November 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Re: November 2013

That looks really nice, TT, and I love those little cones.  I have a branch I picked up somewhere that has 2 of those cones on it that I have saved for years, waiting for the right use. Th island makes a good place to display pretty things!

The ones I picked up the other day were the longer spruce cones (took me two days to get the goo off my hands but it reminded me of chewing spruce gum with my grandmother)  and some of the tiny cones that I think are from hemlock?  I have two pine cone wreaths that my mother made so I am thinking of just making some garlands for the mantel.  We will see whether inspiration strikes.

Oh I see, you are looking for the Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafer cookies for the hats.  They do overcharge for them but they are so good.  I think I saw them at the Burlington MB for 3.99 - they were not in the cookie section but on a pull out stand at the front.  We are fans of the cake you make with the cookies and whipped cream.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Funny thing is, these cones aren't sticky at all.  I expected to have to dry them out in the oven. Maybe because the tree is sooo old?  Most of the cones don't fall from the tree, a few do, but still there are many there to share.  I've a couple of wreaths I made years ago, what a grueling task that is, with wire around each cone and then secured, fitted in, to a wire frame. They were beautiful when done and I displayed them for years, should freshen them up a bit, tucking in new red berries and new bows.  Especially since I have a GD (9 yr old) now, who seems to notice and appreciate crafts of any kind - maybe buy the supplies and let her do the freshening up.

I love swags, but have never had a place since we moved here, to display them.   It's a small house, with small rooms.  That's why I'm delighted with the "island", as you say a nice place to set up displays.  Funny, last time GD was over she said, "How's the smell?" and went right over, opened the cabinet door and stuck her head in - gave me a look like, "Yeah, it still smells."  I'm using it tho, have china bowls etc. in there.  Anything plastic I'm making sure the cover is on, to help the inside not absorb any odor, I hope.  B.S. is still tucked in dishes in the corners too.

Time to shower and dress and get a move on.  Otherwise I'll dilly dally here all morning.  Emailing back and forth with pumpkin's mom.  He and his little bro are both sick, the little one giving her a scare the other night with croup.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Half way through the weekend already...goes so fast.  We love our lazy weekend mornings having breakfast and coffee together watching our favorite shows we saved from the week.

tt, love the pine cones; I have a similar vase that would accomodate them nicely...hm, plenty of pine trees around, too.  Funny no sap, but that's good; what a sticky mess that can be.  Hoping the sick kiddos are doing far better today.  Nighttime is bad for croup...I had it awful.  Spent many a night with my grandmother in the bathroom with the hot shower running for the steam.  That or with my head over a bowl of boiling water and a towel tent.

I started getting in the decorating spirit yesterday while rummaging around the attic for the stockings. :)

Did anyone see the recent Chronical about the Quabbin area?  I'll be going to the farm they showcased, Clover Hill, for cranberries this week to can some gifts for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Will be searching today for safe/tested recipes for cranberry something or other to put up in pints.  Gotta love the internet especially since my mom threw out her mother's recipes because "we don't eat [unhealthy] anymore."  sigh.

ETA: raining here, and it almost looks like it's starting off snow.  35 here so it's possible.  Wouldn't want to be out with DH and Gracie right now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

tt, cones and leaves look nice on your new table...our trip to NH was rewading to say the least, the prices up there astound me, how can the stores do that..Mayo hear is close to $3 a jar, on sale there $1.99, with my coupon was   99cents!, shopping is a science I sure do enjoy...I also got 4 boxes of cereal free, store sale and coupons......running our of space to put stuff without using the basement, so think I'll stay home from NH for awhile.   We also did some Christmas shopping in the CTS. 

Yup, you guessed it, it is so easy to post now, don't have to wait forever for the computer to heat up and go to the page I want.

Thanks again all for my Birthday Wishes, got another present from my DD #3 last night, a Mince Pie, already had some this AM....delicious!!  Take care all and Keep Smiling, ss

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Icer, did you watch Sunday Morning today?  Oh, the tears that brought.  Funny, yesterday my oldest son was asking me about the "camelot years", and I tried to explain to him what hope we felt when John F. Kennedy was elected, and being so optomistic that the future of the country was in good hands now.  It was a wonderful time - and then he was assassinated - I told him I clearly remembered and could still feel, the grief, watching TV when the news broke, and the phone ringing with the nurse from my doctor's office in tears, cancelling all appointments for that afternoon.  This morning's show released all those feelings still indented on my soul all these years later.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good Sunday morning,
    Raw morning to wake up to. DH left a long time ago to clean up his office. Papers and papers accumulate during the week. With him out on the job sites most of the time, those papers are just sitting there. Weekends are usually the time to answer and file them. I would have gone with him, but it was a late night last night, and I am kind of recuperating today. Our dinner party went well. Our company loved the Scandinavian style dinner, I made. We played several rounds of Rummy. A casual and fun night.

Kar, I made an apple crisp too last night. Nice you have found something to make gluten free for DH. I threw in a handful of cranberries in mine. Try that the next time you make it. You must be buying the cranberries in bulk for gifting. I buy mine, when on sale. They freeze well.

Love your fall set up on the island, tt. Very pretty. I haven't done anything yet with the cones we collected in NH. I was busy with the shower, and I don't have a large enough container for them. Must get in gear looking for one. Thinking of sticking in greeneries and cranberries for a fall look. Some of those cones are very pretty sitting on a branch and having moss on them. I will save those for the Christmas decorations, I do every year. I do them with spruce, holly etc. - all cut from our yard - set in a block of fresh flower foam with candles. Depending on the materials I have at hand, I make one or two extra to bring as a hostess gifts. They are always well received.

