behavior and the next thing you know, there were weekly meetings with all the girls to talk about what was happening and how hurtful it was.  The principal of the school moderated the meetings.  They brainstormed about different ways they could handle the situation.  It was SO helpful to have all the girls together in a safe place to talk about the situation without pointing fingers at the offenders.  It took some time, but since the girls were still so young and very much respected the authority of the teachers and principal, their behavior improved.  They regulated each other! By the way, this was done after school and the teachers and principal were happy to give up their time to help.

Anyway, enough about this topic.  We can agree to disagree.  I know you want what is best for your family and you will make the choices you feel are best for you. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My school experience was that of having my life threatened, needing armed police officers at the school daily for the gangs (Tampa in the 80s), not learning much of anything for years on end (Maine, Florida, New Hampshire), being in "gifted" programs that thought that word simply meant you had more time on your hands for busy work, and having no high school friends because I chose not to drink or have sex (and babies) EXCEPT for the two blessed years I got to go to private school because my family scraped enough money together to rescue me for just that long.  It was abysmal, every year in every school system in all three states. (By the way, in Florida, the worst of all for academics, I'd have had to say "bad" or the teacher would dock me for making up the word "abysmal.")  A staggering percentage of my high school classmates have kids in their mid to late 20s...I'm 41 and my school peers probably have grandkids about to start the cycle over.  

Indeed, I can respect and appreciate that some people like allreadymarried who had a good experience with capable teachers and safe environments who believe wholeheartedly that criticism of the public school system is unfair, but maybe this discussion has broadened some viewpoints a bit. Either way, I agree, I've said more than enough about this clearly touchy subject.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Lazy lunch of reheated baked potato with garlic dill green tomatoes...yum!  Needs a beer, though...hm, perfect, Sam Adams Pumpkin Ale.  Cheers!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Checked in with SS a little while ago and fam got together and went out for breakfast.  That worked for everyone, and there MAY be a little Kentucky Fried Chicken (her favorite) in the future for tonight.  Anyway, don't know if there'll be free time for her to get on the computer. We'll have to wait and see.

Found the bag with the 3/4's finished Christmas stocking in it.  The heel is done and turned and now time to do the over-embroidering I do since I can't knit/count the design in.  Will have to get her bro's stocking to go by, made a few variations on different ones, and want to be sure hers is the same as his.  Still have the toe to do, but easier to get the embroidery done before the bottom and top are joined at the toe.

Oops, missing Y&R.  Check in later and see what's cookin.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, yeah, KFC, I crave it every year at this time...odd, huh?  ;)  I hope she gets her KFC party!

tt, your stockings sound so much like my aunt's - hers, too, have a lot of embroidery.  She knits in the basic image, but embroiders Santa's beard, smoke on the chimney, and our names.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

What's cooking is decadence!  I saved the caramel bourbon sauce from the bread pudding I brought home from the 111, and just heated it up and dipped salted apple slices.  Washed it down with the latter half of the pumpkin ale...omgosh, was that a treat.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I give you credit - you have quite the little parties, even all by yourself!  Good for you.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You're my inspiration, tt :)  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Well Kar that sounds lovely. tt, glad you have the heel done, I can only imagine how difficult that would be. Think it's cute that Lily asked where her stocking was. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Looked up the recipe for the caramel...it's so easy.  Found a chocolate bread pudding recipe with it.  Have to be careful, though, or we'll never go to the 111 again. ;)

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/bourbon-caramel-sauce

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

In response to toytrumpet's comment:

It i s a Christmas cactus, or Thanksgiving cactus.  They bloom either time.  Be patient and fertilize it around the holiday time, and you'll get blossoms.  Can't tell by the picture if this is the huge  one he  has, or if he has cut it back and separated.  He goes where no man dares and his plants survive!  It is indeed that "G"reen "T"humb !

I know I've posted this before but...these cactus are 'short day' plants which are prompted to bloom by the days getting shorter.  I take mine outside for the summer, and by the time I bring them in (just before first frost) they have already set blooms.  Mine are blooming now (I have a pink and a white one.)  My Dad used to hang his on tree branches during the summer.

If yours don't have blossoms yet, you need to put them in a place where it will be dark all night - no lights being turned on (say a garage or cellar.)  Water just enough - and when you see the little buds appear you can bring them back to an area where they get light at night.  (This is also the procedure to make poinsettias form their colored 'bracts' and - sans watering and with leaves cut off) for amaryllis. 

Which reminds me, must get my amaryllis (amarylles? amarylla? amaryllia? wonder if it's feminine or neuter...and btw I went to public school but my Latin is still better than most)  out of the downstairs bathroom.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

She also asked her father where all the pictures of her were???  Back when bro was born people had their pics developed.  Now, they are all on computers/phones.  She's a smart cookie, and will speak up with her questions.  I emailed him today to drop off bro's stocking ASAP so I could use it as a guide for hers, and added, "I expect to see these at least out with other decorations, every Christmas.  They're a LOT of work."

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm sure they will be out, tt - ours are hung with joy on the mantle every year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Your mention of your amaryllis reminds me to put a bulb on my list to add to G.T.'s Christmas stocking.  May get one as a gift for his MIL too.

Guess I don't know much about the cactus.  I never did anything special with mine, left it on the same table in this room all year round and about November 1st would start adding fertilizer to the water.  Sometimes I even got blooms on Easter.  Luck of the Irish, I guess, it liked my non-reasoning care of it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to kargiver's comment:

I'm sure they will be out, tt - ours are hung with joy on the mantle every year.

Kargiver, I have never seen her bro's since the first year when DIL told me it was too big to fill.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In response to toytrumpet's comment:

In response to kargiver's comment:

Kargiver, I have never seen her bro's since the first year when DIL told me it was too big to fill.

Much like the train...sigh, sorry.  Their loss, I know they would be so lovely to hang even unfilled.  I can't understand it.

Sections
Shortcuts