The Veterans are coming tmw. to do a pick up. So I will spend the day finishing cleaning out my closet. Never knew, I had so many shoes, I never use.
    Have a good Sunday everyone.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

SS, did you get your KFC?  So happy your computer is everything you'd hoped for and you are enjoying it.

tt, that's how I react to the Challenger explosion; I was in 7th grade living in Florida (my mom actually saw it in the sky before she saw it on TV) and remember everything so vividly.  I recorded a documentary style movie about it yesterday and know I'll need the relive-it tissues when I watch.  I know it's not the same as Kennedy's assassination, but really, will there ever be anything that is?  9/11, maybe.  Time does very little, actually, imo, to "heal all wounds."

Pingo, funny we both made crisp last night.  I like the cranberry idea.  I have some from TJ's I'll use today, thanks.

Am going to make a cranberry orange preserves with Pomona's Pectin so it can be low sugar.  Have an email out to them to ensure that subbing oranges for the grapefruit in their recipe is safe pH wise.  They are similar so I think so.  The pH of a recipe is nothing to play around with willy nilly; it's the difference between safe or botulism poisoned food.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT your reflections on pine cone wreath making got me to thinking - the glue gun, and to a lesser extent, the glue stick,  really revolutionized crafting.  If I were going to make a pine cone wreath or tree today, I would just glue them onto a cardboard form with a glue gun.  That star wreath I made - I used the glue gun for the bottom layer, then used the glue stick for the top two layers.  Glue gun again for the hanger and the bow.  The gluing process took very little time.

I decorate more than the walls, too, so don't think you don't have places to hang  creations!  Like Pingo, I go out to the backyard and pick (up) branches (Hurricane Sandy last year left me lots of evergreen branches that I used for swags) and pull up ivy, cut berries and sumac, etc.  I decorate the tops of mirrors and picture frames.  Interior doors can have wreaths and swags hung on them too!  Especially the exterior sides of bathroom and bedroom doors which tend to open in to the room -when closed they add to the decor of the hall - when they are opened, they add to the decor in the room.  The only thing I wire is the bows so they can be removed and reused.  The natural stuff just goes into the woods to decompose...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Looking around my house, I see I'm a person of "swags" already.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT you rock - I love those!

Kar, how about some cranberry chutney - you can find recipes all over the place for that - cranberries and apples are the main ingredients - have you any apples left?

Kar, I recommend this blog: http://thequincetree65.blogspot.com/  although Sue is not as concerned with health issues as you are, she is interested in a lot of other things you might like.

I went thrifting yesterday - got two ll bean supima cotton mock neck shirts and a Coldwater creek quilted zip vest for (I think) $9.   Since an ll bean shirt and a vest are my cold weather uniform I am happy about that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Still working on posting pictures...i guess I have to practice...I came in through Chrome

The first picture is Zachary in his Halloween costume...a skeleton...the second is a work in progress image of one of the large Gingerbreadhouses...this one had a firehouse theme to it

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I had to stop loading and reload the page to see your pictures, Icer, but Zachary is so gorgeous! 

Do you build the gingerbread houses on a wood scaffolding?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/2013/11/17/boston-medical-teams-going-the-aid-typhoon-victims/Nq5TpTICAkutyZDaSGpFEP/story.html

I'm proud to say that my cousin is in this picture!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Oh my gosh, Zachary is so much bigger than I pictured!  What a cutie.  Send him over, will you?  I just came in from raking the leaves that had blown into piles against my back stairs -  just pulled them with the rake over into the garden area.  Big enough pile now to jump in!

Realistic looking firehouse.  Is it firemen in the upstairs windows?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I saw that piece on the news today, doctors from MGH.  Wonderful group they have formed to help in worldwide disasters.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I do use a frame...but we use Azack...folks make decks out of this material...it is lightweight...I know I have a ways to go but I like to jup these hurdles as they arise

Zachary is a cutie...and that face is one he makes often...like when he sees anything he likes and says, "Oh Wow"

He says my name now too...and of coarse Papa...I am going to have him all day on Wenesdays and half a day on Fridays next semester...I will have to give up my Meals on Wheels but its just one semester

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

The firemen aren't upstairs but their boots are(Licorice)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

congrats to your cousin Hats

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Zach is a heartbreaking cutie pie already!  Love the house, too icer.

hats, I will check out the blog, thanks!

crisp came out yummy. :)

talked to FIL just now post thyroid surgery he had Thursday evening - he's doing great!  Sending card tomorrow.

Roasted chicken legs and sautéed mushrooms for dinner tonight.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I was wondering what to have for supper, Kargiver.  Made a batch of brownies and a bowl of tapioca pudding this afternoon, and your supper sounds like the perfect beginning!  I'll bring the desserts, OK?

Oh, I've also some fresh spinach I'll contribute.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, definitely, spinach would be lovely.  And, who wouldn't want a yummy brownie?  30 min 'til the legs come out.  The mushroom gravy is bubbling away on the stove...come on over. :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Been craving Tapioca for weeks....soup again here.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Wow, how warm!  And, good thing, too, or I'd be brushing off my car and driving in the snow to my appointment.  Yay for RAIN instead.

Speaking of weather, gosh, the tornados...such a sad thing to wake up to.

finishing java and hurrying to get ready; DH left later than usual today so that pushed my schedule forward.  Have to leave every Monday by 8:22.

Have a good morning, everyone!

Sections
Shortcuts